Dan's Room and CES info

ted_b

• Volunteer
  • "we're all bozos on this bus" F.T.
Dan's Room and CES info
« on: 1 Jan 2009, 12:55 am »
I told Dan I would post this.  He has completed his new music room in Amboy.  This is his message:

"Here you go, thought you might enjoy this shot of my music room with the first of Yates Art's 'Art-Acoustic' panels.  These will be used at CES at The Venetian in our room that we share with Audio Machina loudspeakers.

Take care,

Dan W."

BTW, Dan's floor is good ole' concrete, stained with an Expresso brown, and then highly polished .  Very cool (and cost effective).  :thumb:

His CES setup will be at the Venetian tower, room 30-227

(Note: I kidded him about the wireless setup in the pic. :)  In actuality, the sources/pre are on the right wall and out of the picture.  He unplugged the XLR's to declutter the photo.)

satfrat

• Restricted
  • Boston Red Sox!! 2004 / 2007 / 2013
Re: Dan's Room and CES info
« Reply #1 on: 1 Jan 2009, 01:03 am »
That's exactly what i suggested to Bob in St Louis that he try and do to his home theater wall panels. Sure does make an incredible difference in how acoustic treatment can be made to look in a room. Simply stunning. :o

Cheers,
Robin

zybar

• Volunteer
  • Dutch and Dutch 8C's…yes they are that good!
« Reply #2 on: 1 Jan 2009, 01:08 am »
Killer room....what are the dimensions?

Any details on the panel's performance, cost, etc??

George

AB

« Reply #3 on: 1 Jan 2009, 01:50 am »
My wife's freaking out here.
She's looking over my shoulder and wondering out loud why we don't have such a kick ass room.

My answer?

Outbuildings, baby, outbuildings!

She's especially attracted to the floor and thinks the panels are fantastic.

That really is awesome.  :thumb:

arthurs

« Reply #4 on: 1 Jan 2009, 02:16 am »
Truly a sweet setup and a terrific looking room....congrats

rydenfan

« Reply #5 on: 1 Jan 2009, 05:08 am »
There should be a lot more information released soon on the new acoustic panels. I believe they are made by Dan's father-in-law. Very cool looking  :thumb:

Rocket_Ronny

• Your Room Is Everything - Use It Well.
    • ScriptureSongs.com
« Reply #6 on: 1 Jan 2009, 05:21 am »

What amp and speakers is Dan using these days?

Seems to me he was using Wyred For Sound Ht to biamp some Emerald Physics.

Nice looking room.

Rocket_Ronny

JG2

« Reply #7 on: 1 Jan 2009, 05:32 am »
The amp is a new ModWright KMA-150!

Speakers are Graybeards. (Tim's personal pair)

IMHO the room sounds as good as it looks..........

arthurs

« Reply #8 on: 1 Jan 2009, 05:35 am »
There should be a lot more information released soon on the new acoustic panels. I believe they are made by Dan's father-in-law. Very cool looking  :thumb:

I'll be interested in that info....time to change out some room treatments!

ted_b

• Volunteer
  • "we're all bozos on this bus" F.T.
« Reply #9 on: 1 Jan 2009, 05:40 am »
I commented to Dan that his father-in-law ought to get together with someone like Ethan (Realtraps) and produce a killer combo of great functionality and art.   High WAF.

I love the floor.  What a great look.

rpf

« Reply #10 on: 1 Jan 2009, 06:15 am »
Stunning. Good listening, Dan.

funkmonkey

« Reply #11 on: 1 Jan 2009, 06:29 am »
 :drool:  Very nice indeed.  The floor color is great, and I actually like the treatments.  Very inspiring stuff.

Cheers.

Bob in St. Louis

• Volunteer
  • "Introverted Basement Dwelling Troll"
« Reply #12 on: 1 Jan 2009, 12:32 pm »
Dan,

That is one of the NICEST rooms I've ever seen.
"Understated Elegance"
From the wall and trim color, to the floor color to the simple lighting that casts complicated patterns of light on the walls.
VERY nice. You should be extremely proud, you've done a super job.

I'll be looking for more information on the treatment panel coverings.
Robin, thank you very much for the heads up on this.

Bob

rydenfan

« Reply #13 on: 1 Jan 2009, 04:14 pm »
I used to live in an old warehouse style building in New Orleans that was an old canning company from the 1800's. When they converted it to cool apartments, they kept all of the original flooring. Some apartments had the original wood floors and my apartment was lucky and had the original polished concrete floors. I LOVED that place and Dan's floor brings back the memory of it.

