X-Statik won Best Value Speaker from Stereomojo

Milehighguy

Re: X-Statik won Best Value Speaker from Stereomojo
« Reply #40 on: 13 May 2009, 06:09 am »
Here's pictures of the new painted screws where the pegs used to be.

persisting1

« Reply #41 on: 13 May 2009, 09:47 am »
Milehighguy,

Is that the Mascarey veneer?

corndog71

• Some people call me Rob.
« Reply #42 on: 13 May 2009, 11:59 am »
I think that's cherry rosa.  Mascarey is darker.

Milehighguy

« Reply #43 on: 13 May 2009, 05:58 pm »
It's the Palisander rosewood veneer.
 I might still change to a screw with a phillips or hex or torx head, and a flat black head, but I think for now it looks good, certainly better than the pegs.

Stereodude

« Reply #44 on: 13 May 2009, 06:19 pm »
How did the screws change the sound though?  I'm concerned about swapping the pegs for screws.

Milehighguy

« Reply #45 on: 13 May 2009, 06:39 pm »
I changed the screws on the drivers at the same time as the peg screws as noted in my earlier post. You may notice that the new screws on the drivers are less noticeable than the stock screws. I think the new ones are meant for electrical outlet covers. I thought that the sound improved as far as better detail and more distinct imaging. This was also noted by a friend of mine who remarked, without being prompted by me, that it sounded more "solid". This could also just be a product of the speakers breaking in, but the change did come right after putting in the new screws, which are tighter than the stock ones were. I'm no scientist, but my personal opinion is that the dfference is mostly due to the new screws on the drivers, and I doubt if the different screws in the peg holes made much of an audible difference. If you are worried about resonances, I would think that the pegs, with their greater unsupported surface area, would be more prone to resonances, as well as sonic reflections. But like I said, I personally doubt that it makes much difference, just my unfounded opinion.
In any event, you can easily go back to the pegs if you think the replacement screws don't sound right. And the cost of the screws is so low that it's not a financial issue to experiment.

Milehighguy

« Reply #46 on: 13 May 2009, 07:53 pm »
It just occured to me...

Maybe the fingernail polish is damping out resonances on the screw head! :lol:

I'm really enjoying the sound of these speakers. :thumb:

Steven Stone

Plastic plug pix
« Reply #47 on: 18 May 2009, 03:32 pm »
The most recent software glitch ate my last post showing how the plastic screw covers look on the X-Statics. Here's pix:

Even my wife admits they look slick...

rupnok

« Reply #48 on: 9 Sep 2009, 03:33 am »
2. Has anyone tried to make a sandwich of two layers of No-Rez that could mount on the backs of the X-Statik's two midrange drivers? The first layer would have two holes to pressure fit over the backs of the drivers. The overall size would be a rectangle slightly larger than the length and width of the distance between the two midrange drivers. Imagine a No-Rez "plate" that blacked rear-firing energy but still allowed free air around the baskets..

Danny,

Moving the X-Statiks into a VERY bright, VERY large room (drywall, wood panel floors, 14" ceilings) - I am VERY curious as to what you think of Steven's idea of creating a No Rez "Sandwich" attached to the back grill of the X-Statiks?

I've placed some throw pillows behind open baffle portion, and it seemed to tightened up the midrange and really focus the high-end considerably in my room. I am just having massive 1st reflection issues - and don't have the cash or time to build proper acoustic panels. I think the quick & dirty "No Rez sandwich" concept is very appealing.

The Ninja

• Industry Participant
  • Manufacturer
    • Skiing Ninja Systems
« Reply #49 on: 9 Sep 2009, 02:57 pm »
I'm in process of making two items to help with that.

First, 3" NoRez circles for the back of the driver (bucking magnet enclosure - the black housing) to eliminate and ringing during spirited playback and then a full wrap around the driver bucking magnet enclosure to help with the issue you describe.  You can cut yourself if you have some NoRez and the right tools or we can do it for you.

Sean

2. Has anyone tried to make a sandwich of two layers of No-Rez that could mount on the backs of the X-Statik's two midrange drivers? The first layer would have two holes to pressure fit over the backs of the drivers. The overall size would be a rectangle slightly larger than the length and width of the distance between the two midrange drivers. Imagine a No-Rez "plate" that blacked rear-firing energy but still allowed free air around the baskets..

Danny,

Moving the X-Statiks into a VERY bright, VERY large room (drywall, wood panel floors, 14" ceilings) - I am VERY curious as to what you think of Steven's idea of creating a No Rez "Sandwich" attached to the back grill of the X-Statiks?

I've placed some throw pillows behind open baffle portion, and it seemed to tightened up the midrange and really focus the high-end considerably in my room. I am just having massive 1st reflection issues - and don't have the cash or time to build proper acoustic panels. I think the quick & dirty "No Rez sandwich" concept is very appealing.

rupnok

« Reply #50 on: 9 Sep 2009, 07:05 pm »
I'm in process of making two items to help with that.

First, 3" NoRez circles for the back of the driver (bucking magnet enclosure - the black housing) to eliminate and ringing during spirited playback and then a full wrap around the driver bucking magnet enclosure to help with the issue you describe.  You can cut yourself if you have some NoRez and the right tools or we can do it for you.

Sean

Danny,

Sean,

I am wondering - is your description of the No Rez options one product in two parts, or two separate options. I can imagine the second "full wrap around driver" is more what I'd be looking for.

Will the "wrap around" also cover the back of the tweeter?

James Romeyn

• Industry Participant
  • James Romeyn Music and Audio, LLC
    • James Romeyn Music and Audio, LLC
« Reply #51 on: 9 Sep 2009, 08:49 pm »
George
Apology for brief OT: a particular monitor has 170mm midbass & 26mm dome on 1" MDF baffle.   

Already purchased 4mm thread size "brass wood inserts" & 4mm x 30mm ferrous (sp?) hex head machine screws.  Would you recommended brass wood screws rather than the above fasteners?

TIA.   

...Brass screws may or may not look fuggly, but I can tell you they sound much better than steel or aluminum screws.

They don't look bad on this speaker:

George

The Ninja

• Industry Participant
  • Manufacturer
    • Skiing Ninja Systems
« Reply #52 on: 9 Sep 2009, 10:13 pm »
They are two separate options so you can order the one you want or cut it out of NoRez yourself if you have some lying around.  Measurements will be posted on the site for those that have some extra.

It will not cover the tweeter as the tweeter is sealed (there is no rear wave escapage [new word?  Bonus!]).

Sean,

I am wondering - is your description of the No Rez options one product in two parts, or two separate options. I can imagine the second "full wrap around driver" is more what I'd be looking for.

Will the "wrap around" also cover the back of the tweeter?

Milehighguy

« Reply #53 on: 10 Sep 2009, 12:30 am »
If you want to put damping material behind the midrange drivers, there's an easy way to do it. You can use the rear perforated metal grill to hold the damping material. Just take off the grill, put whatever material you are using (no rez, foam rubber, or whatever) on the inside of the grill, and reattach the grill so that the damping material is pressed between the grill and the midrange magnet. You don't have to glue or permanently attach the damping material, as pressure will hold it in place, so you can experiment with different materials and placements. This may also prevent vibrations in the metal magnet cover of the midrange, hence killing 2 birds with one stone.