Sterling Silver Iris review

hurdy_gurdyman

Sterling Silver Iris review
« on: 2 Nov 2008, 04:34 am »
Just wanted to bring to your attention this link to a new review of the Sterling Silver Iris from Enjoy the Music, just in case anyone is interested.

http://www.enjoythemusic.com/diy/1108/hawthorne_audio_sterling.htm

Dave :green:

mcgsxr

Re: Sterling Silver Iris review
« Reply #1 on: 2 Nov 2008, 12:47 pm »
Thanks for posting, I have been waiting to see a review of the Silver's, I don't cruise the Hawthorne site as much as I used to.

Have a great one,

Bob in St. Louis

• Volunteer
  • "Introverted Basement Dwelling Troll"
« Reply #2 on: 2 Nov 2008, 01:17 pm »
Very nice review Dave, thanks for posting.

Mark, here's an (older) review for the bare Sterling drivers ($1,500):
 http://www.audioasylum.com/audio/speakers/messages/26/269926.html

Bob

Wind Chaser

« Reply #3 on: 2 Nov 2008, 03:37 pm »
Hey Bob,

I'm still waiting to hear your opinion.  When are you going to clue us in?

dweekie

« Reply #4 on: 2 Nov 2008, 06:52 pm »
Hey Bob,

I'm still waiting to hear your opinion.  When are you going to clue us in?

Hopefully it won't take as long as it took to get Bob to buy a tube amp......  :duh:

:lol:  aa  :green:  :P  :)  :D  :thumb:

Bob in St. Louis

• Volunteer
« Reply #5 on: 2 Nov 2008, 08:19 pm »
 :o  What are guys waiting for me to give an opinion on?!?!  :scratch:
Augies in Infinite baffle?   :dunno:

Bob

doak

« Reply #6 on: 3 Nov 2008, 12:08 am »
Hey Folks,

I've been following this forum for most of the last year.
Been interested in OB speakers for a long time and have owned some commercial products that "qualify."  (please consult the link for details).  I've paid close attention to more recent offerings such as the Linkwitz Orion and Bastanis speakers, but they stopped short of being "true" OB by keeping the "bass in a box."  Then came the Emerald Physics CS2.  My curiosity was piqued and I bought a pair back in December.  They convinced me of the veracity of a full range OB design.  Then I found Hawthorne Audio. 

My M.O. to acheive my goal of having the best possible music reproduction in my home has been to find designers/builders who my research, ears, and intellect told me were onto/into something truly special.  The list goes on and on but includes people who I consider "geniuses" in the audio realm such as Mitchell Cotter, Bud Fried, Nudell/McGowan/Christie of Infinity, John Dahlquist, Bob Carver (The Amazing Loudspeaker - OB!), John Dunlavy, Gayle Sanders of Martin-Logan, etc, etc.  What I do is take what they are doing, add to it, maybe modify it, and incorporate it into my idea of an optimized music system.  This works for me because it get me places and further down the road than I could ever get on my own - a kind of "lead frogging."

I sat up and took notice when Darrel "kicked things upstairs" with the Sterling Silver Iris driver/crossover = truly "high-end" in  the best sense of the term.   That was my cue to jump in and work with him to design something that would do what I wanted a speaker/system to do. The result is what we are calling the "Hawthorne Sterling Silver Trio" each of which consists of the 15" Sterling Silver Iris driver/crossover and two Auggie 15" bass drivers mounted on a sand-filled baffle 54" high and 23" wide - but the actual construction/implementation is more intricate than that -- read into the Hawthorne website and Forum to glean more details.  Darrel has "been the route" and has been designing/building OB speakers for years now.. he has has thought it out and thought it through.  The drivers are designed and manufactured to work in and OB "alignment."

FYI: I am not a "do it from scratch" DYI type of guy.  I am an educator (read teacher - now retired) by profession and I mention this to communicate the fact that I don't have a large amount of "disposable income" to throw at my audio avocation - a great blessing in my opinion.   I've been seriously "involved" in this for about 35 years and have been "around the block" so to speak.

About 5 weeks ago, after a seven month gestation period, I took delivery of my Hawthorne Sterling Silver Trios - a unique pair of speakers custom built for me (see link for photos and much more info).  While certainly still in the "break-in" period, I am very comfortable in saying that they are the most musically satisfying speakers I've ever owned -- or heard for that matter.   

Here's a link to a blog type post I've been doing relating to my experience, so far, with the "TRIOS."  I'll be adding to this as time goes on. 
http://www.hawthorneaudio.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=2393&st=0&sk=t&sd=a

« Last Edit: 3 Nov 2008, 03:08 am by doak »

ttan98

« Reply #7 on: 3 Nov 2008, 02:45 am »
Hey Folks,

I've been following this forum for most of the last year.
Been interested in OB speakers for a long time and have owned some commercial products that "qualify."  (please consult the link for details).  I've paid close attention to more recent offerings such as the Linkwitz Orion and Bastanis speakers, but they stopped short of being "true" OB by keeping the "bass in a box."  Then came the Emerald Physics CS2.  My curiosity was piqued and I bought a pair back in December.  They convinced me of the veracity of a full range OB design.  Then I found Hawthorne Audio. 

