ANNOUNCING New Bryston SST²(squared) Amplifiers

Fernar

Re: ANNOUNCING New Bryston SST²(squared) Amplifiers
« Reply #100 on: 13 Jan 2009, 02:35 pm »
James,

New to the forum and new to Bryston hopfully very soon...

I ordered a 4BSST 1 week before x-mas ('08) and still waiting for the amp to be delivered - I am making the assumption that when it arrives it will be of the 4B SST2 version...

I have two quick questions on the assumptions that it will be a 4BSST2...

1) How different will be the front panel switch? Will it be a membrane type or will it be a more traditional 'push on/off' type?

2) If I was to bi-amp in the future using a second 4BSST (non squared) - each amp driving driving the LF and HF sections of the speaker - will there be sufficient difference in the sound between a 4BSST and 4BSST2 as to make this configuration unworkable? (I suppose there is the option to have one of the amps drive both HF sections of the speaker and the other amp drive the LF sections - which will at the least balance any sound difference that may exist)

James Tanner

• Facilitator
  • The Demo is Everything!
    • http://www.bryston.com
« Reply #101 on: 13 Jan 2009, 02:58 pm »
James,

New to the forum and new to Bryston hopfully very soon...

I ordered a 4BSST 1 week before x-mas ('08) and still waiting for the amp to be delivered - I am making the assumption that when it arrives it will be of the 4B SST2 version...

I have two quick questions on the assumptions that it will be a 4BSST2...

1) How different will be the front panel switch? Will it be a membrane type or will it be a more traditional 'push on/off' type?

2) If I was to bi-amp in the future using a second 4BSST (non squared) - each amp driving driving the LF and HF sections of the speaker - will there be sufficient difference in the sound between a 4BSST and 4BSST2 as to make this configuration unworkable? (I suppose there is the option to have one of the amps drive both HF sections of the speaker and the other amp drive the LF sections - which will at the least balance any sound difference that may exist)

Hi There,

Welcome sir.

What dealer did you order from and I will check for you.

1.Yes all the new switches are the push-pull type.

2.The SST2 (squared) should go on the mids and top. Your OK with the SST on the Bass.

James

Fernar

« Reply #102 on: 13 Jan 2009, 03:04 pm »
James, I ourchased the 4BSST from Shadow Audio in the UK

Fernar

« Reply #103 on: 16 Jan 2009, 12:31 pm »
James  - just to let you know that my dealer (Shadow Audio) phoned to let me know that my amp will be delivered early next week and will be the new model...

I cant wait for the unit to arrive.....!

Typically how long does the amp need to 'burn in' before giving it's best?

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #104 on: 16 Jan 2009, 12:34 pm »
James  - just to let you know that my dealer (Shadow Audio) phoned to let me know that my amp will be delivered early next week and will be the new model...

I cant wait for the unit to arrive.....!

Typically how long does the amp need to 'burn in' before giving it's best?

Hi Ferner,

We 'burn' them in for 4 days at Bryston before we ship. That being said (no engineers will agree with me) I would give it 3 days or so after you install it.

james

NewBuyer

« Reply #105 on: 30 Jan 2009, 12:21 am »

Hi,

No the Power Pacs are not being affected by the Squared updates.

james

Hi James,

Just curious please, why are the Power Pacs being excluded from these nice upgrades?  :?:

Not excluded just not done yet.  On the PowerPacs it will only be the Balanced input stage that is affected by the changes.

james

Hi James, can you please say approximately when the PowerPacs will receive the Squared updates?  I will be using the balanced inputs, and will buy a pair of either 120's or 300's after they are updated to SST². 

