Coffee Beans - Espresso & Filter (Drip)

Philistine

Coffee Beans - Espresso & Filter (Drip)
« on: 15 Jun 2008, 12:39 am »
I have a Rancilio grinder and espresso machine (before this a Baby Gaggia) and for years bought imported espresso beans from Lavazza and Segafredo.
After researching the coffee forums I placed my first espresso bean order with Coffee Fools (Italian Light), and couldn't believe how good their coffee is in comparison:

http://www.coffeefool.com/

http://www.coffeefool.com/v/blends.htm

After my morning cappucino then its time for a mid-morning American style coffee - the Columbian Supremo hits the spot.  I tried all the big name coffee's, and this is fresher, smoother and far superior.
Delivery is fast, customer service excellent and prices good.

Still can't understand why people buy flavored coffee in the US - this is for girlies  :scratch:

SET Man

Re: Coffee Beans - Espresso & Filter (Drip)
« Reply #1 on: 15 Jun 2008, 01:06 am »
Hey!

Ahhhh..... coffee. One of life's pleasure drink. :D

I love coffee. Maybe you could even say that I'm addicted to it  :icon_lol:

I do like cappuccino but I don't have a machine at home yet. :D But I do enjoy my coffee the simpler way... the best way to some with this....

Yes, the original Bodum's "Chambord" Coffee/French press. :D

As for my beans. I do like a few different kind of beans. But my favorite so far is the Hawaiian Kona... the real one. :D But sadly it is quite expensive at $22 per pound here in NYC. :? Very smooth, great floral aroma, and got that a bit of that earthy tone to it. The other that I enjoy is Sumatra of which is more robust and earthier fuller than the Kona but a bit thicker feel to it. And the other is the Scanavian blend of which is sold at the coffee house I usually buy from. I forgot the mix but it was good all around at $10 per pound.

Actually, I just went to the coffee house today and picked up half a pound of "Java Mountain Supreme" today at $12.20 per pound. I will see if I like it tomorrow morning. :wink:

As for flavored coffee.... I admit that I like the Hazelnut favored coffee... Columbian bean in case of the place I my coffee from. Actually I like to make this in to ice coffee sometime. Hmmm... is this make me a sissy? :lol:

Oh! Here is where I pick up my coffee...

http://mcnultys.com/

McNulty's Tea & Coffee Co. Right here in downtown NYC. Been around since 1895!!!!! :o It like step back in time when you walk in to that store. With excellent selections. :D

Take care,
Buddy :thumb:

mcullinan

« Reply #2 on: 15 Jun 2008, 01:08 am »
Just ordered some. We usually get French Roast, Costa Rican, from Costco which includes their brand and sometimes Starbucks. Wife complains of the burnt taste so I had them grind it . Well see if its any better Thanks for the site. You made me spend money! grr.
Mike
O yes love the French Press, we have one. I like Starsmucks, but I can never get it to taste like theirs. Which is always yummy.

satfrat

• Restricted
  • Boston Red Sox!! 2004 / 2007 / 2013
« Reply #3 on: 15 Jun 2008, 01:11 am »
I use a La Pavoni Burr grinder myself and I grind per cup. My brewer is a simple Braun 4-cup and I use a gold filter, no paper needed. :D I get all my coffee from a local roaster, www.mochajoes.com and I'm very lucky to have such a quality roaster within the area. MochaJoe specializes in bulk purchases of Cup of Excellence beans all tho they have beans available from all over the world. Because they are a small roaster who's customers are mainly restaurants, both locally and in the Boston/NYC areas plus the ski areas inn the winter, I usually buy 4-6 pounds at a time, especially if I find a coffee that I can't live w/o and I freeze it all leaving only 1/3lb in the frig at any one time. One such coffee I've had the honor of enjoying since Christmas, that being El Salvador "Santa Sofia". I've only had 1 other coffee I enjoyed more and that was a bean from Guatemala a few years ago. Before I discovered MochaJoes, I thought the best coffee came from Columbia or Panama. I hardly touch those beans anymore. :lol:

Where most folks like their coffee in the morning to get that jumpstart, I'm just the opposite. I like a couple cups at the end of the day while I'm relaxed, listening to music, and scoping out audioCircle,,,,,, like now. aa

Cheers & Happy Father's Day weekend,
Robin

konut

• Came for the value, stayed for the drama
« Reply #4 on: 15 Jun 2008, 01:43 am »
I lived in Kona for 14 years.
http://www.konamountaincoffee.com/store/kona-coffee.asp?product_id=1010
Some of the best Peaberry going.

