iPhone 3G

gary

iPhone 3G
« on: 13 Jul 2008, 12:30 am »
Anyone else get a 3G iPhone this weekend? I waited in line today for about 2.5 hours to get one today and I'm glad I did, this is definitely a "how did I ever live without this?" kind of gadget. I'll miss push email and the somewhat faster typing that my blackberry pearl offered but that's about it, the iPhone is far superior in just about every aspect. Also, I've only loaded up one cd so far but the sound quality is great with my ultimate ears triple fi's.

gary

gary

Re: iPhone 3G
« Reply #1 on: 13 Jul 2008, 01:55 am »
I have the older model and love it.  I plan on getting the upgrade early this coming week. 

Did you have any trouble activating it?

Nope, they insisted that the phone be activated in the store and it took about 5 minutes. Of course getting the plan set up and purchasing it took more than 10 minutes before I even got to that point, but all things considered it wasn't bad. One nice thing is that the battery was fully charged right out of the box so I didn't have to wait to charge it at all so I left the store using it.

Gary

JohnR

« Reply #2 on: 13 Jul 2008, 02:25 am »
I will probably get one. My phone got pinched when I was traveling recently so I have an excuse... I played w/ one in a store yesterday, but I need to figure out which of the 75 different plans to get :(

Toka

« Reply #3 on: 13 Jul 2008, 04:20 am »
Most of the big features are in the new firmware (which the old iPhone can use), but the A-GPS and plastic body (helps reception) are too cool to ignore. The App Store (again, can be used by old phones) is the big deal, though...hows about free Pandora radio wherever you go? Need a pink noise generator? Its there. Guitar tuning? Its there. Can't wait to see what happens 6 months, a year from now...

modwright

• Industry Contributor
    • ModWright Instruments
« Reply #4 on: 13 Jul 2008, 04:27 am »
Curious guys, I know that this thing will do just about everything, but what about Skype and calling while traveling abroad?  I am going to be in HK soon and Europe more next year as well as domestic travel.  Do you buy SIM cards or can you use Skype?  I am presuming that if you are able to access a WiFi site, then you can go online wherever in the world you are and use Skype or other kind of VOIP.  Any comments or experience here?  Better idea than a Blackberry for the same purpose?

Thanks,

Dan W.

JohnR

« Reply #5 on: 13 Jul 2008, 09:58 am »
I'll miss push email

BTW, what is "push email"?

JohnR

« Reply #6 on: 13 Jul 2008, 10:10 am »
Oh, I get it (I think). You have to go check your email with the iPhone, instead of it just showing up and alerting you - ?

Crimson

« Reply #7 on: 13 Jul 2008, 12:49 pm »
Curious guys, I know that this thing will do just about everything, but what about Skype and calling while traveling abroad?  I am going to be in HK soon and Europe more next year as well as domestic travel.  Do you buy SIM cards or can you use Skype?  I am presuming that if you are able to access a WiFi site, then you can go online wherever in the world you are and use Skype or other kind of VOIP.  Any comments or experience here?  Better idea than a Blackberry for the same purpose?

Thanks,

Dan W.

VoIP may become available via an AppStore download (if it's not already available), but is not a feature of the current firmware.

Oh, I get it (I think). You have to go check your email with the iPhone, instead of it just showing up and alerting you - ?

Push email is sent (pushed) to the mobile device by the email server, as opposed to the mobile device periodically checking for email on the server.

TheChairGuy

« Reply #8 on: 13 Jul 2008, 02:32 pm »

Thanks,

Dan W.

Hey Dan - I never thought of that which you thinking...about SKYPE.

I use SKYPE all the time on the road (from my 'puter), but I suspect on could SKYPE from your cell by accessing the web browser  :roll:  Maybe not tho...at least on my Blackberry, the processor speed would be insufficient (I just tried to download the software to the Blackberry and could not).

Wow - I saw the lines at the local Apple store for the new phone - I was shocked  :o (a phone for me is not en emotional thing, so the thought of being first to have one model of waiting 3 hours to pay $200-400 in line isn't my cup o' tea).  But, wow, this must be some phone for dozens of folks to be lined up waiting for it (it was pitch perfect 65-70 degrees the past two days, so no one suffered at all).