My M.O. to acheive my goal of having the best possible music reproduction in my home has been to find designers/builders who my research, ears, and intellect told me were onto/into something truly special.  The list goes on and on but includes people who I consider "geniuses" in the audio realm such as Mitchell Cotter, Bud Fried, Nudell/McGowan/Christie of Infinity, John Dahlquist, Bob Caver (The Amazing Loudspeaker - OB!), John Dunlavy, Gayle Sanders of Martin-Logan, etc, etc.  What I do is take what they are doing, add to it, maybe modify it, and incorporate it into my idea of an optimized music system.  This works for me because it get me places and further down the road than I could ever get on my own - a kind of "lead frogging."

I sat up and took notice when Darrel "kicked things upstairs" with the Sterling Silver Iris driver/crossover = truly "high-end" in  the best sense of the term.   That was my cue to jump in and work with him to design something that would do what I wanted a speaker/system to do. The result is what we are calling the "Hawthorne Sterling Silver Trio" each of which consists of the 15" Sterling Silver Iris driver/crossover and two Auggie 15" bass drivers mounted on a sand-filled baffle 54" high and 23" wide - but the actual construction/implementation is more intricate than that -- read into the Hawthorne website and Forum to glean more details.  Darrel has "been the route" and has been designing/building OB speakers for years now.. he has has thought it out and thought it through.  The drivers are designed and manufactured to work in and OB "alignment."

FYI: I am not a "do it from scratch" DYI type of guy.  I am an educator (read teacher - now retired) by profession and I mention this to communicate the fact that I don't have a large amount of "disposable income" to throw at my audio avocation - a great blessing in my opinion.   I've been seriously "involved" in this for about 35 years and have been "around the block" so to speak.

About 5 weeks ago, after a seven month gestation period, I took delivery of my Hawthorne Sterling Silver Trios - a unique pair of speakers custom built for me (see link for photos and much more info).  While certainly still in the "break-in" period, I am very comfortable in saying that they are the most musically satisfying speakers I've ever owned -- or heard for that matter.   

Here's a link to a blog type post I've been doing relating to my experience, so far, with the "TRIOS."  I'll be adding to this as time goes on. 
http://www.hawthorneaudio.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=2393&st=0&sk=t&sd=a

How does your CS2 compared to your current speakers?  Did you ditch your CS2? if yes why?

cheers.

jackman

« Reply #8 on: 3 Nov 2008, 03:20 am »
Hey Doak,

Very cool looking speakers.  Congratulations!   You wouldn't happen to be in the Chicago area??? aa  I'd really like to hear those speakers.

Cheers,

J

Wind Chaser

« Reply #9 on: 3 Nov 2008, 03:24 pm »
Then came the Emerald Physics CS2.  My curiosity was piqued and I bought a pair back in December.  They convinced me of the veracity of a full range OB design.  Then I found Hawthorne Audio. 

WOW! :o  You don't seem to hesitate in making that last statement which is HUGE considering the hype of the Emerald Physics have received.  No wonder Danny Richie just as of late has turned his attention to a similar design. :scratch:

Obviously Darrel is onto something... very big!

ttan98

« Reply #10 on: 4 Nov 2008, 11:11 am »
Then came the Emerald Physics CS2.  My curiosity was piqued and I bought a pair back in December.  They convinced me of the veracity of a full range OB design.  Then I found Hawthorne Audio. 

WOW! :o  You don't seem to hesitate in making that last statement which is HUGE considering the hype of the Emerald Physics have received.  No wonder Danny Richie just as of late has turned his attention to a similar design. :scratch:

Obviously Darrel is onto something... very big!

there is a major difference to Danny's design, his bass output is based on H-frame not Open Baffle with coaxial(similar to Hawthorn) on top. H frame bass and OB bass should sound different. MJK maybe able tell us if they sound that different, dramatically or slightly or something else.

doak

« Reply #11 on: 4 Nov 2008, 02:15 pm »
Hey -- Good to find AC back up.  Been trying to get here for over a day, but no go.

For Jackman:  Thanks!  No, not near Chicago - a bit further south - near New Orleans.   :)

And for Wind Chaser:  Yes, I totally agree that "Darrel is onto something... very big!"

