Granite Plinth For HT3's

Philistine

Granite Plinth For HT3's
« on: 9 Jan 2009, 02:46 am »
I promised Jim I would post this as other Salk Speaker owners might find it useful, its only taken me 18 months :oops: :

Prior to buying my HT3's I had a pair of B&W 803's - these had an elliptical cross section and seemed a bit top heavy, with kids running around the house I decided that a more sturdy base was required.  One solution was the purpose built plinths from Sound Anchors - unfortunately they were as ugly as the speakers were beautiful, so they didn't last long.  Looking for an alternative I found a UK company, HNE Systems, who made a purpose built polished granite plinth that was stunning and enhanced the beauty of the 803's.  They fixed my concerns about the stability and also tightened up the bass response - a big winner all around, but not cheap (around $450 plus shipping)!

Fast forwarding, when I bought my HT3's and changed rooms to a 'media room' with a different color scheme.  Unlike most of you guys who love veneers I went for a black automotive 'pearl':

http://www.salksound.com/gallery-votm-0307-1.shtml

I decided to replicate my granite plinths and, after discussing the options with Jim, I went to a local granite kitchen counter showroom/workshop with the original mdf plinth as a template.  I paid $80 for the pair, even though they're not as polished as the HNE plinths I can live with this for $80!  They managed to replicate the design of the mdf plinth perfectly and they are a straight swap.  As I've moved rooms the floor is now a basement with a pad and carpet, the plinths do not make any noticeable changes in the sound of the HT3's as they did with the 803's.  The room were the plinths improved the sound was a wooden suspended floor, I believe this may be the reason why.  However the granite has significantly improved the stability of the HT3's, which was my principle objective.  With a veneered finish I'm sure a beautiful granite can really enhance Jim's creations - at the same time anyone with a high density of kid traffic can relax a little more if their other pride a joy's are protected from them.  This is a low cost project, but not for my granite guy as he broke a few drills and has no desire whatsoever to repeat the pain, but I'm sure every owner can find a small granite counter top company who can do this for them.

Anyone who has any interest or questions - feel free to pm me and I'll be glad to help.

funkmonkey

Re: Granite Plinth For HT3's
« Reply #1 on: 9 Jan 2009, 02:38 pm »
 :thumb:  Very cool Phil.  Did you have them add a fourth spike?  My HT3s have only three, and it looks like Jim's pic of yours is showing only three as well.  I like the idea of lowering the center of gravity, and they look great!

Philistine

« Reply #2 on: 9 Jan 2009, 03:11 pm »
Well spotted Greg.
Jim uses 3 spikes on his plinths for stability and this was the layout on the original MDF plinth, I decided to go with 4 on the granite.

The original driver (excuse the pun) was to increase the stability with granite but, having seen a granite plinth on a veneered speaker it can really enhance the aesthetics also.  My first set of plinths was from a company supplying specifically to HiFi nuts and they could rack the price up as we are used to paying a premium (the more we pay the better it must be!).  The plinths for the HT3's was made by a company with a counter top frame of reference, for them $80 was expensive for such a small piece of granite - they even apologized for charging so much!  My point is that, using a non-traditional route of a counter top company is relatively inexpensive and they have a fantastic choice of different granites available - it really opens up the options considerably.

To help with the fixings in the granite I ordered an extra set from Jim, and had the granite people epoxy these in.

Big Red Machine

« Reply #3 on: 9 Jan 2009, 03:30 pm »
We can chose among some standard granite patterns?

Philistine

« Reply #4 on: 9 Jan 2009, 05:42 pm »
We can chose among some standard granite patterns?
[/quote

I just selected an off cut sheet and this was used for the plinths.
They had a multitude of colors available - red/blue/grey/brown/green etc, I'm pretty sure most shops would have a similar range available.

Zheeeem

« Reply #5 on: 9 Jan 2009, 05:50 pm »
I think, in general, adding large rocks to audio systems is a pretty good thing.  I got this idea several years ago while reading through some of Frank Van Alstine's Audio Basics.  My first foray was to build stands for the speakers Frank was then selling (biro F/1s) and I had my local stonecutter make some elongated cubes 22 inches tall and the same footprint as the speakers.  (Needless to say, they were really heavy!)  Next I cut two slabs to fit my sub - one underneath and one on top.  Same footprint and about 3 inches thick.  Finally I built an entire rack for my system with 12x36x1 inch slabs.

The granite plinths are a great idea.  I reckon adding 50-100 pounds to the top of the HT3s could improve things a bit by adding some resistive mass to the cabinets, but I'm not sure how it could be placed.  Such tweeeeks work best with speakers with broad flat tops.

Philistine

« Reply #6 on: 9 Jan 2009, 06:08 pm »
I think, in general, adding large rocks to audio systems is a pretty good thing.  I got this idea several years ago while reading through some of Frank Van Alstine's Audio Basics.  My first foray was to build stands for the speakers Frank was then selling (biro F/1s) and I had my local stonecutter make some elongated cubes 22 inches tall and the same footprint as the speakers.  (Needless to say, they were really heavy!)  Next I cut two slabs to fit my sub - one underneath and one on top.  Same footprint and about 3 inches thick.  Finally I built an entire rack for my system with 12x36x1 inch slabs.

