SP1.7 switching between DTS <---> PLII Film

23bw

SP1.7 switching between DTS <---> PLII Film
« on: 5 Nov 2008, 08:18 pm »
First let me start off by saying I'm floored how incredible the SP1.7 sounds compared to the rest of the gear I've tried in the past.  I've been eyeing the SP1.7 for a few years but now I finally pulled the trigger on one.   Congratulations on building such a fine product.  As long as I can afford it, it's all Bryston from here on.   

My question is a rather simple one.  My DVD player is connected to the SP1.7 through digital coax.  When I play concert DVDs, the SP1.7 switches mode when I change chapters.  A prime example is the Eagles concert in DTS.  When playing DTS material, the LCD shows:

DTS
  SGNL:  DTS 3/2.1

But when I switch chapters (another song), the SP1.7 momentarily switches to:

PLII Film
  SGN:  PCM 48K

During this switch, I get a rather annoying audio glitch coming through my speakers.   First I thought the SP1.7 was flipping over to analog input.  So I set the IR code to "Force Digital ON" on the DVD input.  This hasn't helped. 

It seems to me as if the DTS signal stream is interrupted so the SP1.7 switches automatically to 2 channel PCM.   Is this what is happening?  If so, any way to get around this?   

I tried to search for a list of all possible IR codes but found none.  Could there be a hidden IR code which could add a few seconds delay before switching out of DTS?

TIA.
« Last Edit: 5 Nov 2008, 09:35 pm by 23bw »

23bw

Re: SP1.7 switching between DTS <---> PLII Film
« Reply #1 on: 5 Nov 2008, 08:30 pm »
I should also mention I did a search and came up with these old threads talking about the same problem.  Neither thread shows a final conclusion.

http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=19574.0
http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=18657.0

TIA.

James Tanner

• Facilitator
  • The Demo is Everything!
    • http://www.bryston.com
« Reply #2 on: 5 Nov 2008, 08:41 pm »
Hi 23,

Yes the issue is because your DVD Player looses lock on the DTS signal the SP1.7 looks for a new signal. What DV player are you using?

I have forwarded this to Mike at Bryston to see if he has any ideas. There is a delay code for the SP2. I am just not sure if there is one available on the SP1.7.

james
« Last Edit: 5 Nov 2008, 09:56 pm by James Tanner »

23bw

« Reply #3 on: 5 Nov 2008, 09:34 pm »
Hi James,

I'm using a Sony DVP-NS70H.  It's about 2 years old.

23bw

codling

« Reply #4 on: 6 Nov 2008, 09:53 pm »
Hi 23bw/James.

soz for crashing in thread.

Iv'e been having the same issues but also with normal playback of DTS material, it's come to the point where i'm trying to avoiding watching DTS movies  :cry: , i'm getting constant dropouts( every10secs approx) the SP1.7 is clicking in the Relays between DTS & PL11.
ive been using a Toshiba HDDVD player & thought it was that(it's abit buggy!) just got a PS3 a couple of months ago for the Blu-Ray , same Prob DTS dropouts :( :cry:
All is fine with DD, Just had to watch the Hulk in DDPL11 instead of DTS  , been going on for a year now..... gutted....... :(

Any idea James?

Regards Carl

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #5 on: 6 Nov 2008, 10:56 pm »
HI Guys,

No I am sorry I spoke with engineering and the only thing they can think of is that the DTS signal is being interrupted and causing the SP1.7 to lose lock. We can certainly have a look at them for you if you want to send them in.

There are hundreds of SP1.7's out there and this is the first I have heard of this?

james

23bw

« Reply #6 on: 7 Nov 2008, 06:28 pm »
Hi James,

I don't get the relays clicking like codling.  The SP1.7 just appears to be losing the DTS signal so it defaults to PLII Film.   As soon as the DTS signal is detected, it switches right back over.   I think adding a delay like on the SP2 would fix this.   Any chance of developing a new firmware version which would add this delay feature on the SP1.7?  :xmas:

I'm too surprised few others have reported this.  Was engineering able to reproduce this in house with DTS material?

Thanks.

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #7 on: 7 Nov 2008, 06:31 pm »
Hi James,

I don't get the relays clicking like codling.  The SP1.7 just appears to be losing the DTS signal so it defaults to PLII Film.   As soon as the DTS signal is detected, it switches right back over.   I think adding a delay like on the SP2 would fix this.   Any chance of developing a new firmware version which would add this delay feature on the SP1.7?  :xmas:

I'm too surprised few others have reported this.  Was engineering able to reproduce this in house with DTS material?

Thanks.

Hi,

I tried my SP1.7 at home and it has no issue with DTs signals - I will keep investigating.

james

23bw

« Reply #8 on: 8 Nov 2008, 04:37 am »
Hi James,

Many thanks for the effort.  I ran some more test today and found my problem isn't limited to DTS.  It happens with both Dolby 5.1 and DTS material.  When I switch tracks the signal is interrupted (I guess not output by my DV player) so the SP1.7 defaults to PLII Film.  

TIA
« Last Edit: 10 Nov 2008, 04:29 am by 23bw »

codling

« Reply #9 on: 9 Nov 2008, 08:35 pm »
Hi James

I bought a new lead today, just to eliminate that possibilty, no joy  :( . been playing about today, if i switch from DVD to say Tape while in playback and Sp 1.7 clicking away, then back to DVD again the droppouts stop but when i either pause of skip chapters the dropouts start again  :( .

going to play around abit more & see if i get dropouts with my normal DVD play with a DTS disc, have used this DVD player since i got the SP 5 years ago,

Should i send it in for a look at James, please PM me so i'm not hi-jacking 23bw's thread,

Thanks Carl