Would you pay 3k for this?

rydenfan

Re: Would you pay 3k for this?
« Reply #280 on: 12 Jan 2009, 06:44 pm »
I heard very positive reports about the ART system. Ted D and Elliott of SR are stand-up guys. I know some people have reservations about it, bust based off the success I have had with their cables I would be willing to give them the benefit of doubt. I look forward to more detailed reviews.

Ted_D

« Reply #281 on: 12 Jan 2009, 08:41 pm »
Thanks Rydenfan.

John Atkinson of Stereophile has weighed in on the Acoustic ART System in the Stereophile CES Show report. You can read his comments in the show report thread.

http://blog.stereophile.com/ces2009/the_art_of_tuning/

Posted Mon Jan12, 2009, 3:27 AM — By John Atkinson
Much to my regret, I heard a significant improvement when the Synergistic devices were moved into the CES dem room and a degradation when they were removed. :-(

Yours in music,
Ted Denney III
Lead Designer Synergistic Research Inc.

Vinyl-Addict

• Groovetracer - Products for Rega turntables.
« Reply #282 on: 12 Jan 2009, 08:49 pm »
Thanks Rydenfan.

John Atkinson of Stereophile has weighed in on the Acoustic ART System in the Stereophile CES Show report. You can read his comments in the show report thread.

Much to my regret, I heard a significant improvement when the Synergistic devices were moved into the CES dem room and a degradation when they were removed. :-(

Yours in music,
Ted Denney III

Ted, What was the extent of his exposure to the ART system, how long did he spend with it?

rydenfan

« Reply #283 on: 12 Jan 2009, 08:55 pm »
Ted, you have a PM  :D

doug s.

• makin' music
« Reply #284 on: 12 Jan 2009, 08:57 pm »
i trust rim way more than john atkinson; i am still waiting for his comments.   :green:

doug s.

Thanks Rydenfan.

Yours in music,
Ted Denney III

satfrat

• Restricted
  • Boston Red Sox!! 2004 / 2007 / 2013
« Reply #285 on: 12 Jan 2009, 11:26 pm »
What reasons do you have for mistrusting the man,,,, do you know John Atkinson personally Doug? :o Thanks.

Cheers,
Robin

i trust rim way more than john atkinson; i am still waiting for his comments.   :green:

doug s.

Thanks Rydenfan.

Yours in music,
Ted Denney III

doug s.

• makin' music
« Reply #286 on: 13 Jan 2009, 12:06 am »
hi robin,

no, i do not know john personally.  and, from what i can tell, he actually seems an all right sort, especially when compared to a few other folks whose rewiews i used to read in that 'zine.  but i know rim doesn't work for s'phile...   :wink:  and, i also do happen to know rim personally, and he's way beyond reproach, imo.  i trust his hearing, i trust his commentary, and i trust his plain old common sense and judgment, re: things audio and otherwise.

doug s.

What reasons do you have for mistrusting the man,,,, do you know John Atkinson personally Doug? :o Thanks.

Cheers,
Robin

satfrat

• Restricted
  • Boston Red Sox!! 2004 / 2007 / 2013
« Reply #287 on: 13 Jan 2009, 12:22 am »
Thanks Doug, I thought I was picking up a bad vibe from you about John Atkinson and was just curious if you knew something about him I hadn't heard. His comments on the ART System sure sound promising, hopefully we'll hear more detailed thoughts from others lucky enough to have had some quality time with this stuff. :D

Cheers,
Robin

hi robin,

no, i do not know john personally.  and, from what i can tell, he actually seems an all right sort, especially when compared to a few other folks whose rewiews i used to read in that 'zine.  but i know rim doesn't work for s'phile...   :wink:  and, i also do happen to know rim personally, and he's way beyond reproach, imo.  i trust his hearing, i trust his commentary, and i trust his plain old common sense and judgment, re: things audio and otherwise.

doug s.

