Favorite brews?

sts9fan

Re: Favorite brews?
« Reply #20 on: 27 Oct 2008, 12:00 pm »
drank a 25oz'er of Golden Draak on saturady.  What a fantastic brew! I would urge any of you who drink Blue Moon to start exploring real Belgian's.  Its a wonderful thing!

Bob in St. Louis

• Volunteer
  • "Introverted Basement Dwelling Troll"
« Reply #21 on: 27 Oct 2008, 12:14 pm »
Americans, IMO, due to their lack of tradition are much more open minded

Not sure how I feel about THAT comment...... :(....... :D.......:(........ :D....... :(...... :D

Bob   :wink:

I'm talking about Brewing, not politics... ;)
:rotflmao: Oh, ok!   Sorry Andrikos.  :thumb:

BobM

« Reply #22 on: 27 Oct 2008, 12:45 pm »
Now that it's getting a wee bit chilly in our parts it's time to pick up some darker beers. I got some Warsteiner Dunkel and Bass this weekend. I'll be picking up a craft beer or two (Magic Hat perhaps) for a Halloween party next weekend (maybe even a pumpkin ale just for fun).

Bob

Demarche

« Reply #23 on: 27 Oct 2008, 02:17 pm »
I don't typically drink a lot of ales, I tend to go for Lagers or Porters. But lately I picked up some Dead Guy Ale (Rogue), and I'm really enjoying it. I definitely recommend it for the up coming winter months.

richidoo

« Reply #24 on: 27 Oct 2008, 02:51 pm »
A friendly audiophile bought me a St Bridgets Porter at RMAF. Damn, that was gooooood! It's my new fav, I hope I can buy it back east. But otherwise I always liked Newcastle.

Len_Dreyer

« Reply #25 on: 27 Oct 2008, 03:09 pm »
If your in the Philly area, definitely try out some Troegs' offerings. They're out of Harrisburg, PA.

Troegs

Stu Pitt

« Reply #26 on: 27 Oct 2008, 03:20 pm »
If you can find it locally, the Cooperstown Brewery makes some excellent beer -

Old Slugger Pale Ale
Benchwarmer Porter
Strike Out Stout

One of my favorites that hasn't been mentioned yet is Otter Creek Stove Pipe Porter.

Dan Driscoll

« Reply #27 on: 27 Oct 2008, 03:43 pm »
Adding to the list:  Black Butte Porter, Anchor Porter (& Steam), though sadly those aren't on the shelves around here anymore, too many local micro-breweries, and the original Pilsner Urquel.   :beer: To All   

Anchor Steam and Porter are my two favorite beers of all time.  :drool: Fortunately, I live less than 50 miles from the brewery, so I never have a problem finding them.  :thumb:

A couple of others we really enjoy that haven't been mentioned yet are the Marzen and Pilsner from Gordon-Biersch and Sierra Nevada's Celebration winter beer.

Andrikos

« Reply #28 on: 27 Oct 2008, 06:19 pm »
I don't typically drink a lot of ales, I tend to go for Lagers or Porters.

Porters are Ales*...
Try Samuel Smith's Taddy Porter. It's MEGAfantastic, just like all their brews! ;)

* Ales use top fermenting yeast and ferment at higher temps (mid 60s-low 70s with exceptions)
Lagers use bottom fermenting yeast and ferment at lower temps (40s-50s) and they also need to be stored (lagered) at near freezing temps for a few weeks.
But, even the above definitions are not as black and white nowadays. Anchor Steam lager ferments at Ale temps, and a lot of high ABV Ales are lagered after fermentation is complete..

sts9fan

« Reply #29 on: 27 Oct 2008, 07:02 pm »
"steam" yeast actually ferments at lower temps due to the climate where it was developed. SF

Andrikos

« Reply #30 on: 27 Oct 2008, 07:49 pm »
"steam" yeast actually ferments at lower temps due to the climate where it was developed. SF

http://www.wyeastlab.com/hb_yeaststrain_detail.cfm?ID=131

"Temperature Range: 58-68° F (14-20° C)"

Those temps are too high for other lagers. And Anchor Steam Lager is a Lager...

jon_010101

« Reply #31 on: 27 Oct 2008, 08:40 pm »
drank a 25oz'er of Golden Draak on saturady.  What a fantastic brew! I would urge any of you who drink Blue Moon to start exploring real Belgian's.  Its a wonderful thing!

