PORTED NEO-2X IMPRESSIONS

Stereodude

Re: PORTED NEO-2X IMPRESSIONS
« Reply #20 on: 10 Feb 2009, 08:04 pm »
They should play just as low the X-SLS does. You'll need to put a good 100 hours or more on the woofer for it to fully loosen up though.

If it continues to be a little boomy in your room then you might consider tuning them a little lower by dropping in a longer port.

Once I get the dual 12" servo subwoofer built the low frequency reproduction will be handled there, so I don't think I'll be spending any effort to lengthen the port.  :wink:

Stereodude

« Reply #21 on: 10 Feb 2009, 08:16 pm »
An easier way to do this for me: Cut the larger diameter through a separate piece of material, center it in the baffle, then use it as a template with a flush trim/template bit or a collar and you're done!

Perhaps, but how do you make sure the two different templates are exactly concentric?

Danny Richie

« Reply #22 on: 10 Feb 2009, 08:39 pm »
Once I get the dual 12" servo subwoofer built the low frequency reproduction will be handled there, so I don't think I'll be spending any effort to lengthen the port.

Lengthening the port lowers the tuning but that is not the point. If you have a boominess at or near the port tuning then lengthening it will give you less output in the area where you had the boominess. Lengthening the ports causes it to lose output in the area where it used to be tuned to.

Stereodude

« Reply #23 on: 10 Feb 2009, 11:04 pm »
Lengthening the port lowers the tuning but that is not the point. If you have a boominess at or near the port tuning then lengthening it will give you less output in the area where you had the boominess. Lengthening the ports causes it to lose output in the area where it used to be tuned to.

I understand that.  My point was that once I get the sub built I will run them as small.  That will allow me to reduce the bass from them and handle low frequency reproduction via the sub (which I can then EQ).  If I was going to continue to run them large I would consider that option.

I am also going to look into some room treatments for my Office / Library.

Stereodude

« Reply #24 on: 11 Feb 2009, 11:32 pm »
I just love these things.  :thumb:  I've been cranking some tunes from my test discs tonight.  They just sing. :drool:

I ran the MCACC in my Pioneer Elite yesterday and them made some tweaks to its settings and now the boominess of my room is pretty much under control.  The standing wave correction took care of most it plus a little EQ cut at 63Hz.  Not the ideal solution, but it works for now.

Stereodude

« Reply #25 on: 12 Feb 2009, 01:41 am »
Here are a few pictures I took tonight...

BradJudy

« Reply #26 on: 12 Feb 2009, 01:58 am »
Very nice Seth.  I like the idea of using the X-SLS cabinets for the Neo2X.

m-fine

« Reply #27 on: 12 Feb 2009, 03:17 am »
NICE work Seth!  I hope you think of me every time you listen to them :D 

I am itchin to do my pair, just been HAMMERED at work for the last 5-6 months and have not had the time.  I will be ordering up soon and taking a few days vacation to get this done.   

Stereodude

« Reply #28 on: 12 Feb 2009, 03:49 am »
NICE work Seth!  I hope you think of me every time you listen to them :D 

Of course...  Someone had to prove out the theory that X-SLS's could be turned into Neo-2X's. :lol:

I am itchin to do my pair, just been HAMMERED at work for the last 5-6 months and have not had the time.  I will be ordering up soon and taking a few days vacation to get this done.   

My Dad and I modified the cabinets in a single Friday (I took a day off of work).  About half the time was spent either figuring out how to rig up a a jig to hold the pin for the circle jig or getting tools out and ready to use.  :|  I got the crossovers wired up in a single Thursday evening and into the boxes that Friday night.  I would expect you to be able to start and finish them in two days or less.  :icon_twisted:

chip

« Reply #29 on: 12 Feb 2009, 12:31 pm »
Now that is interesting - I was originally thinking you put them in the smaller xls box.

Why is the XLS upside down in the one pic?

I was drooling over this http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=64508.0

Nice job seth. I am probably going with the sealed Bookshelf Neo2x ...enjoy your new speaker.

HT cOz

« Reply #30 on: 12 Feb 2009, 02:42 pm »
MLS does make some good looking cabinets.  Rosewood Rocks!

laserman

• Ambiguous-Optimist
« Reply #31 on: 12 Feb 2009, 08:54 pm »
Nice work Seth.   :thumb:

Lou

Stereodude

« Reply #32 on: 12 Feb 2009, 10:12 pm »
Why is the XLS upside down in the one pic?

Mostly to keep the tweeters closer to ear level when comparing the two.

Stereodude

« Reply #33 on: 12 Feb 2009, 10:14 pm »
MLS does make some good looking cabinets.  Rosewood Rocks!

:nono: It's really Palisander Natural.  :P

EARGASM

• No thanks.
« Reply #34 on: 13 Feb 2009, 01:11 pm »
Removed by member.
« Last Edit: 25 Sep 2009, 04:06 pm by EARGASM »

grubyhalo

« Reply #35 on: 13 Feb 2009, 05:53 pm »
Looks fantastic, Seth. The grain on those are awesome!  :thumb:

Stereodude

« Reply #36 on: 13 Feb 2009, 07:04 pm »
I cut the template the same width as the front baffle, then again, there's always a ruler...  :D

With a rounded front baffle in this case that would be hard to line up, though not impossible.  I guess it's an option.

laserman

• Ambiguous-Optimist
« Reply #37 on: 13 Feb 2009, 07:39 pm »
Hey Seth,

Nah, it wouldn't be that hard to line up expecially if you used the speaker grill holes to line it up with using pin/dowels and holes drilled through the template and large clamps to hold it in place.

How did the XO go into this cabinet?

Did you upgrade on any of the parts in the XO?

How long did it take you to build the XO?

Stereodude

« Reply #38 on: 13 Feb 2009, 08:41 pm »
Nah, it wouldn't be that hard to line up expecially if you used the speaker grill holes to line it up with using pin/dowels and holes drilled through the template and large clamps to hold it in place.

That of course assumes the speaker grill holes are accurately placed from cabinet to cabinet.  I'm not sure I would bet the farm on that one.

How did the XO go into this cabinet?

Not too bad.  I had to split the crossover into two pieces.  One part for the woofer and one part the tweeter so I could get the parts to sit in between the internal braces in the cabinet.  When I tried putting them on a single board it was too large to fit where the original crossover was (behind the woofer on the back wall)

Did you upgrade on any of the parts in the XO?

No, I built the base level crossover.

How long did it take you to build the XO?

I built them in a single evening after work.  It probably took about 5 hours.

wje

« Reply #39 on: 14 Feb 2009, 10:38 am »
No, I built the base level crossover.
The Neo-2X crossover?  Were your X-SLS the classic series or the Encore series before you started this re-work?  Is that the XBL^ 6.5" woofer from the Neo kit?

Hmm ... I wonder if Danny would work up an MTM neo package for us X-MTM owners?   :thumb: