A'gon transaction fee

rpf

A'gon transaction fee
« on: 27 Sep 2008, 09:35 pm »
A'gon. has now lowered their listing fee to $4. However, if the item sells, they are charging a transaction fee of 1.5%.

I don't like it. They are not doing any more work or giving any more value and, while insignificant on small items, it could get costly on expensive ones. It also strikes me as a hassle. I would rather they just increased their flat fee or instituted a flat fee scaled according to price if they want more revenue.

On the upside, perhaps more people will migrate here to the Forums and the "For
Sale" listings; which I have been using prior to posting on A'gon. for some time now.

Your thoughts?

stlblue

Re: A'gon transaction fee
« Reply #1 on: 27 Sep 2008, 10:08 pm »
Hopefully this is the straw that breaks the camel's back and they've priced themselves out of the market.

timind

• permanent vacation
« Reply #2 on: 27 Sep 2008, 11:24 pm »
I was going to list an item on Agon today when I noticed the new fee. I started a similar thread there and was surprised to see it actually make it past the moderator.
Before posting my item on Agon I thought I'd give it a try here. The problem is, I've yet to have success with a sale here.

It does raise questions as to how Agon knows what price was paid unless the seller or buyer tells them.

bluemike

« Reply #3 on: 27 Sep 2008, 11:28 pm »
Interesting to see how this wil be enforced .. greedy bastards :nono:

pbrstreetgang

« Reply #4 on: 27 Sep 2008, 11:30 pm »
The prices in the bluebook are inflated. If you are the seller and have it listed for a specific price and update the listing to "sold" then the price you listed in the ad is registered as the selling price regardless if a lower offer was taken.

bluemike

« Reply #5 on: 27 Sep 2008, 11:32 pm »
how wil they know something has sold unless the seller updates the ad

pbrstreetgang

« Reply #6 on: 27 Sep 2008, 11:36 pm »
Right, no update it falls off after 60 days and doest record. At least from what Ive seen

wje

« Reply #7 on: 27 Sep 2008, 11:49 pm »
Audiogon can essentially do what they want.  It's their site.  But, with that being said, they might really shoot themselves in the foot for this move.  I've had great success in selling the few items I've sold there.  However, I do find it frustrating that someone can sell a piece of gear for $5K, but not post any pictures of it on the site.  :duh:

jazzcourier

« Reply #8 on: 28 Sep 2008, 12:57 am »
You can look for forward to seeing sellers asking the buyers to absorb the "transaction fee" as well as the PayPal charges as a part of the sale price.
Soon to follow will be a "lowball" fee followed shortly by a "personality fee" for those irritating buyers that insist on knowing why you want to sell the item.Those are the folks that need to get a life,or a wife.

cryoparts

Re: A'gon transaction fee--OPTIONS
« Reply #9 on: 28 Sep 2008, 01:31 am »
FYI--There are two good alternatives to AudiogoN out there:

www.hifihock.com
www.audioxsell.com

I've used both of the above and both Dragan (Hifihock) and Tom (AudioXsell) are good guys and easy to work with.

I, personally, have never had a problem on the 'Gon and like the site. However, it is nice to have options.

Peace,

Lee

Bemopti123

« Reply #10 on: 28 Sep 2008, 02:20 am »
That is flat out highway robbery.  Gosh, I used to purchase and sell stuff in Gon, but looking at it, I will think three times before I hand in my hard earned cash to those people.  The worst part of it all is that sometimes Gon protects certain sellers and purchasers, as long as they have a "reputation" and not necessarily a good one. 

The biggest problem I find with small classifieds in sites like AC and others is accountability of people who want to sell the gear.  For example, I feel that some members have not been posting here long or at all and the first couple of things they do is to post ads.  Although not everyone one of these members might be acting with shadowy intent, it is hard to see whether the items or themselves are what the advertisement makes it appear. 

It would be great if AC could have a feedback system a la HeadFi.  I wonder how hard it would be to make it transparent and reliable. 

dragan13

« Reply #11 on: 28 Sep 2008, 05:18 am »
Thank you Lee for your kind words and the mention of my site. HiFi Hock has been up and running for about 4 months now and it's slowly gaining traction. It's a full-featured high-end audio classified and auction site with attached forum that's easy on your pocket and with a very different attitude then AudigoN. If you guys happen to visit, please don't hesitate to email if you have any questions.

