New Musical Design Chameleon C1 Preamp on Loan to Gassers

steve k

Sturgus was kind enough to place his new Musical Design Chameleon C1 Preamp out on loan to members of the GAS group for a test drive. For those of you who don't know, this is a new prototype kit preamp offered by John Hillig which has interchangeable snap in boards which allows you to try different 9-pin tubes. This is a great way to hear the differences in tube performance at home in your own system.

The boards/tubes offered so far are: 6H30, 6922, 6N1P, a twin 6922 board, or the 5687 tube. There are also rumors that John is working on an octal board. Price for the kit with one board will be around $500. Prices for additional boards aren't set yet. The kit will not include a case. This is a prototype that John is sending around to see what people think of the idea. Let me know who wants to try it out next.
Steve K.

« Last Edit: 19 Oct 2008, 03:35 am by steve k »

steve k

Re: New Musical Design Chameleon C1 Preamp on Loan to Gassers
« Reply #1 on: 19 Oct 2008, 06:36 pm »
bump

steve k

« Reply #2 on: 20 Oct 2008, 12:18 am »
bump

Blackmore

« Reply #3 on: 20 Oct 2008, 01:50 am »
Hey Steve,
I'll bite and be next in line.  I am busy until the 1st of November and am planning a trip into the record stores.  Maybe I could stop by and pick it up????

steve k

« Reply #4 on: 20 Oct 2008, 01:57 am »
No problem Mark. Just give me a call or I could bring it by the Wind Symphony Concert on the 2nd?

Blackmore

« Reply #5 on: 20 Oct 2008, 02:00 am »
If you don't mind, could you bring it to the Wind Symphony concert?  That will be a nice treat after the concert.

steve k

« Reply #6 on: 20 Oct 2008, 02:14 am »
Not a problem. Send me a PM that week to remind me.

MerRev

« Reply #7 on: 21 Nov 2008, 08:28 pm »

hey guys, I just wanted to see if you had any thoughts on the Musical Design Chameleon kit?

I haven't heard this version but it sounds like John wanted to show just how much fun a bare bones kit could be.  I own a pimped out Chameleon and have had an interesting year or so with it.  It's quite honestly been maddening fun and I have yet to settle on a favorite driver board.  With each system change ( I know, I know- the Speaker WHORE that I am) or cables, source etc..  it seems I find a likeable quality/synergy  with each tube.  Anyway, I thought it would be worth keeping the thread alive and am anxious to have some other Gas guys opinions.

Here's a link to a pic from a past thread:
http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=35564.msg320285#msg320285

Blackmore

« Reply #8 on: 22 Nov 2008, 12:07 am »
It's been a lot of fun.  Started with the 6N1P tube and thought the preamp sounded pretty good, just not special.  Then I switched to the 5687 board and found a much smoother top end.  Bass was similar, but the highs were less "hi-fi". This board made the preamp very musical, allowing me to concentrate on the intent of the performance.  The 6N1p board merely sounds like a nice preamp. I enjoyed the 5687 board a lot and could see it being a favorite in your system.
 Then I tried the 6H30 board and things got interesting.  Best bass response I've heard from my speakers.  :thumb:  This is my favorite board for the preamp.  Maybe a little too hot on certain recordings, but man is it fun to listen to.  Musical lines are clearer in complex music and details in soundstage are quite easy to hear.  Love that 6H30 tube.  The 12AU7 board was almost a let down after that.  Nothing really wrong with it, just not as much fun. Thought the bass was a little too mushy, but that may be my reaction after hearing what my speakers are capable of with a different preamp tube.  For all you "tone" lovers, rumor has it that an octal board may be in the future.

