BMW M3

TheChairGuy

Re: BMW M3
« Reply #20 on: 17 Sep 2008, 06:14 pm »
A BMW w/ a slush pump? Jeezus

Blanket condemnations are bound to be faulty, Lar.....to try one is to love one (at least from Mini/BMW and Audi/VW).

A die-hard manual guy here - 5'9"/160 lbs in fighting trim - so I haven't gotten fat and or lazy yet, either.  Truly - they are good by any standard  :thumb:

John

TomS

« Reply #21 on: 17 Sep 2008, 06:23 pm »
  It's also a pain as I get so many cell calls now on the road  :(

I had the same problem with my 540-6 manual but solved it the other way by getting bluetooth instead of getting rid of the stick  :thumb:  

I tried the SMG M3, a newer autobox in the '08 335i, and a VW R32 DSG (very nice, but too pricey!), but overall clutchless just wasn't my cup of tea.  I suspect the latest BMW M double clutch automated manual (not SMG) will be worth another look, though my left foot gets really bored resting on the dead pedal.

Imperial

• Love keeps us in the air, when we ought to fall.
« Reply #22 on: 17 Sep 2008, 06:25 pm »
OK so I haven't tested SMG  :oops:... but I can't imagine it being the way to go!!!

Imperial

Imperial,
Seriously, you need to test it/them before pronouncing manuals as better these days.

Uhm, well I used to drive say Mercedes -79 300D "slushbox" and 2001 220CDI "slushbox" , and Toyota with a "slushbox" and Mitsubishi
with a "slushbox" and a Merc with a "SMG" if you will but I find stick shift more fun!!!

Maybe it's the traffic here up north that is more benign (almost NEVER queue!!!)

I've also driven Nissans and Dodge Aspens and Infinity's and ... all with Slushbox, but I really got feed up with it!!
Now I'm all manual!!  :thumb:

Imperial

Crimson

« Reply #23 on: 17 Sep 2008, 06:25 pm »
Er...ah....SMG/SMG2 is not a tiptronic, semi-auto, or auto. It is, indeed, manual (in S-modes). As to my preference? Depends on my mood.  For some reason, my wife prefers the stick. :green:

lcrim

« Reply #24 on: 17 Sep 2008, 06:29 pm »
I thought I was going soft when I fell in love w/ my heated seats but I've been a clutch guy for so long that rental cars drive me nuts.  My car came w/ factory maintenance and my dealer has a fleet of 3 series loaners when you bring it in for service.  I came pretty close to screwing a few of them because they all have auto trans.  I did not ever get used to them.
Jersey has a cell phone law which seems to be more honored in the breech than the observance anyway I got a bluetooth headphone and at least they can't add that to a ticket.  BMW's do seem to get more attention from the police than any other brand I've driven.  

Imperial

« Reply #25 on: 17 Sep 2008, 06:34 pm »
I'll say. Driving a Merc will get you the "drive on by please" wave, every time...  :thumb:

Ok. A little info on BMW driving in Norway:
There are some basic rules...

If you drive a BMW and pass another BMW , salute! It a salute that is done by the shift hand in the form of a clenched fist almost like the
"black power" salute but done close to the jaw of the driver.

Also, in Norway we have a "rule of conduct" for other drivers... let that Bimmer pass ya! That's the rule!

Enjoy!

Imperial

BobM

« Reply #26 on: 17 Sep 2008, 07:04 pm »
I bought a new car last year and test drove the 3 series BMW's (325 and 335), the Lexus 350 and the Infiniti G35X. I bought the G35X. Faster than the BMW, better handling and better esthetics to my eyes (inside and out). Plus it was about $5k cheaper.

I think Infiniti finally beat out BMW for that price point in the marketplace.

Enjoy,
Bob

ricmon

« Reply #27 on: 17 Sep 2008, 07:12 pm »
When driving BMW, one must have manual shift.
SMG would rob some of the driving pleasure!

I mean, it's the balance, the brakes, the rear wheel drive and the gearshift that makes for a BMW!
Even my merc diesel has a manual!!! I drive it like I stole it...

Maybe I'm a bit old fashioned - a given - I only like stick shift.
But, once you learn to shift , with manual, and especially downshift with powerbreaking and heal/toe usage..
It's just fun! At least my brothers BMW was immensely fun to do this with and I really believe that SMG ain't the way
to go with a M3! Ok It's easy - but then ... what's the point!
Ok so I haven't tested SMG  :oops:... but I can't imagine it being the way to go!!!

Imperial

So you have never driven a SMG (See Me Go) tranny equipped M3.  I'm 50 and every car I've owned has been a manual (never again only SMG or DSG which shifts a tad faster that SMG).  Also do you watch F1 racing?  The in car cam is a hoot.  You can see the drivers performing all the up and down shifts using their SMG equipped cars.  As far as driving pleasure I can still hill and toe but the real thrill comes with 2 footed driving.  Using this technique you can push the car to some scary limits and don't have to straddel you foot across 2 pedals.  There's more.  When I want to execute a pass.  It's nothing like hitting the down shift paddle (let's say from 5th to 3rd) two very quick time with the accelerator smashed to the floor and See Me Go :drool: :drool: :drool: :thumb: :icon_twisted:   Serious driving pleasure.

Imperial

« Reply #28 on: 17 Sep 2008, 07:45 pm »
Ok.
Me dad is all "slushy these days" ... err... but he showed me how to drive stick back when it was an honor to do it right.
I "dread" the day when I succumb to the "slush". I know, the day will come, but me 35 years on this earth still gives me resistance!

Peace! And See me go - mad eventually and try SMG. But not today ..  :duel:

Imperil

Philistine

« Reply #29 on: 17 Sep 2008, 09:47 pm »
Test drove the new M3 for a day last week - WOW :drool: :drool: :drool: :drool: :drool: :drool:
A perfectly balanced car that's incredible fun to drive.

Philistine,

Did you try the 135i coupe, as well?  I love the tighter looks better than the larger 3 series and with 300hp, 200 lbs less bulk and a price tag $15K less that seems like the performance sweet spot in BMW's line now.  I've read that it is somehow the same roominess inside, too.

If they ever bring the 5 door hatchback over I'll possibly be a buyer.  I think BMW concerned it will cannibalize Mini sales here with it, however (a thought they should banish in light of $4.00 gasoline now in US)

We have the 2004 325ci (convertible) 5 speed auto and, frankly, I find it a bit pig-like carrying around 3700 lbs.  Also, I'm a whopping 5'9" and feel a bit claustrophobic in it, too (unlike the Mini somehow....)

Like CTViggen, I have a SAAB 9-3 (tricked out handling and some power tweeks).  Bob - if you haven't gotten the Viggen Rescue Pack for your ride, you haven't nearly tapped it's potential or grip capabilities yet  :)

John

I moved from Germany 7 years ago and was going to buy a big block supercharged American car - after a few test drives I smartened up and went to the local Audi/BMW/Porsche dealer.  The salesman had so much fun on the test drive when I accelerated were most local drivers brake  :icon_twisted: Consequently we've been friends since and he throws me keys to toys when I pass by :thumb:  The 135i looks a great deal, they had one on the forecourt but passed it by - I'll give it a whirl next time.  I would suspect that it's seat of the pants stuff, whereas the M3 is so well put together its almost idiot proof and makes you look a better driver than you really are.     

thunderbrick

• Volunteer
  • I'm just not right!
« Reply #30 on: 19 Sep 2008, 02:57 am »
Could never afford (want or need) an M-series, but my family has been through at least four 3-series cars and three 5'ers.  Some have been thrashed on the track, some are just daily drivers.  ALL have been remarkably dependable and relatively low maintenance, including a never-say-die '91 525 with well over 250K miles and still going strong.  I currently have an '03 525i that gets an honest 30mpg highway, and I ain't talking at 60mph.
25 years ago a friend took me out as a passenger on the actual autobahn and scared the hell out of me in a 5 series.  He told me the car WANTS to go well over 100;  after I cleaned my shorts out I took the wheel.  He was, and continues to be, right on the mark.  I have had several Volvos and Saabs (talk about repair nightmares!) during the intervening years, and none of them can hold a candle to the fun of the UDM.

Imperial

« Reply #31 on: 19 Sep 2008, 10:48 am »
Ohhh... look at this picture I found on the net yesterday:

It's a 3 series.

You'd think this photo was taken from a car add or something, but it wasn't.
It's just a picture from a sales add online. The other 10 shot's of the car was much worse.
But this one angle was just awesome!! Look at the lights.. one of them is "blowing a smoke ring" ... eh? It's hot!  :drool:
In one picture you get the essence of BMW...

What is a BMW? Look at the photo...  8)

Imperial

Crimson

« Reply #32 on: 19 Sep 2008, 01:24 pm »
Here's a pic I took at an oddball angle  (e46 M3):

It kind of perverts the lines of the car.

Bob in St. Louis

• Volunteer
  • "Introverted Basement Dwelling Troll"
« Reply #33 on: 19 Sep 2008, 03:21 pm »
I have had several Volvos and Saabs (talk about repair nightmares!)
:rotflmao: I work at a Saab/Volvo dealership.  :lol:
You're spot on my friend.

Bob

TONEPUB

« Reply #34 on: 19 Sep 2008, 03:47 pm »
Haven't had an M yet, still driving my E30's!  (an 87 325i and an 85 320i that came
from a friend in Austria)

Looked at the 1 and really liked it, but holding out for a nice used M Roadster
next summer.

After owning everything else (Porsche, MB, Audi, etc) I just like the feature
set the best.  I had great luck with all the others, so no complaints, but
the BMW just was the best combination of performance and a trunk.

Also like the fact that a BMW is a fairly low key car rather than a 911 with a
big whale tail.  My best friend likes the attention, so for him the Porsche is
the way to go!

Philistine

« Reply #35 on: 19 Sep 2008, 03:55 pm »
Could never afford (want or need) an M-series, but my family has been through at least four 3-series cars and three 5'ers.  Some have been thrashed on the track, some are just daily drivers.  ALL have been remarkably dependable and relatively low maintenance, including a never-say-die '91 525 with well over 250K miles and still going strong.  I currently have an '03 525i that gets an honest 30mpg highway, and I ain't talking at 60mph.
25 years ago a friend took me out as a passenger on the actual autobahn and scared the hell out of me in a 5 series.  He told me the car WANTS to go well over 100;  after I cleaned my shorts out I took the wheel.  He was, and continues to be, right on the mark.  I have had several Volvos and Saabs (talk about repair nightmares!) during the intervening years, and none of them can hold a candle to the fun of the UDM.

I lived in Germany for 8 years, and one of the fun parts was taking US first timers on the autobahn :icon_twisted:
You have to remember that obtaining a driving license in Germany involves school and extensive on the road instructions, including autobahn driving.  Also it is illegal to pass on the inside, and illegal to stay out in the left lane unless you are passing another vehicle.  All this means that drivers are better prepared and used to high speeds.  It's also true about the 100mph - it isn't until you get to about 90mph that a BMW starts to sit firmly on the road and the engine starts to sing.  I discovered the opposite when I rented a Buick the first time in the US on a business trip :duh:  In the beginning 100mph seems fast but then you nudge up to 110/120/140mph, after 125mph things happen very quickly.

viggen

« Reply #36 on: 19 Sep 2008, 05:48 pm »
Are any of you familiar with the CDV (Cluth Delay Valve)?

Apparently all later models stick shift BMWs have it except for the M5.

It's supposed to protect your transmission or something by delaying the clutch release by like half a second. 

When trying to shift quickly, that half a second feels like an eternity.  I wonder if any of you guys have similar experience.  One audiophile friend had his CDV removed and think it is a remarkable improvement.  The mechanics I usually go to are not familiar with CDV and don't seem to want to touch it.

Bob in St. Louis

• Volunteer
  • "Introverted Basement Dwelling Troll"
« Reply #37 on: 19 Sep 2008, 06:18 pm »
I've not heard of this devise, so I did a little quicky research. I'm not shilling this company, but for $35 you can buy a modded CDV:
http://www.my330i.com/mod27.php

Cool!

Bob

Crimson

« Reply #38 on: 19 Sep 2008, 06:31 pm »
Are any of you familiar with the CDV (Cluth Delay Valve)?

Apparently all later models stick shift BMWs have it except for the M5.

It's supposed to protect your transmission or something by delaying the clutch release by like half a second. 

When trying to shift quickly, that half a second feels like an eternity.  I wonder if any of you guys have similar experience.  One audiophile friend had his CDV removed and think it is a remarkable improvement.  The mechanics I usually go to are not familiar with CDV and don't seem to want to touch it.

Yes, I removed mine. Shifts are quicker and smoother.

viggen

« Reply #39 on: 19 Sep 2008, 06:36 pm »
I want to remove mine or get it replaced with a modified CDV. 

The local indie guy got mad at me for suggesting to remove it although he didn't know what it is.  He also got mad at me for asking him about short shift kits.  He was ranting about it will make it easier to go into the wrong gear.   :duh:

It's too bad I am not handy enough to install the CDV myself.