Granite Plinth For HT3's

tcsubwoofer

Re: Granite Plinth For HT3's
« Reply #20 on: 15 Jan 2009, 08:39 pm »
Phil, are you using cones under the Salk's or are you something to couple them to the granite? Thanks.

Very very nice looking btw. :thumb:

Cheers,
Robin

Robin - the original MDF plinths are fixed/coupled to the HT3's with lag bolts, this is replicated with the granite.  It's more difficult to see from my photos but Jim slightly recesses the base of the speakers in order to make the HT3's appear to 'float' on the plinth, you can see this better from his original shots. 
Phil

Very interested in these bases and thanks for posting.  Hope you can ask several additional questions.  How did you "float" the speaker on the plinth - did you use another piece of granite or black painted MDF?  If so, how thick is the lift or floater?  Some of the other posts in this thread are showing blocks of granite pre-cut.  If I understand correctly you actually had yours cut from scrap with a nice angled edge?

Hey, thanks for posting!

Philistine

« Reply #21 on: 15 Jan 2009, 09:10 pm »
Phil, are you using cones under the Salk's or are you something to couple them to the granite? Thanks.

Very very nice looking btw. :thumb:

Cheers,
Robin

Robin - the original MDF plinths are fixed/coupled to the HT3's with lag bolts, this is replicated with the granite.  It's more difficult to see from my photos but Jim slightly recesses the base of the speakers in order to make the HT3's appear to 'float' on the plinth, you can see this better from his original shots. 
Phil

Very interested in these bases and thanks for posting.  Hope you can ask several additional questions.  How did you "float" the speaker on the plinth - did you use another piece of granite or black painted MDF?  If so, how thick is the lift or floater?  Some of the other posts in this thread are showing blocks of granite pre-cut.  If I understand correctly you actually had yours cut from scrap with a nice angled edge?

Hey, thanks for posting!

The 'floating' you see is inherent in the design of the HT3 it's not something I did  - the way in which Jim constructs the bottom of the cabinets slightly recesses the base to stand slightly proud of the plinth, which generates a gap around the outside edge.  This creates an illusion that the speaker is 'floating' on the base.

In my case I took the original plinth as a template to a granite shop, they copied the exact dimensions, created the edge and drilled all the holes for the spikes and the lag bolts that fix the speaker to the plinth.  You can buy a pre-cut block, but then you have to figure out how to mount the speaker to it?  As the HT3 is designed to have the plinth bolted to it then it's just as easy to have the granite prepared with the same matching holes as the base of the speaker.  As far as the spikes are concernes I had the shop epoxy in the thread fixings for them.

Trust this helps?

tcsubwoofer

« Reply #22 on: 15 Jan 2009, 11:18 pm »

[/quote]

The 'floating' you see is inherent in the design of the HT3 it's not something I did  - the way in which Jim constructs the bottom of the cabinets slightly recesses the base to stand slightly proud of the plinth, which generates a gap around the outside edge.  This creates an illusion that the speaker is 'floating' on the base.

In my case I took the original plinth as a template to a granite shop, they copied the exact dimensions, created the edge and drilled all the holes for the spikes and the lag bolts that fix the speaker to the plinth.  You can buy a pre-cut block, but then you have to figure out how to mount the speaker to it?  As the HT3 is designed to have the plinth bolted to it then it's just as easy to have the granite prepared with the same matching holes as the base of the speaker.  As far as the spikes are concernes I had the shop epoxy in the thread fixings for them.

Trust this helps?

[/quote]

Yes, very helpful. :thumb:  Thank you and I will be checking with local granite shops in my area.

fluke242

« Reply #23 on: 10 Sep 2009, 03:45 pm »
 :D I just wanted to revive this topic.

I am planning on making granite plinths for my speakers (ht2) along with polished granite slabs for components, etc.  I have been collecting free scraps, some as large as 2' x 3' x 1.5", in the hopes to one day know what to do with them.  Well hopefully next week I start shadowing a local granite pro to learn the trade.

I hope to have them done before the NW Audio Gathering but will keep you posted and hope to have pictures soon.

John

Nuance

« Reply #24 on: 10 Sep 2009, 05:16 pm »
^Awesome!  That's going to look quite amazing.  I can't wait to see pics of the finished product!

Have fun, John.