Can you recommend a single driver full range speaker <$3000?

schw06

Having owned hornshoppe horns in the past I've not found a speaker with the coherency and enjoyment I had with them. I have a 17x24 room and looking under $3000. I've considered WLM, Zu, Omega. Experienced suggestions are appreciated!

ZLS

Re: Can you recommend a single driver full range speaker <$3000?
« Reply #1 on: 25 Nov 2008, 04:39 pm »
    What was it that you liked about the Horn's; what didn't you like?
    This information would help in understanding what exactly uou are looking for in a speaker. 

schw06

« Reply #2 on: 25 Nov 2008, 04:55 pm »
I loved the speed, coherency, imaging and the " musician in the room" feel. The bass was definitely lacking in the horns and occasionally the sound seemed to beam at me.

floobydust

« Reply #3 on: 25 Nov 2008, 04:56 pm »
 Are you strictly looking to buy finished speakers or possibly entertain buying a pair of drivers and either building or having enclosures made for them?

As you were happy with the Horns, it would appear you have equipment that mates well with some single driver setups. What would the rest of the equipment chain look like? I also own a pair of Ed's horns... and some other speakers, so perhaps my findings might be helpful.

Regards, KM

zybar

• Volunteer
  • Dutch and Dutch 8C's…yes they are that good!
« Reply #4 on: 25 Nov 2008, 04:56 pm »
I have a pair of Omega Revolutions with 8" Alnico hemp drivers that are excellent and do some things that my $20k+ Vandy 5's can't do.

They have no problem filling my dedicated listening room (which is a little larger than yours).  If you want bass below 40-45Hz, you will need to augment with subs or have the speakers very close to the wall.  I prefer to have a deep soundstage, so mine are a good 7-8' out into the room and augmented by a pair of Deep Hemp subs.

If Louis would make you a pair, I believe they would be in your budget.

Alternatively, you can try one of his newest offerings that were just announced:

http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=61654.0

George

sts9fan

« Reply #5 on: 25 Nov 2008, 04:57 pm »
***Shameless plug***

Zu Druids are Awsome!!!

schw06

« Reply #6 on: 25 Nov 2008, 05:03 pm »
I am looking for a finished speaker...not looking for DIY solutions. I'll build the rest of the system around the speakers. I own a Modwright fully modded transporter and class D monoblocks but will add an integrated or pre/amp combination depending on speaker choice.
Dave

Brown

« Reply #7 on: 25 Nov 2008, 05:06 pm »
If ypu can find them Cain & Cain Wall of Sounds. Just mind blowing.

woodsyi

• Volunteer
  • Always Look on the Bright Side of Life!
« Reply #8 on: 25 Nov 2008, 05:33 pm »
This is kind of a single driver (needing power amp) speaker. 
http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=62027.0
I heard the latest Sander's (13K) at RMAF and I was really impressed.  I liked a lot of the horns at the show but this panel design was really good too.  The TL sub really is fast enough to keep up with the 'stats.  Price is darn good as long as the panels are in good condition. 

miklorsmith

« Reply #9 on: 25 Nov 2008, 05:41 pm »
Of the three you mentioned, only Omega is truly "single driver" and none of the options from any of them are "full range" at less than $3k.

So, you're going to compromise from the stated goals.  Maybe you could outline some of what you mean by full-range, like whether close-ish good enough and how loud you like to listen.  If you like metal the choices will really be different than for chamber music.  Also, do you have an amp in mind?  The choices you list are all reasonably efficient but they're not the same.

pardales

« Reply #10 on: 25 Nov 2008, 05:46 pm »
I love my Lowther's. (Lowther 2.8 ambience from www.commonsenseaudio.com).

Wind Chaser

« Reply #11 on: 25 Nov 2008, 08:57 pm »
If the only / primary weakness of the Horns that bugs you is the lack of bass, get a Pass F-1 or add the Cube.  Before you part with your Horn's, make sure you first listen to whatever you intend to replace them with in your home.  You may find that by fixing one problem you've created another problem. 