Cheers,
Robin

*Scotty*

« Reply #288 on: 13 Jan 2009, 02:27 am »
As I see it, in the absence of scientific evidence showing how something works or even if it works at all we are left with belief. Do we believe what we are told by those audiophiles or pundits who try a product or not. I have purchased some Tibetan singing bowls but I am not going to ask anyone to to believe anything I say about how they may or may not have improved how my stereo sounds. Something to bear in mind, I don't have a story involving a trip to exotic locales or inspiration from visits to Tibetan Buddhist temples and I suspect that absence would have negatively impacted my credibility with some readers regarding the efficacy using of the singing bowls for acoustic alteration. They are also fairly affordable
as audio accessories go, another point against them.   I guess you will just have to try them for yourself and see what you think.
Scotty

ted_b

• Volunteer
  • "we're all bozos on this bus" F.T.
« Reply #289 on: 13 Jan 2009, 02:53 am »
As some of you know, I helped run one of the RMAF rooms where ART was demo'd.  Our room was a sonic mess (small corner hotel room with paper thin walls, one of which was an outside wall) and the ART system was quite subtle, but nonetheless an improvement.  Some of ART's less than obvious improvements were clearly due to pilot error.  The actual SR room, much bigger and less cluttered, was more of a fair fight and ART was impressive there, although I heard it only a couple times.

Well, fast forward to this weekends' CES.  I just landed back home and this is my first chance to post.  I have to tell you that the ART system in Eliott and Ted's SR Venetian Tower Suite room (which included very capable Wilson Sophia's and Burmester electronics) was no-brainer effective.  I even stood far left of the left speaker, basically completely off axis on the left wall, and heard a collapse of the soundstage and a collapse of harmonics and air when the ART system was removed (i.e cups and Vibratron taken off their pedestals). 

I'm not here to tell you what value ART has, or if the price is commensurate with the materials, etc.  That's yours to evaluate.  I'm simply saying that the darn thing worked in that room, and created a soundstage and sonic envelope that in every way became better with ART installed.  I've heard many products that list higher than ART's price point... that did less, much less. 

And to echo David's comments, Ted, Eliott and the rest of the SR gang are stand-up guys who provide some incredibly creative solutions to today's audio issues.  I WILL own a Powercell (demo'd in the summer) once I move some equipment.

Vinyl-Addict

« Reply #290 on: 13 Jan 2009, 03:37 am »
Well, fast forward to this weekends' CES.  I just landed back home and this is my first chance to post.  I have to tell you that the ART system in Eliott and Ted's SR Venetian Tower Suite room (which included very capable Wilson Sophia's and Burmester electronics) was no-brainer effective.  I even stood far left of the left speaker, basically completely off axis on the left wall, and heard a collapse of the soundstage and a collapse of harmonics and air when the ART system was removed (i.e cups and Vibratron taken off their pedestals). 

Ted, You listened that far off axis? When the word collapse is used, it makes it sound as if the system performed badly without the bowls.

ted_b

• Volunteer
  • "we're all bozos on this bus" F.T.
« Reply #291 on: 13 Jan 2009, 03:48 am »

Ted, You listened that far off axis? When the word collapse is used, it makes it sound as if the system performed badly without the bowls.

I listened both dead on sweet spot and far off axis.  My poorly made point is that it was obvious in all positions.  No, the room sounded fine, normal, without the bowls.  However, with the bowls it changed the room.  Best I can describe is as if the speakers had been repositioned into a much better speaker position....the feeling you get when it "snaps into place" during those tough speaker placement sessions. 

Vinyl-Addict

« Reply #292 on: 13 Jan 2009, 04:09 am »

I listened both dead on sweet spot and far off axis.  My poorly made point is that it was obvious in all positions.  No, the room sounded fine, normal, without the bowls.  However, with the bowls it changed the room.  Best I can describe is as if the speakers had been repositioned into a much better speaker position....the feeling you get when it "snaps into place" during those tough speaker placement sessions. 

Thanks for  clarifying Ted. Can you comment on the acoustic frequency response difference, iff any?

