Isabella: Macbook vs Vista

Nels Ferre

Re: Isabella: Macbook vs Vista
« Reply #20 on: 16 Sep 2008, 01:34 am »

[/quote]

Hi el dub,

I have also heard that Windows can actually run better on a Mac  8)

[/quote]

I have my MacBook setup with Bootcamp- Leopard on the large partition, XP on the small one.

I use Leopard for everything except 2 applications which require Windows- one for my office, and we stream movies from Netflix. 

Windows XP absolutely flies on the Mac (as does Leopard, which is faster still.)  I tried Vista on it too. Vista is a dog no matter what you run it on, so I went XP instead. I also tried Fusion as well, but it works better just running Bootcamp.

Before the Vista fans start- I have plenty enough power to run it correctly (2.16 GB Intel Core 2 Duo Processor, 4 GB RAM) so that's not it.

wilsynet

« Reply #21 on: 16 Sep 2008, 01:47 am »
PC World ran some benchmarks of Windows Vista on a number of different laptops and found that if you installed Bootcamp (the dual boot solution for Macintoshes) on the Macbook Pro, that it was the fastest Vista machine they had ever tested.

http://www.pcworld.com/article/136649-3/in_pictures_the_most_notable_notebooks_of_2007.html

I think the right conclusion to draw here is that Apple sells a very competitive set of solutions, and while none of them fall into the category of bargain basement pricing they are nevertheless very competitive.  You get sticker shock if you compare a $2500 Macbook Pro to a $600 Dell Inspiron, but compare it to a $2300 Dell Precision M6300 and all of a sudden it doesn't look so out of whack.

As I was saying before, for the most part here you get what you pay for, and while Apple has chosen to not compete in the < $1000 laptop market, where it does compete, say the Macbook at $1100, turns out to be a very good, well priced machine indeed.

planet10

• Industry Participant
  • Frugal-phile (tm)
    • planet10-hifi
« Reply #22 on: 16 Sep 2008, 01:54 am »
maybe pop for a Mac (I would just as soon have a Mac, but the cost of getting new software and all has kept me from making the leap).

VMWare Fusion or Parallels can make that transition easier... the Macs also come with a lot of software that serves most people's needs.

My personal experience (in a previous life i was a full-time Mac guy, i'll have clients forever) is that people getting these virtulizers use them a whole lot less than they expect... once they get the hang of the elegant way most Mac sw works they migrate as quickly as possible.

dave

Fork

• Industry Participant
  • (855) JAGAUDIO
    • JaguarAudioDesign.com
« Reply #23 on: 23 Sep 2008, 12:21 am »
A quick follow-up to my earlier post on this thread.  I'm in agreement with the general conclusion that Mac or PC is just a question of whether you have a preference for one platform, you have something against a PC or aren't willing to pay the Mac premium.  However, I'm backing away from my earlier conclusion that Mac has any advantage as a music server (or PC as a general computing platform).

The reason is the new iTunes 8 for PC.  Despite the time and effort to set up Foobar I was appreciating it much more than iTunes because of the ability to arrange the elements anywhere on the interface, set the font type/size, control how the playlist behaves, switch the output methods (i.e. kernal streaming), use Secret Rabbit etc.

I still prefer the versatility of Foobar to iTunes, but after some longer listening sessions, I'm finding the output switching and Secret Rabbit with Foobar are not really improving my sound.  Maybe when I have an Isabella, with more sensitive DAC I will hear the difference; currently I'm using a Scott Nixon tube + power source DAC and a NuForce Icon DAC section (BTW, I'm not impressed with either, but the KingRex T-20 DAC is quite good).

Also, with the new iTunes 8, the interface is just cooler than Foobar or the old iTunes; I especially like the mini-album art front end.  Another reason I was using Foobar is that I heard iTunes was inefficient on a PC, but on my Centrino 2, 64-bit Vista machine, the resource meter shows the same reading, 6%, for both applications.

Therefore, I find no drawback to using iTunes on a PC.  You can still have the conveniences and simplicity that Apple offers.  As far as I can tell, the only real measurable factors are those mentioned at the top.

thunderbrick

• Volunteer
  • I'm just not right!
« Reply #24 on: 23 Sep 2008, 12:34 am »
"Before the Vista fans start- I have plenty enough power to run it correctly (2.16 GB Intel Core 2 Duo Processor, 4 GB RAM) so that's not it."

There are Vista fans?

Mariusz

« Reply #25 on: 23 Sep 2008, 01:18 am »
Any thoughts on MacBook Air?
Advantages, disadvantages?
What about  64GB solid-state drive?
And last - will the new design with fewer moving parts and seperate super-drive be significantly quiter then
original Macs or top Vista PC laptops?

I am far from computer wizard but maybe someone is more computer savvy and has an opinion or answer to these questions.

Since my wonderful family took over all of house PCs and iMac, I am forced to use my Archos 705WiFi for most of my Internet usage and emails.

If this new MacBook Air is really that good.......I would consider buying it for ME,ME,ME,ME only ME and maybe use it with Isabella with Isabellina DAC.

What do you all think?

Thanks
Mariusz

Vinnie R.

• Industry Contributor
    • http://www.vinnierossi.com
« Reply #26 on: 23 Sep 2008, 01:31 am »
Hi Mariusz,

I believe the Macbook Air only has one USB port, so if you want to use it with the Isabella's USB input, and you want to use an external CD drive to rip your music, it is going to be a pain in the @ss switching between them all the time!  :duh:

I would go with the regular Macbook instead:

- Less expensive
- Two USB ports
- Built-in DVD/CD burner drive
- Much larger hard drive (although it is not solid-state)

The Macbook Air seems like a good solution for a lot of traveling (it is light weight, thin, good battery life, no moving parts) and for those who download all their music from iTunes (mp3's), but not as a music server for home audio.  Just my opinion...

Vinnie

thunderbrick

• Volunteer
  • I'm just not right!
« Reply #27 on: 23 Sep 2008, 01:42 am »
I have two friends who have the MacBook Air, and they seem to share Vinnie's  opinion.  I have the MacPro and love it. I beat it up a lot, and it keeps on runnin'

Mariusz

« Reply #28 on: 23 Sep 2008, 02:30 am »
Thanks guys.
Well then, is the wait for new MacBook worth it or ......?

Mariusz

bobbylou

« Reply #29 on: 23 Sep 2008, 03:53 am »
Apple is notoriously secretive about unreleased products but what little info does escape the infinite loop points to this being a major rather than minor update. It's not expected to be a speed bump, but something that actually changes the look and feature set of the macbook. Will it really happen? Well I've been disappointed before, but a month isn't that long. It depends on how much you need it now and how much you're affected by not having the "latest + greatest".

Here's a sort of mac buyers guide based on how long it's been since the last update/historical update frequency/rumors/ouija boards etc. http://buyersguide.macrumors.com/

Alwayswantmore

« Reply #30 on: 23 Sep 2008, 08:38 am »
Apple is notoriously secretive about unreleased products but what little info does escape the infinite loop points to this being a major rather than minor update. It's not expected to be a speed bump, but something that actually changes the look and feature set of the macbook. Will it really happen? Well I've been disappointed before, but a month isn't that long. It depends on how much you need it now and how much you're affected by not having the "latest + greatest".

Here's a sort of mac buyers guide based on how long it's been since the last update/historical update frequency/rumors/ouija boards etc. http://buyersguide.macrumors.com/
Your link is great. I read many of the articals. Looks like October is the month.

Mariusz

« Reply #31 on: 23 Sep 2008, 02:14 pm »
So,October 14 then???
I will wait.
Anyone know anything about that aggressive pricing?

Thanks

Alwayswantmore

« Reply #32 on: 23 Sep 2008, 08:27 pm »
So,October 14 then???
I will wait.
Anyone know anything about that aggressive pricing?

Thanks

...or what happens to pricing for old models, assuming there are still some in inventory???

wilsynet

« Reply #33 on: 23 Sep 2008, 09:11 pm »
For those considering a bargain basement Dell laptop, this thread may be of interest to you:

http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=57482.0

I doubt that all Dell laptops have problems, but I do suspect that the cheaper ones probably do.  Of course, as in all things, YMMV.

Bemopti123

« Reply #34 on: 23 Sep 2008, 11:17 pm »
Do not expect that the aggressive pricing will make the Macbooks remarkably cheaper than what they are now.  Perhaps a couple of 100s off, not more than that. 

Mariusz

« Reply #35 on: 24 Sep 2008, 12:41 am »
Do not expect that the aggressive pricing will make the Macbooks remarkably cheaper than what they are now.  Perhaps a couple of 100s off, not more than that. 

Thanks ,
and hey......I take what I can. Couple hundreds can go towards new music purchases.....great deal if you asked me.

As to reliability well, I have my iMac for 3-4 years (using it mainly for photo, video and graphics) - no issues, not one.
In the mid-time , two PC laptops came and went. Personally, I hate PC. It caused me nothing but grief and frustration.

No wonder hackers hate Bill's guts and let him taste some of his own medicine.

Thanks for the scoop and recommendations

Mariusz

smk

• Life's a bummer, then you pay taxes.
« Reply #36 on: 24 Sep 2008, 01:10 am »
Macs are not technically better. But if you want a computer that lasts, is better built, has good warrenty service, work as expected, etc. then a Mac is hard to beat.

Mariusz

« Reply #37 on: 24 Sep 2008, 01:50 am »
Macs are not technically better. But if you want a computer that lasts, is better built, has good warrenty service, work as expected, etc. then a Mac is hard to beat.

Agree, agree and .....agree.

Like I said previously - I am far from computer wizard and can only share my own experiences with both, Mac and PC.
From those experiences, Mac wins hands down.
Besides, any serious editing or design can be done and enjoy (work-flow wise) only on my outdated Mac. I managed to always screw something up on PC..........  :duh:
I am not saying that PC is worthless - no. All I am saying that Mac has more resistance to my not so perfect - computer management. :thumb:
As the music server, Mac just makes more sense to me. Besides , just like Steve Jobs - Vinnie is innovative and on the edge.

Mariusz

kitten

« Reply #38 on: 24 Sep 2008, 06:37 am »
The web site Computer Audiophile seems a very good source of information (including the implementation of USB DACs generally). Chris, the site founder, has been dropping a lot of hints that something of significance is on the horizon from Apple that will be of interest to audiophiles, but no details -- it seems he's bound by confidentiality; I'm waiting to see whatever this is before buying a computer to use as a music server. He's vague on the timing as well.... early next year perhaps?

Vinnie R.

• Industry Contributor
    • http://www.vinnierossi.com
« Reply #39 on: 25 Sep 2008, 12:55 pm »
Chris, the site founder, has been dropping a lot of hints that something of significance is on the horizon from Apple that will be of interest to audiophiles, but no details -- it seems he's bound by confidentiality;

Ahhh, such a tease!  :green: