Favorite brews?

Thirsty

Re: Favorite brews?
« Reply #60 on: 12 Jun 2009, 09:05 pm »
I'm an all grain home brewer and two beers that I really enjoy and haven't been able to brew a good clone of is O'Dells 90 Schilling and Youngs Double Chocolate Stout, and I'll probably get flamed for admitting this but there is nothing better then a Stroh's on a hot summer day.

sfox50

« Reply #61 on: 13 Jun 2009, 03:59 am »
I work for the Flying Dog Brewery, formerly of Denver, but now located in Frederick,MD. I was impressed with the variety & quality of the brews offered before I worked there- now I'm much more of a fan seeing what effort goes in to good craft brew.

Scottdazzle

« Reply #62 on: 13 Jun 2009, 02:26 pm »

I couldn't resist the image and the ale is excellent, too!

Tyson

• Audio - It's all a big fake.
« Reply #63 on: 13 Jun 2009, 08:11 pm »
I'm normally a scotch and bourbon guy, but if I must havea beer, Chimay is my favorite.

CSI

« Reply #64 on: 13 Jun 2009, 08:49 pm »
I've seen a couple of references to the fine, hearty brews from Stone Brewing. I'm fortunate to live a couple of miles from the brewery. If you are ever in the vicinity (North San Diego County) be sure to visit. It is a great facility with a terrific indoor/outdoor restaurant and garden (where they show old movies on summer nights). When they moved to the new brewery a couple of years ago they turned over their old site in San Marcos to a smaller local craft brewer and competitor. They also help by distributing his product and those of other local brewers. Unlike other industries where cut throat competition is the order of the day, the San Diego brewers all seem to pull together. Stone co-founder Greg Koch says it is kind of "like a music scene. Sometimes you just catch this vibe that's going in a region and you sort of play off each other". How cool is that.

dflee

« Reply #65 on: 13 Jun 2009, 09:05 pm »
I've taken to the Flying Dog In Heat Wheat as a go to beer for the occasional brew.
Really like Beemish when I can get my hands on it. Great stout.
Enjoy getting different beers with each visit to the store but have found myself gravitating to the English variety
lately.
Draft rules

Nick77

« Reply #66 on: 13 Jun 2009, 09:08 pm »
I'm normally a scotch and bourbon guy, but if I must havea beer, Chimay is my favorite.

Yeah that blue label is pretty special.  :green:

Steidl Guitars

« Reply #67 on: 13 Jun 2009, 09:35 pm »
First, yay beer. 

As I read this thread, I imagined being quiet because my current tastes seemed to run pretty different than most (which ain't a bad thing); I'm leaning heavily towards overly hopped beer. 

And then I read funkmonkey's post and decided that we might have been separate at birth  :wink:

Stone - Ruination IPA            -(pricey, but worth it)
Green Flash - West Coast IPA -(big on the finish, tastes a bit like weed (hops closest relative))
Bear Republic - Racer 5 (IPA) -(my goto beer as of late, very hoppy but not overkill)

I'd second that I think Stone Ruination is excellent.  As a parting gift to a friend who was moving out in the sticks of Texas, I got her a 15 gallon keg of Ruination for her kegorator. 

My favorite though?  Green Flash Imperial.  West Coast is very good (and their Double Stout is excellent too), but Green Flash Imperial is something else.  There is a lot going on in that monster beer, and if you like hops, I'd say try to find a bottle.  It's lovely stuff. 

Racer 5 is my staple; excellent! 

Another worth finding is Breckenridge 471, a double IPA.  Lots of body and malty which sounds odd for an IPA, but it's quite nice.  The rest of their beers are solid, but the 471 special.

And as I composed this (see image behind bottle), I thought I'd show a recent sample of what's passed through this gut:

Browntrout

« Reply #68 on: 20 Sep 2009, 09:10 pm »
Rochefort Trappist 10, 8 or 6. With 10 being my favorite.

jermmd

« Reply #69 on: 21 Sep 2009, 12:06 am »
I'm easy to please.

I like most beers but these are what I drink:
Favorite canned beer is Genesee (30 beers for $10)  :thumb:
Favorite bottled beer is Heineken (what can I say, it tastes good)
In my Kegerator- Bass Ale!

