Coffee's perk.

Mag

Re: Coffee's perk.
« Reply #20 on: 12 Oct 2008, 12:41 am »
I ran out of Coffeemate the other day. So I bought another brand at confectionary the other day on the way home from work.

It's not coffee without Coffeemate! And the light calorie reduced stuff, tastes like crap, so that's original recipe. 8)

I switch from either 100% Columbian or Arabic, that way I don't get bored with the flavours.

TerryO

« Reply #21 on: 12 Oct 2008, 04:07 am »
What a bunch of touchy-feely Yuppie Wimps!

Real men just toss a handful of coffee beans into their mouth, chew em up and then wash it down with boiling water!
 :green:

Best Regards,
Terry "No Throat" Olson

jimdgoulding

« Reply #22 on: 12 Oct 2008, 01:10 pm »
Damn straight.  A cupa Joe and I'm ready to kick some ass!!  What my wife says. 

PhilNYC

« Reply #23 on: 12 Oct 2008, 01:24 pm »
I haven't found a drip coffee maker that gets the water to a hot temperature...so I do the percolator thing...

2bigears

« Reply #24 on: 12 Oct 2008, 01:26 pm »
:D  i hear they make a 300B tubed coffee machine now where the brew is soooo smooth ya don't need any fuel based whitener. leaves ss machines in the dust.:drool: :D

loki1957

« Reply #25 on: 12 Oct 2008, 01:35 pm »
I haven't found a drip coffee maker that gets the water to a hot temperature...so I do the percolator thing...

get a Bunn

mikef

« Reply #26 on: 12 Oct 2008, 02:26 pm »
Try the Newco OCS-12, which brews the coffee at the optimal 195-205 degrees F (many coffee makers don't get anywhere near that temperature). It has a thermal carafe that keeps the coffee hot for hours without using a hotplate, which can scorch the coffee and also wastes electricity. This has been one of the greatest purchases I've made in recent months - the coffee it brews is fantastic.

It's available from Newco: http://www.newcocoffee.com/brewers/series_ocs.html.
Mention the Green Coffee Buying Club group purchase and you'll get a discount (I think it's around $100 shipped).

Mike Fox

PhilNYC

« Reply #27 on: 12 Oct 2008, 04:40 pm »
That Newco looks pretty good...the heating unit is 1400watts (vs. the Bunn's 800watts), so it does sound like its serious about getting the water to the right temperature.  Too bad it has an attached power cord...otherwise, I could use it to burn in my audio power cords... :lol:

I will say that even though percolators are considered to be blasphemous among some coffee aficionados (liquid is not supposed to pass thru the grinds more than once), the fact that they get the temperature right has been a far bigger factor in my coffee enjoyment than what I used to get with my old drip machine.

jimdgoulding

« Reply #28 on: 13 Oct 2008, 12:26 am »
Try the Newco OCS-12, which brews the coffee at the optimal 195-205 degrees F (many coffee makers don't get anywhere near that temperature). It has a thermal carafe that keeps the coffee hot for hours without using a hotplate, which can scorch the coffee and also wastes electricity. This has been one of the greatest purchases I've made in recent months - the coffee it brews is fantastic.

It's available from Newco: http://www.newcocoffee.com/brewers/series_ocs.html.
Mention the Green Coffee Buying Club group purchase and you'll get a discount (I think it's around $100 shipped).

Mike Fox

For one, Mike, believe I'll give this a home.  Thanks.

cryoparts

« Reply #29 on: 13 Oct 2008, 02:08 am »
Hey All,

A buddy from PS Audio turned me onto this coffee a year or so ago:

Gaylord Coffee Company
600 N. Center St.
Gaylord, MI 49735
phone: 989-732-2252

I haven't seen his operation, but my buddy tells me that he is a one man operation and does all of his roasting on site.  Apparently, he learned his trade in Costa Rica.  In any event, his Sumatra is the best I've ever had, it is phenomenal.  I need to call him and order some more...

Peace,

Lee

satfrat

• Restricted
  • Boston Red Sox!! 2004 / 2007 / 2013
« Reply #30 on: 13 Oct 2008, 02:23 am »
For 3 years now, I've been mail ordering my whole bean coffee from MochaJoes.com,,, about 80 miles from me here in Vermont. It's a small operation with 2 roasters but they buy in bulk from all around the world and specialize in Cup of Excellence winners from South America. I visited their operation last month and came back with 3lbs of their most recent Cup of Excellence purchase, El Salvador San Isidro, decribed on their site as:
"hand-picked at the peak of ripeness and then meticulously sorted for quality, the San Isidro exhibits all the qualities one would expect from a fine El Salvador. Sugar cane aromas hint at sweet tangerine and peach fruit flavors wrapped in a creamy, velvety body and finishing with lingering dark chocolate."
It's actually cheaper to mail order than it is to drive but it was my first exposer to a roaster shop and it's a smell I won't soon forget. :drool:

Cheers,
Robin

jqp

• Volunteer
  • Each CD lovingly placed in the nOrh CD-1
« Reply #31 on: 13 Oct 2008, 02:46 am »
Requirements for jqp's coffee bar

"the water and coffee fully mix for the recomended 2-4 minute brew time... and because no flavorful oils are lost to (or tainted by) a paper filter"   8)

Another good source for beans, especially for roasting at home!
http://www.sweetmarias.com/

spudco

« Reply #32 on: 13 Oct 2008, 01:26 pm »
We get our blend via UPS from a small roaster in Greensboro, NC http://www.tobaccousa.net/
It usually takes 2 days to get 10 pounds delivered.

My blend is currently sold a "Guilford Blend" and it is wonderful.  It has regular Sumatra, dark roasted Sumatra, Ethiopian and Colombian in equal amounts.  The Ethoipian gives a slight "blueberry" aroma. 

These guys roast everything themselves and are willing to do custom blends.  They also sell loads of great teas and all kinds of hot sauses, spices, speciality foods...  Most stuff isn't on their web site, but you can give them a call and order anything.