To ttan:  Yes, I have sold the EP CS2.  Here's what I've already posted on this subject on the Hawthorne Forum:

"It is Soooooooo Goooooooooood to have MUSIC back in this house. I won't go into the details here - not yet anyway - but if you've been reading carefully you may know where/what I'm coming from. There is literally NO comparision that I could make between those speakers and the Trios that would not seem "unkind."   Remember what Thumper's mother said?"   :nono:

The Sterling Trio is, and I suspect/expect the Sterling Duet, a substantially superior speaker to the CS2. It's really that simple. There are many "reasons" for this which I could go into at significant length. I still think the EP CS2 is breakthough commercial speaker offering. It is neither my point nor purpose to knock or denigrate it.

Jolojl

« Reply #12 on: 4 Nov 2008, 05:43 pm »
Just wanted to bring to your attention this link to a new review of the Sterling Silver Iris from Enjoy the Music, just in case anyone is interested.

http://www.enjoythemusic.com/diy/1108/hawthorne_audio_sterling.htm

Dave
:thumb: Congrats to Darrel, Diana and Dave! Hope I can get a pair of Sterlings one day ...  :D

-- The Trios seem great! :D Interesting with the CS2 comparison ... Wonder if not the use of the Behringer XO has a bit to do with it ...

Johan  8)

dweekie

« Reply #13 on: 4 Nov 2008, 07:09 pm »

-- The Trios seem great! :D Interesting with the CS2 comparison ... Wonder if not the use of the Behringer XO has a bit to do with it ...

Johan  8)

CS2 vs Sterling
Behringer DCX2496 vs Mundorf Silver/Oil, Alphacore 12ga inductors
Selenium DE220Ti vs Radian 175
MDF vs wood baffle
Eminance Alpha-like driver vs Augie
horn vs coaxial woofer

Those are some of the major differences I can see.  Based on the parts list, the Sterlings should be expected to sound better and cost substantially more (Sterlings are actually cheaper than the CS2).  I'm not exactly wow'd by Doak's preference for the Sterling based on the parts used in each speaker, but I'll leave some wiggle room for personal preference.  We know the higher cost of parts doesn't always lead to better sound, so I'll leave the actual sonic comparisons for others like Doak to make.  I am happy with my Sterlings; they have their faults, but they do a lot more right. 

TomS

« Reply #14 on: 4 Nov 2008, 09:22 pm »
Very nice looking speakers and an interesting review.  I just discovered Hawthorne is but a short drive from here so maybe have to pay him a visit one of these days.

So what is the real finished price of a "standard" set of Sterling Trios and/or Duos?  I couldn't find it on their site other than maybe to comb the forum.

Brad

« Reply #15 on: 4 Nov 2008, 09:33 pm »
Each set of Sterling Duet or Trios has likely been a one-off, so I doubt there is a standard price.
You can take the price of the Standard Duets $1099 and add the driver price difference to get a starting point of about $2300.

Changes are very reasonably priced - get them built to match your decor/tastes

Bob in St. Louis

• Volunteer
« Reply #16 on: 4 Nov 2008, 09:40 pm »
Each set of Sterling Duet or Trios has likely been a one-off, so I doubt there is a standard price.
This is true.
Darrel started out building "cookie cutter" (for lack of a better phrase) Solo, and Duets, but it didn't take long for folks to say, "But could you change mine just a bit.".
Now, he's doing full blown custom jobs. VERY custom.  aa
So the price changes according to how active your imagination is.

Bob

panomaniac

« Reply #17 on: 8 Nov 2008, 07:50 pm »
That sand filled baffle is a good idea and certainly helps a lot.  Nice speaker!

Wind Chaser

« Reply #18 on: 9 Nov 2008, 12:54 am »
That sand filled baffle is a good idea and certainly helps a lot.  Nice speaker!

Have you heard the Sterling?  If I had a room big enough, I'd splurge and build some baffles out of steel.

dweekie

« Reply #19 on: 9 Nov 2008, 03:37 am »
Darrel really makes some nice baffles using many techniques mentioned in the past about the important features for OB.  A lot of these ideas have been used before, but to see it all together in a commercial product is pretty neat.  The baffles aren't just the usual MDF with a pretty veneer and gloss.  All his baffles are wood instead of MDF.  Drivers/baffle connections are damped, or in other cases, magnet mounting is used to minimize vibrations.  Sand filled bases are common now, and he has done sand filled borders for the entire baffle as well.  His wife, Diana, puts a bit of woman's touch to custom design options (WAF anyone?).  Darrel chronicles many of these builds on the forums, and the speaker building forums of the Hawthorne Audio site should be considered a great resource for OB ideas (and not just about Hawthorne products).  One of his current builds is really something to see (http://www.hawthorneaudio.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=2399). 

AKfest 2008 threads should give some more public opinions about the Hawthorne Sterling Silver Iris speakers.   I believe it was the only show those speakers have made a public appearance at, and it did receive a lot of praise, along with the equally impressive Eddie Vaughn Carina amp.