The "HT4" information, rumors, discussion and suggestion thread

oneinthepipe

• Trainee
    • Salk Signature Sound/Audio by Van Alstine two-channel system
While other speakers receive more exposure, I don't necessarily think that 10K is a cut-off point for factory-direct sales.  If Jim's speakers were sold through a brick-and-mortar network, a 10K speaker would easily be a 20K speaker.  Maybe Jim would sell more HT4 speakers through a brick-and-mortar network at twice or more of the factory-direct price, but I guarantee that he will sell more than "a couple of these," as jermmd suggested.  I think that there are some Salk customers, and others, biting at the bit for these speakers.

I think Jim will absolutely get some existing customers to upgrade (heck, down the road I could be one of them!).  Of course, they already know first hand the quality, performance, etc... of what Jim produces.

Getting new customers will be the challenge.

Talking to many of my friends who own speakers that list for $10k or more, almost all of them have told me that they would not spend that amount on new, large, factory direct speakers.

Again, I want to stress that I hope I am wrong and that Jim is wildly successful.

George  

I think that Salk owners, past and present, unequivocally expect the HT4 to be extraordinary speakers.  Hopefully, the HT4 will receive many accolades, and sales will be good.  Personally, if I were in the market for 10K or 15K or 20K speakers that were only sold factory-direct, and there weren't any opportunities to audition the speakers locally, I would fly (i.e., take a plane) to the factory.  Unfortunately, that precludes the ability to audition the speakers in one's home.

I had not heard the ST RT before I bought them, although they didn't cost 10K plus, but I liked them so much that I ordered a pair of HT2 TL.

George, when you get your HT4, can I drive down from Newton to have a listen?  :)

zybar

• Volunteer
  • Dutch and Dutch 8C's…yes they are that good!
While other speakers receive more exposure, I don't necessarily think that 10K is a cut-off point for factory-direct sales.  If Jim's speakers were sold through a brick-and-mortar network, a 10K speaker would easily be a 20K speaker.  Maybe Jim would sell more HT4 speakers through a brick-and-mortar network at twice or more of the factory-direct price, but I guarantee that he will sell more than "a couple of these," as jermmd suggested.  I think that there are some Salk customers, and others, biting at the bit for these speakers.

I think Jim will absolutely get some existing customers to upgrade (heck, down the road I could be one of them!).  Of course, they already know first hand the quality, performance, etc... of what Jim produces.

Getting new customers will be the challenge.

Talking to many of my friends who own speakers that list for $10k or more, almost all of them have told me that they would not spend that amount on new, large, factory direct speakers.

Again, I want to stress that I hope I am wrong and that Jim is wildly successful.

George  

I think that Salk owners, past and present, unequivocally expect the HT4 to be extraordinary speakers.  Hopefully, the HT4 will receive many accolades, and sales will be good.  Personally, if I were in the market for 10K or 15K or 20K speakers that were only sold factory-direct, and there weren't any opportunities to audition the speakers locally, I would fly (i.e., take a plane) to the factory.  Unfortunately, that precludes the ability to audition the speakers in one's home.

I had not heard the ST RT before I bought them, although they didn't cost 10K plus, but I liked them so much that I ordered a pair of HT2 TL.

George, when you get your HT4, can I drive down from Newton to have a listen?  :)

Why wait...you are welcome to come visit now.   :thumb: 

Are you located in Newton, MA?  If so, you are extremely close to me.

You can hear the 5A's in my 2 channel setup and a Salk HT setup with (5) Song Towers.

George

oneinthepipe

• Trainee
Why wait...you are welcome to come visit now.   :thumb: 

Are you located in Newton, MA?  If so, you are extremely close to me.

You can hear the 5A's in my 2 channel setup and a Salk HT setup with (5) Song Towers.

George

George, yes, Newton, MA.  That is a very kind offer.  I would enjoy hearing your systems.  You are also welcome to hear my HT2 TL, once they arrive (I'll provide the requisite warnings about my kids and other adverse conditions, etc., by back channel).   :lol:

You're located a bit to the south, correct?

Philistine

With Audio Karma coming up soon I would imagine that the probability of the HT4's being in residence and available for audition should be reasonably high.  Worth a drive through bandit country to have a listen.

jermmd

I have Salk HT3's now and I know how good a speaker Jim makes. I make a pretty good living and I'm willing to spend more than the average person on equipment. I would love to buy a pair of HT4's just based on my HT3 experience but $10k is too rich for me, especially in these times. Of the people out there who are able and willing to spend that kind of money on a pair of speakers, how many have heard of Salk?

There are plenty of people who have so much money that $10k or $20k makes no difference as long as there needs are being met. These people are often not true audiophiles and buy things for recognition or based on what they see at a store. There will always be those people who research diligently and want the best. This is the market that Salk Speakers will attract as I'm sure the HT4's really will be competitive with the best speakers at a bargain price. I just hope that price is within my range.

rydenfan

However, I am not sure how many pairs of a $10k+ speaker ANY an internet direct company can sell.  Generally speaking, people who have the means and are willing to spend this much on speakers won't buy internet direct.  They want to see, touch, and hear the speakers before making a purchase at this price point.  You also have to take into account that many people will only purchase from the well established and known brands when spending this much or more.  In my experience, it isn't just about performance and value when you get up to $10k or beyond...name recognition, reviews in established magazines, as well as being represented by established brick and mortar dealers are the major contributing factors in the buying process.

Just my thoughts...

