Tube Amplifier Kits

Niteshade

• Tubes: Audio's glow plug. Get turbocharged!
    • Niteshade Audio
Tube Amplifier Kits
« on: 10 Jan 2009, 01:33 am »
How would you folks like some kits to build?

Any kit I make would be based on point to point wiring, like in the days of early Eico (ST-40, ST-70)

Everybody's skill level is different. I can provide kits with full color photos, included in a booklet or can produce a kit for those who just want the parts and schematics. We're flexible!

Some ideas:
1. 15 to 50 watt stereo kits
2. 100 watt monoblocks

Included in your kit would be:
1. Pre drilled & punched enclosure
2. Painted (if you like)
3. All the necessary parts & tube amp wire (transformers included)
4. All the tubes

I would like to know how many would be genuinely interested.  If you are interested, please state what kind of amplifier you'd like to build.

Niteshade

• Niteshade Audio
Re: Tube Amplifier Kits
« Reply #1 on: 10 Jan 2009, 02:40 pm »
So- do you folks like to make amps yourself or have them already made? Any DIY'ers out there? (What a silly question!)

Gvt1911

« Reply #2 on: 10 Jan 2009, 04:01 pm »
I personally would like to see 100+ watt mono blocks or stereo kits..Since we are building these from "Kits", please give a choice of resistor types and a choice of "important" capacitors , or none at all...Leave it up to the builder to decide what HE would like to install...Metal should be prepunched, but unfinished...Lot's of platers and auto body shops and spray cans out there....Last, leave out the tubes...I always hate it when any kit comes with subpar tubes just to fill the need...Hookup wire is questionable also...Most guys upgrade to some exotic wire...Just my 2 cents... :wink:

Niteshade

• Niteshade Audio
« Reply #3 on: 10 Jan 2009, 06:10 pm »
I have no problems with any of that. We're looking at the true definition of 'Custom'. When it comes to kits, there's allot of flexibility. Nothing is set in stone.

FOLKS: The more input the better!

I personally would like to see 100+ watt mono blocks or stereo kits..Since we are building these from "Kits", please give a choice of resistor types and a choice of "important" capacitors , or none at all...Leave it up to the builder to decide what HE would like to install...Metal should be prepunched, but unfinished...Lot's of platers and auto body shops and spray cans out there....Last, leave out the tubes...I always hate it when any kit comes with subpar tubes just to fill the need...Hookup wire is questionable also...Most guys upgrade to some exotic wire...Just my 2 cents... :wink:

blizzard

« Reply #4 on: 10 Jan 2009, 10:35 pm »
Hi Blair,
  I don't know about others.  But, I like multiamp setups on very high efficiency drivers.  Most probably, if I used a tube amp, I would use it on the high frequency driver and/or the tweeter.  So from a tube amplifier kit I would like to see the following:

-- stunning top end extension and clarity for use on tweeters and high frequency drivers (no sibilance - very important)
  -- design using tubes that are easy to come by and not too expensive
  -- design that makes it easy to adjust the bias on each tube
  -- XLR input (balanced) option
  -- decent amount of physical space inside the case to allow for future mods or larger caps
  -- dual mono layout

I'm sure there are a few other things that would be nice.  But the above issues are the first things that came to me.  Low power (a few watts) is fine.  But, it must be crystal clear without harshness.

Steve

kyrill

« Reply #5 on: 11 Jan 2009, 11:43 pm »
my 2 cnts

Explain the electronic diagram. Why do you believe it sounds so good?
Steve is doing it for his Decware amps, you can sense the love and hrs of listening
in designing the amps

Make the price of the kits based on options
1) clear building instructions with photos
2) choice for metal or carbon resistors,  better caps , own hook up wire
as you are doing already choice in tube rectifier or not, choice in simple or better pws
3) when appropriate.  choice in FB and when the ultimate point is found  the builder can replace the pot with a fixed better sounding resistor
4) freedom for later upgrades so the structural design of the amp is upgrade friendly
5) choice for wooden or metal enclosure or mix, wood with copper foil glued to the wood
6) as you already do choice for tube families ( preferably non expensive tubes)
7) offer it completely build for a reasonable extra price

but most of all
why choosing for yr kits? Why would it sound good?

:D succes

BillB

« Reply #6 on: 11 Jan 2009, 11:57 pm »
I like off the wall tubes...easy to find stuff that is cheap but good sounding.

I like off the wall tube usage too...been kicking around an EL84 preamp, though a 6aq5 looks more likely...

For single ended amps a parallel/SE option is cool

UL to triode/pentode mode is a must
Variable feedback (I just installed 3 settings in my amp)

Niteshade

• Niteshade Audio
« Reply #7 on: 17 Jan 2009, 12:50 pm »
Thanks for all the replies!

There have been several people looking at this thread. I am wondering how many people are interested in kit amplifiers- mine or anybody else's? I would be happy to put together a kit, but would like to know how many builders are out there who would like to make a point to point wiring based kit.

Offering kits professionally assembled is a great idea and of course not an issue. I can offer specialized components as well- capacitor, resistor, transformer, etc... upgrades.

The instructions will come on a CD with large photos as well as PDF files with written instructions on them.

OK- Who is into kit amplifiers? I hear people talking about chip amps all the time. I can make kits that easy to build.

JohnR

« Reply #8 on: 18 Jan 2009, 12:52 pm »
Blair, I think you need to actually develop a kit and offer it for sale. With any luck, and if it's cheap enough, someone will buy it and post about it. Sales might build up from there, and then prices can be gradually made more reasonable (for you).

Kits are tough, though, and I suspect that tube amp kits are even harder, because there's cost in iron (and additional for shipping) that is hard to work around.  Have you considered the preamp/linestage market - a clone of the front half of the HF-81, for example.

Just some thoughts... thanks ;)

JohnR

Niteshade

• Niteshade Audio
« Reply #9 on: 18 Jan 2009, 09:31 pm »
I was thinking about it- but wanted to test the waters before spending time and money on something people may not want. Perhaps making a kit is the best way to feel things out after all. If nobody wants it, I'll just put it together myself and sell it.

For a first time kit, I believe a single ended 6L6 amplifier would be best. Preamplifiers are prone to noise issues if things are not exactly right, but the 6L6 is user friendly , inexpensive and produces fantastic audio (with the right circuit).

One other reason for the 6L6- Octal sockets are easier to solder to. The driver would be a 6SN7.

Folks- how about a Single Ended 6L6 amplifier kit?  aa

guest1632

« Reply #10 on: 2 Feb 2009, 11:55 pm »
How would you folks like some kits to build?

Any kit I make would be based on point to point wiring, like in the days of early Eico (ST-40, ST-70)

Everybody's skill level is different. I can provide kits with full color photos, included in a booklet or can produce a kit for those who just want the parts and schematics. We're flexible!

Some ideas:
1. 15 to 50 watt stereo kits
2. 100 watt monoblocks

Included in your kit would be:
1. Pre drilled & punched enclosure
2. Painted (if you like)
3. All the necessary parts & tube amp wire (transformers included)
4. All the tubes

I would like to know how many would be genuinely interested.  If you are interested, please state what kind of amplifier you'd like to build.

Hi, How about some preamp kits too? Especially ones that can drive with a low impedance any SS amps?

Ray Bronk

DustyC

« Reply #11 on: 3 Feb 2009, 12:07 am »
Count me in for a set of 100 watt monoblocks (either KT-88 or 6550 based) on a form factor that would allow both amps to sit on a 19" wide rack (say 9" wide and 18" deep). Cage optional. I can get a faceplate built.

blizzard

« Reply #12 on: 3 Feb 2009, 12:36 am »
Hi Nightshade,

A 6L6 single ended sounds good.  Some questions:

1.  When you say it produces fantastic audio with the right circuit, is there any harshness at all in the upper frequencies?  And at the same time, are the upper frequencies extended or do they roll off early?

