Isabella: Macbook vs Vista

Bucky

Re: Isabella: Macbook vs Vista
« Reply #40 on: 27 Sep 2008, 02:26 pm »
The web site Computer Audiophile seems a very good source of information (including the implementation of USB DACs generally). Chris, the site founder, has been dropping a lot of hints that something of significance is on the horizon from Apple that will be of interest to audiophiles, but no details -- it seems he's bound by confidentiality; I'm waiting to see whatever this is before buying a computer to use as a music server. He's vague on the timing as well.... early next year perhaps?

If he was bound by confidentiality he would not be discussing anything.  There are many Apple related rumor websites out there to obtain this type of information. 

Alwayswantmore

« Reply #41 on: 14 Oct 2008, 01:22 am »
So,October 14 then???
I will wait.
Anyone know anything about that aggressive pricing?

Thanks

Any word on the new Apple laptops???

Mariusz

« Reply #42 on: 14 Oct 2008, 01:24 am »
So,October 14 then???
I will wait.
Anyone know anything about that aggressive pricing?

Thanks

Any word on the new Apple laptops???

Not me but I am also anxious to find out more.

Alwayswantmore

« Reply #43 on: 16 Oct 2008, 12:00 am »
Announced yesterday. See apple.com for details. Called my local Apple store, they are offering the 'old' $1,500 unit for $1,300. The replacement unit went up $100 at retail. Faster graphics and aluminum case are two of the more notable differences.

bobbylou

« Reply #44 on: 16 Oct 2008, 01:46 am »
I think the new machines look great but the removal of the firewire port on the macbook is a deal breaker for me because I already own some firewire hardware I'm not ready to part with. That leaves only the macbook pro as an option and it's much more expensive. The old macbook (with white case and firewire port) is still available and dropped $100 to $999.

Mariusz

« Reply #45 on: 16 Oct 2008, 02:11 am »
Hi guys
yeah, I saw the details today on Apple's website and new Macbook looks really nice.
Good deals on the older Macs and new...white macbook as well.
Here is another question.
I have a dilemma...........
here is why:
(keep in mind that I will be using Isabellina DAC that is built-in the Isabella)
- I am very strongly considering purchase of Steve's Pace Car reclocker to reduce jitter from either
*Sonos
*or Mac (Macbook, Mini or other in the future when budget permites)

Since I already have Sonos,........ the Pace Car would cost me around 1K.
New Macbook, about the same.

Question is....should I go with the Sonos/pace car or Macbook alone and use it with usb (no Pace Car)?
With my latest expenses I can go with only one of these options. $1200 max is my budget.
Pace Car/Sonos or Mac?????????????????????
I am doomed.

undertow

« Reply #46 on: 21 Oct 2008, 05:09 pm »
What about the Apple TV?
Seems to me in the future generation if they kick this things Hard drive size up, maybe add a good USB port, and it already does HD movie content, works as a good stand alone Music server (although not designed specifically for this) and at the pricing it should be and is currently priced better than Ipods with docs + DAC, and Expensive Laptops trying to play the dedicated server or universal Computer role?

Just curious... If the current Apple TV had a bigger hard drive it would probably be a great solution for this in my opinion. But maybe I am missing something.

wilsynet

« Reply #47 on: 24 Oct 2008, 05:18 am »
undertow:  A number of people that have used the TOSLink output of the AppleTV have noted that it is particularly jittery.

Mariusz:  You already know the USB input of the Isabellina is seriously good, and Vinnie himself recommends it for best results.  Also, you might as well get the newer Macbook:  It has a nicer screen, a better enclosure, has a better CPU and will accept up to 4GB of RAM if you ever decide you need it.

Alwayswantmore

« Reply #48 on: 24 Oct 2008, 12:46 pm »
Mariusz:  You already know the USB input of the Isabellina is seriously good, and Vinnie himself recommends it for best results.  Also, you might as well get the newer Macbook:  It has a nicer screen, a better enclosure, has a better CPU and will accept up to 4GB of RAM if you ever decide you need it.
Better graphics chip but same CPU (correct me if I'm wrong???).