George

I very much agree with everything said here. I do believe selling an ID speaker at that price point is an uphill climb to attract new customers. I think some current HT3 customers will make the upgrade but what the overall appeal will be remains to be seen. As George says, there are many factors for people buying speakers at that price level. I am fortunate to buy an owner of speakers at that price point and an audition of the speakers and 3rd party measurements are two of the things that are a must for me. I am outside the "norm" buyer as I spend too much free time on on-line audio forums  :duh: However, many people in that price range do not. They simply read about something in Stereophile, Absolute Sound, etc. go down to their local dealer for a demo, and either purchase or buy something else.  I do not mean to offend anyone here but a buyer of a $10,000+ speaker is a very different buyer than a $2,000 speaker customer. That being said I am very excited at the HT4's and really look forward to being able to hear them for myself.

DMurphy

• Industry Participant
    • SalkSound
Talk of price points is probably premature given that Jim hasn't even heard this thing yet, and no one has seen one.  But also bear in mind that there are reasons for developing a flagship model even if you don't end up selling a bunch of them.  If it turns out to be a definite forward step, it will bring a good bit of publicity to the whole Salk line.  And it's a lot of fun, assuming you at least break even. 

gthomas

Dennis, I'm sure this has been mentioned somewhere in here, but could you tell me the number and size of drivers that will be in the HT4?  I, for one, will be looking to trade up my HT3 for a pair of these.  Or, trade my HT1s and use my HT3s as my sorrounds!!!  OMG:)

zybar

• Volunteer
  • Dutch and Dutch 8C's…yes they are that good!
Talk of price points is probably premature given that Jim hasn't even heard this thing yet, and no one has seen one.  But also bear in mind that there are reasons for developing a flagship model even if you don't end up selling a bunch of them.  If it turns out to be a definite forward step, it will bring a good bit of publicity to the whole Salk line.  And it's a lot of fun, assuming you at least break even. 

All good points Dennis.

George

fsimms

Dennis, can you tell us what the midrange driver is or at least what kind of technology.  All the other Salks are treated paper or magnisium cones.

Bob

DMurphy

• Industry Participant
    • SalkSound
Dennis, I'm sure this has been mentioned somewhere in here, but could you tell me the number and size of drivers that will be in the HT4?  I, for one, will be looking to trade up my HT3 for a pair of these.  Or, trade my HT1s and use my HT3s as my sorrounds!!!  OMG:)

Actually, it hasn't been discussed (other than the woofer being 12").  And I'll leave that up to Jim to describe if he decides to actually produce the HT4. Again--he hasn't heard my prototype.   He may take a listen and say that it really doesn't sound any better than an HT3 from 28 Hz up, and figure he should just make a larger version of the HT3 and be done with it. 

oneinthepipe

• Trainee
He may take a listen and say that it really doesn't sound any better than an HT3 from 28 Hz up, and figure he should just make a larger version of the HT3 and be done with it. 

Nah.

jsalk

I have read the above posts concerning pricing with great interest.  As most of you know, we have always priced our speakers as low as possible.  (My accountant tells me we are giving them away, but what does he know.)  This project is no different.  But at this point, I need to ignore those posts as there would be a tendency to pare back the design in order to meet a specific price target.

We have never designed a speaker to a price point before and I really don't want to start doing it now.  This was a "no holds barred" project from the start and it doesn't seem to make sense to compromise it at this late date in order to hit an arbitrary target price.

From the very first discussions two years ago, our goal was to develop a statement product that would perform at the level of a $30 - $40,000 speaker.  The drivers we selected (after purchasing and testing many) are VERY expensive and the cabinets will be the most complicated we have ever built. 

Once we finish it, we will simply figure out what it costs to produce and determine what the selling price needs to be.  We will then let the market decide if they want it.

When we first developed our Veracity HT3 model, we received quite a bit of advice about holding the price to $xxxx.  But at that point, my goal was to develop the speaker I wanted personally.  I knew it would cost more, but didn't care. I simply wanted the speaker I wanted. Based on this advice, I didn't figure we'd sell all that many HT3's.  But once we introduced it, apparently others wanted the same speaker as it quickly became our biggest seller.

This potential speaker design will represent a new milestone in performance for us.  If we sell one pair or many pairs, is not really something I am going to worry about.  I will have the speaker I want.  If others want it, fine.  If not, that is fine too.  If the design meets our expectations, we will be very proud of our accomplishments regardless of how many we eventually sell.

Hopefully we can keep the price under $10,000.  But if we can't, we can't.  It's that simple.  If someone can't justify the resulting cost, we will still be producing the HT3's, a very fine design in its own right.  This new model will not be for everyone.  But one thing is certain...whatever it costs, it will be a bargain.

- Jim
« Last Edit: 5 Mar 2009, 04:38 am by jsalk »

Don_S

You go Jim!  :thumb: 

I have never heard one of your speakers but I like your spirit.

Build it and they will come..... :banana piano:

funkmonkey

gotta love that approach!   :thumb: 

Audio Rebel

This potential speaker design will represent a new milestone in performance for us.  If we sell one pair, or many pairs is not really something I am going to worry about.  I will have the speaker I want.  If others want it, fine.  If not, that is fine too.  If the design meets our expectations, we will be very proud of our accomplishments regardless of how many we eventually sell.

Spoken like a true artist, Jim.

jbtrio

Good for you, Jim

Looking forward to seeing your new creations. If my room was bigger I would definitely upgrade.

Good Luck, You deserve it Jim.

Regards,
Joe

carusoracer

Well said Jim :beer:

Bigfish

Jim:

Good luck in completing your mission with the HT-4's.  I know that many of us here on AC are looking forward to hearing and seeing the completed product.

Ken

cujobob

Jim, your approach to all this rocks.

intamin22

*crossing fingers for big signing bonus when I graduate...

I love the no compromise design. Keep up the good work Jim and all the best!