So here we have a preamp that it great fun; it allows tube rolling (only one tube on most boards means half the cost of tube rolling), board rolling, and sound tailoring unavailable in any other preamp.  Look at it this way; one preamp becomes 4 or 5 different preamps that let you learn about soundstage, PRAT, tone quality, etc. and you can change it in a matter of minutes.  Want refined, beautiful music making?  Fire up the 5687 board.  In the mood for some  :drums:?  Grab that 6H30 board and hang on.  Maybe a wider, more spacious presentation?  12AU7 board snaps right in.  Very cool concept!!!!  Who wants this little baby next?????????

Rex Everything

• Japanese McIntosh?
« Reply #9 on: 23 Nov 2008, 03:44 pm »
I'd like to get on the list for the pre amp.

I'm in need of a tube pre amp and Sturgus has hinted that this may be the one.

Blackmore

« Reply #10 on: 23 Nov 2008, 04:02 pm »
I'm showing it off at Bob's house today, but I'll bring it back home tonight.  Why don't you pm me and we'll work out how I can get this to you next week.  I'm off work on Wednesday and will be around all weekend. 

Rex Everything

• Japanese McIntosh?
« Reply #11 on: 23 Nov 2008, 05:41 pm »
PM sent.

steve k

« Reply #12 on: 25 Nov 2008, 02:05 am »
Chris, you're right. I should have shed some light on my experience with the Chameleon so here goes.

I started with the 6H30 board and in my system what I got was very clear highs and bass--great extension on both ends of the spectrum but I found the midrange a tad reserved--more like a solid state sound but still with the 3D quality of tubes. IMO, the 6H30 board is for those who crave detail, speed and treble and bass extension.

I moved onto the 5687 board which I found to be more forward, much higher gain than the 6H30 but still quite detailed and with the midrange warmth that I love so much from tubes. To me the 5687 was a perfect compromise between detail and warmth. It was my favorite of all with an easy, listenable, non-fatiquing sound.

The 6922 board had a huge midrange and that big, round traditional tube sound that vintage guys love. In my system, the upper highs were a bit shouty though on occasion but overall the 6922 has a very romantic sound. 

My least favorite was the 6n1p board. In my system it was too forward and too hard sounding--it lacked air, warmth and subtlety.

Again, these are all observations made in my system--they could be completely different in another system which is what makes the Chameleon a kick to play with. It's a great way to introduce people to the different sonic qualities of each tube type and is a damn good sounding preamp in its own right. It's certainly a unique piece at a reasonable price and worth a listen.

steve k

Rex Everything

• Japanese McIntosh?
« Reply #13 on: 5 Dec 2008, 05:46 pm »
I have this unit now and have had it for a bit but I have not had a chance to try it out yet. Planning on getting it in the system this weekend. I'll update this when I do.

Rex Everything

• Japanese McIntosh?
« Reply #14 on: 12 Jan 2009, 03:51 am »
Who's up next for the Chameleon?

bpape

• Industry Participant
  • I am serious and don't call my Shirley
    • Sensible Sound Solutions
« Reply #15 on: 12 Jan 2009, 12:33 pm »
I might be interested in taking it for a spin if there's nobody else in line. 

Bryan

Rex Everything

• Japanese McIntosh?
« Reply #16 on: 12 Jan 2009, 06:11 pm »
I might be interested in taking it for a spin if there's nobody else in line. 

Bryan

If you're next up I'd be happy to meet you somewhere with the Chameleon.

bpape

• Industry Participant
  • I am serious and don't call my Shirley
    • Sensible Sound Solutions
« Reply #17 on: 12 Jan 2009, 06:17 pm »
Pretty tied up the next couple of days.  Let's see how it goes and I'll get back to you.  If anyone else wants to jump in, I can certainly wait.

Bryan

Rex Everything

• Japanese McIntosh?
« Reply #18 on: 17 Jan 2009, 08:29 pm »
OK....who get's this next?

Does it go back to Sturgus?

Rex Everything

• Japanese McIntosh?
« Reply #19 on: 27 Jan 2009, 10:18 pm »
Nobody wants to try this unit out?

If not I can bring it to you Sturgus or we can meet or what ever you'd like to do.

Let me know.