CD duplicators

chosenhandle

CD duplicators
« on: 28 Nov 2008, 03:02 pm »
Jeff;

Quite a while ago you posted in a forum that some new CD duplicators are great (and inexpensive). Do you know if any produce bit for bit copies and create true duplicates?

Any brands you can point me towards? My Denon 550C dual tray duplicator crapped out after only 3 years of light use....go figure.

thanks

RJ

Re: CD duplicators
« Reply #1 on: 28 Nov 2008, 03:28 pm »

Bill Baker

• Industry Participant
  • Purity Audio Design -Custom Design and Manufacturi
    • Musica Bella Audio
« Reply #2 on: 28 Nov 2008, 04:58 pm »
For the money and quality, you can't beat the Marantz professional CD recorders. I have been running mine for a few year snow and recently picked another up for one of my customers (no, I am not a dealer for them).

Unfortunately they no longer have a dual tray version available but the current single tray CDR632 is a great unit. You can pick one up for about $600 +/- from various online sellers.

TONEPUB

« Reply #3 on: 28 Nov 2008, 05:04 pm »
From what I can hear, they sound fine.  I've never gotten all the way in to the various
forms of comparison involving the computer, I just don't have time.

I use a tascam, suggested to me by mastering engineer Kevin Grey.  I figured
if it was good enough for him, it would be good enough for me!

So far, I've had no complaints...

Bill Baker

• Industry Participant
  • Purity Audio Design -Custom Design and Manufacturi
    • Musica Bella Audio
« Reply #4 on: 28 Nov 2008, 05:24 pm »
Greetings Jeff,
 I will have to second the Tascam as well. They are around the same price as the Marantz and the quality is exceptional. I have gone back and forth with original recording and copies made on either of these two units and you would be hard pressed to tell the difference. I have put a lot of my record collection on CD as well.
 You are recoding in real time with these signle tray units and as long as you are using a decent digital cable (or analog cables if making copies of vinyl) you are all set.

Russell Dawkins

« Reply #5 on: 28 Nov 2008, 08:18 pm »
depending on what use you intend to put the duplicator to, this will do all the usual and much, much more for about $800
http://www.zzounds.com/item--ALEML9600
google "alesis masterlink"

P.S. for a simple duplicator, Tascam (the pro side of Teac), in my experience is the most reliable of the brands mentioned so far, although my duplicator (7 bays) is made by Telex, no longer in this business.
Reliability is a key characteristic when it comes to pro gear.

TONEPUB

« Reply #6 on: 28 Nov 2008, 09:04 pm »
I lucked out, I bought a new in box CD-D4000 for $129.
That was the model Kevin told me to buy (only burns
at 1,2, and 4x which was just what I wanted) and the guy
at the store said "no one wants these, they only burn 4x!"

I really just use it to make copies of my wife's favorite CD's
so mine don't get scratched up in the car!

chosenhandle

« Reply #7 on: 29 Nov 2008, 03:15 pm »
thanks for your replies. I used my Denon to create duplicates of Cd's when I bought them, and it allowed me to put the original away. I really need something simple to copy the Cd's, as I don't want to make rocket science out it. Just drop it in and push the button...and get a duplicate.

I used to use the Denon to do vinyl to CD, but have switched to a Duet ADC/DAC to my Mac.

I will look around for the tascam.

PS I am familiar with the Masterlink and I think it is the most capable, but it also involves more work.

TONEPUB

« Reply #8 on: 29 Nov 2008, 04:37 pm »
Bingo.  I'm in the same boat there.  Just wanted to make a quick copy
so I don't damage my originals...

Wayner

« Reply #9 on: 29 Nov 2008, 07:14 pm »
Why not just burn one on the computer?

