Coffee's perk.

SET Man

Coffee's perk.
« on: 24 Jun 2008, 09:45 pm »
Hey!

Here's something that coffee drinkers like myself here would be happy to know.

http://wcbstv.com/health/Coffee.heart.disease.2.750155.html

And here is the another video from my local station here in NYC...

http://wcbstv.com/video/?id=113601@wcbs.dayport.com

More coffee more me please. :D Well, I do drink 1 to 3 cups a day. No, I'm not going to drink more than my usual 1 to 3 cups otherwise I will up all night  :icon_lol:

So! Guys grab a cup of your favorite coffee and enjoy. :D

Take care,
Buddy :thumb:

mcullinan

Re: Coffee's perk.
« Reply #1 on: 25 Jun 2008, 12:13 am »
Praise The Bean! Because I love a good cup of joe or two or three. :)
Expresso! Yum!
Mike :P

mike1964

« Reply #2 on: 25 Jun 2008, 01:23 am »
I recently found some fantastic coffee:
http://www.terroircoffee.com
I brew espresso, and this is the best I've had at home.  Truly exceptional.

jeffreybehr

• Volunteer
« Reply #3 on: 25 Jun 2008, 03:36 pm »
I too love strong coffee*, and since I've been retired (over 10 years now), I drink about 8 cups a day.  At home it's always decaf, but the local (Phoenix) Good Egg restaurants have a rotating bunch of flavored, 'gourmet' coffees.  They brew a pot just for me, using twice as much coffee, and I drink most of it, so I guess I drink maybe a dozen cups per day.

I use Gevalia http://www.gevalia.com/Gevalia/partners/performics_dual.aspx?keycode=114290 at home, 4 parts french roast and 3 parts chocolate/raspberry.  The FR is rich, full-bodied, even heavy tasting, and I LOVE it.

* I drink an expresso and coffee during intermissions of concerts--helps keep me awake (I think).

bpape

• Industry Participant
  • I am serious and don't call my Shirley
    • Sensible Sound Solutions
« Reply #4 on: 25 Jun 2008, 03:44 pm »
My favorite

http://www.cafedumonde.com/coffee.html

Great in the morning to get you moving and wonderful of an evening with a bit of Kahlua

Bryan

JLM

• The elephant normally IS the room
« Reply #5 on: 25 Jun 2008, 04:20 pm »
Coffee (and a benoit) from the Cafe DuMonde is required when visiting New Orleans.  Just have a bib for all the sugar that comes off the benoit.

Everything served in New Orleans is very strong, including this coffee that is heavily laced with chickory.  Can't imagine sleeping after an evening cup.

konut

• Came for the value, stayed for the drama
« Reply #6 on: 25 Jun 2008, 04:36 pm »
Coffee (and a benoit) from the Cafe DuMonde is required when visiting New Orleans.  Just have a bib for all the sugar that comes off the benoit.

Everything served in New Orleans is very strong, including this coffee that is heavily laced with chickory.  Can't imagine sleeping after an evening cup.

Did you mean beignet?

Thebiker

« Reply #7 on: 25 Jun 2008, 04:44 pm »
And while you sip your coffee at Cafe Dumonde, you can enjoy the street musician of the day, and it does seem to vary by the day, at least on my last pre-Katrina trip.  Of course there is always the view from there, church across the square, hookers at the next table....damn, I love that town :icon_twisted:.

Walt

bpape

• Industry Participant
  • I am serious and don't call my Shirley
    • Sensible Sound Solutions
« Reply #8 on: 25 Jun 2008, 05:02 pm »
Yup - great place. 

I can get it all the time as my local grocery store carries it.

Bryan

Tyson

• Audio - It's all a big fake.
« Reply #9 on: 25 Jun 2008, 05:39 pm »
I always wondered why my home coffee kinda sucked in comparison to the coffee houses, till I got 2 pieces of equipment that made all the difference - Kitchenaid Burr Grinder:

And the Aeropress, kind of a vaccuum based reverse style french press.  Makes great coffee every time:

hurdy_gurdyman

« Reply #10 on: 25 Jun 2008, 06:22 pm »
I have a KitchenAid Pro Grinder and agree that it makes all the difference. I use vacuum brewers, which make an excellent cup of brew. I'm into doing my own roasting these days, which is better than anything else I've tried. Something about coffee brewed just a few hours or days before grinding it...
I average about 5-6 small mugs a day. High quality coffee doesn't have the caffeine kick canned coffee has so you can drink more without problems. Not as much problems with heartburn/stomach acid, either. 8)

Dave :green:

dwk

« Reply #11 on: 25 Jun 2008, 07:00 pm »

I just upgraded my 'coffee infrastructure' recently. I went with the Capresso MT-500 (since we need a timer) and the Breville Burr grinder (since I don't do espresso, this seems to be all I'll need). both have definitely improved our coffee experience. Watch out for QC on the Capresso though - I had to return the first one as it leaked.

However, the Aeropress may be the star of the show. I stumbled across it when researching, and was surprised that I hadn't heard of it before. Relatively quick and easy for a single-cup quantity, it really makes good stuff. And it also makes great iced coffee - something I never bothered with before since it was a pain, and regular brewed coffee wasn't really strong enough.  At $30, highly recommended.

bummrush

« Reply #12 on: 25 Jun 2008, 07:55 pm »
Jeffrebehr,sweet having the restaurant make you a special pot,most coffee tastes like crap is because enough grounds aren't used.

Demarche

« Reply #14 on: 25 Jun 2008, 08:35 pm »
:scratch: Not sure how I did that  :scratch:
the links were suppose to be...
http://www.longbottomcoffee.com/default.cfm?
 and
http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=56765.0

Spidey9534

« Reply #15 on: 1 Aug 2008, 04:50 pm »
I've been using a Braun grinder for years with perfect results and a Bodum french press. I have the one cup model and the bigger one for when guests are over.

My current favorite beans  'Hair Bender' are roasted by another NW Company finally penetrating the Seattle market called StumpTown Coffee Roasters that I fell in love with when I lived in Portland, OR, so UN-Starbucks. They roast all their beans daily which makes all the differance IMHO. They also serve even there most humble regular joe via french press method.

http://stumptowncoffee.com/

Cheers,

Philistine

« Reply #16 on: 1 Aug 2008, 06:04 pm »
I researched grinders a few years when my Italian blade grinder died, and was shocked to read that the coffee sites recommended expensive burr grinders for good espresso/cappuccino.  Well they were right, I bought a Rancilio Rocky $380 burr grinder (considered to be the entry level grinder) and grinding is the key.  Burr grinders produce a very consistent grind, which is one of the essentials for good Italian coffee.

I've found low cost blade grinders to work fine for filter and French press coffee. 

satfrat

• Restricted
  • Boston Red Sox!! 2004 / 2007 / 2013
« Reply #17 on: 1 Aug 2008, 06:23 pm »

I average about 5-6 small mugs a day. High quality coffee doesn't have the caffeine kick canned coffee has so you can drink more without problems. Not as much problems with heartburn/stomach acid, either. 8)

Dave :green:

Boy that's just the opposite caffine reaction that I'm getting from my freshly roasted coffee beans. :scratch: I usually only drink 2 cups a day but in reality the second cup is overkill. The second cup is strictly for the flavor. aa But I'm with ya on the acidity heartburn deal. :thumb: I burr grinder is a must have for a flavorable cup of coffee. The beans must be sliced, not crushed as crushing destroys flavor & increases acidity. I use an italian burr grinder, a La Pavoli PA-BURR-B .

I use a simple Braun 4-cup Aromaster KF 12. I also use a Swissgold gold filter, no paper to influence the coffee for me. And absolutely no expresso! :lol:

Cheers,
Robin

Lsharptec1

« Reply #18 on: 22 Aug 2008, 08:48 pm »
Guys,

I like to blend beans from several parts of the world, and fresh grind them before brewing.

My favorite beans include ... Kenya AA, Sumatra, Costa Rice, and Philippine Baraka.   :drool:

Larry

Night_Train

« Reply #19 on: 22 Aug 2008, 10:45 pm »
High quality coffee doesn't have the caffeine kick canned coffee has so you can drink more without problems. Not as much problems with heartburn/stomach acid, either. 8)

The heartburn/acid is a result of the "robusta" coffee bean that the canneries use in order to stretch the good stuff (i.e. arabica bean) further. Kinda like what can be done with a good pound of hamburger in order for it to go the distance. Thus, all canners use high percentages of this robusta bean in conjunction with relatively smaller amounts of high quality arabica beans.

You probably have already guessed that this is for saving money because arabica is proportionately higher in cost than robusta. When I last bought some "green" robusta for roasting it was about $1.25 lb and I'm not a larger buyer like the canneries. This is in stark contrast to about $5.00 for some of the quality green arabica which some can be had for a little less or a lot more depending on the origin.

Most of this heartburn generating robusta is now being imported from Vietnam and smaller amounts from elsewhere. I like to call this bean Vietnamese swamp water. This bean is basically grown in swamp lands at very low altidudes compared to the good arabicas beans where they are grown at very high altitudes.

The robusta bean also has a very high caffeine content compared to the arabica bean. Night and day difference between the two coffee beans in caffeine content. So with the high concentrate of robusta beans being ground and added to very small amounts of arabica by the canneries, it most assuredly is a recipe for stomach acid. I also like to call this canned coffee "hell juice."

Depending on east or west geographical location, robusta is also used in making espresso. It is most commonly used in the "Italian" style of espresso that is common on the east coast. The robusta is used as a blender bean to create the requisite oils under high pressure to produce the fine golden crema which is the trademark of Italian espresso.The west coast uses a different method for their espresso and at last glance they were not using robusta bean in their brews. Again, too much of this Italian style espresso will be hard on the stomach also.

Just some tidbits of information for anyone that may be interested.