Slimserver - Update Firmware?

Dan Driscoll

Slimserver - Update Firmware?
« on: 16 Nov 2008, 10:19 pm »
I just noticed that I'm running a fairly old version of Slimserver, v. 6.5.4 - 12568. Is there any reason to update to 7.2.1?

mcullinan

Re: Slimserver - Update Firmware?
« Reply #1 on: 16 Nov 2008, 10:50 pm »
Its better.
Mike

ted_b

• Volunteer
  • "we're all bozos on this bus" F.T.
« Reply #2 on: 16 Nov 2008, 11:58 pm »
Although I'm a fan of the newer Squeeze Center V7.x versions (more stability, etc.) I'm also a fan of "don't fix what ain't broke".  If 6.5.4 is working fine, stay with it until it doesn't...then upgrade to the latest daily.

Bob in St. Louis

• Volunteer
  • "Introverted Basement Dwelling Troll"
« Reply #3 on: 19 Nov 2008, 10:24 pm »
Dan - I'm a little late to the thread here, but I find 7.2.0 (maybe I have 7.2.1 ???) much more user friendly than my previous version of 6.5.4.
Lots of new bells and whistles, and no bugs. You can't beat that.  aa
Have you made a decision to upgrade or not Dan?

Bob

Wayne1

« Reply #4 on: 20 Nov 2008, 02:51 am »
Some of the bugs fixed in the latest version are related to the operation of the DUET controller.

BUT...

I do find the current official release to sound very good with modded SB3 and the DUET.

Very recommended  :D

Dan Driscoll

« Reply #5 on: 20 Nov 2008, 05:03 pm »
Thanks for all of the comments. I'll probably update this weekend, when I have time to play around with it. :thumb:

kenreau

« Reply #6 on: 20 Nov 2008, 08:26 pm »
Isn't the only drawback slowing down of the interface/processing time?  I did the update and the music folder searches were frustratingly (2-3 seconds) slow so I de-volved back to v 6.5.4 and it improved considerably.

My CPU has 1GB of ram and I did just order another 2GB of additional ram to see if that helps the SC processing speeds.

MSRP, YMMV.

Kenreau

ted_b

• Volunteer
« Reply #7 on: 20 Nov 2008, 08:57 pm »
My searches got faster, if anything.  I see no downside to getting to at least V 7.2 (mine is August 30 daily).

mcullinan

« Reply #8 on: 20 Nov 2008, 09:02 pm »
Go now to your computer and upgrade the damn thing.... dammit!
Are you still running Windows 3.1 too? Or are you using a Commodore 64?
Ok ok Illl be honest... Im running SqueezeCenter on my Atari 2600 with BW/ Color Toggle. The shts dope.
When I bootup the Atari I have it setup to make the Pitfall swing sound. Dopey mc dope!
Mike

ted_b

• Volunteer
« Reply #9 on: 20 Nov 2008, 09:17 pm »
I got Logitech to port Squeeze Center over to my old International Business Machine, and then I hired a nurse to "care" for its upkeep, and a butler to serve me....music.. 

Wayne1

« Reply #10 on: 20 Nov 2008, 09:17 pm »
Isn't the only drawback slowing down of the interface/processing time?  I did the update and the music folder searches were frustratingly (2-3 seconds) slow so I de-volved back to v 6.5.4 and it improved considerably.

My CPU has 1GB of ram and I did just order another 2GB of additional ram to see if that helps the SC processing speeds.

MSRP, YMMV.

Kenreau

mgalusha has found that the "new" interface does eat up a bit of ram. Here is his solution:

Change the skin back to the older slim server skin and you will likely find the performance much improved. To do this click the settings icon, choose the Interface tab and change the web interface to "classic", hit apply then close and restart the browser.

I believe it's not so much Squeezecenter that is slow but the web UI. Lots of JavaScript and it's just flat bloated in comparison to the older "classic" UI. The classic UI is 167KB of which 114K is JavaScript. The SC default UI is 977KB with 677KB of JavaScript, almost 6X the size of the old skin. Your browser has to compile and execute all the JS and that takes a lot of CPU cycles.

Try changing the UI before you try anything else.

Bob in St. Louis

• Volunteer
« Reply #11 on: 20 Nov 2008, 09:18 pm »
I'm with Ted. It seems like mine is faster since upgrading. Hard to tell as both versions seemed to do things "fast enough" to not bother me.

By the way Mike; Commodore 64 with a tape drive and a green monochromatic 11" CRT.  8)  Yea, baby.

