Diffusion behind VSA Speakers

kgturner

Diffusion behind VSA Speakers
« on: 1 Nov 2008, 03:57 pm »
i own a pair of dB99 speaker which have a rear firing tweeter (much like several different VSA speakers). in regard to room treatments, i was wondering what the consensus was for treating the rear wall behind the speakers. since the rear tweeter variable comes into play, would it be best to use diffusion, absorption, or nothing at all behind the speakers?

kevin t

JackD201

Re: Diffusion behind VSA Speakers
« Reply #1 on: 3 Nov 2008, 02:38 am »
Hi Kevin,

I use my rear tweeters to adjust soundstage depth and corner fill so personally I'm inclined towards moderate diffusion in the form of slightly convex panels covered with fabric. The fabric chosen serves to take a tiny bit of heat off at about 2kHz while having little effect from 10kHz up.

Jack

McTwins

« Reply #2 on: 3 Nov 2008, 06:42 am »
Hi
I would choose Schroeder diffusor behind the speaker at the first reflextion point.
No absorbtion :nono:
I have mine ambience at 100%.
Just my opinion  :)
« Last Edit: 30 Dec 2008, 05:04 pm by McTwins »

mfsoa

« Reply #3 on: 4 Nov 2008, 01:17 pm »
I've had very good luck using the GIK D1 diffusers behind my Vons.

I own two and have 4 more on order. They make a distictly noticable difference to the spatial presentation of the speaker.

-Mike

kgturner

« Reply #4 on: 4 Nov 2008, 01:36 pm »
thanks for the insight. i figured either diffusion or nothing would be best. i've been looking at core designs diffusor panels which appear to be a type of schroeder diffusor. i'll just get an extra pair for behind my speakers as well.

kevin t

blownrx7

« Reply #5 on: 17 Dec 2008, 12:57 pm »
I use a GIK 244 Bass trap directly behind each of my VR4.5's.  My room is pretty "lively" and this takes some of the sharpness off the rear-firing tweeter while still providing some ambience.

vgregory

« Reply #6 on: 29 Dec 2008, 02:51 pm »
Has anyone tried the ASC tube traps? (combination between a low bass tube trap and diffusor).

It sounds like everyone is in agreement in getting a diffusors for corners behind VS speakers. I have one right corner but on the other opposite corner, I have a doorway opening on the left wall ...any suggestions would be helpful on how I would treat this room.  thanks

Delacroix

« Reply #7 on: 3 Jan 2009, 07:20 pm »
Greg

you might get some solid input on this over in the Acoustics circle. I've been reading it recently trying to get some sense of how to go about treating a room, which seems a good step forward for all. I have a hard time getting past the rather ugly nature of most of the treatments, so heaven help me trying to sell these on my significant other. If anyone has tried those fake plants that act as bass traps, do let us know!

best wishes

satfrat

• Restricted
  • Boston Red Sox!! 2004 / 2007 / 2013
« Reply #8 on: 3 Jan 2009, 07:53 pm »
Greg

you might get some solid input on this over in the Acoustics circle. I've been reading it recently trying to get some sense of how to go about treating a room, which seems a good step forward for all. I have a hard time getting past the rather ugly nature of most of the treatments, so heaven help me trying to sell these on my significant other. If anyone has tried those fake plants that act as bass traps, do let us know!

best wishes

I don't know about using silk plants as bass traps but I do use a couple of hanging silk plant baskets on the sides of each main loudspeaker. As for the wife factor, have you seen Dan Modright's new listening room here? For more examples of Acoustic
Art, look here. Personally I use Furutech Room Tuning Panels (diffusion) at the 1st reflection points of my walls and ceiling in my small 11' x 17' x 7' room and I have a sound stage that far surpasses what the room should be providing. I feel absoption is both overrated and overdone but then again it's just another preference of the listeners ears as to what's appealing. Here's a picture of Dan's room;

Cheers,
Robin

launche

• ...on being an audiophile...no.
« Reply #9 on: 3 Jan 2009, 11:16 pm »
That's a beautiful room.  I know the art panels cost a nice bit more but it's a design many would love and a long term solution with very a high approval rating for most any set of eyes.  Thanks for posting Robin.

blownrx7

« Reply #10 on: 5 Jan 2009, 01:21 pm »
The room looks absolutely beautiful EXCEPT for the amp in the middle of the floor.
After all the effrot to make the room nice looking, why place the amp in the middle of the floor???
The cable runs are certainly not shorter than usual, so why not place them closer to the wall?
I can't imagine it would ruin the soundstaging or separation if it was placed closer to ANY wall.
Better yet, how about placing it behind a wall?

JackD201

« Reply #11 on: 5 Jan 2009, 06:06 pm »
Maybe Dan just likes a closer view of his cool blue LEDs and top plate design. It's his amp after all. :)

mfsoa