Also, is it true that the PowerPacs absolutely must be placed upright for proper cooling?  I had wanted to put them out-of-sight, flat on the rug behind an entertainment center, with just the heatsink portions actually tucked underneath the entertainment center (which would still leave at least two or three inches of open air above the heatsinks for cooling) - but would appreciate your advice please on this too...  :?:

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #106 on: 30 Jan 2009, 12:40 am »
HI newbuyer,

The PPacks probable will not change any time soon.
Yes thay can be placed on their sides but they dissapate the heat a lot better if upright. This is only critical if they are being driven into low impedance loads for long periods of time.

james

NewBuyer

« Reply #107 on: 30 Jan 2009, 01:51 am »
HI newbuyer,

Yes thay can be placed on their sides but they dissapate the heat a lot better if upright. This is only critical if they are being driven into low impedance loads for long periods of time.

james

Thanks James! Since my speakers are definitely not low impedance (6-ohms minimum), I hopefully should be fine then.  Now just need to decide whether the 120's, or the 300's, would be the appropriate choice for me, since cost is an object.  :)   What would you recommend? 

Also please, while not anytime soon as you advised, can you give just a general estimate of when the PP's will get the Squared upgrades?  (I might just wait for it)   :wink:

StuartH

« Reply #108 on: 2 Feb 2009, 05:40 pm »
Hi,

Another query for James I'm afraid...

Another new Bryston owner here who ordered a 4B-SST no 17/12/08 from Cornflake here in the UK and I've been told that it will be an un-squared version :-(  I was wondering if it was likely to be a unit built to the new design but unmarked?

Any good news would be welcome!

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #109 on: 2 Feb 2009, 05:58 pm »
Hi,

Another query for James I'm afraid...

Another new Bryston owner here who ordered a 4B-SST no 17/12/08 from Cornflake here in the UK and I've been told that it will be an un-squared version :-(  I was wondering if it was likely to be a unit built to the new design but unmarked?

Any good news would be welcome

Hi Stuart,

Serial numbers starting at  '4B-SSTC-004288' are Squared.

james

NewBuyer

« Reply #110 on: 3 Feb 2009, 07:10 am »
HI newbuyer,

james

Thanks James! Since my speakers are definitely not low impedance (6-ohms minimum), I hopefully should be fine then.  Now just need to decide whether the 120's, or the 300's, would be the appropriate choice for me, since cost is an object.  :)   What would you recommend? 

Also please, while not anytime soon as you advised, can you give just a general estimate of when the PP's will get the Squared upgrades?  (I might just wait for it)   :wink:

Hi James,

Still wondering please, about my last questions above? :?:

If it will be a year or more for the PowerPacs to make it to SST², I'll probably just order the SST versions now!  Interested to get your PowerPac recommendation too, about 120's vs 300's for 6-ohm minimum speaker loads (if it would matter)...

Stu Pitt

« Reply #111 on: 5 Feb 2009, 12:14 pm »
These are probably stupid questions, but I'll ask anyway...

All power amps are SST-2?  I haven't seen any discussion about the 2B nor multi channel amps.

Am I correct in assuming the 2B-LP won't be an SST-2 (It never became an SST, right?)?

I saw you post something about a new external MM phono stage.  Any more info you can share?  Mainly will it need the external power supply, or will it have an internal one?

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #112 on: 5 Feb 2009, 12:35 pm »
These are probably stupid questions, but I'll ask anyway...

All power amps are SST-2?  I haven't seen any discussion about the 2B nor multi channel amps.

Am I correct in assuming the 2B-LP won't be an SST-2 (It never became an SST, right?)?

I saw you post something about a new external MM phono stage.  Any more info you can share?  Mainly will it need the external power supply, or will it have an internal one?

Hi Stu,

There are changes occurring in all the amplifiers - including the 2B SST. Most of the changes are the fully balanced (series) designs like the 7B and 14B. As you move down the line through the 4B,6B's,9B's, 3B's and 2B's there are less changes. Maybe I should post a list of each model and the changes made?

Yes we have re-introduced a less expensive phono stage (BP1/MPS1) which uses the older power supply from the BP25 series amplifiers. Phono is starting to make a real comeback and we wanted to offer a less expensive version than the BP1.5/MPS-2 combination. So the BP1 is 'MM' only but 'does include' the 'external' MPS1 power supply for $1,495 list as opposed to the BP1.5 (MM and MC)/MPS-2 which is $3800 list.

james

audio 1

« Reply #113 on: 5 Feb 2009, 03:20 pm »
James,

I think it would be great if you would post a list with the changes to each amplifier model.

