Unifield 3s

JackD201

Unifield 3s
« on: 8 Oct 2008, 07:23 pm »
Just finished setting up the Unifield 3s. I had my fingers crossed as I was setting them up. $15,000 for little guys like these had me sweating bullets. Hearing them however has given me much comfort. I'll definitely be able to sell them and the attendees at our Hi-Fi show in November are in for one hell of a surprise.

Yo Damon you forgot to send me the clay and the felt dots. I improvised with the clay by using spare CMS interfaces between the bass modules and the stands in the meantime. No midrange glare so no need for the felt dots. These babies do require some work. I got spoiled setting up 4's and 5's where the rubber spikes go directly onto indentations on the bass modules. Definitely a two man job when voicing the system via positioning.

Someone here said they sound like little 9s. Umm yeah. They do. The clarity and extension from such small speakers has got even a 9 owner like myself astounded. Gaia, Track 4 of the James Taylor Hourglass SACD made my jaw drop when the big bass thwacks came. It shook the couch while maintaining very good pitch. That's all for now. I've got 324 hours of burn in to go.

HOW DO YOU DO IT ALBERT?  :duh: :duh: :duh:

varsharun

Re: Unifield 3s
« Reply #1 on: 8 Oct 2008, 07:53 pm »
They are astonishing, aren't they? You just wait till they break in completely to realize their true potential. It's a pity that Albert's speakers
do not get the publicity and critics' push they deserve. Over the past few months, I have realized that the U3s are more sensitive to cabling
than perhaps the VR4s, and of course I vastly prefer them with tubes rather than ss.

-Arun

Just finished setting up the Unifield 3s. I had my fingers crossed as I was setting them up. $15,000 for little guys like these had me sweating bullets. Hearing them however has given me much comfort. I'll definitely be able to sell them and the attendees at our Hi-Fi show in November are in for one hell of a surprise.

Yo Damon you forgot to send me the clay and the felt dots. I improvised with the clay by using spare CMS interfaces between the bass modules and the stands in the meantime. No midrange glare so no need for the felt dots. These babies do require some work. I got spoiled setting up 4's and 5's where the rubber spikes go directly onto indentations on the bass modules. Definitely a two man job when voicing the system via positioning.

Someone here said they sound like little 9s. Umm yeah. They do. The clarity and extension from such small speakers has got even a 9 owner like myself astounded. Gaia, Track 4 of the James Taylor Hourglass SACD made my jaw drop when the big bass thwacks came. It shook the couch while maintaining very good pitch. That's all for now. I've got 324 hours of burn in to go.

HOW DO YOU DO IT ALBERT?  :duh: :duh: :duh:

Damon Von Schweikert

• Industry Participant
    • Von Schweikert Audio
« Reply #2 on: 9 Oct 2008, 12:38 am »
Jack - Sorry about the mix up but we've made a rolling change with the clay and felt pads.  Albert has decreed the clay to be too messy and has sourced isolation pads for future production.  They are now in-stock so I will have Joe send you a set.

To any current owners of the UniField 3, we are happy to send out this new isolation solution.  If you're interested, please contact Joe at service@vonschweikert.com and he'll take care of you.

JackD201

« Reply #3 on: 9 Oct 2008, 04:31 pm »
Jack - Sorry about the mix up but we've made a rolling change with the clay and felt pads.  Albert has decreed the clay to be too messy and has sourced isolation pads for future production.  They are now in-stock so I will have Joe send you a set.

To any current owners of the UniField 3, we are happy to send out this new isolation solution.  If you're interested, please contact Joe at service@vonschweikert.com and he'll take care of you.

Thanks Damon!

JackD201

« Reply #4 on: 21 Oct 2008, 01:32 pm »
Arun,

I'm 60 hours in and boy you are on the money. They are getting better by the day. Ditto on the tubes these babies seem to have almost limitless powers of resolution. As the hours go by the micro details get more and more fleshed out from transient, sustain to decay. They seem to be laying bare everything the Accuphase DP78s, Lamm LL2 and Lamm ML1.1s are dishing out. Choral music is absolutley &^%$ glorious! Okay. I'm sounding like a fanboy so I should shut up  :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Jack

varsharun

« Reply #5 on: 21 Oct 2008, 07:04 pm »
Exactly. They are amazing with voices including solo vocals. Almost like Diana Krall is right in my living room...which was mostly a fantasy at one time  :lol: :lol:
The imaging and resolving nature of these speakers is something else. I've not been fortunate to hear any of the VSA speakers from VR5 upwards, but perhaps after some extended listening, you can compare these to the VR5s and the VR9s.

