The "HT4" information, rumors, discussion and suggestion thread

JerryM

• Where's The Bar?
 But after completing these today and spending a few hours with them, I do know one thing:  I have the speakers I want.

- Jim

That's funny; You have the speakers I want, too!  :lol:

Congrats, Jim. Beautiful work.

Jerry

oneinthepipe

• Trainee
    • Salk Signature Sound/Audio by Van Alstine two-channel system
But after completing these today and spending a few hours with them, I do know one thing:  I have the speakers I want.

- Jim

Whoa hoa.  That's what I love to hear.

AliG

darn....wish I hadn't moved out of the states yet, that surely warrants a trip to Aksa Fest. :drool: :drool:

jsalk

I like the detail of that progressively larger roundover on the front of the top section.  How does he do that?

Very nice design!!

Best,
Ed

edit: Nevermind, I'm sure it is completed through the wonders of the CNC!

No CNC on the front surface.  It was done by hand, carefully using four different roundover bits and judicious sanding.  Since this was the last shaping process to be done, it was a little stressful.  One mistake could ruin a very expensive cabinet section (or make for a very time consuming repair).

As I indicated before, nothing about these speakers was easy.  But you don't enhance your skills without pushing the envelope at times.  And in this case, the design stretched our skills to the limit.

- Jim

ebag4

Thanks for the explanation Jim.  Incredible job, beautiful piece.  Best of luck at AK fest.

Best,
Ed

I like the detail of that progressively larger roundover on the front of the top section.  How does he do that?

Very nice design!!

Best,
Ed

edit: Nevermind, I'm sure it is completed through the wonders of the CNC!

No CNC on the front surface.  It was done by hand, carefully using four different roundover bits and judicious sanding.  Since this was the last shaping process to be done, it was a little stressful.  One mistake could ruin a very expensive cabinet section (or make for a very time consuming repair).

As I indicated before, nothing about these speakers was easy.  But you don't enhance your skills without pushing the envelope at times.  And in this case, the design stretched our skills to the limit.

- Jim

Bill Baker

• Industry Participant
  • Purity Audio Design -Custom Design and Manufacturi
    • Musica Bella Audio
 You are more than welcome for the cables Jim. I just hope they do your system justice and allow it to speak the truth.

I understand your thoughts on releasing in this economy but if we let the current times hold us back, we would not be prepaired when things change. I like the idea of having at least one product that is built without a "price point". Everyone needs at least one. It allows you to show what is truly capable without a price point holding you back.

You have a loyal following and my guess is you will have orders before leaving the show. You probably won't even come home with your debut pair :lol:

JoshK

It looks like the mid section is open backed like a U-baffle.  Is that right?

mcgsxr

There have already been a number of positive comments about the speakers, and I echo that they are a lovely, unique looking beast!

I really really like the tweeter enclosure shape - like an old boat tail car from the 30's, with some Art Deco themed feel (think waterfall floorstanding radio also from the 30's, or a glorious old mahogany boat (often seen up in Muskoka not far from Toronto).

What a lovely looking speaker Jim, I recognize that it must have been a very challenging and rewarding design to bring to fruition - challenge the craft of the master!

I look forward to hearing about what folks think, when they hear them.

Good for you and Dennis to have the vision and commitment to bring forward such a statement design!

jsalk

It looks like the mid section is open backed like a U-baffle.  Is that right?

That is correct.

- Jim

Brucemck

Jim, is there a benefit from having the midrange be an open backed "tunnel" rather than mounted on a straight open baffle?

randybessinger

Jim,

Congrats!  Looks like enormous work by both you and Dennis went into these things.  Wish I could be there to hear them but hopefully in Oregon in the fall.

zybar

• Volunteer
  • Dutch and Dutch 8C's…yes they are that good!

Jim, is there a benefit from having the midrange be an open backed "tunnel" rather than mounted on a straight open baffle?

I believe so based on comments from other vendors, but I would love to hear Jim's viewpoint.

George

DMurphy

• Industry Participant
    • SalkSound

I believe so based on comments from other vendors, but I would love to hear Jim's viewpoint.

George

Hi  I got Jim into this sort-of-open-back thing, so I'll give my reasoning.  We'll see if it all pans out on Saturday.  The main limitation of the various designs I've done for Jim has been soundstaging.  I think the HT-series and the ST series soundstage quite well for a conventional front-firing design, but they won't give you the full sense of air and depth that can be achieved by providing some kind of rear wave information.  A full open-back midrange design on a flat baffle (like the Archos) does fill in the missing information, but it poses placement issues.  There's a lot of rear-wave, front-wave, boundary interactions, and the speakers will sound best in locations that might not be best from a practical standpoint.  And in a lot of these designs, there's a trade-off between depth and presence and detail.  After a whole lotta of experimentation with various cabinet and driver combinations, I think I've come up with an implementation that is much more flexible.  For large rooms where the speakers can be placed well away from the rear walls, the Beast can be run with the midrange chamber wide open.  There's won't be as much rear wave contribution as with a thin open baffle arrangement, but there will be more than enough to open up the sound stage, and there will also be enough presence and detail to provide a very accurate recreation of what you would hear in a concert hall or other live venue.  If less rear wave is desired, the cavity can be filled to varying degrees with acoustic polyfill.  And if none is wanted or practical because of placement issues, the rear can be sealed.  Much to my surprise, the Beast still provided a deeper soundstage than the ST's or HT3's with the rear opening blocked.  I think that's due to the nude mounting of the RAAL and to the naturally open sound of the FAL midrange driver.  Anyhow, that's the theory and my experience, we'll see if anyone salutes tomorrow.

BrianM

You are more than welcome for the cables Jim. I just hope they do your system justice and allow it to speak the truth.

I understand your thoughts on releasing in this economy but if we let the current times hold us back, we would not be prepaired when things change. I like the idea of having at least one product that is built without a "price point". Everyone needs at least one. It allows you to show what is truly capable without a price point holding you back.

You have a loyal following and my guess is you will have orders before leaving the show. You probably won't even come home with your debut pair :lol:

Depression or no depression, there will always be rich people with more money than they know what to do with. Look at Car and Driver, is there any shortage of ridiculous new deluxe models these days? Trick is getting more of them to order from an internet direct company instead of patronizing the local high end salon.

zybar

• Volunteer
  • Dutch and Dutch 8C's…yes they are that good!

George

Hi  I got Jim into this sort-of-open-back thing, so I'll give my reasoning.  We'll see if it all pans out on Saturday.  The main limitation of the various designs I've done for Jim has been soundstaging.  I think the HT-series and the ST series soundstage quite well for a conventional front-firing design, but they won't give you the full sense of air and depth that can be achieved by providing some kind of rear wave information.  A full open-back midrange design on a flat baffle (like the Archos) does fill in the missing information, but it poses placement issues.  There's a lot of rear-wave, front-wave, boundary interactions, and the speakers will sound best in locations that might not be best from a practical standpoint.  And in a lot of these designs, there's a trade-off between depth and presence and detail.  After a whole lotta of experimentation with various cabinet and driver combinations, I think I've come up with an implementation that is much more flexible.  For large rooms where the speakers can be placed well away from the rear walls, the Beast can be run with the midrange chamber wide open.  There's won't be as much rear wave contribution as with a thin open baffle arrangement, but there will be more than enough to open up the sound stage, and there will also be enough presence and detail to provide a very accurate recreation of what you would hear in a concert hall or other live venue.  If less rear wave is desired, the cavity can be filled to varying degrees with acoustic polyfill.  And if none is wanted or practical because of placement issues, the rear can be sealed.  Much to my surprise, the Beast still provided a deeper soundstage than the ST's or HT3's with the rear opening blocked.  I think that's due to the nude mounting of the RAAL and to the naturally open sound of the FAL midrange driver.  Anyhow, that's the theory and my experience, we'll see if anyone salutes tomorrow.

Thanks for your reply Dennis.

I think you nailed this one perfectly and it is consistent with my HT3/ST experiences, as well as my experience with the 5A's and open baffle speakers such as the CS2's.

Have a great time this weekend.

George

carusoracer

I look forward to hearing the "Beast" this weekend 8)

R Swerdlow

I just caught up with events here and saw Jim's photos of the Beast.  WOW!

And I was impressed a few weeks ago when I saw the MDF "test mule" versions.  The finished version is stunning.  If they sound anything like the test mules, I have no doubt that people will love them.

Dennis & Jim - Good luck with their debut in Livonia.

Richard

charmerci

What's the metal pin/plate on top of the midrange for?

Nuance

I was wondering when someone would ask that.  :) 

What are the dimensions of "The Beast?"

Bill Baker

• Industry Participant
  • Purity Audio Design -Custom Design and Manufacturi
    • Musica Bella Audio

Looks to be a switch. I'm going to guess an attenuation/contour switch for the tweeter or midrange?