Ted_D

Empirical evidence in favor of the Acoustic ART System
« Reply #293 on: 15 Jan 2009, 12:28 am »
Just a heads up on mounting evidence in favor of the Acoustic ART System's ability to control room acoustics. Two more systems whose room acoustics were tuned using the Acoustic ART System have found favor in Stereophile's CES show coverage- Balanced Audio Technology, and Harbeth loudspeakers from England.

http://blog.stereophile.com/ces2009/a_question_of_balance/
http://blog.stereophile.com/ces2009/harbeth_updates_a_classic/

Yours in music,
Ted Denney III
Lead Designer, Synergistic Research Inc.

Vinyl-Addict

Re: Empirical evidence in favor of the Acoustic ART System
« Reply #294 on: 15 Jan 2009, 12:45 am »
Just a heads up on mounting evidence in favor of the Acoustic ART System's ability to control room acoustics. Two more systems whose room acoustics were tuned using the Acoustic ART System have found favor in Stereophile's CES show coverage- Balanced Audio Technology, and Harbeth loudspeakers from England.

http://blog.stereophile.com/ces2009/a_question_of_balance/
http://blog.stereophile.com/ces2009/harbeth_updates_a_classic/

Yours in music,
Ted Denney III

Thanks for the links Ted. Alan Shaw is'nt exactly "commiting" to their virtues as I read.

Ted_D

« Reply #295 on: 15 Jan 2009, 01:52 am »
No but there are a lot of people who have heard the system and are commenting. There are also reports of speakers and electronics that have never sounded so good as when my cables and acoustic treatments are in place. What I do not understand is why when so many people hear the effect of the Acoustic ART System they are ignored and the only focus (for some) is on what ever negatives can be found, no matter how slight, or from those who descent but have NEVER actually heard the Acoustic ART System. At some point a reasonable person will conclude there is something going on with the concept.

Hopefully you'll never innovate in the analogue field and have to deal with such.

Ted Denney III

Vinyl-Addict

« Reply #296 on: 15 Jan 2009, 02:13 am »
No but there are a lot of people who have heard the system and are commenting. There are also reports of speakers and electronics that have never sounded so good as when my cables and acoustic treatments are in place. What I do not understand is why when so many people hear the effect of the Acoustic ART System they are ignored and the only focus (for some) is on what ever negatives can be found, no matter how slight, or from those who descent but have NEVER actually heard the Acoustic ART System. At some point a reasonable person will conclude there is something going on with the concept.

Hopefully you'll never innovate in the analogue field and have to deal with such.

Ted Denney III

Ted I can understand your frustration. I spoke with someone who was actually in the Harbeth room, a manufacturer himself who had his product in the Harbeth room. He told me that the ART system was placed there by Walter and as far as he knew never removed to define any sonic difference so he couldn't comment on its performance.
I'd like to hear the system because I'm always open to innovative ideas but I realize that our minds can play tricks on us, I.E. placebo so I'd like to hear what they can do in a system I'm at least somewhat familiar with. I live in the S.F. Bay area. Is there any place in my area that has your system? I know Stephen heard it somewhere in the North Bay I believe.

Ted_D

« Reply #297 on: 15 Jan 2009, 03:21 am »
Music Lovers in Berkley and in SF. They will be more then happy to allow you to listen and I'm sure you'll be surprised but happy with the results. Its really night and day- not like the Tice TPT Clock of yore.

Ted Denney III

Vinyl-Addict

« Reply #298 on: 20 Jan 2009, 11:20 pm »
This was posted on Nov. 13th, over 2 months ago. Has anyone demoed them for any length of time? This thread has been dormant for a while now.

I talked to the dealer.  He has 10 sets coming in next week.  He will, however, be in West Coast next week and won't be back until the 26th.  He will try to get me a set out right after Turkeyday. 

ShinOBIWAN

« Reply #299 on: 23 Jan 2009, 01:40 am »
Can someone change the thread title to: "Would you believe 15 pages talking about this?"