Wayner

carusoracer

« Reply #10 on: 29 Nov 2008, 07:55 pm »
Is the Tascam CD D400 abl to make copies that are considered to be reference or Audiophile quality? Comparable or better the EAC?

chosenhandle

« Reply #11 on: 29 Nov 2008, 10:39 pm »
Is the Tascam CD D400 abl to make copies that are considered to be reference or Audiophile quality? Comparable or better the EAC?

that's the question I have as well.

The specs on my Denon claimed exact copies. I verified that once and the original and copy were identical. I wish I could trust Denon and just get another. But it failed too quickly and Denon service has been unable to repair it to my satisfaction.

sanlanman

« Reply #12 on: 1 Dec 2008, 01:04 am »
FYI, Denon and Marantz are (or were) owned by the same holding company, D&M Holdings, (if they weren't sold again.)

carusoracer

« Reply #13 on: 1 Dec 2008, 03:05 pm »
Quick question does the Tascam take RCA cables I do not have any digital cables at this time. :scratch:

I'm looking to replace my Sony dual tray CD Duplicator

TONEPUB

« Reply #14 on: 1 Dec 2008, 04:44 pm »
Why not just burn one on the computer?

Wayner

Because I'm always using my computer....

Also, don't need to keep any software current, etc.

It's really simple.  Put original in drawer A, blank in drawer B
push the button and continue to work.

And it doesn't need any cables.  I don't use it as a player
of any kind, just a standalone device.

chosenhandle

« Reply #15 on: 12 Dec 2008, 03:24 pm »
In my search, I ran into the new Teac/Tascam duplicator. It can be had for about $200. It has a small footprint and seems to fit the bill.

I sent an email to their tech support with some technical questions. If I learn anything good, I will report them back.

Russell Dawkins

« Reply #16 on: 12 Dec 2008, 06:25 pm »
I would say a Tascam for $200 is a no-brainer. The next part of the equation is the blank media. I would recommend paying the small amount extra and go with Taiyo Yuden or other reputable brand. Comparisons aren't hard to find on the internet.

mfsoa

« Reply #17 on: 12 Dec 2008, 08:21 pm »
I've found the Mitsui Audio Gold CDrs (MAM-A Gold) to sound better than the Taiyo Yudin, but at more than $1 each they'd better. Never tried the Memorex Blacks.

Both were found to sound better, by several listeners who did not know what they were comparing, to the original CD (ripped and burned by EAC, on a Dell desktop w/ its stock internal CD/DVD drive).

The Mitsuis also hold up much better to abuse than other CDrs I've used.

-Mike

chosenhandle

« Reply #18 on: 12 Dec 2008, 08:25 pm »
I use MAM-A golds for my good duplications, as well as HHB Professional's, but will use TY's or similar for everyday copies (that will get lost, given away or wrecked).

My assumption is that the Tascam will properly duplicate my CD's assuming I burn at a reduced rate and use good disks. Feel free to tell me I am wrong.

Russell Dawkins

« Reply #19 on: 13 Dec 2008, 12:06 am »
an acquaintance who works in a CD manufacturing facility and who makes a hobby of investigating various CD burners and blank media for error rates and who has a CD burner that reads out BLER (block error rate) says that Taiyo Yuden produces the lowest error rate, and all the archival grade media have greater error rates, but presumably are more stable over time. In fact their projected life is around 300 years.
Moreover, those seriously into this (like him) know that the lowest burning speed is almost never the speed that produces the lowest BLER.

Lite On burners, for example, with Taiyo Yuden media produces best results at 16 or 24X burning speed, but it varies with the model and the specific disc and is a function of, amongst other things, the degree of control over the laser power. The laser power has to be adjusted according to media and burning speed, but very few burners adjust for the media; some do.

I choose Taiyo Yuden regardless of price for my masters and duplicates because to me the security is worth it, and they test lowest in BLER. For archival discs I use Verbatim Ultralife Gold which has a gold layer with a silver coating for reflectivity, producing lower BLERs than most archival discs, but still not as good as Taiyo Yuden.

If you look into this, a quick search on Google turns up more than you might want to know.