New: Omega standardizes on brass screws

Louis O

New: Omega standardizes on brass screws
« on: 14 Nov 2008, 01:52 am »
News from Omega...

Omega standardizes on brass screws: At this level of performance, even small tweaks can make an audible difference
November 14, 2008

Today, Omega announces going forward all speaker drivers to be secured by brass screws.

99+% of speaker manufactures use steel screws to secure their drivers. Compared to brass, steel screws are less expensive to procure and require considerably less time to install.

“Resolution on Omega’s single-driver speakers is among the best available. At this level of performance even little tweaks can make a difference,” says Louis Chochos, Omega Founder.

Brass screws are a pain for manufactures, because they double the labor required to install compared to steel screws...

“Brass screws cost slightly more than steel, but the real cost is labor: Prior to installing a brass screw I ‘pre-drill’ every hole with a steel screw, then follow-up with the brass screw as a second step. Obviously I wouldn’t go through this effort if it didn’t make a difference in sonic performance, but it does,” adds Louis.

Steel screws ring, negatively impacting sound quality. Brass on the other hand is a soft metal and less prone to ringing.

Louis adds, “This tweak came to my attention from a customer... With single-drivers that have nothing in the signal path between your amp and the driver, you can really hear subtle differences. The use of brass improves overtones. And the shading of the sound makes for more graceful transitions and better balance. It's subtle, but definitely there.”

As a long-time believer in minimalist audio, taking the extra step to use brass screws is a small example of Omega’s commitment to design and build the best sounding, best-value speakers possible.

« Last Edit: 15 Nov 2008, 02:21 am by Louis O »

Alwayswantmore

Re: New: Omega standardizes on bass screws
« Reply #1 on: 14 Nov 2008, 07:48 pm »
Here's the thread discussing merits of brass screws... http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=56606.0

Kent

Louis O

« Reply #2 on: 15 Nov 2008, 12:04 am »
Thanks Kent

The 3" flared ports are getting the brass screws as well.

Thanks,
Louis

satfrat

• Restricted
  • Boston Red Sox!! 2004 / 2007 / 2013
« Reply #3 on: 15 Nov 2008, 12:21 am »
IMHO, any & all little tweaks will add up and the listener will ultimately benefit from them. My hat's off to ya Louis for listening to your consumers. :notworthy:

I hope to someday have the opportunity to listen to a set of Omegas. :thumb:

Cheers,
Robin

Airborn

« Reply #4 on: 15 Nov 2008, 01:15 am »
Omega standardizes on bass screws: At this level of performance, even small tweaks can make an audible difference
November 14, 2008

I thought this was going to be about fish :lol:  Just kidding...might want to add an "r" in the headline...

zybar

• Volunteer
  • Dutch and Dutch 8C's…yes they are that good!
« Reply #5 on: 15 Nov 2008, 01:30 am »
IMHO, any & all little tweaks will add up and the listener will ultimately benefit from them. My hat's off to ya Louis for listening to your consumers. :notworthy:

Cheers,
Robin

You can hear a pair of Revolutions with 8" Alnico drivers + a pair of Deep Hemp subs when you visit.   aa

George

satfrat

• Restricted
« Reply #6 on: 15 Nov 2008, 01:41 am »

Cheers,
Robin

Get out of here! :o You have Omegas TOO? Incredible. :hyper:

You can hear a pair when you visit.   aa

George

Get out of here! :o You have Omegas TOO? Incredible George. :hyper:

I'll leave both my RED SOX and COWBOY shirts home. I'll wear something humble instead. :notworthy: :D

Cheers,
Robin

Alwayswantmore

« Reply #7 on: 15 Nov 2008, 02:13 am »
Omega standardizes on bass screws: At this level of performance, even small tweaks can make an audible difference
November 14, 2008

I thought this was going to be about fish :lol:  Just kidding...might want to add an "r" in the headline...
Thanks.

Alwayswantmore

« Reply #8 on: 15 Nov 2008, 02:26 am »

Cheers,
Robin

You can hear a pair of Revolutions with 8" Alnico drivers + a pair of Deep Hemp subs when you visit.   aa

George
FYI: George, I'm pretty sure you're the man we have to thank for the bass screws -- I mean brass screws!  :beer:

zybar

• Volunteer
« Reply #9 on: 15 Nov 2008, 02:29 am »

Cheers,
Robin

George
FYI: George, I'm pretty sure you're the man we have to thank for the bass screws -- I mean brass screws!  :beer:

Yes and No.

I believe I was the first to mention it to Louis and try it with his speakers.  However, it was Mike Galusha who mentioned the idea to me to begin with.

George

Louis O

Re: New: Omega standardizes on brass screws
« Reply #10 on: 26 Nov 2008, 12:52 am »
Hi George,

You are right sir. Thanks for sharing and they make a big difference.

Thanks,
Louis

Danimal

« Reply #11 on: 30 Dec 2008, 09:06 pm »
Does anyone know where I can order some of these brass screws on the internet for delivery?  I did not have any luck at my local Home Depot and Lowes.  Thanks

Daniel
Knoxville, TN 

zybar

• Volunteer
« Reply #12 on: 30 Dec 2008, 09:26 pm »
Does anyone know where I can order some of these brass screws on the internet for delivery?  I did not have any luck at my local Home Depot and Lowes.  Thanks

Daniel
Knoxville, TN 

Hmmm....

My local Depot and Lowes had the screws - that's strange.

Do you have a local hardware store?

George

satfrat

• Restricted
« Reply #13 on: 30 Dec 2008, 10:03 pm »
Brass screws should be available at any hardware store, I've found them at both Ace Hardware and Home Depot. Brass and Stainless Steel are considered specialty screws but any decent hardware store should carry them. :thumb:

Ace Hardware: 5214 Kingston Pike, Knoxville and 6950 Maynardville Pike, Knoxville TN.

Cheers,
Robin

mcgsxr

Brass Screws
« Reply #14 on: 30 Dec 2008, 11:21 pm »
Glad this works well for y'all.

I used brass screws in the sub I built for my car.

It was simply out of convenience - I had them lying around, and they fit fine.

NOW I find out it was all for the sound of it! :lol:

satfrat

• Restricted
Re: Brass Screws
« Reply #15 on: 30 Dec 2008, 11:44 pm »
Glad this works well for y'all.

I used brass screws in the sub I built for my car.

It was simply out of convenience - I had them lying around, and they fit fine.

NOW I find out it was all for the sound of it! :lol:

No,,, now you found that you just got lucky. :lol: