Guilty Pleasures

cjr888

Guilty Pleasures
« on: 16 Nov 2003, 04:19 pm »
I don't know if this topic has been brought up before, but...

Name any guilty pleasures you have in music preference, whether it be a song, an artist, or an album.  This would include music that on average, you might get a chuckle out from AC members or friends and family if they heard you playing it, or simply mentioning that you like it.  This would include any music that you might only play while alone, or if you were in the car, might turn up loud...until you got to a stop light, where you might roll up the windows and turn down the volume a bit.  :-)   This could also include items that are just completely out of character compared to the remainder of your music preferences.

Yes, there will be songs and artists that people will poke fun at that other's will say "Hey!  What a minute, they're good!", but lets ignore that part.

Curious to see any responses, such as NathanM admitting that he doesn't know exactly why, but he can't help but crank Celine Dion, or REM's Shiny Happy People when no one is around.   :wink:

To start, I'm trying to think of true guilty pleasures, but my first thought is a song that I can't help but crank, half seriously, and half tongue-in-cheek -- that being Toto's Africa.  One of those songs that's so bad its good.  Its not just the horrible synthesized drums.  Its not just the fact that its a horrible song.  For me, I have to give 'cheese' credit to anyone silly enough to try and rhyme the word Serangetti in a pop song.

Rob Babcock

• Volunteer
Guilty Pleasures
« Reply #1 on: 16 Nov 2003, 07:22 pm »
Oh, God, I've got a million of 'em.  Especially with regards to 80's hair metal bands.  Who can resist cranking Quiet Riot's "Bang Your Head" or "Cum On Feel The Noize"?  Sure those are really stupid songs, but once you crank it up it just sounds so cool.

I'll admit to some of those same guilty pleasures, too.  I love Toto, although only their older stuff is actually "jock rock" and boinky pop- the last few albums are much smarter, more sophisticated jazz/rock.

One song I still really like (although I'd never play it around humans) is Ronnie Milsap's "She Loves My Car".  Milsap is nominally a country artist, but pretty much pop.  This one was a crossover, a pure pop song.  As a kid I saw the video, just hilarious, of him and some hottie cruising in his convertible.  But since he's blind, I doubt he'd have a lot of use for a car!

Another guilty pleasure for me is Pile Driver.  They're a pure cheezemetal band from the eighties, and they actually started out as kind of an in-joke that turned into a real band.  I sorta pretend that I just listen to em for a laugh, but the actual truth is I just friggin' love their disc "Metal Inquisition".  (lyric sample:  "We're the Metal inquisition, we sentence you to death- by Guillotine! (followed by cheesey sound effects of the blade falling.)).

Hmmm...the more I think about it, most of my collection is a guilty pleasure! :lol:

Tonto Yoder

Guilty Pleasures
« Reply #2 on: 16 Nov 2003, 07:56 pm »
OK, I'll admit it--I like White Tiger.

mca

Guilty Pleasures
« Reply #3 on: 16 Nov 2003, 08:48 pm »
The first concert I ever saw was Loverboy, and I still dig every song from their first two albums. I never fail to get goosebumps when I hear the begining of the song "Take Me To the Top".
I also gotta agree with Rob about Quiet Riot, some songs are just made to be played loud!

Rob Babcock

• Volunteer
Guilty Pleasures
« Reply #4 on: 16 Nov 2003, 09:27 pm »
Tonto, Mike Galusha made me a very nice CD-R copy of my White Tiger LP.  It sounds pretty damned good, considering the original recording isn't that great.

I especially loved "Bad Time Coming", and "Love Hate" is good too.  I actually like the whole LP, except "White Hot Desire," which is too cheesy even for me! :wink:

rosconey

Guilty Pleasures
« Reply #5 on: 16 Nov 2003, 09:32 pm »
what was the one that the guy played a chainsaw-that tune :rock:

Tyson

• Audio - It's all a big fake.
Guilty Pleasures
« Reply #6 on: 16 Nov 2003, 09:35 pm »
A group called Northern State - 3 female, ivy league educated, rappers from New York, w/the heavy New Yawk accents and all.  They got talent, but they just sound so funny.

Gordy

Guilty Pleasures
« Reply #7 on: 17 Nov 2003, 01:25 am »
What's the word?  Everybody knows that the bird is the word...

Surfer Bird and Bird Dance Beat, looped, 93 db's, air geetar, I'm happy.  Pure, unadulterated trash by The Trashmen!

Rob Babcock

• Volunteer
Guilty Pleasures
« Reply #8 on: 17 Nov 2003, 01:35 am »
Rosconey, I think you're thinking of "Lumberjack", by Jackyl.