95Dyna

« Reply #114 on: 5 Feb 2009, 06:18 pm »
Hi James,

Is the MPS1 available as a standalone?  If so, how does it differ from the MPS2, can it be used to power the BP26 and what is its standalone price?

Thanks.

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #115 on: 5 Feb 2009, 06:29 pm »
Hi James,

Is the MPS1 available as a standalone?  If so, how does it differ from the MPS2, can it be used to power the BP26 and what is its standalone price?

Thanks.

Hi,

No the MPS-1 can not be used on the BP26 as the connection on the BP26 is different (7 pin din for separte feed for low votage logic circuits and separate feed for internal DAC).

james

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #116 on: 5 Feb 2009, 07:31 pm »
SST2 (SQUARED) MODEL CHANGES JAN 2009

The SST squared has a number of changes but most of the changes involve the 'Fully Balanced' amps like the 7B's and the 14B's. The 14B's and the 7B's are essentially new amplifiers!

The main design concept change in the Squared Series is:
A significant part of the design criteria for the SST2 was to develop amplifiers that would maintain an ideal power curve through the 'first and last watt'. Most amplifiers exhibit a power curve whereby the best noise floor, drive capability and distortion are maintained from about 1/3 power and up. The new Bryston SST2 (squared) series maintain their ideal power curve right from the first watt to the last watt.

Think of it like a torque curve in a car. The sweet spot or the torque curve has been expanded.

SST2 (SQUARED) MODEL CHANGES JAN 2009

2B SST-2
NEW POWER SWITCH
INPUT RF FILTER
HIGHER INPUT IMPEDANCE
FULLY BALANCED IN BRIDGED MODE
LOWER THD AND NOISE

3B SST-2
NEW POWER SWITCH AND MICRO SOFT START
INPUT RF FILTER
HIGHER INPUT IMPEDANCE
LOWER THD AND NOISE

4B SST-2
INPUT RF FILTER
HIGHER INPUT IMPEDANCE
LOWER THD AND NOISE

6B SST-2
INPUT RF FILTER
HIGHER INPUT IMPEDANCE
LOWER THD AND NOISE

7B SST-2
INPUT RF FILTER
HIGHER INPUT IMPEDANCE
FULLY BALANCED - IN TO OUT
NEW OUTPUT CHOKES
NEW TRANSFORMER DESIGN
LOWER THD AND NOISE

9B SST-2
INPUT RF FILTER
HIGHER INPUT IMPEDANCE
LOWER THD AND NOISE

14B SST-2
INPUT RF FILTER
HIGHER INPUT IMPEDANCE
FULLY BALANCED - IN TO OUT
NEW POWER SUPPLY PCB
NEW CHASSIS
NEW TRANSFORMER DESIGN
REDUCED WIRING
NEW OUTPUT CHOKES
LOWER THD AND NOISE

95Dyna

« Reply #117 on: 5 Feb 2009, 10:14 pm »
James,

I noticed three items new on the 14B that were not listed for the 7B: reduced wiring, new chassis design and new power supply PCB.  Is there any significance to these items in terms of performance that would favor the 14B over the 7B relative to the "ideal power curve" design objectives.

Thanks,

Bill

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #118 on: 5 Feb 2009, 10:22 pm »
James,

I noticed three items new on the 14B that were not listed for the 7B: reduced wiring, new chassis design and new power supply PCB.  Is there any significance to these items in terms of performance that would favor the 14B over the 7B relative to the "ideal power curve" design objectives.

Thanks,

Bill

Hi Bill,

No -the 7B being a mono amp had less wiring and did not need the PCB change given that its a mono amp. The 7B has 2 advanatges over the 14B. 1. Mono --so you can place it close to the speaker and use very short speaker cables and 2. It has double the storage capacitance of the 14B.

james

NewBuyer

« Reply #119 on: 5 Feb 2009, 10:47 pm »
What please is the Soft-Start circuit ("Micro Soft Start")?  :?: