BMW M3

Philistine

BMW M3
« on: 16 Sep 2008, 10:53 pm »
Test drove the new M3 for a day last week - WOW :drool: :drool: :drool: :drool: :drool: :drool:
A perfectly balanced car that's incredible fun to drive.

http://www.truveo.com/Top-Gear-M3-E92-vs-Mercedes-AMG-C63-vs-Audi-RS4/id/3874414550

TomS

Re: BMW M3
« Reply #1 on: 16 Sep 2008, 11:20 pm »
Sweet!  I have owned and loved an E34 M5, E36 M3, and a 540i-6 (all pre-owned), so I don't dare set foot in one of the new ones  :o  Putting that screamer V8 in there has to be a blast for sure.  Now go ye forth and buy it.  You know you want it!

Tyson

• Audio - It's all a big fake.
« Reply #2 on: 17 Sep 2008, 12:08 am »
A friend of mine used to be an instructor at the racing school here in denver and i got to ride around in his m series a while back - incredible cars.  If I wasn't so in love with reliability I would own one.

Mack

« Reply #3 on: 17 Sep 2008, 01:00 am »
Had a M5 and M3 for many years and found the cars very reliable. Do not ride and burn the clutch.   :duh:

Philistine

« Reply #4 on: 17 Sep 2008, 03:02 am »
I drove the double clutch version with paddle shifters, so no clutch to burn.
Reliability - I've had Audi's, BMW's, Volvo's in Europe - In the US Audi, BMW, Toyota & Ford.
The most reliable of the bunch have been BMW's and the Toyota, and by a mile the most unreliable was my wife's Ford (never again).

I currently have a 325xi (new version) and have driven the rest in the range (including the 335 bi-turbo), what makes the M3 so special is that it's perfectly balanced, poised and easy to drive with no drama, it almost feels slower than the rest because of this.

pbrstreetgang

« Reply #5 on: 17 Sep 2008, 03:08 am »
Agree with all the above, they are very reliable and a nearly perfect package. Only cars I love more are Porsches.

Nels Ferre

« Reply #6 on: 17 Sep 2008, 03:18 am »
Having owned a Porsche, (944) I would think long and hard before buying another.

I have had an 89 BMW 325is that I sold when it hit 250000 miles- it didn't even use oil yet. I sold it privately in less than a week.

I currently drive a 94 325is that currently has 163,000 miles and still gets 29 MPG on the highway. Both of my 3's just received regular maintenance.  Oh yeah, the 94 did have the ignition switch break. That's it.

One secret to a BMW- avoid the dealer at all costs (unless covered by warranty.) Every town has a "guy". Mine is Foreign Car Clinic, a small independent shop. The service visits are quite reasonable. Other than oil changes, I budget $750 a year for major services and repairs.  I drive roughly 25000 miles a year.  Some years, I spend zero, other years, its $1200-1500.

My sister bought a 96 325ic on my recommendation, and loves the car. She ignored my service advice. Her local dealer got her (the one and only time) for $4000. No kidding. She uses an independent mechanic now as well.

My ex wife had a 735il. I would never recommend a 7 to anyone. The 3 series however....I'll buy another when the time comes.  It will probably be the only car I even look at.

RoadTripper

« Reply #7 on: 17 Sep 2008, 03:30 am »
I recently pulled the trigger on a BMW purchase. High mileage BMW's and a reliable non-dealer mechanic are the pathway to cheap auto-nirvana. Having wanted a BMW since I first drove a 2002 in 1968 and having despaired of the possibility as the price grew from $2500 in '68 to what it is now, getting a used one was my only option. In fact, I bought two of them. A '99 323i and a '97 750IL (the James Bond car from Tomorrow Never Dies). Total miles on the pair 250K.

I'm thinking about getting a 645i used in about 8 years or even better, an M3 -dv.

This is where I got mine: http://www.karnutz.com/inventory.php

jaywills

« Reply #8 on: 17 Sep 2008, 11:31 am »
Been driving the same e34 M5 since 1992 (144k miles now).  Greatest car in the world except for the M-premium you pay for parts.

Crimson

« Reply #9 on: 17 Sep 2008, 11:40 am »
My wife and I drive M3s. She's an e46 SMG, I'm an e46 6MT. I test drove the e92 as well and am pondering a swap, but the love I have for this car will make the decision difficult.

ctviggen

« Reply #10 on: 17 Sep 2008, 11:45 am »
As for reliability, I've heard mixed results.  Some people say their BMW has excellent reliability, others say it's the worst car they've ever owned. 

My problem with these cars is that there's nowhere to drive them -- other than a track -- anywhere near their limit.  My car has 230 HP, 258 Ft-lbs of torque, and I can't begin to come near its limits on surface roads.  I can't imagine cars like the newer M3 -- where would you drive it?  You'd have to take it to a track.

mcgsxr

« Reply #11 on: 17 Sep 2008, 12:13 pm »
Lots of excellent used BMW's out there, but some have a history.

I owned a 1995 3 series Ti (the funky hatch) for a number of years.  At around 110K miles, it ate a coil, and subsequently the electronic brain/black box.  $3000 later, it was promptly sold.

Great car, handled well, brakes were wonderful, but once that happened, I was afraid every time I twisted the key, that some other overpriced piece would die on me.

Would I buy a new M3?  Sure, if I had the dough, but as for higher mileage used BMW's, I have to back away slowly.

I will stick with my used, higher mileage Honda Accords...

Yes, I will die a slow boring death, but it will be cheap!

TheChairGuy

« Reply #12 on: 17 Sep 2008, 12:45 pm »
Test drove the new M3 for a day last week - WOW :drool: :drool: :drool: :drool: :drool: :drool:
A perfectly balanced car that's incredible fun to drive.

Philistine,

Did you try the 135i coupe, as well?  I love the tighter looks better than the larger 3 series and with 300hp, 200 lbs less bulk and a price tag $15K less that seems like the performance sweet spot in BMW's line now.  I've read that it is somehow the same roominess inside, too.

If they ever bring the 5 door hatchback over I'll possibly be a buyer.  I think BMW concerned it will cannibalize Mini sales here with it, however (a thought they should banish in light of $4.00 gasoline now in US)

We have the 2004 325ci (convertible) 5 speed auto and, frankly, I find it a bit pig-like carrying around 3700 lbs.  Also, I'm a whopping 5'9" and feel a bit claustrophobic in it, too (unlike the Mini somehow....)

Like CTViggen, I have a SAAB 9-3 (tricked out handling and some power tweeks).  Bob - if you haven't gotten the Viggen Rescue Pack for your ride, you haven't nearly tapped it's potential or grip capabilities yet  :)

John

JoshK

« Reply #13 on: 17 Sep 2008, 03:33 pm »
I had a good friend of mine that liked his cars.  He owned a brand new Integra coupe when they were the newest and latest thing, and we were in college, then traded it in for a BMW 325i and then to a Maxima.  He said he really loved driving the Integra best, the BMW was nice when it wasn't having issues but he loved the Maxima for overall ownership.

He swore profusely every time I asked about his BMW.  He had it on lease but for some reason complained about the cost of maintenance.  Not sure what the deal was.  Other of my friends had leased 328's and wore the lease out with no issues. 

I've always admired BMW 3 series, for looks, performance, features and reasonable gas mileage.  I just scoff at the new sticker price.  I am a cheap bastard when it comes to cars now.  In my teenage years I was a huge car fanatic and bought a brand new Honda Civic coupe when I was 19 (myself, no help from folks).  Now I think cars are generally a waste of money unless you have to drive 30K+ miles/year for your work. 