Regards,
Arun

Arun,

I'm 60 hours in and boy you are on the money. They are getting better by the day. Ditto on the tubes these babies seem to have almost limitless powers of resolution. As the hours go by the micro details get more and more fleshed out from transient, sustain to decay. They seem to be laying bare everything the Accuphase DP78s, Lamm LL2 and Lamm ML1.1s are dishing out. Choral music is absolutley &^%$ glorious! Okay. I'm sounding like a fanboy so I should shut up  :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Jack

JackD201

« Reply #6 on: 21 Oct 2008, 07:59 pm »
When I hit 350 hours I promise to do just that :)

mcullinan

« Reply #7 on: 21 Oct 2008, 08:08 pm »
They look nice. How much are these puppies?
Mike

disco

• Industry Participant
    • Supra HiFi
« Reply #8 on: 21 Oct 2008, 08:48 pm »
$15,000

ebag4

« Reply #9 on: 21 Oct 2008, 09:09 pm »
Nice speakers.  Is that a F120A being used for the full range driver?

Thanks,
Ed

JackD201

« Reply #10 on: 22 Oct 2008, 03:19 am »
Nice speakers.  Is that a F120A being used for the full range driver?

Thanks,
Ed

Definitely looks like a Fostex to me :)

trout2

« Reply #11 on: 23 Oct 2008, 07:30 pm »
I'd like to hear these .. However, why sooo expensive? The VR4-SR MKII's seem to much 'more' of a loudspeaker and retail for about $9K..What am I missing?

mfsoa

« Reply #12 on: 23 Oct 2008, 08:45 pm »
I agree the price structure seems a little outta whack, but I would love to hear more about the 3s, esp. the crossover (or lack thereof) for each driver, and what's going on inside the cabinet. (Don't worry, I won't tell  :shh:)

I guess the bases themselves add significantly to the $$$
-Mike

mcullinan

« Reply #13 on: 23 Oct 2008, 08:46 pm »
YEs way overpriced. But VonScweichy is a big time company. They can charge w/e they want.
Mike

ceedee

• Industry Participant
    • Musical Reality
« Reply #14 on: 23 Oct 2008, 09:14 pm »
Dear All,

Last weekend we showed the Unifield's for the first time in Europe, Holland.
Feeded by analog music from Pluto Audio and powered by the famous Kronzilla SXI it was real music.
Sounded nearly like the VR 9 SE. We connected the new VSA bi-wire cables too.

Lots of nice reactions came from the audience.

Best regards,

Cor
www.musicalreality.nl
clic on nieuws

trout2

« Reply #15 on: 24 Oct 2008, 01:52 pm »
If they sound almost like the VR-9SE, then they may be a bargain (if that's possible at 15K) ..

mcullinan

« Reply #16 on: 24 Oct 2008, 01:54 pm »
15K is the new 2K. Everyone know that. Sheesh.
Mike
Im just jealous and wish I could afford those babys!

JackD201

« Reply #17 on: 25 Oct 2008, 05:28 am »
These little guys are built for a specific purpose and that is no apology sonics for small living spaces.  I've seen and heard many two ways and skinny towers that try to accomplish this feat, one hyped 2-way is 10k more expensive than the Uni3s but still can't approach it. While some can be fabulous in various aspects, they are ALL compromised in far more ways in comparison. I mean I have 9s in the next room. While the 9's are definitely more realistic in terms of dynamics and thus a more physically immersive experience the Uni3s have the same "see through" quality as the 9's while also providing serious, if less, punch. It's kind of hypnotic. My problem with the Uni3s is that until now I'm scratching my head wondering how something so seemingly simple in design can do what it does. In another forum I said these guys just might become the 47 Labs Gaincard of the speaker world. Despite the simplicity of design and availability of parts nobody has ever gotten a Gainclone to sound as good as a Gaincard. I may eat my foot for this statement but If I'm proven wrong I'll just bring some ketchup.

On the 4SRs vs the Unifield 3, The SRs just can't do what the Unifields can do from 6 feet away or less. I've found that with SRs or 5s coherence begins at about 8 feet. It's apples and oranges really.  Then again from 10 feet away and brawny amps there's no way the Unifield can do what its big brothers can.

As for the price. I told myself that these little guys cost more than BIG speakers from deservedly famous manufacturers. I remember telling my partner before opening the box that Albert had better have done something special to put a price tag like this on something so simple. I said either he's totally gone nuts or he's actually got the small room problem licked and now has a monopoly on a very significant niche.

It's the latter folks.

I am keeping these.

disco

• Industry Participant
    • Supra HiFi
« Reply #18 on: 25 Oct 2008, 03:49 pm »
Jack,

I agree with everything you said about the Unifield 3's. And when I am asked about their sound the first thing that come out of my mouth is "they sound like little 9's". This is no small feat for a small and simple looking speaker. They just sound damn good!

Scott

trout2

Thanks for the replies, one more Q ..
« Reply #19 on: 26 Oct 2008, 05:36 pm »
When you are saying 'smaller rooms' what is your definition (W-L- Ceiling height) ?? Thanks.