Your Front yard

Tubes 4 Ever

Your Front yard
« on: 5 Aug 2008, 10:21 pm »
I have always been fascinated with where everyone lives. Since JohnR is constantly making me sick with his backdrop  :lol: So I thought i would try to start a thread with a single shot from your front door or porch. Nothing to artsy, just real. And I ask a short description of where and any other interesting notes. Should be fun to see where everyone lives, even JohnR  :wink:

Dayton Ohio USA, birthplace of Orville and Wilbur Wright, Ermal Fraze invented the pop-top can in Kettering, James J. Ritty, of Dayton, invented the cash register in 1879 to stop his patrons from pilfering house profits, Paul Laurence Dunbar of Dayton is known as the poet laureate of African Americans.

arthurs

Re: Your Front yard
« Reply #1 on: 5 Aug 2008, 11:27 pm »
Since there's not much to see out my front door except the porch, here's a picture of my front door...

Fort Worth, Texas "Where the West begins"  This denotes a deal made between the Republic of Texas and Native Americans in 1843.  The deal divided land on either side of an imaginary line and the settlers took the land to the East, while the Native Americans took the land to the West....hence the slogan...apologies for the discolored grass, average temp here for the last couple weeks has been about 103, the poor grass doesn't stand a chance....

Tubes 4 Ever

« Reply #2 on: 5 Aug 2008, 11:31 pm »
Dude where are the trees  :), I spent several fun filled US Air force days down there. Wonderful city, great looking house  :thumb:

arthurs

« Reply #3 on: 5 Aug 2008, 11:32 pm »
No trees on the high plains brother, just some tumblin tumbleweeds!  :lol:

arthurs

« Reply #4 on: 5 Aug 2008, 11:41 pm »
wait...there's some trees in the backyard....

Scott F.

« Reply #5 on: 5 Aug 2008, 11:54 pm »
Heres a pic of my front yard, it's almost all trees :green: The biggest tree we've got is a sycamore that is about 80-100' tall and about 80' across with an 8' diameter trunk. Heck, the branches on this thing are bigger around than most full grown trees. Unlike most homes, ours was built on the back side of a four acre lot so almost my entire yard is my front yard. Its great during the summer because I've got several rows of trees separating me from my neighbors.

Here is one of my back and side yard, sort of. At the time I was focusing on the memosa blossoms but you can catch (an out of focus glimpse) of my side yard and my little barn.

nathanm

« Reply #6 on: 6 Aug 2008, 12:35 am »
doh!
« Last Edit: 8 Aug 2008, 06:50 pm by nathanm »

Bob in St. Louis

• Volunteer
  • "Introverted Basement Dwelling Troll"
« Reply #7 on: 6 Aug 2008, 03:59 am »
And there goes Nathan, being all artsy.....damn you man. Have you ever taken a crappy photo?
It was a simple task, and you had to go and be fancy:P

I have always been fascinated with where everyone lives.
I agree 100%. I'm very intrigued when it comes to other members "environments" so to speak.
I love seeing photos of houses, audio stuff, cars, etc.... It helps me get a mental image of who I'm talking to.

It's nighttime and I'm ready for bed, so I'm not taking any photos right now, but here's a couple from "the bin":

FRONT YARD (winter obviously) :

FRONT OF HOUSE (winter obviously) :

NORTH SIDE OF HOUSE:
{the foremost windows are the Home Theater room}

SOUTH SIDE:

Arthurs, you suck man. That's one heckuva NICE house you got there!  aa

JerryM

• Where's The Bar?
« Reply #8 on: 6 Aug 2008, 04:08 am »
Arthurs, you suck man. That's one heckuva NICE house you got there! 

Man, I was thinkin' that I was the only one who noticed that and was somewhat jealous...  :duh: 

There's bartenders, and then there's Bartenders! Line up another, Bob... I need to come to grips with this...   :thumb:

Beautiful pics, and homes, guys. I wish I could hear the music from the distant edge of your photographs.

Jerry

lonewolfny42

• Speakers....What Speakers ?
« Reply #9 on: 6 Aug 2008, 04:19 am »
Art's house is not only nice on the outside....looks even better on the inside. 8)

And his audio room.....wow....that's some room !!!  :hyper:

Hey Bob....how close is your nearest neighbor ? Looks like your off on your own with that photo....nice house as well. :wink:

lonewolfny42

• Speakers....What Speakers ?
« Reply #10 on: 6 Aug 2008, 04:27 am »
My front yard - Long Island,NY....in 2006...during a snow storm....taken from inside...shooting out the front bow window....only photo's I have... :?

Homes are close together.....I need to move to the country...some wide open spaces... :D

nathanm

« Reply #11 on: 6 Aug 2008, 04:28 am »
Nah, not artsy, that was a test shot of some new film I got. 

Dang Bob, what a location!  Nice!

mca

« Reply #12 on: 6 Aug 2008, 05:12 am »
On the opposite end of the spectrum, here is my humble little abode. The garage was turned into the theater/music room. Lucky to get a day or two of snow in Seattle and that's why I took the picture.

JohnR

« Reply #13 on: 6 Aug 2008, 10:58 am »
Hey :) Great idea for a thread :thumb:

I live in Newport, New South Wales, Australia. This is a suburb of Sydney, and is located on the Pittwater Peninsula (aka the "Insular Peninsula") at the Northern reaches of the Northern Beaches of Sydney. Before I bought this place many years ago, I had been living right in the inner city, and frankly, I just had to get out. This area is still a bit suburban, but beaches and other natural beauty is not very far away at all if you care to look for it.

Anyway, to the thread - I don't have a front yard at all, really... I live on a steep block, and my block is covered in trees. This is good sometimes, and not so good when one of them decides to drop a large branch on my house :( Anyway after seeing this thread this morning I took a break from my telecons and took a few shots. This one is my favorite - while it's not exactly a picture of my front yard, I declare that all the trees in the background are in my front yard... ;) In the background, you can also see the roof of a house across the street, and some glimpses of the water (Pittwater, the inland side of this peninsula).

Kookaburra on the top deck

JohnR

Bob in St. Louis

• Volunteer
  • "Introverted Basement Dwelling Troll"
« Reply #14 on: 6 Aug 2008, 11:15 am »
Hey Bob....how close is your nearest neighbor ? Looks like your off on your own with that photo....nice house as well. :wink:

Dang Bob, what a location!  Nice!
Thanks guys!
The nearest house is about 300 feet directly in front of mine. The only time I can see it is in the wintertime when the leaves are gone. I'll round up a TerraServer aerial image later. It's a pretty cool view that really gives a good idea of how far out I am compaired to an average subdivision.
Yes, it's very secluded, but I still dream of being further out in the sticks.
I used to think my "neighborhood" was quite, but after spending a week in the Rocky mountains, I now realise the TRUE definition of a low noise floor.  :lol:
You can darn near hear your heartbeat standing outside.

Bob

TomS

« Reply #15 on: 6 Aug 2008, 12:17 pm »
Great thread!

OK, I'm stretching the request a little due to some recent, though minor, misery - this is really my back yard, altered somewhat as of a storm a couple days ago.  So much for living in the woods.  Wiped out my wood fence, neighbor's link fence and another 4-5 trees in his lot, plus the Rainbow playset is on the verge of collapse (it is a strong beast though) while the tree gets cut up .  But on the bright side, there's some nice black walnut for somebody... 

Tom

Tubes 4 Ever

« Reply #16 on: 6 Aug 2008, 12:30 pm »
WOW.......I hope nobody was around when it happened. I use to live with some 50 plus year old maples that scared the day light out of me during storms.

TomS

« Reply #17 on: 6 Aug 2008, 12:46 pm »
I can be counted as one who really does hate trees  :o  I own two homes, both on heavily wooded lots and it never ends.  I like what I see from Art's porch  :wink:

arthurs

« Reply #18 on: 6 Aug 2008, 12:48 pm »
Holy cow Tom, glad no one was hurt...that's an incredible picture....

I agree, this is a really cool thread...

sts9fan

« Reply #19 on: 6 Aug 2008, 01:35 pm »
Which lake?  I just spent 10 days on Wawasee