Help! World largest vinyl collection on sale!!

SET Man

Re: Help! World largest vinyl collection on sale!!
« Reply #20 on: 25 Aug 2008, 10:03 pm »
Hey!

Sad story indeed :?

I've read and see his auction before. It is going to be hard to sell. Who got $3M and space for all those records.

BTW... the old Berliner 78 rpm record that he shows us at the beginning look like is in minty condition of which is rare to find one in that condition. I'm sure that there are some more treasures in there.

You know if I had that kind of money and than some sitting around I will fly there and make a deal with him for sure. :D

I do wish him luck.

Take care,
Buddy :thumb:

Miney

• Free your mind... and your ass will follow
« Reply #21 on: 27 Aug 2008, 01:22 pm »
1494  :D

I'll kick in another $2K if Paul/Miney would lay a layer of Plast-i-Clay to the top of his deck  :lol: (making 1493, too)

John
aa

LOL John.   BTW last week I sprayed the platter's underside with rubberized undercoat :thumb: works great... but phewee it still stinks!

TheChairGuy

« Reply #22 on: 27 Aug 2008, 02:13 pm »
aa

LOL John.   BTW last week I sprayed the platter's underside with rubberized undercoat :thumb: works great... but phewee it still stinks!

Yes, it does stink (I imagine anyone growing up in Akron, Ohio when there were tire plants all around would concur as to the putrid waft of rubber freshly applied :wink:)

The fast-dying Dupli-Color UC103 smelled for a bit less time than the Dynamat (I think that  was the stuff I bought at Parts Express previously  :scratch:).  I don't see the Dupli-Color much in the market now....they may have discontinued it.

Hope the rubberization of the platter underside was worthwhile - it's a small tweek in the right direction.  You can't really apply enough to the underside to make a large damping impact (clearances generally won't allow for much to be applied).  A quality submat (something under your mat in contact with your record itself) is key in damping this delicate juncture (especially in DD decks).

I bought a 12 x 12" square of EAR Isoplatmat from Michael Percy Audio (I think it was US$29) and cut a neat 12" round square from that to use as a sub-mat under my Herbies Way Excellent Mat.  A great combo and not budget busting...damps the platter well, and provides a good (not overdamped) interface for your record. 

The Isoplatmat has a fairly benign (even pleasant) blue color, so it doesn't seriously degrade aesthetics for most  8)

Allright, so Paul/Miney won't be putting the Plast-i-Clay on the topside of his deck....so we're back to 1494 members to go.

John

lazydays

« Reply #23 on: 27 Aug 2008, 03:16 pm »
about three years ago my youngest son shipped an entire record collection to Australia that completely filled up three sea frieght containers. They were valued at over three million dollars then. When inspected the containers he saw brand new and sealed Beatles LP's as well as just about anybody else you could think of.
gary

JeffB

« Reply #24 on: 27 Aug 2008, 06:07 pm »
I think the problem with the price is that you have no right to make copies and sell those.
If you could digitize them and setup an iTunes store, the price might be a bargain.
However, you have to simply buy it for your personal enjoyment.
Assuming you can listen to 2 albums per day every day for the next 40 years that is
29200 album plays.  If you bought that many albums new today at say $20 then
that is $584000.  Granted some of the music can't be obtained today.
Plus I generally prefer to here material that I am familiar with. 
Occasionally, I am in the mood to try a new album.  So, thinking of how many unique albums would be worth my time
requires dividing the 29200 by about 10.  And for me even the 2 albums per day is way to high.  I would probably have to divide by 5 again leaving
584.  So for me $10000 in music would last me 40 years.  But I would want new music going into the future, so I wouldn't want to buy all old stuff right now.

Wayner

« Reply #25 on: 27 Aug 2008, 09:55 pm »
I have over 2,000 LP's and can't find any time to possibly play many of these. I just don't understand a collection this large unless it really was just an investment, but then again who would buy it and where would you put it?

Just plain too much.

Wayner

lazydays

« Reply #26 on: 28 Aug 2008, 01:24 am »
I have over 2,000 LP's and can't find any time to possibly play many of these. I just don't understand a collection this large unless it really was just an investment, but then again who would buy it and where would you put it?

Just plain too much.

Wayner

I'm getting in the same boat! I've got about 2300 LP's and the stash seems to grow weekly to the point that I need new storage. I was having cherry racks being built by an Amish gentelman awhile back, but a tornado completely wiped out the town he lived in. Most of the stuff I've been buying lately is just old school acoustic jazz (Basie and Ellington mostly), and classical. I did come home this afternoon with three London box sets of opera.
gary

macrojack

• Restricted
« Reply #27 on: 28 Aug 2008, 12:12 pm »
Has anyone seen a catalog of what's in this "collection"? Two grand is a lot of money to throw in to a blind assumption.
I've got about 4 thousand LPs but I'm sure I don't play more than 100 with any regularity. In fact, I bet there are records in there that I have never heard. If I had a million of them, I would probably still play the same ones I do now.

jazzcourier

« Reply #28 on: 28 Aug 2008, 03:24 pm »
All due respect to Paul and his "one million albums" but there are several things to consider.First rental of a large dump truck and steam shovel to get at least 50% of that stock to a landfill that would take them and somehow ecologically dispose of them.Perhaps the actual vinyl could be recycled since it is a byproduct of petroleum.Then you can store,say 30% of the records that MAY have some value.Of course you would have to go through them and determine the condition and that would take a small army,and more time then the records would be worth.This would have to be a FEMA sized operation.Take the remaining 20% that might have value and do the math.There are not enough collectors to consume all the 45's and 78's in that collection.There is a reason those records have not been sold.Sure,there will be some amazing finds and i for one would love to go through that stock.He would do better  having a"sale" where collectors would fly in and pick through the collection and make purchases.Imagine the publicity that would bring,not to mention the money.
In some 40 years of collecting i have seen some huge,huge, collections,stocks,warehouses and accumulations that blew my mind,some approaching the volume of Paul's stock.Folks,get to the Goodwill,Salvation Army,yard and tag sales,the 99 cent bin down at Bruno's Tune Grotto and the high priced collector bins at Vinyl Vermin and get yourself some records.This mega stock,whatever is actually there,is truly just the stuff dreams are made of.

nathanm

« Reply #29 on: 28 Aug 2008, 05:25 pm »
Has anyone seen a catalog of what's in this "collection"? Two grand is a lot of money to throw in to a blind assumption.
I've got about 4 thousand LPs but I'm sure I don't play more than 100 with any regularity. In fact, I bet there are records in there that I have never heard. If I had a million of them, I would probably still play the same ones I do now.
That's what I'd like to know too.  There's something fishy about the whole thing.  To estimate the value at 50 million, try to sell it at 3 million and still no takers I'd have to assume it's just a bunch of stuff nobody wants.  It would seem an ideal candidate for a museum if it really was such a treasure.

If anything this story is a lesson on how one SHOULDN'T obsessively collect stuff because after a certain point it makes no logical sense for one person to have that much stuff in one place.  It kinda turns the concept of ownership on its head.  It's like walking into an airplane hanger-sized warehouse of stuff and saying, "Okay, I own everything in here.  Great.  Uh, okay, what do I do now?"  He can't listen to everything he's got, nobody else wants to take it, so now it's just a burden.  It would make more sense to split it up as jazzcourier described.  There's only a certain amount of stuff a person can actively consume, beyond that it starts making no sense.  We can experience this same thing with our comparatively small record collections.  I don't know what that amount is, but perhaps it would be the ability to know for sure if a given album is in your collection or not.  So if someone says "Beatles, White Album" and you aren't sure if you have that one or not, then maybe your collection is too big for comfort.  I don't mean you have to be able to recite your collection alphabetically, but a nearly flawless mental inventory, when asked, would seem to make sense.