Voncarlos

• OB5s in Stripes
Re: X-Statik won Best Value Speaker from Stereomojo
« Reply #1 on: 13 Nov 2008, 02:25 am »
Hey, congratulations Danny !   :thumb:

Danny Richie

« Reply #2 on: 13 Nov 2008, 02:22 pm »
Thanks guys, and a special thanks to StereoMojo for the recognition.

I think Mr. Darby was spot on as well. I don't think you can find a better performing pair of speakers for under a grand than the X-Statiks. 

Hank

• http://www.geocities.com/hankbond1/index
« Reply #3 on: 13 Nov 2008, 05:36 pm »
Another commercial win for Danny - congratulations!

Milehighguy

« Reply #4 on: 23 Apr 2009, 05:54 pm »
I just picked up a pair of the X-static speakers in rosewood. They are
"B" stock, and I got them at an incredible, too low to advertise price! Mark Shifter personally took care of the transaction and took time to answer my and my friend's questions. This took place at the Longmont, CO facility. Mark had just finished setting up his new listening room there where he is planning on hosting some Saturday get-togethers.
Needless to say, I am very impressed with the speakers. This is the first time I've tried an open baffle speaker in my house, and I'm really liking the open, 3 dimensional soundstage of these speakers. They are breaking in nicely. The first thing I noticed was the solid bass. I think the -3 db specification at 65hz is misleading. Although I have a sub with these, I didn't even hook it up, or really miss it, for the first several days. The overall tonal balance is excellant, with realistic mids and smooth highs, yet also dynamic and quite detailed. No listener fatigue, and no midrange grain that I can detect.
This has made me a fan of OB designs, and I'm going to look seriously at the OB-5 or OB-7 speakers.
Thanks again, Danny!
« Last Edit: 10 May 2009, 11:51 pm by Milehighguy »

Danny Richie

« Reply #5 on: 23 Apr 2009, 07:05 pm »
Welcome to the open baffle fan club.  :D

The X-Statiks were also recently reviewed in the Absolute Sound. Wayne Garcia loved them and gave them their Top Value award.

trekker

« Reply #6 on: 24 Apr 2009, 12:37 am »
I bought the actual reviewers pair of x-statik speakers featured in the Absolute Sound. I replaced my RS1000's with them!

Jon L

« Reply #7 on: 24 Apr 2009, 12:58 am »
Shoot!  Now I feel guilty about not having listened to my X-Statiks for weeks  :o

Just not enough time and too many other speakers/electrostat headphones around.  It's a darn shame since they are fabulous speakers.  Perhaps it's time I yielded to reality and let someone else enjoy these beauties.

Danny Richie

« Reply #8 on: 24 Apr 2009, 03:18 pm »
For the non-DIY customer:

Take a pair of X-Statik's, upgrade the crossover, line them with No Rez, then add one of our direct servo subs to handle the bottom end, and you'll have a combination that is pretty tough to beat. Including shipping this combo is less than $2,000.

Jon L

« Reply #9 on: 24 Apr 2009, 06:20 pm »

Take a pair of X-Statik's, upgrade the crossover, line them with No Rez, then add one of our direct servo subs to handle the bottom end, and you'll have a combination that is pretty tough to beat. Including shipping this combo is less than $2,000.

Right after thoughts of selling off my X-Statiks, now thoughts about modding them.  Actually, my plan used to be to upgrade the parts in the tweeter-midrange passive crossover, then bypass the bass crossover with my Bryston active crossover. 

I'll need to install another set of speaker posts, get some No Rez, etc. 

Actually, the passive crossover parts quality seems impossibly high given the speaker price.  It's going to take some real $$ to significantly upgrade those.  Any recommendations?

Danny Richie

« Reply #10 on: 24 Apr 2009, 06:41 pm »
In the lower woofer circuit (red electrolytic by-passed with a 20uF poly cap), I'd add a .1uF Gen.2 Sonicap.

I'd also replace the .1uF by-pass cap in the high pass on the mid circuit (by-passing the 56uF poly cap) with a Gen.2 Sonicap.

I'd then replace the two 12's and the 22uF caps with Sonicaps.

There are two resistors in the tweeter (that is not bad at all) and I'd consider replacing them with a Mills.

Then line with No Rez.
« Last Edit: 29 Apr 2009, 04:35 pm by Danny »

The Ninja

• Industry Participant
  • Manufacturer
    • Skiing Ninja Systems
« Reply #11 on: 27 Apr 2009, 03:28 pm »
Jon,

We are working on a bunch of upgrades for the x-statik.  We can help out if you wish.  If you want to just replace the parts yourself, Danny is your man to order from.

Right after thoughts of selling off my X-Statiks, now thoughts about modding them.  Actually, my plan used to be to upgrade the parts in the tweeter-midrange passive crossover, then bypass the bass crossover with my Bryston active crossover. 

I'll need to install another set of speaker posts, get some No Rez, etc. 

Actually, the passive crossover parts quality seems impossibly high given the speaker price.  It's going to take some real $$ to significantly upgrade those.  Any recommendations?

The Ninja

• Industry Participant
  • Manufacturer
    • Skiing Ninja Systems
« Reply #12 on: 30 Apr 2009, 03:15 pm »
I wanted to share the new x-statik network with you all...

This placement of the XO is just one option.  Still working on a 'cover' for it that still allows you to view your XO pr0n :D

Here is an early x-voce network shot:

« Last Edit: 1 May 2009, 03:09 pm by The Ninja »

Danny Richie

« Reply #13 on: 30 Apr 2009, 06:40 pm »
Sean, your pictures didn't make it into your post.

Looks like Steven Stone is having fun with these too:

http://www.avguide.com/blog/im-x-static-voce

laserman

• Ambiguous-Optimist
« Reply #14 on: 30 Apr 2009, 11:24 pm »
Hi Danny,

Steve Stone does have some interesting positive comments about the speakers.

What do you think about his felt mod to the rear of the midrange drivers?  Could the same results (the ¼” thick felt that’s 1” wide rolls wrapped around the circumference of the midrange drivers) be realized if one were to place a 2" thick OC703 acoustic panel on the front wall behind the speaker at the first reflection area?  The other felt mod could be handled with some rope caulk or modeling clay too.

He could have used some contact cement glue verses the duct tape.   :lol: :lol:

The Ninja

• Industry Participant
  • Manufacturer
    • Skiing Ninja Systems
« Reply #15 on: 1 May 2009, 03:00 pm »
Danny, the photos are showing for me.  Can everyone else see the photos I posted a couple posts up?

Sean, your pictures didn't make it into your post.

Looks like Steven Stone is having fun with these too:

http://www.avguide.com/blog/im-x-static-voce

Danny Richie

« Reply #16 on: 1 May 2009, 03:02 pm »
I still do not see them.

HT cOz

« Reply #17 on: 1 May 2009, 03:08 pm »
I still do not see them.

Make that 2

The Ninja

• Industry Participant
  • Manufacturer
    • Skiing Ninja Systems
« Reply #18 on: 1 May 2009, 03:10 pm »
OK, I dropped them on another server.  Should be OK now...

The Ninja

• Industry Participant
  • Manufacturer
    • Skiing Ninja Systems
« Reply #19 on: 1 May 2009, 03:10 pm »
Danny, please do share your thoughts on Steven's changes...