I like fake Belgians too!  Ommegang's Three Philosophers is simply ridiculous.  :thumb:

A bar near my old residence had Belgian beer night on mondays... something I definitely miss  :(

geowak

« Reply #32 on: 27 Oct 2008, 10:12 pm »
If I cannot make it to Germany for the Octoberfest, (and I don't travel there often at all) then I am stuck with what I can get here in the states. I know this is not fancy, but I will take the Guinness Stout in the can with the floater to create foam. Pour it into a glass and it's pretty good. But not as good as the one on tap at the local pub.

My two cents worth

vikesfan

« Reply #33 on: 20 Nov 2008, 03:51 pm »
Just about everything that Stone Brewing makes is very good.  I'm partial to their Arrogant Bastard Ale and Ruination IPA.  Mpls Town Hall has some outstanding beers as well:  Masala Mama IPA, Chocolate Oatmeal Stout, etc.

On our table for Thanksgiving will be New Belgium 2 Below Ale, Stone Vertical Epic 08.08.08, Russian River Pliny the Elder and probably Miller Lite for the less adventurous ;(

nullspace

« Reply #34 on: 20 Nov 2008, 04:23 pm »
If your in the Philly area, definitely try out some Troegs' offerings. They're out of Harrisburg, PA.

Troegs

Another Philly local is Weyebacher in Easton, PA. I like everything they make, but their Raspberry Imperial Stout is tremendous.

Regards,
John

Bob in St. Louis

• Volunteer
  • "Introverted Basement Dwelling Troll"
« Reply #35 on: 20 Nov 2008, 04:33 pm »
Anybody ever try "Bob's 47"? I've heard of it but never tried it. Seems like something I should try since it's named "Bob".  :lol:

I bought a six pack the other day for $6.50. I would have though a seasonal micro brew would have been more costly.
But regardless of cost, this is some very good stuff! It's a shame it's seasonal.  :(
Two thumbs up!

Bob

pardales

« Reply #36 on: 20 Nov 2008, 04:47 pm »
I love beer. Met very few I did not care for. Love the Belgian beer too so thanks for the above recommendation. For dark beer lovers i'd like to recommend one of my favorites:

Lion Stout

It is from an unlikely place: Sri Lanka. If you enjoy a good stout, you will enjoy this.  

jmpiwonka

« Reply #37 on: 20 Nov 2008, 04:53 pm »
my fav's are Lagunitas Pale Ale and Dogfish head 60 or 90 minute IPA.

Avery Maharaja or Dogfish 120 minute IPA if i'm in the mood for something a bit different...a little too expensive (and strong) to drink lots of though...

yooper

« Reply #38 on: 20 Nov 2008, 04:58 pm »
Hands down, Weihenstephaner (world's oldest brewery) is the best tasting beer I have had stateside.  I haven't found very many places that sell it but fortunately a local premium grocer (Hiller's) stocks it, and it's only a 10 minute drive from the house.

Product Description:

A classic, unfiltered wheat beer from the world's oldest operating brewery. The Hefe boasts fruity banana and citrus flavours, which are complemented by creamy yeast flavours, spicy notes, and a smooth malt backbone. Full bodied and very complex, it's undoubtedly one of the best wheat beers in the world. The Weihenstephan ("Sacred Stephen") Brewery is the oldest operating brewery in the world.

In 1040, the Benedictine monastery overlooking the town of Freising, in Germany, was granted the right to brew. It has also been established that the Benedictine monks had already brewed their own beer much earlier than this. Even as early as 768a hops garden was founded in the grounds of the monastery, the harvest of which was certainly brewed in the monastery; which, incidentally, also means that beer made with hops, as we know it today, came into being at Weihenstephan.

The reputation of the Weihenstephan brewers as true masters of their craft has grown in strength over the centuries, and today’s modern commercial brewery – and the world’s best known University of Brewing – occupy the former monastery buildings. The Weihenstephan Brewery maintains close links with the University. In the brewery, students from around the world are let into the secrets of the Bavarian art of brewing. Many of the world’s best brewers have been trained here and many breweries draw their yeasts from the famous Weihenstephan yeast library. Weihenstephan combines hundreds of years of brewing experience with the most up to date brewing technology and innovation.

Tasting Notes:

Pours out of the bottle a cloudy golden pale body with a magnificent creamy head. Aromas of light citrus, clove, yeast and fresh wheat. Tastes spicy with a smooth malt background, fruity banana overtones, spicy clove, citrus, and even peach. Wonderfully rich yeast flavours. Full bodied, and very complex in flavour.

woodsyi

• Facilitator
  • Always Look on the Bright Side of Life!
« Reply #39 on: 20 Nov 2008, 05:03 pm »
Anchor Old Foghorn Ale is delicious.  :beer:

http://www.anchorbrewing.com/beers/oldfoghorn.htm