Sub/sat and/or wallmount/bookshelf speaker recommendations

Canyoneagle

In a somewhat similar vein to the "new home" thread, I'd like some input on sub/sats for a new home my wife and I are building.
This home will have a finished basement theater room (YEAH!!!!) aa.  With my main system happily residing downstairs, I'm looking to set up an unobtrusive (read: sub/sat) system on the main floor - or unobtrusive monitors that can be shelf-mounted.

I plan to drive the speakers with a spare Yamaha integrated amp and will probably use an iPod/iMod as a source.  I'm looking for something that can play all kinds of music without getting annoying or harsh, so ultimate transparency is not a requirement.  This system will be for day-to-day ambience and must have the ability to pump out the jams for parties.

I have heard some very good things about the Gallo A'Diva / TR-2 combo, and am frankly not aware of other systems out there.  Advice?

Thanks in advance!
Michael
« Last Edit: 8 Jun 2008, 01:11 am by Canyoneagle »

bpape

• Industry Participant
  • I am serious and don't call my Shirley
    • Sensible Sound Solutions
Re: Sub/sat recommendations
« Reply #1 on: 7 Jun 2008, 05:28 pm »
ACI Emeralds and an ACI Force sub would be outstanding.  IMO, a huge step up from the Gallo's

Bryan

Canyoneagle

« Reply #2 on: 7 Jun 2008, 05:41 pm »
Nice recommendation!  Thanks!
At those prices it is tempting to step up to the sapphire's and one of the better subs!!!!!!!
Seems to be an incredible bang for the buck either way.

Edit - I looked a bit more into the sapphire and noticed their "double" depth - probably not an optimal choice for "low profile" use.

TerryO

« Reply #3 on: 7 Jun 2008, 06:57 pm »
In a somewhat similar vein to the "new home" thread, I'd like some input on sub/sats for a new home my wife and I are building.
This home will have a finished basement theater room (YEAH!!!!) aa.  With my main system happily residing downstairs, I'm looking to set up an unobtrusive (read: sub/sat) system on the main floor - or unobtrusive monitors that can be shelf-mounted.

I plan to drive the speakers with a spare Yamaha integrated amp and will probably use an iPod/iMod as a source.  I'm looking for something that can play all kinds of music without getting annoying or harsh, so ultimate transparency is not a requirement.  This system will be for day-to-day ambience and must have the ability to pump out the jams for parties.

I have heard some very good things about the Gallo A'Diva / TR-2 combo, and am frankly not aware of other systems out there.  Advice?

Thanks in advance!
Michael

Hi Michael,
Sounds like your wife is with you (up to a point anyhow :thumb:) so you need to have something that is aesthetically pleasing to her and also satisfies your "Inner Audiophile."

What is actually necessary is to know how big your room is, how many watts your Yamaha integrated puts out and what your budget is for the speaker system.

Are you willing or able to build some of the system or to assemble a kit? This opens up possibilities that can save you considerable money, or for the same money allows for perhaps a better system than you might otherwise purchase.

There are a lot of speakers that may fill the bill depending on what the answers are to the questions above.

Best Regards,
TerryO

Canyoneagle

« Reply #4 on: 7 Jun 2008, 07:49 pm »
Hi Terry,
As it happens, we are headed to the "model" home to measure all of the rooms, so I'll let you know.

My wife is a music lover as I am, and has happily lived with all of my systems, big and small, thus far.  At the moment, she even lets me keep my MaxHemps almost 3' in the living room!

I'll be back with dimensions.

The integrated amp is a 70w mid-sized ("high-end mini system") component, the AX-10.  It is rated down to 2-ohm loads, but I'd prefer to stick with 4-8 ohm loads.

The DIY front is a possibility.  I do work with wood and am not averse to trying my hand at some basic projects, but am inclined to reserve that work for OB's and horns for the main system downstairs.

More soon.

bpape

• Industry Participant
  • I am serious and don't call my Shirley
    • Sensible Sound Solutions
« Reply #5 on: 7 Jun 2008, 07:51 pm »
If you want to do a kit, maybe try one of Danny's new monitors.  Haven't heard them personally but they've been getting some good talk.

Bryan

Val

« Reply #6 on: 7 Jun 2008, 08:35 pm »
There has never been a better time to purchase a good entry level system while keeping the upgrade path wide open. Besides the other recommendations, I would suggest AV123, specifically the ELT525 monitor and the X-Sub. Can't do better at twice the price. I recently purchased a pair of satin cherry MFW-15s and can't be any happier.

Upstateaudio

« Reply #7 on: 7 Jun 2008, 08:42 pm »
There has never been a better time to purchase a good entry level system while keeping the upgrade path wide open. Besides the other recommendations, I would suggest AV123, specifically the ELT525 monitor and the X-Sub. Can't do better at twice the price. I recently purchased a pair of satin cherry MFW-15s and can't be any happier.
2nd the recommendation.  I am using the ELT525 in a second system powered by an old NAD7225PE receiver using a Squeezebox as the main source.   I use it for background music, so to my ears the subwoofer isn't even necessary.  For $300, it certainly exceeded my expectations

bacobits1

• I spilled my fruitloops
« Reply #8 on: 7 Jun 2008, 11:24 pm »
How's about these?
http://www.tektondesign.com/images/Gallery13.jpg

$600 the set, your choice of finish.
I have not heard them, but I bet they sound good.

D

Canyoneagle

« Reply #9 on: 7 Jun 2008, 11:46 pm »
Those AV123's sure are inexpensive - seems like great bang for the buck these days!  The tektons look interesting too - the only issue I can see is that they appear to be single drivers (are those fostex drivers?), which might be on the bright side for my needs.

As far as upgrade path, I'll leave that to the basement system  aa

thanks for the suggestions - keep 'em coming.

Dimensions:
The main level kitchen/dining/living room is all open, and is about 25'x22'.  The Yamaha is 70wpc.  Since this is more of a 'social/ambient/entertaining' system, bang for the buck is the name of the game.  I am willing to spend up to $1000, which puts me into the used market very quickly.  However, some of these options are VERY intriguing.

When we were there today, the model had some 6" in-ceiling speakers that really filled the space with music (albeit not very good sound quality).  I would bet that most of these mm/sub options would work very well for this scenario.

lonewolfny42

• Speakers....What Speakers ?
« Reply #10 on: 8 Jun 2008, 12:46 am »
 Canyoneagle.....Do you have a budget ?

Correction.....I missed that .... :?
"I am willing to spend up to $1000, which puts me into the used market very quickly."

Canyoneagle

« Reply #11 on: 8 Jun 2008, 12:54 am »
Hi Chris,
Yep.  I'm trying to keep it within reason - $1000 or so is my initial budget, which is one reason I'm looking at the used market.  If need be, I can push it higher but for purposes of discussion I'll cap it at $1500-$1800.  So, bang for the buck.  I'd rather spend any additional spare cash on the main system in the basement (alnicos for the MaxHemps, a deephemp, OB DIY projects, maybe a pair of Audiokinesis Jazz Modules, room treatments, vinyl rig, etc etc etc).

Thanks,
Michael

lonewolfny42

« Reply #12 on: 8 Jun 2008, 12:56 am »
http://www.audioengineusa.com/

They may be of interest Mike....a few Raver's have them....sounded pretty good....at low cost.

Also....as mentioned....ACI...and GR Research. Take a look also at the small Usher speakers...I think their the 520's...big sound for a small speaker.

Canyoneagle

« Reply #13 on: 8 Jun 2008, 01:10 am »
Damn!  I din't even think that I could get into a set of Usher's within my budget!  the 520's just made my shortlist.

lonewolfny42

« Reply #14 on: 8 Jun 2008, 01:12 am »
Damn!  I din't even think that I could get into a set of Usher's within my budget!  the 520's just made my shortlist.

Your wife could pick the finish.... :wink:

Canyoneagle

Re: Sub/sat and/or wallmount/bookshelf speaker recommendations
« Reply #15 on: 8 Jun 2008, 01:20 am »
Now that the bookshelf range has become a possibility, what about Totem?  I've heard good things.

TerryO

« Reply #16 on: 8 Jun 2008, 01:22 am »

Hi Michael,
For your budget, in that room, I was going to suggest going with a kit. As I was involved in the prototyping of the speaker, I'll just let someone else do the talking. So...here's a review:

http://www.soundstage.com/diwhy/diwhy200804.htm

Best Regards,
TerryO

Edit: While I was typing this, evidently Marbles was also posting the same review. I do have a pair and yes, I like them very much :green:

Canyoneagle

« Reply #17 on: 8 Jun 2008, 01:23 am »
Hmmmmmm....  Nice!
This is probably not the first thread on this topic, but it is beginning to open my eyes for killer smaller speakers at an affordable price.

Since my particular needs will preclude stands (wall-mounted shelves or brackets are the likely method), a rear-ported design is out.  A sealed monitor or a front-ported design will be my preference.

I was put onto the danish "pod" speakers, which have gotten the thumbs up from my wife (she said they look like colorful buddha's), and appear to be well regarded for sound quality, although I've never heard them. Any thoughts?  http://www.podspeakers.com/Products/Minipod.aspx

You might want to consider these:  http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=53483.0

Kevin is VERY understated when it comes to his own products, winning awards isn't very easy though.

Those that have heard them seem to like them a LOT!

The link to the Soundstage review doesn't work, try this one:

http://www.soundstage.com/diwhy/diwhy200804.htm

lonewolfny42

« Reply #18 on: 8 Jun 2008, 01:28 am »
but it is beginning to open my eyes for killer smaller speakers at an affordable price.

Mike....
You find there are many good small speakers out there...and...at a nice price. 8)

Canyoneagle

« Reply #19 on: 8 Jun 2008, 01:33 am »
Yep, Chris, that is so true.
I wish I had held on to my old Linn Kan's!