All the best,
Dragan

marklivia

« Reply #12 on: 28 Sep 2008, 11:48 am »
Really stupid and REALLY greedy. We lose. Sellers will add $ to their selling price to offset the fees. I'm out of there. It was a great place to sell a lot of gear but enough is enough. I've been successful selling gear here, but only lower priced stuff. Circle members tend to be more frugal.
Time to find a new place. I'll check out the site's listed above.

whell

« Reply #13 on: 28 Sep 2008, 11:56 am »
One can't reasonably expect that Audiogon listing fees could stay at $6 forever.   Even their costs are going up, one must assume.

Is 1.5% too expensive?  A'gon is still the leading site on the net - traffic wise - dedicated to audio for folks to buy and sell high end audio.  They're still less expensive than Ebay at those prices.  We'll see if the audio market will support them going forward.  I suspect they'll still be around for quite a while.

ctviggen

« Reply #14 on: 28 Sep 2008, 12:11 pm »
I think 1.5 % is too expensive.  I'll try other locations first and use that as a last resort.

TheChairGuy

« Reply #15 on: 28 Sep 2008, 12:50 pm »
The prices, new or old, are not penurious.  It's the complete lack of any software updates or capabilities over the years, and their heavy handedness (no .com links can be made in ads...wtf?) that gives me pause.

8 of the last 10 or so ads I've placed here on AudioCircle have been sold here.   You gotta' take time and give the whole story....why you are selling it, your impressions of it and an honest appraisal of its scuffs over the years.  Pictures are a MUST....several of them are best (why not, it's free here).  Finally, u might have to find whitty ways to bump it forward a few times to get folks to see it. 

At any one time there is normally 200+ folks online....but due to the plethora of subjects covered from a large membership size, your ad winds down from the first page of results pretty quickly - so you need to bump it forward a bit  :wink:

It helps to have had transactions before, much like ebay and Audiogon, as occasionally some good samaritan you traded with previously with give you some kudo's and backup your worthiness.  Above all, answer every PM quickly and politely and ship it fast once paid and offer tracking numbers immediately after shipping.  Once you have somebody else's money, the item is THEIRS - get it to them fast.

I can't solder, marvel at those funky oscilloscopes and scratch my head at how someone makes an electrical circuit  :scratch:....but, I know how to market and sell.  And, if you follow some/all of the advice above you will be selling your wares with a high success rate here on AC (for free).

Nice to see some updated functionality built into HiFiHock's site....it's a long road to success for them, but one I wish them/him good fortune with.

John

wje

« Reply #16 on: 28 Sep 2008, 12:58 pm »
The worst part of it all is that sometimes Gon protects certain sellers and purchasers, as long as they have a "reputation" and not necessarily a good one. 
Cough ... cough ... American Theater ... cough ... cough ...

kbuzz3

« Reply #17 on: 28 Sep 2008, 01:11 pm »
I disagree. The transaction fee is ridiculous. A'gon has a right to attempt what ever they want in this allegedly capitalistic society. However, lets see if the market will bear it. Right now I think not and i will do my best to avoid them. It smacks of a "land grab" and in consumer practice this is an odd time increase fees.  Maybe the site is run or funded by lehman folks.....

time will tell. I say, support audio circle and vote with your pocket book

macrojack

• Restricted
« Reply #18 on: 28 Sep 2008, 01:52 pm »
Audiogon is behaving like a monopoly. We need to follow Chair Guy's marketing suggestions and show them that they do not hold a monopoly. There are viable alternatives.

Audiogon may be the easiest way to get your stuff sold but it isn't the only way. It's time for a boycott.

I sold my Zu Definition Speakers through an AC ad to a guy in Norway for over $6000. It can certainly be done.

Bemopti123

« Reply #19 on: 28 Sep 2008, 01:55 pm »
Gon got me started in the addiction of Audio quite fast in the late 90s.  I saw some great discussion and great people there, but as of late, they have become extremely heavy handed and obviously slanted to special interests, without bothering to be impartial.  Yup, they might have become the haven of those traders from all failed WS banks.  Who knows?  They will still get plenty of sellers and purchasers, but I am staying away if at all possible....but they do have some yummy stuff once in a while.  Gon pages=the devil calling my lost Audio soul  :icon_twisted: