Trends Audio UD10.1 V Pop Pulse PC Link II

PurplePanties

Trends Audio UD10.1 V Pop Pulse PC Link II
« on: 15 Jun 2008, 09:01 am »
Hi

Anyone here have any experience of the above? I've been looking at buying the TA UD10 to use with my PC and now discovered the Pop Pulse does the same thing too :)

Looking to connect it from the PC > DAC > Amp, is this a good way of extracting the digital signal from the PC or are there other/better options?

Thanks

pardales

Re: Trends Audio UD10.1 V Pop Pulse PC Link II
« Reply #1 on: 15 Jun 2008, 11:27 am »
I used the Trends for a couple years and thought it and excellent USB-SPDIF converter.

satfrat

• Restricted
  • Boston Red Sox!! 2004 / 2007 / 2013
« Reply #2 on: 15 Jun 2008, 06:59 pm »
I presently use a Trends UD 10.1 USB transport that has the Channel Island VDC-SB power supply hooked up to it via a Bolder Cables Nitro DC cable and a Kimber USB cable to my HTPC. I use a Crystal Cable Digit from the Trends to my Sunfire processor. I also use a J River Media Center 12 that has a builtin Asioforall for use with my Windows XP. I simply love this setup when compared to using my M-Audio Revolution 7 soundcard/DFX Audio Enhancer which had replaced my CDP. For the price, it's a hard setup to beat all tho for several hundreds more, there are better USB units. I've never heard of the Pop Pulse but after looking it up, I see it'll pass 96Khz. The Trends will only handle 48Khz which for me isn't an issue as the digital signal is being processed in Dolby Pro Logic 2x by my Sunfire anyways. But if you're using a standalone DAC and have 96Khz material, the Cryoparts USB may be more to your liking. That unit also has Optical out while the Trends does not. :D

Cheers,
Robin

PurplePanties

« Reply #3 on: 15 Jun 2008, 08:12 pm »
Sorry, I should've provided a link to the above  :duh:

Anyway, your info regarding the J River MC 12 with the builtin Asioforall is interesting. I use J River's Jukebox to rip my CDs to FLAC at the moment for which I am very happy with, apart from Window changing the bit-rate to 48Khz.

If JR MC12 can output digital signal to 44.1Khz, then I may very well upgrade to MC12 just for that alone :)

As to the Trend UD10 itself, thanks Pardales and Satfrat for your info/experience of the unit, it's very much appreciated. I think I am leaning towards the Pop Pulse because of the added feature of the unit, especially ability to sample up to 96Khz and the optical out feature :)

The only downside is it's not as pretty as the Trend...

Here's a link to the Pop Pulse if anyone is interested http://www.cryo-parts.com/pclink.html :)

cryoparts

« Reply #4 on: 15 Jun 2008, 08:40 pm »
Here's a link to the Pop Pulse if anyone is interested http://www.cryo-parts.com/pclink.html :)

I am a terrible photographer.  It actually looks nicer than my awful photo's make it look.  One would never say it was pretty though...  :lol:  It's very utilitarian!   8)

I'll try and snap some better pics of it soon.

Peace,

Lee

PurplePanties

« Reply #5 on: 22 Jun 2008, 12:07 pm »
Oops, if I knew it was you that took the photo, I'd have kept the comment to myself  :oops:

BTW, I just placed an order for one of your USB to SPDIF converter :)

cryoparts

« Reply #6 on: 22 Jun 2008, 06:42 pm »
Oops, if I knew it was you that took the photo, I'd have kept the comment to myself  :oops:

BTW, I just placed an order for one of your USB to SPDIF converter :)

:lol:  I know the photo stinks, I'm going to try shooting it on a blue or white board instead of the silver, maybe I won't get such bad reflections.

I'm not giving up my day job to be a photographer any time soon!   :duh:

Thanks for the order!  It doesn't hurt my feelings a bit when people buy my stuff.   :lol:

Peace,

Lee

SET Man

« Reply #7 on: 22 Jun 2008, 06:49 pm »

I am a terrible photographer.  It actually looks nicer than my awful photo's make it look.  One would never say it was pretty though...  :lol:  It's very utilitarian!   8)

Peace,

Lee

Hey!

Your background is fine. You just need a softer lighting :wink:

Take care,
Buddy :thumb:

cryoparts

« Reply #8 on: 22 Jun 2008, 06:52 pm »

Peace,

Lee

Hey!

Take care,

Sweet, thanks.  I'll try and throw a couple of ripped up sheets over the lights to soften and diffuse them.

Lee

satfrat

• Restricted
« Reply #9 on: 22 Jun 2008, 09:16 pm »

Peace,

Lee

Hey!

Take care,

Sweet, thanks.  I'll try and throw a couple of ripped up sheets over the lights to soften and diffuse them.

Lee

Or maybe just cryo the lightbulb,,,,, :lol:

cryoparts

« Reply #10 on: 22 Jun 2008, 09:39 pm »

Or maybe just cryo the lightbulb,,,,, :lol:

Hmmm, don't tempt me!   The light would be 22.6675895% more pure after cryo!  :lol:

Lee

PurplePanties

« Reply #11 on: 28 Jun 2008, 11:50 pm »
Well, my Pulse USB to SPDIF have arrived and it's very good. I have it connected to my media centre via Coaxial input with the output to 2 DACs and it sounds very good :)

The photo from the Cryo doesn't really do it justice at all, the unit is really well made and feels very solid. The design is geared towards the unit being functional rather than aesthetic :) It actually reminds me of the Audio Alchemy products from a few years ago, and we all know how good they were :)

cryoparts

« Reply #12 on: 29 Jun 2008, 12:02 am »
Well, my Pulse USB to SPDIF have arrived and it's very good. I have it connected to my media centre via Coaxial input with the output to 2 DACs and it sounds very good :)

The photo from the Cryo doesn't really do it justice at all, the unit is really well made and feels very solid. The design is geared towards the unit being functional rather than aesthetic :) It actually reminds me of the Audio Alchemy products from a few years ago, and we all know how good they were :)

Cool!

I have some new photos up that are better.  Still not great, but better.

Peace,

Lee

bbaker6212

« Reply #13 on: 24 Jul 2008, 05:25 am »
How does it sound?  Does it diminish the sound in any way of a connected DAC of very high quality?
What DAC are you using it with?  I'm looking for a good DAC of a reasonable price and was thinking I'd go with USB, but this product may allow many more choices if it does not alter the sound in any way.

earango1

Pop Pulse PC Link II Manual?
« Reply #14 on: 30 Oct 2008, 12:33 am »
Hi,

I have the  Pop Pulse PC Link II but I cannot find a manual or data sheet for it. Does anyone knows where to get it?

Thank you!

DaveC113

• Industry Contributor
  • ZenWaveAudio.com
« Reply #15 on: 30 Oct 2008, 12:55 am »
How does it sound?  Does it diminish the sound in any way of a connected DAC of very high quality?
What DAC are you using it with?  I'm looking for a good DAC of a reasonable price and was thinking I'd go with USB, but this product may allow many more choices if it does not alter the sound in any way.

I think you're better off with a USB DAC that does not convert to spdif. I currently have a Trends UD10 and Audio Alchemy DTI/XDP setup with an Audio Magic silver I2S cable connecting the two. It sounds good, but a simple 1 box solution would be nice, and I can't help but think it'll sound better as it skips an entire component and conversion process. So far I'm leaning towards building an Audio Sector USB DAC that'll set me back less than $400, based on many reviews here... haven't heard one yet though.

satfrat

• Restricted
« Reply #16 on: 30 Oct 2008, 01:06 am »

I think you're better off with a USB DAC that does not convert to spdif. I currently have a Trends UD10 and Audio Alchemy DTI/XDP setup with an Audio Magic silver I2S cable connecting the two. It sounds good, but a simple 1 box solution would be nice, and I can't help but think it'll sound better as it skips an entire component and conversion process. So far I'm leaning towards building an Audio Sector USB DAC that'll set me back less than $400, based on many reviews here... haven't heard one yet though.

Is your Trends a UD 10 or the upgraded UD 10.1? What music player are you using? What is your setup, windows, apple, etc? Are you using Asio/asioforall with your player? Do you have an upgraded power supply for your Trends? FWIW, I use a Trends UD10.1 w/Channel Island VDC-SB power supply w/Bolder Nitro DC cable. I run the Trends as a transport on my Windows XP using a Crystal Cable Digit cable to my Sunfire TG4 processor and my audio is excellent. Well it was excellent til I replaced the Kimber USB cable with a Locus Design Axis cable. Now my audio is stellar. I will say that using Asio/asioforall with my J.River Media Center is big,,,, really really big. :thumb:

Cheers,
Robin

DaveC113

• Industry Contributor
  • ZenWaveAudio.com
« Reply #17 on: 30 Oct 2008, 01:23 am »

Is your Trends a UD 10 or the upgraded UD 10.1? What music player are you using? What is your setup, windows, apple, etc? Are you using Asio/asioforall with your player? Do you have an upgraded power supply for your Trends? FWIW, I use a Trends UD10.1 w/Channel Island VDC-SB power supply w/Bolder Nitro DC cable. I run the Trends as a transport on my Windows XP using a Crystal Cable Digit cable to my Sunfire TG4 processor and my audio is excellent. Well it was excellent til I replaced the Kimber USB cable with a Locus Design Axis cable. Now my audio is stellar. I will say that using Asio/asioforall with my J.River Media Center is big,,,, really really big. :thumb:

Cheers,
Robin

Jeez, wouldn't it be nice to replace all that crap with 1 simple USB cable?  :green:

Yes, its the 10.1... I am running a grossly oversized linear regulated power supply with it.

Generic USB cable, DH Labs D-75 BNC to RCA spdif cable.

Foobar w/ ASIO4All as the player.

satfrat

• Restricted
« Reply #18 on: 30 Oct 2008, 01:34 am »

Cheers,
Robin

Jeez, wouldn't it be nice to replace all that crap with 1 simple USB cable?  :green:

Yes, its the 10.1... I am running a grossly oversized linear regulated power supply with it.

Generic USB cable, DH Labs D-75 BNC to RCA spdif cable.

Foobar w/ ASIO4All as the player.

Gee, i'm surprised you're not happy. I will say 1 thing tho, the Locus Design Axis USB cable transformed my system. I had a very detailed audio at nedium high volume but listners fatigue kept me from really cranking it up. The Axis has changed all that. On my Sunfire processor's volume control, i've gone 15db louder than I've ever done before with computer audio with the limiting factor only being my Force XL. I've had sessions up to 5 hours long at over 100db w/o any desire to turn the volume down. Who knows, maybe that generic USB cable is your weak link that's holding you back. :dunno:

Cheers,
Robin

DaveC113

• Industry Contributor
  • ZenWaveAudio.com
« Reply #19 on: 30 Oct 2008, 02:04 am »

Gee, i'm surprised you're not happy...

Cheers,
Robin

Oh, I'm happy... this transport setup is FAR better than using my Yamaha CD Burner as a transport. I just can't help but think a much simpler setup would be better. I'm a single driver / SET guy... I don't want more stuff than is necessary...  :green:

Dave