My outlet is too far away

mca

My outlet is too far away
« on: 20 Jun 2008, 06:48 am »
The closest power outlet to my system is a little less than 8' away. I sprung the dough for an 8' Black Sands Violet PC for my amp for a direct connection. I still have the following to plug in:

Modwright SWL 9.0 SE preamp
Bolder ultimate power supply for SB3
Burson Buffer
Behringer DCX2496 crossover

The question is, should I buy a conditioner to plug these items into or just a power strip?

I have been thinking about using a PS Audio Duet, Running Springs Haley, Balanced Power Tech CPC or something as simple as a Naim power strip or PS Audio Juicebar.

I don't mind spending the extra dough if it will net any improvement.

Any comments or suggestions?

satfrat

• Restricted
  • Boston Red Sox!! 2004 / 2007 / 2013
Re: My outlet is too far away
« Reply #1 on: 20 Jun 2008, 08:29 am »
There's only 1 way to find out what will work you you in your system and for your listening preferences and that's to try a conditioner. A power strip will get you extra outlets and that's about it as far as I'm concerned but for some folks that's enough. For me, balanced power in the form of a BPT has works wonders for me in my system. No one can tell you what will work for you. I get frustrated when I try and recommend what has worked for me only to find that it's not doing the same thing for someone else. What I'm saying is folks will recommend what works for them but that's no guarantee that you'll have the same results. Have a good journey. :D

Cheers,
Robin

woodsyi

• Volunteer
  • Always Look on the Bright Side of Life!
« Reply #2 on: 20 Jun 2008, 11:52 am »
What about adding another (dedicated) outlet?

Occam

« Reply #3 on: 20 Jun 2008, 02:24 pm »
MCA,

If you're amenable to DIY you might consider building Felixs specific for your needs -
http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=50790.0
http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=25757.200

Given the low current draw of your source components, you can provide substantial filtering without compromising dynamics.
Because of its switching power supply, the DCX2496 merits its own Felix, and the others could share a larger Felix, with a slight decrease in efficacy, but a far simpler implementation.

If you're not into DIY, the Running Springs and BPT products are excellent products. The Duet is good but IMO, not up to their performance which costs substantially more. The Audience single outlet Adept is also excellent, which you could use to feed an outlet bar.

While I understand the technical minutiae of power filtering, I really can't offer any reasons why power cords, their connectors, and outlets have a substantial impact on the sound quality, but they do.

FWIW,
Paul

ArthurDent

• Don't Panic / Mostly Harmless
« Reply #4 on: 20 Jun 2008, 02:44 pm »
Hey Mike,

Just a thought fwiw, you might also check out the various offerings from Furman. I first saw their power strips at Definitive in U Dist. Did some i-net checking, ended up at American Music Seattle, in Fremont. Turns out they're primarily an instrument store, but one of the local reps. My entire listening room was on one 15 amp breaker, with limited (3) outlets in the 12' x 25' room. I picked up the PF-15i which has dedicated A/V, Amp, & misc connections, with a 12v trigger switching for optional switched/unswitched for half. The folks at American sent me to the distributors up in the U District to pick it up, so I could take it home that day. Nice people, all.

As noted earlier elsewhere with regards to equipment in general, can't speak to how it compares with the noted powerstrips & conditioners, but specs looked good/comparable to me. It solved my 2 channel/HT outlet quandary (4-audio, 4-video, 4-amp). The 15i is probably more than you need, but they do have other smaller units. You can take a good look at it when we do the listening session. More on that over on that thread soon. My unit only has a 6' cord, but was able to tweak the setup to make it work with the new circuit dropped into the room during current work & the furniture configuration.

Good hunting, see you soon.  :thumb:

JD

Randy

« Reply #5 on: 20 Jun 2008, 03:10 pm »
I have/had the same problem. My outlet is also about 8 feet away on a sidewall. I used a Running Springs Haley successfully for many years, even plugging two high current mono blocks into it. Worked well and provided the best power conditioning I could find after having tried many alternatives over the years. Now I have taken the "off the grid" approach, and my speakers make even better sounds, but I recommend highly the Running Springs products.

goldlizsts

• Let Music Flow!
« Reply #6 on: 20 Jun 2008, 05:01 pm »
The closest power outlet to my system is a little less than 8' away. I sprung the dough for an 8' Black Sands Violet PC for my amp for a direct connection. I still have the following to plug in:

Modwright SWL 9.0 SE preamp
Bolder ultimate power supply for SB3
Burson Buffer
Behringer DCX2496 crossover

The question is, should I buy a conditioner to plug these items into or just a power strip?

I have been thinking about using a PS Audio Duet, Running Springs Haley, Balanced Power Tech CPC or something as simple as a Naim power strip or PS Audio Juicebar.

I don't mind spending the extra dough if it will net any improvement.

Any comments or suggestions?

Beware that whatever  you put in between the wall and your system will/may alter the sound signature significantly.  For example, you mentioned a Duet, which I presume is the PS Audio Duet.  Some of us had it when it was new in the market, costing $300 a pop.  It zapped the high frequencies out of the air.  The sound became dull.  Some raved about it.  So, it may cost you bucks to find out that it doesn't work.

Asians, Chinese in particular, at least in the past generations, believe in the holy spirit (why should they be different).  They have a saying that "You add an urn*, you add a ghost!".  * urns are used to hold incenses, full of ashes from them burning.  Good  luck. :thumb:

twitch54

« Reply #7 on: 20 Jun 2008, 05:13 pm »

best recomendation yet ! while conditioners and outlet strips can work, dedicated circuits are without doubt the BEST way to go. You can then condition them if you so desire.

satfrat

• Restricted
« Reply #8 on: 20 Jun 2008, 05:24 pm »

best recomendation yet ! while conditioners and outlet strips can work, dedicated circuits are without doubt the BEST way to go. You can then condition them if you so desire.