Remember, no system / component is perfect.  Audio is full of compromises.

playntheblues

• D-Sonic, Mola Mola TamBagui, Tekton DISE
« Reply #12 on: 25 Nov 2008, 10:02 pm »
I would second the 2.8  from www.commonsenseaudio.com but would highly recommend the straight bass reflex 2.8 and use their PAudio BM12CX38 coaxial speaker. 32 lbs, cast frame, 600 watts RMS (woofer), 4 inch voicecoil, 2 inch compression driver, 103 db efficient.  I just finished my pair and it is one of the best speakers I have ever heard (to my ears).   

chrisby

« Reply #13 on: 25 Nov 2008, 11:09 pm »
If the only / primary weakness of the Horns that bugs you is the lack of bass, get a Pass F-1 or add the Cube.  Before you part with your Horn's, make sure you first listen to whatever you intend to replace them with in your home.  You may find that by fixing one problem you've created another problem. 

Remember, no system / component is perfect.  Audio is full of compromises.

What's the current price on Ed's cube?  Hell, a pair of those and 2 of the budget Dayton APA150 power amp, and you might well reconsider needing to spend kilobucks to "upgrade"

An open question to Horn / Cube users - are you running the Horns full range, or Hi-passed? 

Alwayswantmore

« Reply #14 on: 2 Dec 2008, 06:21 pm »
Having owned hornshoppe horns in the past I've not found a speaker with the coherency and enjoyment I had with them. I have a 17x24 room and looking under $3000. I've considered WLM, Zu, Omega. Experienced suggestions are appreciated!
Give Louis at Omega a call. I'm pretty sure he has some demo and show models that would help re. the price point. He also has the new 6" Alnico Monitor that retails for $1,450 (new model, so he's offering $200 discount to ACers through end of year). Add a DeepHemp powered sub & Skyland stands and you hit approximately $3,000.

Also with the DeepHemp, you could partner 8" Compact Hemps (about $1500/pair) or maybe a demo SuperHemp, assuming Louis has any in stock.

Best bet is to give him a call if any of this interests you. Louis is great on the phone, and prefers phone to e-mail.

P.S. You could also go for the new 6" Alnico XRS (eXtended Room Speaker) for a little over $2,000 (with the ACer end of year discount). Specs on Omega's Web site.

Kent

maxwalrath

« Reply #15 on: 2 Dec 2008, 07:44 pm »

You could consider the Horns model 3, discussed in the Hornshoppe forum.  I also loved the Horn sound, but my room doesn't allow for the corner placement I want to get the bass. 

I's love to get a pair of Horns or 3's, getting them mass loaded, in a custom finish, adding some bybees, and having some Reality Cables soldered directly to the drivers to get rid of the speaker connectors.  One day....

mcullinan

« Reply #16 on: 2 Dec 2008, 07:51 pm »
Would a concentric driver be considered a single driver? Im in love with every concentric Ive heard... Sorry to jump in... Ill jump out now.
Mike

chadh

« Reply #17 on: 2 Dec 2008, 10:23 pm »

Okay, this probably isn't helpful at all, so I apologize.  But this pair of Lamhorns is available on audiogon, and for some reason I have it in my head that they would be sublime. 

http://www.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/cls.pl?spkrfull&1231946146&/RL-Acoustique-Lamhorn-perfect

The seller, Paul Folbrecht, used to show up here at AC quite often.  But I can't remember having seen him in in a while.  Anyway, his ad has gone up on audiogon a few times, and the speakers haven't moved.  So maybe he would come down from his $5000 asking price.

Again, my apologies for wantonly ignoring your stated price range.  I just couldn't help myself.

Chad

DaveC113

• Industry Contributor
  • ZenWaveAudio.com
« Reply #18 on: 3 Dec 2008, 12:18 am »
For $3k I'd buy the Omega 6" Monitors, stands, and a Deephemp sub.

I have the 4.5" XRS and a 10" Sealed sub and will upgrade to the above one of these days. Unless you have over $20k or so to spend on a speaker/amp combo I don't think you'll do any better then Omegas and a decent mid-powered tube amp, and I'm absolutely sure you could do a lot worse for $20k too.

rodge827

« Reply #19 on: 3 Dec 2008, 12:28 am »
I'll second all the Omega replys  :thumb:
Louis makes a great product that he is very passionate about.
Contact him you'll be glad you did, I was  :D

Chris