BMW M3

viggen

Re: BMW M3
« Reply #80 on: 13 Jan 2009, 10:28 pm »
Lovely cars, like my old 318Ti, but with POWER.

Almost bought this car many years ago.  From memory, I really like the way this car drives.  The stick is very good too.  But, I test drove a 325is with sports package immediately after.  The 325is is just so much more powerful and precise.  In fact, none of the newer BMWs I've driven have as much precision.  The Z4 I am driving now comes close but the gear box is sadly behind even the 318ti.

Paul_Bui

• Rode NTK and S-1 microphones
« Reply #81 on: 13 Jan 2009, 11:37 pm »
Is there any compromise in leg room 1 series vs 3 series? 

Yes, the leg room in the rear seats of 1 series (coupe standard) is limited vs. that of a 3 series sedan.  Some even say a 1 series BMW essentially is a 2 seater, but to me the rear seats will not be comfortable enough for rear riders in a long trip.

Crimson

« Reply #82 on: 13 Jan 2009, 11:48 pm »
Is there any compromise in leg room 1 series vs 3 series? 

Yes, the leg room in the rear seats of 1 series (coupe standard) is limited vs. that of a 3 series sedan.  Some even say a 1 series BMW essentially is a 2 seater, but to me the rear seats will not be comfortable enough for rear riders in a long trip.

That's true of the 3-series in a two door as well.

viggen

« Reply #83 on: 14 Jan 2009, 12:23 am »
Any clue how much transmission fluid flush/change will cost?  Just called up my mechanic to give me an estimate.  He said he couldn't give me one since he's never done this before on a BMW before. 

Waiting to hear back from him.  If it's a good price, I will go pick up a couple of bottles of Royal Purple Synchromax.  I think 2 quarts will do, right? 

viggen

« Reply #84 on: 14 Jan 2009, 12:24 am »

How about the driver's leg room?  That's the only leg room I care about.   :lol:

Philistine

« Reply #85 on: 14 Jan 2009, 01:44 am »
Lovely cars, like my old 318Ti, but with POWER.

Almost bought this car many years ago.  From memory, I really like the way this car drives.  The stick is very good too.  But, I test drove a 325is with sports package immediately after.  The 325is is just so much more powerful and precise.  In fact, none of the newer BMWs I've driven have as much precision.  The Z4 I am driving now comes close but the gear box is sadly behind even the 318ti.

I found the Z4 to be a very balanced car, handles beautifully, good power to weight ratio, a dream to drive, fast and fun with no drama.  If I was in the market for a two seater this would be high on the list.

Philistine

« Reply #86 on: 14 Jan 2009, 03:00 am »
Sorry to pull the M3 topic astray a bit  :oops:John

I'll pull it awaway for one more post.......... for approx the same $$$ give me the new Caddy CTS-V and it will be fun to show the M-3 boys and girls my tailights !!!

You might like this video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BhQb2wJVPTg

viggen

« Reply #87 on: 14 Jan 2009, 07:11 am »
Ahh I woulda like to see the Caddie race again a performance oriented Audi either RS4 or S6 maybe even S5. 

And, as you can see in this tid bit, the Audi does not optimally drive around the track until you disengage the ATC.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tUfXMTEtZ9E

Paul_Bui

• Rode NTK and S-1 microphones
« Reply #88 on: 14 Jan 2009, 08:27 am »

How about the driver's leg room?  That's the only leg room I care about.   :lol:

Should be fine.  I've never heard complaints in that regard from tall drivers.

viggen

« Reply #89 on: 18 Jan 2009, 07:17 am »
Another update.  After replacing the CDV with a Zeckhausen one, 2nd gear grind was almost all gone.  And, shifting into 2nd gear can be made faster than before but still not very fast.

Thanks to Bob's suggestion, I researched about transmission fluid and decided to replace the OEM fluid with Royal Purple Synchromax.  Got it done this morning and been driving most of the day since. 

Now, shifting is much more of a no brainer exercise.  Shifting is smooth, power transfer from engine thru the transmission is predictable and much more controllable. And, most importantly, I can now use my lower gears more often now.  Before changing the transmission fluid, I didn't like downshifting into second or first.  The gears got notchy, and gear engagement is rough.  Now, both the stick and gear engagement is smooth.

The stick/transmission is not yet perfect.  I still like the late 80's thru mid 90's BMW transmission more.  If only someone made a better shifting rod for the Z4... I think that is the ticket.

TomS

« Reply #90 on: 18 Jan 2009, 11:33 am »
I used the Royal Purple and loved it.  It gets better after a few thousand miles too.

I had the Rogue Engineering weighted selector rod with my shift kit along with solid tranny mounts on a 2000 540i.  Take a look here http://www.rogueengineering.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=CTGY&Category_Code=WSR.  Not sure about the Z4 but you might call him to see what he can do.  They are experts at this for sure.

viggen

« Reply #91 on: 18 Jan 2009, 11:32 pm »
You mean it gets better?  I am sick as a dog and pretty much bed ridden right now.  But, I am going for a drive right after this post.

Rogue as well as UCC does not have a shift rod for the Z4.  I think if I were to install a SSK without an improve shift rod, notchiness will increase?

I used the Royal Purple and loved it.  It gets better after a few thousand miles too.

I had the Rogue Engineering weighted selector rod with my shift kit along with solid tranny mounts on a 2000 540i.  Take a look here http://www.rogueengineering.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=CTGY&Category_Code=WSR.  Not sure about the Z4 but you might call him to see what he can do.  They are experts at this for sure.