I wasn't much impressed by the 1st generation unit (for my needs, the Blackberry Curve won out handily), but I'll have t look more intensely at the new one.  Having a combo phone, portable (fast) web browser and 16mb (tho I keep waiting for 32mb flash memory as I need Apple Lossless tracks...snotty audiophool ya' know  :wink:) music server is a potentially very cool thing.

I have AT&T already - so the switch would be relatively easy.

Does anyone know if it synchronizes to Outlook as easily as Blackberry does?  (I still use a PC)

John

ted_b

• Volunteer
  • "we're all bozos on this bus" F.T.
« Reply #9 on: 13 Jul 2008, 02:50 pm »
My 17 yr old son just got a job at Walgreens (good for him; very long story but we're really proud he went out and found a job this summer on his own...very proud).  We're all on AT&T, and his curent phone is a flip razr-looking LG phone..which has horrible reception in/near the house, and has no qwerty keyboard for texting.  He is very excited about buying the new iPhone and says ius cool, has a qwerty keyboard, replaces his iPod (which he'll sell to a buddy), etc.  My concern?  Chatter is that his monthly costs could skyrocket with more expensive text costs, internet, etc.??  For those who've already scoped out the AT&T plans am I well-founded here or will he find something reasonable.  His current monthlies (I pay the first $50) are around $65.  Thx

mcullinan

« Reply #10 on: 13 Jul 2008, 03:53 pm »
I have the 1st phone and just upgraded to v 2.0 and its the bomb! I downloaded 2 games, Monkey ball, which uses the phones component that tells the angle of the phone, you roll a ball to a goal getting bananas along the way,, Fun.. and Critter crunch.. like Bejeweled i guess, very fun and addicting. I also downloaded Apples remote, but havent used it yet. I will though. I love the phone. I guess the major differences between version 1 and 3G are the download speed and battery life?
Great stuff. It must be good look at how many companies are copying the iphone look, but I doubt they will be able to match the intuitive functionality of apple.
Mike

Crimson

« Reply #11 on: 13 Jul 2008, 04:37 pm »
I have the 1st phone and just upgraded to v 2.0 and its the bomb! I downloaded 2 games, Monkey ball, which uses the phones component that tells the angle of the phone, you roll a ball to a goal getting bananas along the way,, Fun.. and Critter crunch.. like Bejeweled i guess, very fun and addicting. I also downloaded Apples remote, but havent used it yet. I will though. I love the phone. I guess the major differences between version 1 and 3G are the download speed and battery life?
Great stuff. It must be good look at how many companies are copying the iphone look, but I doubt they will be able to match the intuitive functionality of apple.
Mike

Remote is da bomb!

Better, faster, more reliable than either Signal or Remote Buddy. With support for direct access to multiple libraries and multiple destinations via AEX's and ATV's, it's a no-brainer.

Robert57

« Reply #12 on: 13 Jul 2008, 05:02 pm »
I'm excited about the ipeng 2,0 remote software app that will supposedly control SqueezeCenter and squeezeboxen in much the same way that Apple's Remote app controls iTunes, complete with cover art and slick graphics, and I believe internet radio and maybe Squeeze Network. iPeng 1.0 has received a very enthusiastic following, even in its early plug-in state, on the Slim Devices forum. Has anyone tried this new 2.0 app yet? I hope to get an iPhone soon to give this a go.

http://penguinlovesmusic.de/

jqp

• Volunteer
  • Each CD lovingly placed in the nOrh CD-1
« Reply #13 on: 13 Jul 2008, 05:38 pm »
My 17 yr old son just got a job at Walgreens (good for him; very long story but we're really proud he went out and found a job this summer on his own...very proud).  We're all on AT&T, and his curent phone is a flip razr-looking LG phone..which has horrible reception in/near the house, and has no qwerty keyboard for texting.  He is very excited about buying the new iPhone and says ius cool, has a qwerty keyboard, replaces his iPod (which he'll sell to a buddy), etc.  My concern?  Chatter is that his monthly costs could skyrocket with more expensive text costs, internet, etc.??  For those who've already scoped out the AT&T plans am I well-founded here or will he find something reasonable.  His current monthlies (I pay the first $50) are around $65.  Thx

Yes you are correct - the initial price of the phone pales in significance, like buying a free Gilette razor with the blades.