I own a '02 Subaru Outback that I bought for $5k from my folks.  We have had some unfortunate mishaps with it, mostly servicing errors leading to bigger problems, but we like the car still and will drive it into the ground (150k miles and going strong). 

lcrim

« Reply #14 on: 17 Sep 2008, 04:22 pm »
I got a 325i in August of 2005 when my Audi A4 was totaled.  I wanted to own one before I died and the insurance company gave me a large chunk for the Audi.  Its been a very reliable car for me but I'm only at 50,000 miles now. 
The car has the best brakes of any car I've ever driven.  It handles impeccably and inspires confidence.  It absolutely sucks in a snow storm but that's only 2 or 3 days tops, a year.  The original Bridgestone tires didn't last long and were loud and harsh.  The Continentals are much better.  I've averaged around 25 mpg which isn't too bad.
I am surprised at the reports of poor reliability, the new ones are very well screwed together and I think BMW heard the buzz about that issue and tried to meet that objection with better build quality, at least that's been my experience.
I live in suburban NJ and the traffic is such that I rarely get a chance to hustle but the car is well balanced and just feels like a precision piece of engineering giving me the same sort of feeling I get from a nice piece of stereo gear.  It works the way its supposed to.
The M3 is an awfully nice car but if I were looking today, I would probably look at the entry level 128i coupe.  Nice looking car.

ricmon

« Reply #15 on: 17 Sep 2008, 04:48 pm »
I got a E46 SMG 02 M3.   This car is a serious kick in the pants.  After a recent drive from DC to Iowa I don't even want to drive my car in the city anymore.  BTW my brother got stopped by the Indiana state trooper.  All I could do was laugh because I told him before we start the the M3 is a go straight to jail kind of car.  You just want to push it harder and faster.

ricmon

« Reply #16 on: 17 Sep 2008, 04:53 pm »
My wife and I drive M3s. She's an e46 SMG, I'm an e46 6MT. I test drove the e92 as well and am pondering a swap, but the love I have for this car will make the decision difficult.

Crimson which tranny do you perfer?  IMHO I think to pass on the SMG is to miss the point, formula race experience sans the 1 mill for an Enzo. :drool: :drool: :thumb:

Ric

Imperial

• Love keeps us in the air, when we ought to fall.
« Reply #17 on: 17 Sep 2008, 05:16 pm »
When driving BMW, one must have manual shift.
SMG would rob some of the driving pleasure!

I mean, it's the balance, the brakes, the rear wheel drive and the gearshift that makes for a BMW!
Even my merc diesel has a manual!!! I drive it like I stole it...

Maybe I'm a bit old fashioned - a given - I only like stick shift.
But, once you learn to shift , with manual, and especially downshift with powerbreaking and heal/toe usage..
It's just fun! At least my brothers BMW was immensely fun to do this with and I really believe that SMG ain't the way
to go with a M3! Ok It's easy - but then ... what's the point!
Ok so I haven't tested SMG  :oops:... but I can't imagine it being the way to go!!!

Imperial

TheChairGuy

« Reply #18 on: 17 Sep 2008, 05:53 pm »
Ok so I haven't tested SMG  :oops:... but I can't imagine it being the way to go!!!

Imperial

Imperial,

Seriously, you need to test it/them before pronouncing manuals as better these days.

I begrudgingly agreed to my wife that my SAAB in maybe 2005 or so that it will be my last manual (all I ever get as I agree with you on the fun factor of it) tranny.  It's also a pain as I get so many cell calls now on the road  :(

But, a couple years ago I began driving some vehicles with manu-matics and I have to say the newest crop of them are better than the old manuals with no penalty in gas mileage or fun factor.  Standouts are the Audio/VW DSG....and the Mini SMG (which is the same as BMW?) is just a tick off the pace of the outstanding Audio/VW system.

Volvo/Ford was very forgettable and SAAB/GM's was barely passable worthiness a couple years ago.

Forget about those aching legs pumping hard at your clutch in traffic, too  :beer:

John

lcrim

« Reply #19 on: 17 Sep 2008, 06:07 pm »
A BMW w/ a slush pump? Jeezus