I think Bass from a keg is the most delicious of all.

jimdgoulding

« Reply #70 on: 21 Sep 2009, 01:28 am »
Spent a couple of weeks in a walk up hotel over a pub in West London one time.  The pub was a Fuller's house.  Still haven't found anything I like as much.  It's ESB for me!

BradJudy

« Reply #71 on: 22 Sep 2009, 12:30 am »
I work for the Flying Dog Brewery, formerly of Denver, but now located in Frederick,MD. I was impressed with the variety & quality of the brews offered before I worked there- now I'm much more of a fan seeing what effort goes in to good craft brew.

Just picked up a pack of the Dogtoberfest Marzen.  This is a good season for those of us who enjoy German style beers - lots of Oktoberfest seasonals out there. 

BobM

« Reply #72 on: 22 Sep 2009, 12:54 pm »
Guinness 250 year anniversary

Mike Nomad

« Reply #73 on: 22 Sep 2009, 01:36 pm »
~
« Last Edit: 27 Oct 2014, 02:37 pm by Mike Nomad »

dflee

« Reply #74 on: 28 May 2013, 12:11 am »
It's been a while since any posts have graced this topic and I am curious as to taste changes. There have been some great beers come out since the last post. I have got a couple of beers I really like.
1. Bells Porter- Simply a great Porter that doesn't need any fancy flavoring or the like. Just and excellent beer.
2. Dark Horse Boffo Brown Ale- A fantastic brown. Is unfiltered so make sure you pour properly.
3. Dark Horse Amber Ale- Another unfiltered but one of the best Ale I've had in a long time.
Honorable mention would go to Clown Shoes- Tramp Stamp. I got this as a joke for a friend of mine and she loved it. Tried one myself and found it to be pretty good but won't pay that much for a beer normally.
Strange Brew category would be New Holland Dragons Milk- It's listed as aged in oak barrel and to me tastes just like a single malt scotch whiskey.

Tell me what you guys have been up to.

wushuliu

« Reply #75 on: 28 May 2013, 12:49 am »
Don't know what deal with the devil was made but there's an 18mo. brewery in Los Angeles called Golden Road. They're already hugely popular, have taken over 3 warehouses and have a large and busy pub to boot. That said I have to admit just about EVERY beer of theirs I've tried is terrific and there is a wide selection. I am partial to their Darts Away IPA.

God Bless Bev 'Mo. Such a huge selection. Lately I've tried:

Tusker (Kenyan) - light and smooth. Refreshing. What Bud/Miller etc. would taste like if they didn't suck.
Maredsous - Belgian Ale. High alc. content but sweet, also smooth. I am becoming partial to some Belgian Ales
Racer 5 - just a darn good beer. Similar to Sierra Nevada.
Fat Tire Amber Ale - another good go to
Stone Cali-Belgi - Limited Edition, but it's my favorite Stone. It was also cheap to boot. I find Stone a bit too hoppy in general but this one was a nice balance.

geowak

« Reply #76 on: 28 May 2013, 02:11 am »
#1 Guinness draft (stout)
#2 Pilsner (Germany)

underdog64

« Reply #77 on: 28 May 2013, 03:08 am »
1.Hoegaarden
2.Leffe Golden
3.Boddington's Pub Ale
4.Ska Brewing Pinstripe Ale (Durango Co)
5.Odell Brewing St. Lupulin (Co micro seasonal)

underdog64

« Reply #78 on: 28 May 2013, 03:19 am »
sfox50-I love Flying Dog Doggy Style.Didn't know they moved from CO to MD till I moved here (Denver).Still have Flying Dog's Humprey the  Humping Hound-lol! Well CO's loss is MD's gain!

ArthurDent

• Don't Panic / Mostly Harmless
« Reply #79 on: 28 May 2013, 06:03 am »
Recently re-discovered an old favorite, Tooths Sheaf Stout. They've changed the name to simply Sheaf Stout, with the necessary label change, but doesn't appear the recipe has been shortened. A very tasty Aussie offering worth checking out if you can find it.