My view is that you want the 16GB because of all the new apps that will take memory. That is probably the big new thing, in the end, with this phone. Also you want 16GB if you are going to use it as an iPhone. So that's $299.

But the plans are all more expensive than the iPhone 1 plans were, which negates any cost savings on the initial phone purchase over the course of the mandatory 2 year contract.

There is an activation fee also, not sure if AT&T cutomers have to pay that

$30/month of any plan goes for the mandatory data plan, which is unlimited, and you will want to make sure you have 3G available in your area to take advantage of all the good stuff.

And no text messages are included!

For my situation (I use the phone for work for several hours a day at times) I would need to spend $135/month to be safe - unlimited voice and data plus 200 texts.

It looks as if he would now be paying more per month than you (>$50)!

Here is the plan breakdown amidst the 'iPhone FAQ'

http://gizmodo.com/5021671/iphone-faq-update

jqp

• Volunteer
« Reply #14 on: 13 Jul 2008, 05:58 pm »
By the way, I have been waiting for a year to get this - my cell phone contract has now expired so I can just walk in and get one...not quite. The line was longer on Saturday and Sunday in Charlotte than on Friday, at least according to the Apple store reps. The big iBrick snafu has negated my plans to have one over the weekend. Hopefully Monday or Tuesday.

Rashiki

« Reply #15 on: 13 Jul 2008, 06:38 pm »
There are two things that keep me from getting an iPhone:
  • The plan. For my use, I'd need the $70/month plus at least the $5 messaging pack. I have a plan on Sprint that gives me more minutes (500) and unlimited messaging and data for $30.
  • I want an application platform that isn't so strictly controlled. The only way to get apps for the iPhone is through the iPhone store and that doesn't sit right with me. Apple could decide that they don't want some guy to give away for free an app he's created because they plan on selling one just like it.

But it's a nice phone. If either one of my issues were resolved, I'd probably get one.

-Rob

ted_b

• Volunteer
  • "we're all bozos on this bus" F.T.
« Reply #16 on: 13 Jul 2008, 06:47 pm »
JQP, thank you very much for all that!   He gets to learn his first real financial lesson.   :)

jqp

• Volunteer
« Reply #17 on: 13 Jul 2008, 06:49 pm »
By the way, I have been waiting for a year to get this - my cell phone contract has now expired so I can just walk in and get one...not quite. The line was longer on Saturday and Sunday in Charlotte than on Friday, at least according to the Apple store reps. The big iBrick snafu has negated my plans to have one over the weekend. Hopefully Monday or Tuesday.

Wow this is a little scary

KTLA 'Reporter' Makes Fun of iPhone Line-Sitters, Gets Called a Jackass on Live TV

http://gizmodo.com/5024692/ktla-reporter-makes-fun-of-iphone-line+sitters-gets-called-a-jackass-on-live-tv

mcullinan

« Reply #18 on: 13 Jul 2008, 10:46 pm »
You are paying significantly less with the 1st iphone per month which is a big advantage if you dont mind the slower speeds when not near a wifi spot.

Also the activation/connection problem occurred until Friday early evening then everything went fine.
Mike

gary

« Reply #19 on: 14 Jul 2008, 12:01 am »
I didn't think the 1st gen iPhone would be a worthwhile upgrade over my Pearl, but the 3G absolutely is. Real web browsing on the go, gps, wifi instead of 3G when it's available, it doubles as a great MP3 player, has pretty good potential for gaming, and the new apps open up lots of potential. For instance, last night I bought a program for $2 that shows you the nearest movie theaters based on your location, lists movies with reviews and showtimes, and even lets you view full trailers. Simple, but amazing. And there is a skype-like VOIP program listed in the app store, although I haven't tried it yet.

Sure the phone isn't perfect, I'd love to have select, copy & paste, typing on it is a bit of a pain, and I wish the speaker phone was a little louder but all things considered it's an amazing device.

gary