BobM

« Reply #6 on: 15 Jun 2008, 01:00 pm »
You're not a real coffee head until you begin roasting your own beans. Lots of good reading here about the process:

www.sweetmarias.com

I actually found a local supplier of green beans and started my obsession about 10 years ago. You just cannot find roaqsted beans that can compare, or even get roasted beans from some of the places that you can buy green beans from. Unfortunately, medically I now cannot drink caffeine anymore. I do still roas occasionally for my wife and make some decaf - but it's not the same.

Check it out, it's not a huge investment and it is a lot of fun.

Bob

ctviggen

« Reply #7 on: 15 Jun 2008, 01:22 pm »
Unfortunately, medically I now cannot drink caffeine anymore.

Why not, if you don't mind me asking?

spudco

« Reply #8 on: 15 Jun 2008, 01:36 pm »
Here is a good roaster http://www.tobaccousa.net/

They have many, many more coffees and blends than the ones on the web site, so you need to call them if you are looking for something particular.

I drink a blend they list as the "Guilford Blend".

Nick77

« Reply #9 on: 15 Jun 2008, 02:58 pm »
I fell in love yrs ago with Arabian Mocha Sanani from Peets Coffee but at $18lb its a little pricey. I recently started buying it online at Marltons coffee (http://www.marltoncoffee.com/servlet/StoreFront) at only $10.50lb. Roasted fresh when I order it and 3lbs keeps preety good till next order. Yummy! I brew one cup at a time. The Rancilio is on my wish list:)

PaulHilgeman

« Reply #10 on: 15 Jun 2008, 03:28 pm »
Agree with above.

ROAST YOUR OWN!!!

about 36 hours after the roast, the coffee hits its prime, and for about another 36 hours it is SO good, after that it fades surprisingly quickly then gets OK for about two weeks then, to a coffee snob like me gets totally stale.

Getting Sweet Marias roasted coffee via priority mail is really good if you want pre-roasted.  They only do a small batch once per week, and ship the day it is roasted.  Highly recommended for quality, not for variety.... only one specie per week.

If you do roast your own, i used an air popper for 2 years, then the Iroast2 for the past 2.5 or so.

As for machines, buy a cheaper single boiler machine, and add a PID temp controller, probably a much better investment than some of these 1-2K machines.  Personally, I use a 8 year old gaggia baby millennium, and it leaves nothing to be desired once it has the PID.

Total Espresso, Beer and Audio Geek,
Paul

santacore

« Reply #11 on: 15 Jun 2008, 03:39 pm »
Another vote for home roasting. It truly is the best tasting coffee I've had. I guess I'm biased though, because I've never been a fan of the over roasted Starbucks type taste. A nice light to medium roast works great and allows your to really taste the different characteristics of the beans. That said, I've recently tried some Whole Foods 365 brand Columbia Suprema that I thought actually tasted pretty good and it's not outrageously expensive.

bummrush

« Reply #12 on: 15 Jun 2008, 04:05 pm »
Ive been roasting for 10 yrs,none better,

datman

« Reply #13 on: 15 Jun 2008, 05:11 pm »
Granted I'm biased as I roast coffee for a living, but I have not found home roasting equipment that can duplicate coffee roasted in a commercial roaster.  I have found it is not so much the roasting but the cooling that is the problem.  If you can't quench the roasting process quickly enough, it is very hard to predict where a particular roast will wind up.   Also, it is hard for most people to avoid over roasting their beans.  This having been said, I do admire the pluck of the home roaster, and I have several who buy green coffee from me.  While roasting is far from rocket science, it is hard to do well.

A really great espresso is, in my opinion, the pinnacle of coffee.  For 20 years I have built my business around my espresso and am continually amazed at the responses I receive about it.  It is gratifying to know that my experience is appreciated. 

For those so inclined, my website (such as it is) address is:

villagecoffeeroaster.com

BobM

« Reply #14 on: 15 Jun 2008, 05:18 pm »
Unfortunately, medically I now cannot drink caffeine anymore.

