PORTED NEO-2X IMPRESSIONS

HAL

• Industry Contributor
Re: PORTED NEO-2X IMPRESSIONS
« Reply #40 on: 14 Feb 2009, 01:40 pm »
Danny posted a N3 speaker design which is a D'Appolito array.  Not sure if it will fit the X-MTM cabinet.

EDIT:  The N3 uses the smaller M-130 woofers, so will not fit the X-MTM cutouts.

Stereodude

« Reply #41 on: 14 Feb 2009, 02:36 pm »
The Neo-2X crossover?  Were your X-SLS the classic series or the Encore series before you started this re-work?  Is that the XBL^ 6.5" woofer from the Neo kit?

Yes, that is the Neo-2X crossover.  My X-SLS were b-stock Classics I bought 3rd hand (I think).  Yes, that is the XBL^2 6.5" woofer from the Neo kit.  The speaker is a complete Neo-2X using all the Neo-2X parts (except the GR Research binding posts).  Basically, only the X-SLS box was reused.

Hmm ... I wonder if Danny would work up an MTM neo package for us X-MTM owners?   :thumb:

You won't know if you don't ask. :)

mfeust

« Reply #42 on: 14 Feb 2009, 11:14 pm »
Hi Seth. I just picked up a pair of the X-SLS Classics in cherry rosa and I will be be doing the NEO 2X upgrade as you did. So you used the binding posts that came with the X-SLS? Did you take any pictures of your crossover boards? If I really like the X-SLS NEO 2X I will be replacing my Strata Minis. Have you heard the Minis? If so how would you compare the NEO's to Minis?

Stereodude

« Reply #43 on: 14 Feb 2009, 11:56 pm »
Hi Seth. I just picked up a pair of the X-SLS Classics in cherry rosa and I will be be doing the NEO 2X upgrade as you did. So you used the binding posts that came with the X-SLS?

Yes, I just left them alone.  I didn't see any reason to mess with the binding posts.

Did you take any pictures of your crossover boards?

No, I didn't.  Maybe I can open up one of the speakers later and take a few pictures.  There isn't much to see though.

If I really like the X-SLS NEO 2X I will be replacing my Strata Minis. Have you heard the Minis? If so how would you compare the NEO's to Minis?

I've heard the Minis a few times, though not in several years.  On that basis I don't think I can give you a comparison worth anything.

mfeust

« Reply #44 on: 15 Feb 2009, 12:01 am »
Thanks for the quick response Seth. In stead of taking the speaker apart to take pictures maybe you can just describe the sizes of the two broads that you assembled so that they would fit in the space of the enclosure. TIA

Stereodude

« Reply #45 on: 15 Feb 2009, 12:20 am »
Thanks for the quick response Seth. In stead of taking the speaker apart to take pictures maybe you can just describe the sizes of the two broads that you assembled so that they would fit in the space of the enclosure. TIA

Too late.  :lol:

ps:  Don't tell my wife about the two broads in my speakers or I could get in a lot of trouble.

wje

« Reply #46 on: 15 Feb 2009, 12:57 am »
Thanks for the pix.  I guess Lynx resistors and Erse capacitors are now the latest to use?  The Erse caps are certainly a bit less $$ than the Sonicaps typically cost.

I performed the Ninja/Encore upgrade to my MTMs a few weeks back.  On one of the cabinets, the cross-bracing was too close together for me to get the new crossover board into place, so I had to mount it on one of the cross-braces - as opposed to the side wall.  It looks like splitting it as you've done on the X-SLS cabinet gets around any "tight" space issues.

Very nice.  Thanks for sharing.

Stereodude

« Reply #47 on: 15 Feb 2009, 01:14 am »
Thanks for the pix.  I guess Lynx resistors and Erse capacitors are now the latest to use?  The Erse caps are certainly a bit less $$ than the Sonicaps typically cost.

I'm not sure about that.  I bought the base level kit.  To get it with Sonicaps and Mills Resistors it was $110 extra and FWIW, I decided to save the cash.  :|

m-fine

« Reply #48 on: 15 Feb 2009, 02:10 am »
If I really like the X-SLS NEO 2X I will be replacing my Strata Minis. Have you heard the Minis? If so how would you compare the NEO's to Minis?

I think EMAC posted a comparison between the NEO, the ninja ref-1's with ERT's and the mini's ( I think ninja'd as well).  Search on the AV123 forum.

mfeust

« Reply #49 on: 15 Feb 2009, 02:54 am »

I think EMAC posted a comparison between the NEO, the ninja ref-1's with ERT's and the mini's ( I think ninja'd as well).  Search on the AV123 forum.

Thanks Matt I will check with Ed.

mfeust

« Reply #50 on: 15 Feb 2009, 02:57 am »

Too late.  :lol:

ps:  Don't tell my wife about the two broads in my speakers or I could get in a lot of trouble.

Thanks for the picture Seth. Oh and don't worry I won't let your wife know about the two boards.

fcraven

• Don't mess with this baritone
« Reply #51 on: 15 Feb 2009, 08:06 pm »
here's the pick of my crossover pre-solder

Man, I wish I had crossover photos before I began.

Stereodude

« Reply #52 on: 16 Feb 2009, 12:21 am »
 :o Ooooh, you went for the upgraded parts.

laserman

• Ambiguous-Optimist
« Reply #53 on: 16 Feb 2009, 12:44 am »
Here is my Neo 2x XO

Stereodude

« Reply #54 on: 16 Feb 2009, 02:03 am »
Showoff...  :)