Bob

mcullinan

« Reply #12 on: 20 Nov 2008, 09:24 pm »
I'm with Ted. It seems like mine is faster since upgrading. Hard to tell as both versions seemed to do things "fast enough" to not bother me.

By the way Mike; Commodore 64 with a tape drive and a green monochromatic 11" CRT.  8)  Yea, baby.

Bob
Schweeet!
Mike

Mike Dzurko

• Industry Participant
« Reply #13 on: 20 Nov 2008, 09:26 pm »
Beat this, original Apple with AMBER monitor . . . . added a 10 MEG external HD the size of a shoebox for only $900! "No way we'll ever need that much storage space" 

TomS

« Reply #14 on: 20 Nov 2008, 09:36 pm »
ok, I had an Altair 8800 kit with toggle switches on the front (as in binary), before the Commodore Pet, before the ...     Oh, where is that super-geek smiley when I need it?

http://www.computercloset.org/MITSAltair8800.htm

SC 7.2.1 and FW 113 work like a charm here, other than what seems like less wireless sensitivity.  Maybe my imagination though as it's usually hardwired.

mcullinan

« Reply #15 on: 20 Nov 2008, 09:42 pm »
ok, I had an Altair 8800 kit with toggle switches on the front (as in binary), before the Commodore Pet, before the ...     Oh, where is that super-geek smiley when I need it?

http://www.computercloset.org/MITSAltair8800.htm

SC 7.2.1 and FW 113 work like a charm here, other than what seems like less wireless sensitivity.  Maybe my imagination though as it's usually hardwired.
My dad used to bring home a teletype machine from Johnson and Johnson and print Snoopy calendars out for me..  In fact, sometimes I run my Slimserver off the teletype machine hooked to the massive 1970 central computer pumping out 1 half a 1 Hz of power. My library scan takes 46 weeks to complete.

I also had a TI 99/4a which had some cool games

Pop used to bring me these to play with...
Mike

ted_b

• Volunteer
« Reply #16 on: 20 Nov 2008, 09:49 pm »
Come to think of it, the reason i like my Squeeze Center and Transporter so much is because my 30 yrs of selling software ruined my back and turned me into a couch potato!!....:)  ...carrying the damn DEC VT-100 and VT-220 terminals up 10 flights of stairs....just to be able to hook it to a beautiful sleek 300 baud acoustic coupler

and watch a screen paint in, say 30-45 seconds!  Green is beautiful.

Now my son's gaming keyboard (just the frickin keyboard) has more memory and processing capability.   :thumb:

mcullinan

« Reply #17 on: 20 Nov 2008, 09:59 pm »
Come to think of it, the reason i like my Squeeze Center and Transporter so much is because my 30 yrs of selling software ruined my back and turned me into a couch potato!!....:)  ...carrying the damn DEC VT-100 and VT-220 terminals up 10 flights of stairs....just to be able to hook it to a beautiful sleek 300 baud acoustic coupler

and watch a screen paint in, say 30-45 seconds!  Green is beautiful.

Now my son's gaming keyboard (just the frickin keyboard) has more memory and processing capability.   :thumb:
hehe.. Me and my friend at around age 10 used to jump on peoples Bulletin Boards with the three hundred baud... and prank text (insult) them, unknowingly finding out that they knew the number of who had connected and nabbed us. We were the first computer pirates!
Mike

mcgsxr

« Reply #18 on: 20 Nov 2008, 10:32 pm »
Nice development in this thread!

I guess the reason I like tubes in my audio system is due to my father having to manage them in the military computers he cut his teeth on!

We brough back the first Commodore 64 to my neighborhood from the US one summer, and were the envy of the neighborhood.  I remember learning to program Basic on the PET... had to be late 70's or early 80's.

Bob in St. Louis

• Volunteer
« Reply #19 on: 20 Nov 2008, 10:49 pm »
We must all be about the same age. Quite a few of these items were in my youth as well.
Dad was a HAM radio operator (#W0UU) with two teletype machines. One took a look "ticker tape" that he could repeat QSL messages over and over by feeding the tape back through. The first computer I ever saw was like Mikes Texas Instruments TI99 with the mini "hard" keyboard. Then came the Commodore 64 with tape drive (the 5 1/4 drive came later), Then came an Apple 2e (may have the model number wrong?) with the monitor and keyboard built as one piece. I fondly recall "programming" Basic by typing "if/then" codes.

Buy, we've come a long way.

Ted, is this the geek smiley you're talking about ---->

Bob