Who else is ready to hear that amp?  :thumb:

arthurs

« Reply #14 on: 1 Jan 2009, 04:39 pm »
I'll be giving Dan's room a thorough check-out at CES...

modwright

« Reply #15 on: 1 Jan 2009, 09:30 pm »
Hi guys and thanks for the comments.

The room is 17.5'W x 30'L w/10' ceilings.  The floor is polished and tinted concrete from 1948 and the walls are all 2X6 wood frame with insulation and 1/2" sheetrock.  I probably should have used staggered studs or two layers of 'rock', but just wanted to get the project done.  I believe I was travelling in Asia on business when the sheetrock was being completed last fall.

There are three sets of tracks, side walls and rear wall with six cans for main lighting on a dimmer.  The room has two sets of dedicated outlets, 20A circuits, wired with 10/2 romex.

Pricing is still TBD on the Art panels, so I will introduce Stephen (the Artist) to the thread and let him comment.  They are acoustic absorbers/diffusors, 4" thick and meant to handle all but the low bass treatments which would require bass traps.  I have a couple of grey 'Corner Busters' from Echo Busters in the corners for bass treatment.  I also have a stack of panels treating the wall behind the listening position.

As Ted indicated, all of the equipment racks are on the side wall and a long run of balanced cables are run to the amp(s).  The amp in the picture is indeed our new KWA 150.  Once I fill our backorders, I plan to have a pair of them for my Reference room, running in bridged mono, delivering a plentiful 650W into my Greybeards 4ohm load.

I do also have CS2's and I do use the Wyred 4 Sound amp with them.  They are fantastic speakers also.  I have several systems setup throughout our shop and my office.

I have to chuckle about the wife's comments.  It truly is a beautiful room and the shop IS a separate building.  I don't have the luxury of such a room in my home either ;).  My wife says that I have a nicer 'home' than she does!? ;).  She wants new Bamboo flooring to replace carpet and I get grief for my polished concrete floors in the shop.  The reality is, the cost of having the concrete floors finished was about 1/2 of what the Bamboo flooring would cost for the house!

I chose the method of finish because I liked the look and feel of course, but also because I wanted a durable and organic looking finish.  My other choice was cork flooring, but I am glad that I went with the tinted concrete.  If you are in the NW area and are interested in who did it, please let me know and I will gladly refer you to the excellent contractors who did the job!

We will be at CES in the Venetian Tower 30-227!  You can meet Stephen the Artist and hsi wife Carol.  We will be exhibiting with Audio Machina Loudspeakers and will have a full ModWright Electronics System.

Thanks guys,

Dan W.

Rocket_Ronny

• Your Room Is Everything - Use It Well.
    • ScriptureSongs.com
« Reply #16 on: 1 Jan 2009, 09:40 pm »

Thanks Dan:

Could you share how the floor was done, procedure?

I had painted a concrete floor once, like floor tiles. Worked great for many years but then wore out in spots. So overall not worth the effort. Better to have just gone with tiles.

Rocket_Ronny

Philistine

« Reply #17 on: 1 Jan 2009, 10:11 pm »
Congratulations on shifting the business model Dan into home design!

On a serious note the artistic panels are really cool, acoustic treatments are typically utilitarian in nature and the poor WAF makes them difficult to sell.  It looks like your friend Stephen has a potential winner on his hands. 

Echo Busters

« Reply #18 on: 2 Jan 2009, 03:45 pm »
I have a couple of grey 'Corner Busters' from Echo Busters in the corners for bass treatment.  I also have a stack of panels treating the wall behind the listening position.

I just wanted to add that those are the frre-standing "Bass Busters", not "Corner Busters" on the floor in the room's corners.  Corner Busters are the trianguar ceiling corner traps that trisect the upper ceiling/wall/wall  juncture.  We also offer Acoustic Art on not only our Echo Buster absorption panels and Double Buster diffusion panels, but the Bass and Corner Busters as well as our Phase-4 control towers.  Any Echo Buster product may be ordered wrapped in an acooustically transparent fabric imprinted with digital images from our library or submittted by the purchaser.  The cost is only 15% above the regular cost of the items. 

modwright

« Reply #19 on: 2 Jan 2009, 06:26 pm »
Thanks for pointing out my mistake.  I have used and enjoyed these bass traps for some time.  Do I have them located ideally for the room?

Thanks!

Dan