Easy to install Acoustic Treamtent for Ceiling?

biz97

Easy to install Acoustic Treamtent for Ceiling?
« on: 15 Sep 2008, 10:45 pm »
Hi,

I am looking into options for treating the ceiling in my listening area.  I live in an apartment and products that would be easy to put up and take down would be ideal.  I have already placed some GIK and 8th Nerve products on the walls, corners, etc.  Any ideas?  Thanks!

bpape

• Industry Participant
  • I am serious and don't call my Shirley
    • Sensible Sound Solutions
Re: Easy to install Acoustic Treamtent for Ceiling?
« Reply #1 on: 15 Sep 2008, 11:09 pm »
Our 242's can be done on the ceiling by adding an additional wire and installing 2 plant hooks in the ceiling.

Bryan

biz97

« Reply #2 on: 15 Sep 2008, 11:43 pm »
Bryan,

Would the same go for the 244s?  I ask because I have a couple of extras.  Thanks!

mfsoa

« Reply #3 on: 16 Sep 2008, 12:16 am »
For my 242 on the ceiling I got some smally-gauge chain and strung it between eye-hooks secured in the inside of the panel, across the short dimension. Then it was easy to hang on hooks from the ceiling.

Big big improvement messing with what goes on over your head!

-Mike

bpape

• Industry Participant
« Reply #4 on: 16 Sep 2008, 12:19 am »
Yes - you could do the same for 244's. 

Mfsoa - yes, a lot of times - ESPECIALLY in rooms with an 8' ceiling, having something over your head can make a lot of difference.  Too bad we can't do that in the hotel rooms at RMAF...  :nono:

Bryan

biz97

« Reply #5 on: 16 Sep 2008, 03:13 am »
Thanks for the feedback guys.  I was thinking it might be a solid improvement. As far as placement is concerned, is there a rule of thumb for determining where to mount the panel?  Is it slightly in from of the speakers?  I was on the GIK site and the diagram showed 38% of the width of the room (if I recall correctly).  Also, I am using Ohm speakers if that makes a difference.  I have attached the a couple of room shots below if it helps:

Thanks!

max190

• Home of the St. Louis Cardinals!
« Reply #6 on: 16 Sep 2008, 12:03 pm »
biz97
Nice setup sir.

What worked for me was using the old mirror trick.  This placed my panels roughly halfway between my spkrs and listening position.

bpape

• Industry Participant
« Reply #7 on: 16 Sep 2008, 01:03 pm »
Panel placement depends on whether you're trying to catch first reflections off the ceiling or deal with height related bass anomolies.  If the latter, then directly over the seating is the best place.  Otherwise, yes, you can use the mirror.  A little easier method can also be used on the ceiling.  Since mid/tweet is approx ear level, you can just stretch a string between the speakers and your ears.  Go back halfway and then straight up.

Bryan

biz97

« Reply #8 on: 16 Sep 2008, 02:03 pm »
Great info.  Thanks for all the help guys!  Any idea on which placement would give the best bang for the buck in my situation?  I do have 8 ft. ceilings and I know that was mentioned earlier.  My head is 3 feet from the back wall and the total depth of that portion of the room is about 14.5 feet.

bpape

• Industry Participant
« Reply #9 on: 16 Sep 2008, 03:12 pm »
If you can move forward a little, I would.  If it were me, I'd do it over the seating position. Do you notice a plumpness in the 70ish Hz range?

Bryan

biz97

« Reply #10 on: 16 Sep 2008, 05:38 pm »
Bryan,

How much further would you suggest?  I can see if I can get it past the wife but it might get a big  :nono:   :lol:.  I have noticed some plumpness and have been working to try to reduce it.  So far it has been very successful by treating the back wall.  If adding one overhead would continue the trend it seems that will be the way to go.

Byron

biz97

« Reply #11 on: 18 Sep 2008, 03:13 pm »
I just wanted to thank Bryan and everyone else in this thread for all the help.  I was able to move my seating up a bit more and did notice an improvement from getting further away from that back wall.  I also placed an order with Frank from GIK today for a 244 panel that I will place over my seating area.  I received a tip from Frank concerning mounting.  He recomended that I check out EZ Anchors (#8 or #10).  I am excited to hear what treating this area may do.  I'll post an update after I have everything up.  Thanks again!

Byron

tvyankee

« Reply #12 on: 18 Sep 2008, 03:41 pm »
did you look at these guy's?

http://www.acousticsfirst.com/

Bob in St. Louis

• Volunteer
  • "Introverted Basement Dwelling Troll"
« Reply #13 on: 18 Sep 2008, 03:53 pm »
Mfsoa - yes, a lot of times - ESPECIALLY in rooms with an 8' ceiling, having something over your head can make a lot of difference.  Too bad we can't do that in the hotel rooms at RMAF...  :nono:
How about spring tension rods placed vertically between the floor and ceiling with clothes line or nylon cord stretched tightly across creating a "bridge" the panels could then be placed on top of. 
Cost you less than 40 or 50 bucks.  aa

Bob

EDIT: Would also provide an easy way for the average DIYer to experiment with panel placement without poking holes all over the ceiling.
Just slide the panels back and forth. No damage done.

bpape

• Industry Participant
« Reply #14 on: 18 Sep 2008, 04:01 pm »
Hi Byron

Sorry for missing your earlier post.  Yes 1-2 244's overhead will help with the plumpness as well as getting away from the rear wall a bit.

Good luck.

Bryan

richidoo

« Reply #15 on: 18 Sep 2008, 04:15 pm »
How about spring tension rods placed vertically between the floor and ceiling with clothes line or nylon cord stretched tightly across creating a "bridge" the panels could then be placed on top of. 
Cost you less than 40 or 50 bucks.  aa

Great idea Bob! I have thought about that too - a metal frame setup on the periphery of the room/ceiling that can hold panels however you want.

The clothesline WAF will be very low.  :lol:
Rich

Bob in St. Louis

• Volunteer
  • "Introverted Basement Dwelling Troll"
« Reply #16 on: 18 Sep 2008, 04:32 pm »
Yup Rich, that's it. The metal frame setup on the periphery is exactly what I was thinking.
Of course a fellow could use whatever colored nylon cord his wife prefered. White, yellow, orange .....etc....  :lol:

Bob

max190

• Home of the St. Louis Cardinals!
« Reply #17 on: 18 Sep 2008, 07:42 pm »
I just wanted to thank Bryan and everyone else in this thread for all the help.  I was able to move my seating up a bit more and did notice an improvement from getting further away from that back wall.  I also placed an order with Frank from GIK today for a 244 panel that I will place over my seating area.  I received a tip from Frank concerning mounting.  He recomended that I check out EZ Anchors (#8 or #10).  I am excited to hear what treating this area may do.  I'll post an update after I have everything up.  Thanks again!

Byron, what did you do with the (2) spare 244's that you had?

Also, did GIK let you order only (1) 244?

biz97

« Reply #18 on: 19 Sep 2008, 02:05 pm »
I still have the spare 244s.  The wife and I agreed that a different color would be better for the ceiling than black.  I may sell the other 244s to a person locally that has expressed interest.  I initially ordered just one but changed the order to get two.  I have ordered single items in the past.  The only downside is shipping costs are the same due to the dimensions of the box.  However, I have limited storage space and the extra cost was of lesser impact than the storage requirements for a few extra pieces.

mgalusha

« Reply #19 on: 19 Sep 2008, 04:03 pm »
I mounted my GiK panels on the ceiling using an anchor at each end and an L bracket. I first tried the 244's and it was too much, the 242's worked out better. I just drilled a hole through the wood frame to mount the L bracket, worked out very well. Only thing I suggest if using this method is to use a bolt/nut to mount the bracket to the treatment, a screw might pull out but there is no way the bolt/nut combo is coming down.