The "HT4" information, rumors, discussion and suggestion thread

fsimms

Re: The "HT4" information, rumors, discussion and suggestion thread
« Reply #100 on: 23 Feb 2009, 03:22 pm »
Yes, small rooms need not apply...

Although I think that is probably the best choice, I am sad.  I am thinking about upgrading and now I will have to limit my choices to the HT3's and the Pharo's.  On second thought, that is not bad  :thumb:

Bob

intamin22

« Reply #101 on: 24 Feb 2009, 03:14 pm »
Just curious, but any idea what the recommended wattage will be to drive these suckers? 15hz is pretty damn impressive!

DMurphy

• Industry Participant
    • SalkSound
« Reply #102 on: 24 Feb 2009, 03:27 pm »
I've only worked with the initial transmission line version, which ended up having too much port noise (hence the switch to passive radiators).  In that box, the woofer was more sensitive than the HT3.  I'm hoping that hasn't changed.  I should know within maybe a week.   

Marbles

« Reply #103 on: 24 Feb 2009, 04:02 pm »
So I'm guessing it will be a passive bass system.

DMurphy

• Industry Participant
    • SalkSound
« Reply #104 on: 24 Feb 2009, 04:28 pm »
So I'm guessing it will be a passive bass system.

Well, I'm sure Jim could do an active version, but the woofer is smooth and sensitive enough to allow a passive crossover, and that would certainly have broader market appeal.

jsalk

« Reply #105 on: 24 Feb 2009, 05:17 pm »
Just curious, but any idea what the recommended wattage will be to drive these suckers? 15hz is pretty damn impressive!

I would say that 250 - 500 watts would be ideal, although fewer watts would certainly work.  But there will be a few options with regard to these speakers and one of them may be a fully active system with built-in amps.  So until we determine the actual design options, it is a little premature to say.

- Jim

JP78

Well, if you think of it this way, with a pair for the left and right mains, you have two subs that play to an F3 of 18Hz.  Do you need more?  On the other hand, I would have to investigate whether or not all the LF info is routed to the mains if the system was set up with no sub (I've never tried this).  Perhaps someone with some experience could address that question.

- Jim

jim, the functions you describe are specific to the processor / receiver being utilized in the system. the routing is NOT specified within the dolby digital or dts specifications. i'm sure you can safely assume that a prospective ht4 client will have full bass routing and bass management within their processor. :)

adydula

• Restricted
Jim,

Just make me a set of SongTowers to go down to 28Hz and I will be happy!
 :D

Alex

mcallister

any ideas what ballpark price these will have? 10K? Just curious as I'm about to give up waiting on LS9's and start waiting for these :thumb:

jermmd

$10k is a little steep. You would have to go cheaper if you really want to sell more than a couple of these. If it's only going to be a boutique product not really meant to sell in any quantity then any price is OK.

Brucemck

For state of the art performance $10k would be a genuine bargain.

Fully active crossover version would be very impressive.

cujobob

There are a lot if people willing to fork over 10K (at least in a normal economy), but I do think going beyond that would be a mistake....especially for a small manufacturer.  I think 7-8K would be a sweet spot...but the HT3 isn't far off that.  A lot will come down to how elaborate Jim makes the cabinets.

oneinthepipe

• Trainee
    • Salk Signature Sound/Audio by Van Alstine two-channel system
$10k is a little steep. You would have to go cheaper if you really want to sell more than truck loads a couple of these. striked text shamelessly added to jermmd's post

You're kidding, right?

zybar

• Volunteer
  • Dutch and Dutch 8C's…yes they are that good!
First off, I hope that whatever price the HT4's come out at, that they sell very well and that Jim continues to be successful.  

Secondly, I am extremely confident that the HT4's will compete with other products costing multiples of their list price (I am basing this on my experience throughout Jim's product line) in terms of performance, looks, and reliability.

However, I am not sure how many pairs of a $10k+ speaker ANY an internet direct company can sell.  Generally speaking, people who have the means and are willing to spend this much on speakers won't buy internet direct.  They want to see, touch, and hear the speakers before making a purchase at this price point.  You also have to take into account that many people will only purchase from the well established and known brands when spending this much or more.  In my experience, it isn't just about performance and value when you get up to $10k or beyond...name recognition, reviews in established magazines, as well as being represented by established brick and mortar dealers are the major contributing factors in the buying process.

Just my thoughts...

George

zybar

• Volunteer
For state of the art performance $10k would be a genuine bargain.

Fully active crossover version would be very impressive.

I agree.

My Vandy 5A's cost anywhere from $17-21k and I consider them a SOTA speaker in terms of performance, build quality, technology, etc...

George

oneinthepipe

• Trainee
While other speakers receive more exposure, I don't necessarily think that 10K is a cut-off point for factory-direct sales.  If Jim's speakers were sold through a brick-and-mortar network, a 10K speaker would easily be a 20K speaker.  Maybe Jim would sell more HT4 speakers through a brick-and-mortar network at twice or more of the factory-direct price, but I guarantee that he will sell more than "a couple of these," as jermmd suggested.  I think that there are some Salk customers, and others, biting at the bit for these speakers.

DMurphy

• Industry Participant
    • SalkSound
I really don't know what price Jim is aiming for.  All I know is that the choice of drivers was strictly a no-holds-barred exercise.  The drivers I'm working with cost more than a finished pair of Song Towers.  I got the woofer box today, along with some very rude gestures from the Fed Ex driver.  I don't think the neighbors have ever heard 18 Hz before.

zybar

• Volunteer
While other speakers receive more exposure, I don't necessarily think that 10K is a cut-off point for factory-direct sales.  If Jim's speakers were sold through a brick-and-mortar network, a 10K speaker would easily be a 20K speaker.  Maybe Jim would sell more HT4 speakers through a brick-and-mortar network at twice or more of the factory-direct price, but I guarantee that he will sell more than "a couple of these," as jermmd suggested.  I think that there are some Salk customers, and others, biting at the bit for these speakers.

I think Jim will absolutely get some existing customers to upgrade (heck, down the road I could be one of them!).  Of course, they already know first hand the quality, performance, etc... of what Jim produces.

Getting new customers will be the challenge.

Talking to many of my friends who own speakers that list for $10k or more, almost all of them have told me that they would not spend that amount on new, large, factory direct speakers.

Again, I want to stress that I hope I am wrong and that Jim is wildly successful.

George  

oneinthepipe

• Trainee
... along with some very rude gestures from the Fed Ex driver.

Must be the same FedEx driver that delivered my SongTowers.  He/she must have transfered to MD after my delivery.

Big Red Machine

ST - $2k
HT2 - $4K
HT3 - $6k
HT4 - $8.5k

That's how I see it.  Of course it is not my company.  Just my perspective as a customer and hanging around.  I think a $2k spread keeps them far enough apart that they stay differentiated in performance and affordability.