Wanted: nearby AKSA owner

James Romeyn

• Industry Participant
  • James Romeyn Music and Audio, LLC
« on: 29 Nov 2003, 05:01 am »
I propose an AB test in Petaluma CA 35mins north of San Francisco.  Would absolutely love an AKSA amp owner to bring one to AB against the $5500pr (USA) Ampzilla 2000 monoblocs, 200/400WRMS+.  Room is treated, Philips SACD1000, McCormack MAP-1 preamp, Stan Warren non-cryo'd cables, VMPS RM40 TRT.  I'll supply food/drinks.  This reference will place the AKSA against one of the best SS amps currently available.  The 100W AKSA is likely a better match; the A2K power is underrated.

AKSA

« Reply #1 on: 29 Nov 2003, 05:36 am »
Hi Jim,

I've just read your post - after punting off an email to you - and I certainly would strongly support such a test.

Are there any AKSAphiles interested with a 100W Nirvana to take this trip?

If the AKSA can be even in the same street as the Ampzilla it would be rather nice;  but the gear Jim offers is top drawer, and the outcome has me bursting with curiosity!

Cheers,

Hugh

James Romeyn

• Industry Participant
« Reply #2 on: 29 Nov 2003, 06:59 am »
Besides being a gentleman, Hugh is one bold & audacious electronics designer to favor this comparison!  I thought this was an incredibly unfair test, but Hugh has really piqued my interest.  Any takers out there?

Martin

« Reply #3 on: 29 Nov 2003, 07:42 am »
Sorry Jim
 I'm in Oklahoma...not exactly up the road. I did live in
Sacramento about 8 years in the 80's. Had a job that took me up
and down the coast. For anyone thinking about going to see Jim...
this is some of the prettiest country this nation has to offer!
I have a 100w nirvana (and diggin' it)... would like to hear the
out come of your test.
 Hugh...ever been to the USofA?
Good luck Jim

Martin

AKSA

« Reply #4 on: 29 Nov 2003, 08:00 am »
Martin,

I have never - sadly - been to the US of A, although I consider myself well versed as I have followed American politics, culture and music for about forty years.  I have worked with Americans in the military, and find them, by and large, more friendly than my own people, who combine an insularity with fetching larrikin behaviour but considerable urban reserve.

Another of my obsessive interests is US auto, airplane and Europen ship engine technology.  I am crazy about engines, and can talk for hours about major design innovations on most internal combustion engines since the 1890s!

I have travelled throughout Asia and was trained at one point as a military interpreter of Indonesian language, but have since lost most of it.  I don't particularly want to travel these days, although I would like to see Alaska, the NW Pacific, and the gardens of Kyoto (my Father served in the military in Japan after the war and Japan fascinates me.)  Vienna is on that list, too.

Jim, I'm quite interested in a shootout with the Ampzilla, and feel that without AB testing we'll never know.....  If by chance the AKSA comes up to this august standard, all the better.  Somehow I feel it will be comparable, because I know the pressure points now of SS amplifier design and the history of the technology gives me some confidence.

Now, George, Stan, and the Big Guy, you there watching this?  Any chance one of you might be interested?

Cheers,

Hugh

mb

« Reply #5 on: 29 Nov 2003, 09:54 am »
OK! You guys have got my attention... I'm going to try to A/B my AKSA 55N with the Ampzillas locally ;). I fully expect the AKSA to do very well, within constraints of ultimate power.

Rocket

aksa comparison
« Reply #6 on: 29 Nov 2003, 11:17 am »
hi ribbonspeakers,

i'm a little curious to find out why you want to compare the aksa and ampzilla amps?

don't take me the wrong way i'm just interested to find out why.

i think it would be an interesting comparison, personally.

regards

rocket

jkarhan1

« Reply #7 on: 1 Dec 2003, 06:34 am »
Did any of this ever happen?
Further. Are there any AKSA's in the Seattle area? I think we could get an AB at Definitive audio (local AV shop).
Joe

EchiDna

« Reply #8 on: 1 Dec 2003, 11:33 am »
Quote from: jkarhan1
Did any of this ever happen?
Further. Are there any AKSA's in the Seattle area? I think we could get an AB at Definitive audio (local AV shop).
Joe

geez man, it was only first mentioned two days ago!  :)

mb, give me a call when you set up this shootout, I'd like to hear it too ;-)

James Romeyn

• Industry Participant
Re: aksa comparison
« Reply #9 on: 2 Dec 2003, 11:05 pm »
Quote from: Rocket
hi ribbonspeakers,

i'm a little curious to find out why you want to compare the aksa and ampzilla amps?

don't take me the wrong way i'm just interested to find out why.

i think it would be an interesting comparison, personally.

regards

rocket

Rocket
I was surfing looking at amps for a second system.  Read the AKSA raves at this here forum & it really got me thinking that maybe these things are worth the time to compare.  I'd be tickled pink to find something this affordable sounding that good, as I presume would all other members.

