Wanted: nearby AKSA owner

AKSA

« Reply #20 on: 13 Dec 2003, 04:34 am »
Hi Audiojerry,

Thanks for the vote of confidence!

No, I have not heard an Ampzilla.  But I'm familiar with James Bongiorno's past designs, as he is an important icon in the amp design world, and recently, after a long absence largely due to serious liver illness, he said that '...nothing had changed in the analog amplifier design world'.  I believe he is probably right.

I deduced from this that his new amp is a super tweak of past designs, perhaps with some of the upgraded components of the last decade such as Vishay Bulk Foil resistors, RelCaps, and a few other notables.  I've seen the pictures of his amp - beautifully designed, assembled and made - but I ran my gimlet eye over the scenery and came to the conclusion his component quality wasn't much more than the AKSA.  Knowing his past designs, indeed having built and listened to a few of the early ones, and knowing his component choices, I took a punt that the AKSA 100W would at least be in the same street.

Mind you, I won't say anything definitive.  That's not up to me, I'm a sly old dog.  I know well, having worked as a consultant in IT, that categoric statements invite challenges, and challenges always leave you with egg on your face.  So, no categoric statements, no gloating or pronouncements of death at 30 paces, we just wait and let two guys whose egos are not directly involved negotiate the tests.  I don't know Jim, and I note he sells Ampzilla, but I suspect if the AKSA were better he'd at least rank it equally.  I do know George quite well, albeit from a long association on the net, and George will give me a very cool, objective and balanced view.  This is, after all, exactly what we need..... :mrgreen:  

Cheers,

Hugh

audiojerry

« Reply #21 on: 23 Dec 2003, 09:51 pm »
anything new with the much anticipated shootout?  :hyper:

mb

« Reply #22 on: 25 Dec 2003, 01:21 am »
Audiojerry, in case you haven't see this, http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=6512

Merry Christmas!

Woodsea

Now AKSA vs Van Alstine
« Reply #23 on: 26 Dec 2003, 04:54 am »
I want/need the definitive answer!
Anyone able to do a shoot-out against the FetValve and the 100Nirvana?
Signed,
Greedy and Cheap
(with a wife who is more grounded than I)
P.S. We are willing to pay :!:  :!:  (once)

Rocket

aksa amps
« Reply #24 on: 26 Dec 2003, 08:27 am »
hi woodsea,

i have an aksa 100 (nirvana upgrade) and it is a pretty good amp.  looking at the van alstine amps i am sure they would be pretty good sounding as well.

the aksa amps are dual mono with 2 separate power supplies, the van alstines have 1.  the other thing to consider about the aksa amps is that they are seiously tweakable.  i had the stock version of the 100 and was very happy with it, i bought the nirvana upgrade kit for about $150au and it was about 20% better.  

hugh, is now looking at a nirvana plus upgrade for people like myself who are audionuts.

an aksa amp would probably cost a fair bit less than the van alstine amp and would sound very good in comparison.  i had an n.e.w. dc-66 amp which retailed in the us for $3000us and i replaced it with the aksa.

do you have the opportunity to listen to an aksa in your area?

best wishes and i hope this helps.

rocket

EchiDna

Re: Now AKSA vs Van Alstine
« Reply #25 on: 28 Dec 2003, 12:50 am »
Quote from: Woodsea
I want/need the definitive answer!
Anyone able to do a shoot-out against the FetValve and the 100Nirvana?
Signed,
Greedy and Cheap
(with a wife who is more grounded than I)
P.S. We are willing to pay :!:  :!:  (once)

Sorry Woodsea, but who could or can be definitive in a hobby such as this? It's always about personal preferences.

My AKSA 100 is about to undergo the Nirvana transformation, so I might be able to do such a comparison here in Singapore. Nearly every high end brand is represented here, there is tons of stores... BUT finding a dealer who is prepared to let you bring your own DIY amp into their store to show up their products is very rare, there is not much commission to be made in that is there?  :wink:

tmd

« Reply #26 on: 22 Feb 2004, 10:06 pm »
Did the shootout ever happen in the US? Did I miss something? I saw the thread with the Singapore one and it was great to read it.

AKSA

« Reply #27 on: 22 Feb 2004, 10:59 pm »
Sadly,

There was no shootout.  Circumstances change, people moved on.  Doggone........

Cheers,

Hugh

tmd

« Reply #28 on: 23 Feb 2004, 08:29 am »
Hugh,
That's a real shame. I hope that someone out there does a shootout with the Ampzillas one of these days.
Is there anyone who hangs out near Brian Cheneys operation? Perhaps someone with a 100W Nirvana is prepared to visit him and do an A/B there.
One of these days, I will buy the bits and build one myself. I will then go on a back to back comparison frenzy:) It seems there is a fairly small group of products here in Ireland as there is only really one high end dealer and buying without hearing is a bigger risk here by the time you pay shipping, taxes and import duty.

AKSA

« Reply #29 on: 23 Feb 2004, 09:41 am »
Ah, but TMD, look at the exchange rate!!  You are literally quids ahead!

Begorrah......   :lol:

Cheers,

Hugh

tmd

« Reply #30 on: 23 Feb 2004, 09:44 am »
I just tried it and the ten euro I have doesn't translate into enough Australian dollars for the purchase :lol:

Streuth!