Help! World largest vinyl collection on sale!!

AliG

Help! World largest vinyl collection on sale!!
« on: 23 Aug 2008, 02:18 pm »
Watch this video... aa aa
http://www.vimeo.com/1546186

F-100

Re: Help! World largest vinyl collection on sale!!
« Reply #1 on: 23 Aug 2008, 03:40 pm »
$3 Million for his asking price. That is a bargain.

2bigears

« Reply #2 on: 23 Aug 2008, 03:41 pm »
 :D  if i had the loot,that would be my next buy.... :drool:

pardales

« Reply #3 on: 23 Aug 2008, 03:58 pm »
Wow. What a profoundly sad and inspiring story. If I was playing in that dollar range I wouldn't hesitate. A music archive of epic proportions. It makes me think of the various efforts that scientists and naturalists have undertaken to store seeds around the globe so that one day, when we need them, we will be able to plant food again. This is like a music seed bank.

Thanks for posting this. A very moving story....

doug s.

• makin' music
« Reply #4 on: 23 Aug 2008, 05:40 pm »
seller tried ebay back in february...

http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=51263.0

doug s.

toocool4

« Reply #5 on: 23 Aug 2008, 06:05 pm »
What an amazingly sad story, I could never envisage parting with my vinyl collection. He must be heartbroken to have to get rid of his life long collection. :(

Chris

pbrstreetgang

« Reply #6 on: 23 Aug 2008, 08:49 pm »
If I won the lottery I would buy that from him and perfectly recreate Record-Rama and build a house/fortress around it.

Geardaddy

« Reply #7 on: 24 Aug 2008, 12:04 am »
what a sad story.  I am amazed no one has bought that collection.  Three million is peanuts considering what it is actually worth...

pbrstreetgang

« Reply #8 on: 24 Aug 2008, 12:19 am »
what a sad story.  I am amazed no one has bought that collection.  Three million is peanuts considering what it is actually worth...

Thats the problem, with worth determined by the market it evidently isnt worth 3 million. To me it is but I dont have 3 million and the people that do dont think its worth 3 million. What a great business opportunity it would be to buy that collection that 83% is unavailable on CD and to open a true HiDef downloads of the converted LPs. Of course a serious recording Engineer would need to be brought in to do it right but the wealth of music that is archived will bring joy to the world for a lifetime. I think the members of Audiocircle should pool our resources and combined credit and put our hobby to work for us! If there is a financial guy here that can do a cost/profit feasibility report to see if its doable it could be the first community owned archive by any nerdo forum and we could all be shareholders. Well I can dream cant I?

JasonB

« Reply #9 on: 24 Aug 2008, 01:03 am »
Great idea on the community purchase.

Count me in if the details are ever worked out.

How many members on Audio Circle? Audioasylum?

Get 1500 people together and its only 2000 bucks a person.

How long before the RIAA hunts us all down when they find out we digitized the LPs and then shared them amongst so many people.

pbrstreetgang

« Reply #10 on: 24 Aug 2008, 01:09 am »
Well 83% isnt even offered by currently owned catalogs. Besides worst case is we will all be music rich as we are all the owners. You wouldnt pay 2K for more music than you could listen to?

topround

« Reply #11 on: 24 Aug 2008, 01:13 am »
I would do this in a heartbeat if it was legally feasible.
There must be someone with the brains here that can manage this.

Geardaddy

« Reply #12 on: 24 Aug 2008, 01:15 am »

Thats the problem, with worth determined by the market it evidently isnt worth 3 million. To me it is but I dont have 3 million and the people that do dont think its worth 3 million. What a great business opportunity it would be to buy that collection that 83% is unavailable on CD and to open a true HiDef downloads of the converted LPs. Of course a serious recording Engineer would need to be brought in to do it right but the wealth of music that is archived will bring joy to the world for a lifetime. I think the members of Audiocircle should pool our resources and combined credit and put our hobby to work for us! If there is a financial guy here that can do a cost/profit feasibility report to see if its doable it could be the first community owned archive by any nerdo forum and we could all be shareholders. Well I can dream cant I?

A groovy idea indeed.  The projected worth of his collection was over 50 million....

pbrstreetgang

« Reply #13 on: 24 Aug 2008, 01:26 am »
Extrapolate that over 20 years with income trough HiDef downloads of that unmarked 83% to all the world. It has the potential to be really huge. The rights management would be a big issue but if worst comes to worst we all own the material and all get to fill up our multi terabyte drives and sell the albums for $1 a piece we would still be rich

ecramer

• Volunteer
  • In time whats deserved always get served.
« Reply #14 on: 24 Aug 2008, 03:37 am »
1498 members  more I'm good for 2k on this  :lol: Its a shame id like to  just spend a week looking at it.

ed

JerryM

• Where's The Bar?
« Reply #15 on: 24 Aug 2008, 04:11 am »
I'm in. 1,497 to go!  :thumb:

stevenkelby

• Adelaide, South Australia
« Reply #16 on: 24 Aug 2008, 08:37 am »
OK, 1496 :)

lonewolfny42

• Speakers....What Speakers ?
« Reply #17 on: 24 Aug 2008, 08:43 am »
Good idea.... :wink:

1495 here..... :hyper:

Miney

• Free your mind... and your ass will follow
« Reply #18 on: 25 Aug 2008, 05:05 pm »
Hey I bought records there as a teenager...  still spinning them.

And I'd be interested in becoming shareholder.  :wine:

TheChairGuy

« Reply #19 on: 25 Aug 2008, 05:56 pm »
1494  :D

I'll kick in another $2K if Paul/Miney would lay a layer of Plast-i-Clay to the top of his deck  :lol: (making 1493, too)

John