Rocket

aksa versus ampzillas
« Reply #10 on: 3 Dec 2003, 09:46 am »
Hi Jim,

It's refreshing to find a dealer who would be interested in comparing different products  :) .

Have you had any offers for the comparison?

I really like the tweakability of the amp.  I recently upgraded my stock aksa 100 to nirvana status (better caps/resistors) and was very impressed by the improvement of the mod.

Regards

rocket

ps i'd lend my aksa for the comparison bu i live in oz on the indian ocean side.

JohnR

Re: aksa comparison
« Reply #11 on: 3 Dec 2003, 09:56 am »
Quote from: RibbonSpeakers.net
I was surfing looking at amps for a second system.  Read the AKSA raves at this here forum & it really got me thinking that maybe these things are worth the time to compare.  I'd be tickled pink to find something this affordable sounding that good, as I presume would all other members.

G'day Jim! I think many members are already tickled pink :green: Erm...  :scratch:  you do know that you have to build it yourself?  :idea:

AKSA

« Reply #12 on: 3 Dec 2003, 10:39 am »
Hi Jim,

I've emailed George Cherhit, from Sacto, and it's possible he'll reply in the affirmative....

We can but wait.......

Cheers,

Hugh

GEC

100w AKSA available
« Reply #13 on: 4 Dec 2003, 05:48 am »
Hi Jim,

I can provide my 100w AKSA, which is stock unit with no tweaking.

I believe you can access my e-mail in my profile.  E-mail me and we can work out the details.

Regards,
George Cherhit

AKSA

« Reply #14 on: 4 Dec 2003, 09:50 am »
George,

My sincere thanks to you for this!  I don't believe the AKSA will best the Ampzilla, but I think it will be in the same street, and this, I believe, will show that the AKSA kitset CAN compete.  

And when it does, who present will know what the Nirvana can do?

Perhaps Round #2?   :jester:

I only wish I could be there.........   :bawl:

Cheers,

Hugh

fred

« Reply #15 on: 5 Dec 2003, 03:08 am »
We await the results with baited breath :P

GEC

Have AKSA, will travel!
« Reply #16 on: 5 Dec 2003, 07:26 am »
Just to keep the group informed, Jim and I have made contact and we will try to pick a date suitable for both of us for sometime this month.  I'll let the group know when we decide on a date.

George   ':xmas:'

Al Garay

« Reply #17 on: 9 Dec 2003, 08:16 pm »
GEC,

Why not order the Nirvana upgrade? It's so cheap and so well worth it. It's really not a fair comparison against the Ampzilla unless you get the Nirvana.

John,

I'm up here in Seattle. I have 100W Nirvana mono-blocks built by TonyD in Vancouver. He did an awesome job on the electronics, a poor job on the case, which is not a big deal to me. If you pay for shipping, I will send them down to you.

Al Garay
alpgaray@yahoo.com

Rocket

aksa 100 versus ampzilla
« Reply #18 on: 10 Dec 2003, 11:00 am »
Hi,

The Nirvana upgrade does add about 15 - 20% to the sonics of the amp.

more bass definition and the top end is more refined.

regards

rod

ps at something like $150oz the nirvana upgrade was the best deal in hifi i've had.

audiojerry

« Reply #19 on: 12 Dec 2003, 07:27 pm »
Hugh, you are quite a bloak - I mean dude!
If you ever get to Wisconsin, you can be my guest.
Hugh, have you heard the Ampzilla, or do you just know it by reputation?
Are you being modest by stating that you expect the Ampzilla to be superior? If so, is it because the AKSA has reached its limits sonically due to design architecture, or due to cost constraints?  

PS: Once things get rolling with this, please post something in the 2 channel forum so it will be made aware to a greater audience.