Not true, dedicated circuits still allow other household appliances into the circuit via the breaker box. A dedicated circuit does help but it doesn't totally isolate your system from circuit grunge like an isolation transformer does. aa

Cheers,
Robin

SET Man

« Reply #9 on: 21 Jun 2008, 03:08 am »
Hey!

This reminded me of my previous apartment. :D

Well, there was one 20A outlet on it own breaker in that place but it was 25 feet away from my room. So, I went to Home Depot and bought 12ga Carol cord some cheap Wattgate plug and IEC and ran the whole system that way. :D

Works great! Definitely much better than running my system from all those 15A outlets in the room of which share the same line as the next room :D

Sadly my current apartment doesn't have any 20A outlet. But I do have one 15A outlet that doesn't have any outlet shared on it line. :D So, the sound is still good. :D

Take care,
Buddy :thumb:

sturgus

satfrat

• Restricted
« Reply #11 on: 21 Jun 2008, 03:32 am »
Hey!

This reminded me of my previous apartment. :D

Well, there was one 20A outlet on it own breaker in that place but it was 25 feet away from my room. So, I went to Home Depot and bought 12ga Carol cord some cheap Wattgate plug and IEC and ran the whole system that way. :D

Works great! Definitely much better than running my system from all those 15A outlets in the room of which share the same line as the next room :D

Sadly my current apartment doesn't have any 20A outlet. But I do have one 15A outlet that doesn't have any outlet shared on it line. :D So, the sound is still good. :D

Take care,

And when I installed my 20A dedicated circuit, it was a big improvement over the power issues I had been putting up with for years in this old house BUT the gains were pale in comparison to when I obtained my BPT. So for me and in my system, a dedicated circuit was a step in the right direction but it wasn't even close to being the best in power conditioning. :D

Cheers,
Robin

satfrat

• Restricted
« Reply #12 on: 21 Jun 2008, 03:38 am »

sturgus

« Reply #13 on: 21 Jun 2008, 03:44 am »
Thanks for the heads up. :D A BPT is in my future. Which model are you using?
Sturgus

satfrat

• Restricted
« Reply #14 on: 21 Jun 2008, 03:46 am »
Not a problem. I get a chuckle how the price always doubles or more when the word "audiophile grade" is put in front of a product.  :lol:

I use a highly modified BP2.5 for my whole A/V system. I haven't had any issues with oversaturation,,,, yet. :D

Cheers,
Robin

SET Man

« Reply #15 on: 21 Jun 2008, 05:01 am »
Try this Naim strip. Can not be beat for the price.
Sturgus
http://item.express.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ExpressItem&item=180255798464&FROM_MERCHANDIZING=1QQssPageNameZKP_Merch_CLOSED_ITEM_SIMILAR_LINK

Yes it can and by over 50%! http://www.alliedelec.com/Search/ProductDetail.aspx?SKU=5339218&MPN=L10320&R=5339218&SEARCH=5339218&DESC=L10320

This is the same power strip and I use it as an outlet extension for my BPT. :thumb:

Cheers,
Robin

Hey!

Hmmm.... maybe Naim's version have magic beans in it that why it cost more?  :scratch:

Maybe? :jester:

Take care,

satfrat

• Restricted
« Reply #16 on: 21 Jun 2008, 05:36 am »
Try this Naim strip. Can not be beat for the price.
Sturgus
http://item.express.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ExpressItem&item=180255798464&FROM_MERCHANDIZING=1QQssPageNameZKP_Merch_CLOSED_ITEM_SIMILAR_LINK

Yes it can and by over 50%! http://www.alliedelec.com/Search/ProductDetail.aspx?SKU=5339218&MPN=L10320&R=5339218&SEARCH=5339218&DESC=L10320

This is the same power strip and I use it as an outlet extension for my BPT. :thumb:

Cheers,
Robin

Hey!

Hmmm.... maybe Naim's version have magic beans in it that why it cost more?  :scratch:

Maybe? :jester:

Take care,

Gee Buddy, I'm not sure I can make it any clearer for ya. The Niam power strip is made by Wireworld and they just verify it as "audiophile grade". Nothing is added to this strip,,, it is what it is. The only thing that's added is ~53% to the cost when sold by an audiophile dealer.  :green:

Oh yeah, there is an error in the product description in that ad, there is no circuit breakers in this strip even tho the ad says there is. I know cuz I looked. Topround has this same strip also, I saw it in his system. Pretty sweet little 9 outlet strip. :D

Cheers,
Robin

videocrew

« Reply #17 on: 23 Jun 2008, 02:39 pm »
Satfrat, I'm almost 100% certain he was kidding.

satfrat

• Restricted
« Reply #18 on: 23 Jun 2008, 03:23 pm »
Satfrat, I'm almost 100% certain he was kidding.

Ya think? aa
« Last Edit: 23 Jun 2008, 09:27 pm by satfrat »

jrokke

« Reply #19 on: 23 Jun 2008, 05:03 pm »
I was in the same boat as you with a room reconfiguration my boutique power cords were not long enough. I ended up buying the wiremold outlet for $30. At first it seemed closed in but after a day or 2 it opened up. In my opinion it does nothing wrong. The highs are just as extended and so is the bass. It actually may add a little texture in the mids. I am very happy with it