There's a $300 spread right now between the old and new top-of-line MacBook. I plan to use mine exclusively for a music server. If the old black unit was good enough for Srajan and Vinnie, I figured it would do it for me.

jrebman

« Reply #49 on: 24 Oct 2008, 05:05 pm »
Not to be contrary to the Mac party here, but today I'm expecting to take delivery of an
Acer Aspire One sub-noteboolk that I will use with my Isabellina (and probably also with my Peachtree Decco in the living room, and Devilsound DAC and headphone rig.)  This little guy (10" wide x 6" deep" x 1" thick - 2.17 pounds) has a 160 gb drive, 1.66 ghz Atom processor, 1 gb RAM, 8.9" 1024 x 600 display, 3 USB ports, multiformat memory card reader, 802.1b/g, blue tooth, etc. and a 6 cell li ion battery pack that will run for 5-1/2 hurs with wireless and display on.  Cost was $400

It is also said to have a really nice keyboard and a highly readable display.

I'll let you all know how it goes...

-- Jim

wilsynet

« Reply #50 on: 25 Oct 2008, 01:50 am »
Better graphics chip but same CPU (correct me if I'm wrong???).

The new Macbook (unibody) has a 1066 mhz front side bus versus the older 800 mhz front side bus.  That might not be a meaningful difference to you from a price-performance ratio, however.
« Last Edit: 25 Oct 2008, 05:37 am by wilsynet »

wilsynet

« Reply #51 on: 25 Oct 2008, 05:35 am »
Not to be contrary to the Mac party here, but today I'm expecting to take delivery of an
Acer Aspire One sub-notebook

If they did a decent job with the USB controller, I'm sure it'll be very nice.  Assuming XP has been pre-installed rather than Vista, here are some useful links:

http://worshiptheglitch.com/2006/02/apple-itunes-powered-by-foobar2000.html
http://www.foobar2000.org/
http://www.aqua-soft.org/board/showthread.php?t=38334
http://www.asio4all.com/

jrebman

« Reply #52 on: 25 Oct 2008, 12:39 pm »
Hi Wilson,

Yes, it comes with XP installed, and after going through all the various media player options, foobar is my player of choice right now as it is by far the most screen reader friendly out of the box.  Down the road, once I've had the time to write some good configuration scripts for Media Monkey, that will probably be what I migrate over to.

Thanks for the links -- a couple of them I didn't know about so will check them out.  I'm also going to give foobar's own kernel streaming plug-in a try.  It apparently has problems with some hardware, but if it works on a particular machine, it's likely to be a good performer.

First order of business will be getting a USB CD drive hooked up and get the screen reader software loaded.  Right now it's just this slick looking thing sitting here waiting for a little sighted help to get me through the initial power on and setup stages :-).

Take care,

Jim

Alwayswantmore

« Reply #53 on: 25 Oct 2008, 05:03 pm »
below

Alwayswantmore

« Reply #54 on: 25 Oct 2008, 05:28 pm »
Got my MacBook yesterday. Looking forward to comparing it to CDs via digital outs on BluRay player!

planet10

• Industry Participant
  • Frugal-phile (tm)
    • planet10-hifi
« Reply #55 on: 25 Oct 2008, 06:07 pm »
Also, you might as well get the newer Macbook:  It has a nicer screen, a better enclosure, has a better CPU and will accept up to 4GB of RAM if you ever decide you need it.

Unfortunately it does not have firewire. That would be a deal killer for me.

dave

alan m. kafton

« Reply #56 on: 25 Oct 2008, 06:34 pm »
The new Macbook Pro has one firewire 800 port.   :D

The new non-pro units have none.   :roll:

hifi2me

« Reply #57 on: 27 Oct 2008, 12:32 pm »
Hi there,

new here but still not sure about pros and cons using Macbook vs Vista!

Itunes installed on a PC with Vista would the sound quality be same as compared with a Macbook when using USB?

am currently using a IBM T61 and not sure if a swap to Macbook would increase quality :?

Alwayswantmore

« Reply #58 on: 27 Oct 2008, 12:58 pm »
Hi there,

new here but still not sure about pros and cons using Macbook vs Vista!

iTunes installed on a PC with Vista would the sound quality be same as compared with a Macbook when using USB?

am currently using a IBM T61 and not sure if a swap to Macbook would increase quality :?
I'm the OP for this tread. From all the comments, my conclusion is that if properly set up  a PC laptop should do as well. This main benefit of the Mac is that it's easier to set up. There are a number of suggestions and links in this thread to help WinTel customers get their PCs properly set up.

Since I need to buy a laptop anyway, I spent the extra bucks for the Mac. In my case it will be exclusively used as a music server.
« Last Edit: 27 Oct 2008, 04:35 pm by Alwayswantmore »

hifi2me

« Reply #59 on: 27 Oct 2008, 02:12 pm »
Have anyone experience using a MAC or PC and then expand with external harddisk capacity. Seems as it's a cheaper solution if you need capacity for your music files :)