RRMMM, VRA ROOM, RA RUM RUM RUM ROOM! :lol:

lonewolfny42

• Speakers....What Speakers ?
Guilty Pleasures
« Reply #9 on: 17 Nov 2003, 05:33 am »
Quote from: mca

I also gotta agree with Rob about Quiet Riot, some songs are just made to be played loud!
quiet riot.....Quiet Riot.....QUIET RIOT.......Noooooo ...go with the original and the BEST  ......... SLADE "ALIVE" !!!  :hyper:

mca

Guilty Pleasures
« Reply #10 on: 17 Nov 2003, 06:03 am »
Holy smokes, Slade! Forgot about them, always liked that song "Run Runaway" from Keep you hands off my power supply!

lonewolfny42

Guilty Pleasures
« Reply #11 on: 17 Nov 2003, 06:15 am »
Quote from: mca
Holy smokes, Slade! Forgot about them, always liked that song "Run Runaway" from Keep you hands off my power supply!
   Quiet Riot, though enjoyable(for the 80's) were a  cover band (copy of the original). Like I said -- Slade (glam rock- 70's)...turn it up LOUD !!!  8)

Rob Babcock

• Volunteer
Guilty Pleasures
« Reply #12 on: 17 Nov 2003, 06:32 am »
Only a couple of songs over their 5 albums were covers- of course those were very popular ones!  Their "originals" were okay, too!

Slade had some other really good ones.  "Keep Your Hands Off My Power Supply" was maybe the most popular, but "You Boyz Make Big Noize" was possibly even better.  

Surely, now, we're not implying 80's metal is a "guilty pleasure", are we? :nono:  :lol:

lonewolfny42

Guilty Pleasures
« Reply #13 on: 17 Nov 2003, 06:43 am »
Quote from: Rob Babcock

Surely, now, we're not implying 80's metal is a "guilty pleasure", are we? :nono:  :lol:
No.... a guilty pleasure would be driving down the road listening to " My Sharona" by the Knack  :lol: --- but not my guilty pleasure !  8)

BlackCat

Guilty Pleasures
« Reply #14 on: 24 Nov 2003, 09:00 pm »
Ok lonewolf....you got me...guilty pleasure #12  The Knack (remastered) "Good Girls Don't".

guilty pleasure #1....my lady kneeling on all fours in a corset singing "Good Girls Don't"

guilty pleasure #13 - trying to picture Nathan listening to "Shiny Happy People"

Hantra

Guilty Pleasures
« Reply #15 on: 24 Nov 2003, 09:10 pm »
Well, I listen to it all the time, but the Kill Bill soundtrack is one that you HAVE to turn down at the light.  ;-)  As good as it is, people should not hear you listening to that.  They may not have seen the movie, and might think you're a wee bit off the deep end . . .    :lol:

Cens

Guilty Pleasures
« Reply #16 on: 24 Nov 2003, 09:11 pm »
Don't know if it is appropriate to post links to other sites, but here is my list from the same topic on Audio Annex: http://www.audioannex.com/showthreaded.php?Cat=&Board=3&Number=24273&page=3&view=collapsed&sb=5&o=0

One I forgot to add there -- the Elmer Fudd version of "I'm on Fire."

Regards,

Chris

Carlman

Guilty Pleasures
« Reply #17 on: 25 Nov 2003, 01:28 am »
'Those Darn Accordians' is a group you must hear.  I'm not really guilty about it, though... everyone knows I'm weird so, it kind of ruins the fun.. ;)

PS... let's not forget Tiny Tim...

nathanm

Guilty Pleasures
« Reply #18 on: 25 Nov 2003, 04:31 am »
"Africa" by Toto you say?  I can't tell you how many quarters I dropped in jukeboxes as a kid to listen to that tune!  I loved it!  Heh!  I never considered it a guilty pleasure though. I have a Toto record but it was pretty bland so it doesn't get pulled out much.

I like REM quite a bit actually, but not necessarily the tune "Shiny Happy People".  REM reminds me of my first girlfriend too, so there's the nostalgia factor there.  I actually just picked up a few of their albums recently.

Oh man, Jackal was such an AC\DC carbon copy it was sad! Heh!  I believe I might have the Lumberjack video on some old Headbanger's ball tape.  

After giving it some thought the only guilty pleasures I really have would be a few choice rap tunes.  I guess I'd feel like a silly white dude who has no business listening to such stuff if anyone were to catch me playing that.  But dammit, Geto Boys' "Die Motherfuckers" from the Office Space soundtrack just kicks all kinds of ass!  But I am too afraid to play it on the main system, though.  I also have "Raising Hell" by RunDMC on vinyl.

Those Darn Accordians...that reminds me of that yodeler guy, can't remember his name.  He's a shill for some real estate firm but the guy can jam on that damn accordian. Ahh, Kerry Christiansen that's it.  Saw this guy play Summerfest once and he was pretty good.  Was I the only guy in the crowd thinking how "metal" that beat was that his drummer chick was playing?  Probably. :lol:

mca

Guilty Pleasures
« Reply #19 on: 25 Nov 2003, 05:54 am »
OK, I got another one. Using the Sanford and Son Theme (The Streetbeater) by Quincy Jones to test out audio gear at my local hoidy toidy audio shop  :lol:
Seriously though, it's a great song and it's recorded very well, but the look on the sales guys faces  :o