The granite plinths are a great idea.  I reckon adding 50-100 pounds to the top of the HT3s could improve things a bit by adding some resistive mass to the cabinets, but I'm not sure how it could be placed.  Such tweeeeks work best with speakers with broad flat tops.

I agree with you that mass loading can help, but there are conflicting opinions on this and I'm not making any claims in this area, so I believe it's a 'try it and decide for yourself' on any sonic benefits.
For me the stability benefit alone was well worth the effort.

mcgsxr

« Reply #7 on: 9 Jan 2009, 07:44 pm »
I cannot resist posting this old pic from my system around 4 years ago.  That is a granite piece on top of the ART DIO DAC, and then it is on Herbie's feet, on top of a slate slab, on top of a partially inflated inner tube, on top of my rack.

I have since moved on to the Bolder SB3 as my source, but the Herbies are now under that!  No rocks anymore though, just to hard to balance on the SB3...

oneinthepipe

• Trainee
    • Salk Signature Sound/Audio by Van Alstine two-channel system
« Reply #8 on: 9 Jan 2009, 10:58 pm »

mfsoa

« Reply #9 on: 9 Jan 2009, 11:10 pm »
I think it JoshK that told me about this - It's bookmarked for future use/abuse:

http://www.use-enco.com/CGI/INSRIT?PMAKA=SF640-0120&PMPANO=0457722&PMKANO=188&PMKBNO=1829&PMPAGE=15&PARTPG=INLMPI

$25 for a 3x12x18" 85 pound granite slab  :o

Don't know what shipping is but this price seems really low.

-Mike

oneinthepipe

• Trainee
    • Salk Signature Sound/Audio by Van Alstine two-channel system
« Reply #10 on: 9 Jan 2009, 11:21 pm »
I think it JoshK that told me about this - It's bookmarked for future use/abuse:

http://www.use-enco.com/CGI/INSRIT?PMAKA=SF640-0120&PMPANO=0457722&PMKANO=188&PMKBNO=1829&PMPAGE=15&PARTPG=INLMPI

-Mike

But then it needs to be drilled for the screws to attach to the speaker and the sleeves for the spikes.

rlee8394

« Reply #11 on: 10 Jan 2009, 07:23 pm »
I always thought that granite surface plates would make a nice speaker base, amp base, speaker mass load, etc. This one would work for Song Towers and is quite reasonable:

http://www.woodcraft.com/product.aspx?ProductID=144838&FamilyID=4864

MSC has plenty more here:

http://www1.mscdirect.com/CGI/GSDRVSM?PACACHE=000000080614288

They go one sale now and again for greater savings.

Ron

evan1

« Reply #12 on: 10 Jan 2009, 09:43 pm »

-Mike

But then it needs to be drilled for the screws to attach to the speaker and the sleeves for the spikes.

Just use liquid nails (only kidding) but I do like the idea and I am going to look into it for my Song Towers

satfrat

• Restricted
  • Boston Red Sox!! 2004 / 2007 / 2013
« Reply #13 on: 10 Jan 2009, 10:24 pm »
Phil, are you using cones under the Salk's or are you something to couple them to the granite? Thanks.

Very very nice looking btw. :thumb:

Cheers,
Robin

Philistine

« Reply #14 on: 10 Jan 2009, 10:39 pm »
Phil, are you using cones under the Salk's or are you something to couple them to the granite? Thanks.

Cheers,
Robin

Robin - the original MDF plinths are fixed/coupled to the HT3's with lag bolts, this is replicated with the granite.  It's more difficult to see from my photos but Jim slightly recesses the base of the speakers in order to make the HT3's appear to 'float' on the plinth, you can see this better from his original shots. 
Phil

satfrat

• Restricted
  • Boston Red Sox!! 2004 / 2007 / 2013
« Reply #15 on: 10 Jan 2009, 10:47 pm »

Cheers,
Robin

Robin - the original MDF plinths are fixed/coupled to the HT3's with lag bolts, this is replicated with the granite.  It's more difficult to see from my photos but Jim slightly recesses the base of the speakers in order to make the HT3's appear to 'float' on the plinth, you can see this better from his original shots. 
Phil

Thanks for the explanation Phil, I couldn't tell how they were connected to the granite but seeing how they are plinth replacements, that makes a lot of sense. Trying to watch football and use my brain for much of anything else isn't working out very well I'm afraid. :lol:

Cheers,
Robin

Nuance

« Reply #16 on: 11 Jan 2009, 03:01 am »
Those plinths rock!  Well done!   :rock:

funkmonkey

« Reply #17 on: 11 Jan 2009, 11:58 am »

:lol: Granite plinths rock! pretty funny Nuance.  :wink:

Nuance

« Reply #18 on: 12 Jan 2009, 03:59 am »

:lol: Granite plinths rock! pretty funny Nuance.  :wink:
Glad someone got my humor.  :D

fluke242

« Reply #19 on: 12 Jan 2009, 04:39 pm »

-Mike

Seems like a good deal, until shipping.... Just added two of these to my shopping cart....  To ship to Oregon from Nevada is $100

BTW, love the look Philistine!  :thumb: