Tube Amplifier Kits

Niteshade

• Tubes: Audio's glow plug. Get turbocharged!
    • Niteshade Audio
Re: Tube Amplifier Kits
« Reply #20 on: 5 Feb 2009, 11:43 am »
Are you referring to a single ended 6L6 amplifier? The maximum wattage with DC biasing is 8 watts per channel. If you're thinking about push-pull 6L6 amplifiers, the maximum I have been able to obtain at the point of clipping is 50 watts per channel.

The web site will have a new page regarding the differences between my push-pull and single ended amplifiers soon.

For now, I will say that it's possible for me to obtain single ended quality via push-pull circuits. This opens up a new doorway for those who do not want to sacrifice quality but would like some added power.

Blair,
What would the output be in terms of wattage via a 6L6 machine?

Ed

Niteshade

• Niteshade Audio
« Reply #21 on: 5 Feb 2009, 11:48 am »
Nice set of requirements!  :D  They can call be met. Dual mono designs are sweet and rare on the market. That is, the TRUE dual mono designs with separate power transformers for each channel. I can even install two IEC power sockets, one for each channel.

Hi Blair,
  I don't know about others.  But, I like multiamp setups on very high efficiency drivers.  Most probably, if I used a tube amp, I would use it on the high frequency driver and/or the tweeter.  So from a tube amplifier kit I would like to see the following:

-- stunning top end extension and clarity for use on tweeters and high frequency drivers (no sibilance - very important)
  -- design using tubes that are easy to come by and not too expensive
  -- design that makes it easy to adjust the bias on each tube
  -- XLR input (balanced) option
  -- decent amount of physical space inside the case to allow for future mods or larger caps
  -- dual mono layout

I'm sure there are a few other things that would be nice.  But the above issues are the first things that came to me.  Low power (a few watts) is fine.  But, it must be crystal clear without harshness.

Steve

Niteshade

• Niteshade Audio
« Reply #22 on: 5 Feb 2009, 11:53 am »
All good ideas!

There is one possible hangup right now: I do not work with wood. We do have the ability to provide chrome enclosures and maybe even copper plated ones. For heavy amplifiers, it is best to use a 100% steel chassis and then bolt on wood effects to the sides. The fasteners can be made invisible.

my 2 cnts

Explain the electronic diagram. Why do you believe it sounds so good?
Steve is doing it for his Decware amps, you can sense the love and hrs of listening
in designing the amps

Make the price of the kits based on options
1) clear building instructions with photos
2) choice for metal or carbon resistors,  better caps , own hook up wire
as you are doing already choice in tube rectifier or not, choice in simple or better pws
3) when appropriate.  choice in FB and when the ultimate point is found  the builder can replace the pot with a fixed better sounding resistor
4) freedom for later upgrades so the structural design of the amp is upgrade friendly
5) choice for wooden or metal enclosure or mix, wood with copper foil glued to the wood
6) as you already do choice for tube families ( preferably non expensive tubes)
7) offer it completely build for a reasonable extra price

but most of all
why choosing for yr kits? Why would it sound good?

:D succes

EDS_

« Reply #23 on: 5 Feb 2009, 02:10 pm »
Thanks Blair.  I just wanted to make sure the circuit in SE isn't limited to 1 or 2 watts.  I've never assembled a SE system but the thought is intriguing.

To me 50 watts is a nice sweet spot for tube power output.  More than enough for all music at sane levels, assuming somewhat compliant speakers and x-overs, and not enough AC power usage to cause a local brown-out.   

I'd be extremely interested in kits - but might decide to have your team do any assembly.

Do any of your pre amps/integrated amps have remote volume control?

JeffBrown

« Reply #24 on: 5 Feb 2009, 03:37 pm »
Blair,
I would like to see a range of kits.  It would be cool to go to a website, like the carmakers have.  The ones where you spec out your car and they tell you what dealer has it.  So the process starts by picking your desired number of chassis, mono Chassis, or multi-channel.  Then you select your desired output, 8-watt, 20-watt, 50-watt, 100-Watt.  Then you select your amplification method: UL, SE, SE/UL switched) Then you are given the tube options based on your wattage needs.  Then you pick from the list below of how built you want the amp.

1.   I want to be able to decide how much kit I want as detailed below
a.   Pre-built
b.   Ready to build. All components included; tubes, chassis painted, can be built by a reasonably inexperienced guy in 8 hours.
c.   Mostly Ready to build. Everything included that you can’t find at radio shack. 
d.   Schematics with chassis.
e.   Schematics only

You can allow people to save their pre-built amps based on cookie info, and track what build options are the most popular.  If the DB driving this website is built correctly once the payment is received you will get a an email of a “Pick and Shipping Sheet” that will enable you to quickly package the kit for shipment.

You wanted oppinions, I assumed you wanted details too!

Jeff Brown