2.  Is it possible to have a balanced input option?

3.  Are the 6L6 tubes readily available?

4.  What would the approximate cost of the kit be?

Thanks,         
                    Steve

Thebiker

« Reply #13 on: 3 Feb 2009, 02:40 am »
How do you feel about tube based phono pre-amps? 

I would rather do some work than spend a bunch of hard earned cash.

Walt

EDS_

« Reply #14 on: 3 Feb 2009, 03:27 am »
Blair,
What would the output be in terms of wattage via a 6L6 machine?

Ed

Niteshade

• Niteshade Audio
« Reply #15 on: 4 Feb 2009, 11:14 am »
Hi-

All your ideas are GREAT and I'll answer the questions as quickly as I can.

Blair

Niteshade

• Niteshade Audio
« Reply #16 on: 4 Feb 2009, 11:19 am »
Preamp Kits:

I will develop preamp kits, including phono preamps as time permits.

I have a dual tube preamplifier available now that would be fantastic in kit form. It's in the middle of some circuit revisions. When that's over, I'll build another one and document it as it's being assembled for a kit.

A phono preamp will be looked into this summer.

JakeJ

« Reply #17 on: 4 Feb 2009, 12:20 pm »
Hi Niteshade,

I would absolutely love to see someone come out with a nice range of kits that run the gamut of SET to high wattage UL/triode big boys.

As to preamp designs, if you want to stick to point-to-point then I vote for a design that can be both linestage or full-function on a single chassis. the end user would choose the options he/she desired. I present this as I like the new preamp that Musical Concepts/Musical Design is developing, it is modular and based on a motherboard with plug-in daughterboards that allow the end user to use any tube desired 6V or 12V, noval or octal, with phono and buffered tape loops modules. Very cool idea, it keeps overall mechanical parts to a minimum, simplifies and reduces the kit maker's cost of inventory, and packing and shipping issues and costs.

I think the biggest hurdle is providing good enough documentation to make the kit as fool-proof as possible. Technical support can eat a kit provider alive and is the primary reason why many companies stopped providing kits. Just ask Frank Van Alstine, he only offers the Dyna upgrade in kit form now and has not offered any of his own designs in kit form for many years now.

If you can figure out how to pull this off I, for one, would fully support the effort. I had planned to build myself a pair of high powered monoblocks but after totaling up over $4K in parts alone I realized I could buy a pair of used amps for about half of that. At this point I am more interested in building an ultra-wideband SET design utilizing some off-the-beaten-path (but cheap and easily sourced) output tube.

Hope this helps and good luck, Blair, as I will watch with great interest the development of a new line of kits.  :thumb:

Best Regards,
JakeJ

Niteshade

• Niteshade Audio
« Reply #18 on: 5 Feb 2009, 11:22 am »
Making a 100w monoblock kit will not be a problem. I can get rackmount enclosures too. The customized faceplate sounds great!

Count me in for a set of 100 watt monoblocks (either KT-88 or 6550 based) on a form factor that would allow both amps to sit on a 19" wide rack (say 9" wide and 18" deep). Cage optional. I can get a faceplate built.

Niteshade

• Niteshade Audio
« Reply #19 on: 5 Feb 2009, 11:35 am »
Here are the answers to your questions:

1. The upper end is not harsh unless you overdrive the amplifier. At normal listening levels, the high frequencies are extended but not brittle.

2. It is possible to have a balanced input.

3. 6L6 tubes are readily available and inexpensive. They provide the best value and performance per dollar of all the readily available output tubes.

4. The kit cost will be calculated once I have gone through the steps of designing one. I don't want to give you an erroneous figure right now. I can tell you that it will be less expensive than purchasing an amplifier that's already constructed and that the price difference will be reasonable.

Hi Nightshade,

A 6L6 single ended sounds good.  Some questions:

1.  When you say it produces fantastic audio with the right circuit, is there any harshness at all in the upper frequencies?  And at the same time, are the upper frequencies extended or do they roll off early?

2.  Is it possible to have a balanced input option?

3.  Are the 6L6 tubes readily available?

4.  What would the approximate cost of the kit be?

Thanks,         
                    Steve