Why not, if you don't mind me asking?

About 2 years ago I started developing a-fibs - heart issues that I couldn't explain. There were 3 types; skipping a beat, getting an extra beat, and true atrial fibrilations where the bottom chamber is spasiming. Now they are not medically bad, except that a-fibs can develop clots near the valve if your heart is not in decent shape. Mine is, so not very worrysome. Just take an aspirin a day and keep the blood freely moving. An a-fib is very tiresome and uncomfortable though, and can be problematic if it lasts for more than 12 hours.

Anyway, they seemed to be triggered by drinking red wine, eating chocolate and drinking coffee and Pepsi/Coke. It wasn't until I stopped drinking anything caffeinated that they went away, so I can now enjoy chocolate and red wine again.

Funny, that I don't miss the coffee as much as I thought. I do make a nice decaf expresso though and enjoy that from time to time.

Enjoy (while you can),
Bob

Gordy

« Reply #15 on: 15 Jun 2008, 07:04 pm »
PaulH

We've been down a similar path, from poppers to the I-Roast!  I've had the I-R for about 1-1/2 yrs. now and love it except for the relatively small capacity.  The big advantages I like are the programmable roasting sequences and a 5 minute cooling cycle is built in. 

I like my beans roasted a little passed city roast, if I interpret various on line photo's properly  :scratch:  What I look for is about 1/2 of the beans showing good oil, then it's right into the cooling cycle!

Gordy

SET Man

« Reply #16 on: 15 Jun 2008, 07:32 pm »
Hey!

Wow... you guys roast your own beans. Not that's hardcore coffee drinker! :lol:

I guess you could take it another step by growing your own beans! :jester: But I think I know that you guys would if you could. :D

Anyway, I don't roast my own beans but seeing that some of you guys doing this make me want to give it a try. :D

Take care,
Buddy :thumb:

PaulHilgeman

« Reply #17 on: 15 Jun 2008, 07:43 pm »
PaulH

We've been down a similar path, from poppers to the I-Roast!  I've had the I-R for about 1-1/2 yrs. now and love it except for the relatively small capacity.  The big advantages I like are the programmable roasting sequences and a 5 minute cooling cycle is built in. 

I like my beans roasted a little passed city roast, if I interpret various on line photo's properly  :scratch:  What I look for is about 1/2 of the beans showing good oil, then it's right into the cooling cycle!

Gordy

I just go until I start to see the first spots of oil on maybe 5-10% of the beans, then hit cool.  The roast will coast a bit further while the cooling cycle catches up.  Then I end with a really good roast, not sure on what it would be called exactly, but it takes me a bit into second crack, and flavor wise ends with lighter caramel flavors, that stay relatively well balanced with the spicy, sweet or earthy flavors of the beans themselves.

-Paul

bummrush

« Reply #18 on: 15 Jun 2008, 09:17 pm »
Thats just it,pretty easy ,can do it at home,if your curious buy a popcorn popper ,air roaster that is.The results are unbeatable.Go Behmor.

hurdy_gurdyman

« Reply #19 on: 25 Jun 2008, 09:12 pm »
Just found this thread. I've been a high-quality coffee drinker for over twenty years and just started roasting a couple of years ago. I use a Fresh Roast 8. Its tiny, but I only like to roast enough for a few days anyway to get that really fresh roasted taste.

When I roast, I like to roast until a small amount of the beans start getting oil on them and then switch to the cooling cycle. The roast I get is better than anything I can find locally, even a local coffee house that gets their beans shipped express right out of the oven.

Although I can appreciate the taste of a good espresso, my preferred coffee is brewed in a vacuum brewer. Have had a few starting close to twenty years ago. I have both electric and stove top vac brewers. It takes time to get just the right brew time, grind size and ground amount. Once you get it right, I haven't found anything that beats it.

I drink 5-6 small mugs a day and have no problems with caffeine. My blood pressure and pulse rate is in the good area even after drinking a couple of cups. I think this has to do with high quality beans having less caffeine than the cheaper canned coffee most people drink. Thjat stuff can kill you! :lol:

Glad to see coffee related threads.  :thumb:Its one of my three or four main hobbies.

Dave aa