Best sounding, Reasonably priced USB enabled DAC - HELP NEEDED

satfrat

• Restricted
  • Boston Red Sox!! 2004 / 2007 / 2013
Re: Best sounding, Reasonably priced USB enabled DAC - HELP NEEDED
« Reply #40 on: 15 Oct 2008, 01:36 am »

Remember, the USB cable have literally NO effect on the audio, unlike SPDIF cables. 

There have been reviews on the use of USB cables that have said just the opposite so I believe that you are wrong by making this blanket statement. But you are entitled to your opinion as am I. :D

To stay on topic, I used a M-Audio Rev 7 soundcard on my Windows XP and had decent tunes using DFX Audio Enhancer but I now use a Trends UD-10.1 USB transport w/CI VDC-SB power supply using a Bolder Cable Nitro DC cord. This setup simply blows away what I had using my soundcard. I presently am using a Kimber USB cable but will soon be trying out a Locus Design Axis USB cable,,, just to see if I can make a boead blanket "counter"statement that USB cable do infact make a substantial improvement.  :dunno: I also have a Crystal Cable Digit from the Trends digital out to my Sunfire processor's DAC. Works great for me. :D

Cheers,
Robin
« Last Edit: 5 Dec 2008, 10:49 am by satfrat »

low.pfile

« Reply #41 on: 15 Oct 2008, 02:44 am »

Bottom line is that there are really a lot of damned good DACs out there these days and a lot of it is going to come down to system synergy and personal tastes, and there is probably a good match for everybody in more than one price class.

-- Jim

I agree with this sentiment 100%

^^^ As do I!

*Scotty*

« Reply #42 on: 16 Oct 2008, 11:13 pm »
Lizard_King, you might want to take look at the  DacMagic from Cambridge Audio. Here are some links to some reviews. There is a lot of advanced technology in this package for only
$400.00 MSRP.  http://www.computeraudiophile.com/cambridge_audio_dacmagic    http://bitstream.soundandvisionmag.com/blog/2008/09/cambridge-audio.html  http://www.techradar.com/products/audio-visual/hi-fi-and-audio/audio-systems/cambridge-audio-dacmagic-digital-to-analogue-converter-465736/review
And a link on where to get it. http://www.wildwestelectronics.net/cambridge-audio-dac-magic-upsampling-audio-converter.html
Scotty 

mcullinan

« Reply #43 on: 16 Oct 2008, 11:21 pm »

Bottom line is that there are really a lot of damned good DACs out there these days and a lot of it is going to come down to system synergy and personal tastes, and there is probably a good match for everybody in more than one price class.

-- Jim

I agree with this sentiment 100%

^^^ As do I!
True and the differences between most new DACs are subtle. But subtlety can be the difference between average and great. Great to your ears.
Mike

pardales

Anyone hear a VALAB dac that occasionally sells on eBay? How about the Oritek OMZ?

pardales

« Reply #45 on: 13 Nov 2008, 02:29 am »
I am only aware of one Firewire DAC -- the Weiss Minerva (it is expensive - 5K) -- are there others?
« Last Edit: 15 Nov 2008, 01:59 am by pardales »

hifi2me

« Reply #46 on: 14 Nov 2008, 11:09 pm »
Anyone with experience using Stello DA220 mrkII?

philltubes

« Reply #47 on: 15 Nov 2008, 12:47 am »
I have the latest Valab dac, it's just about burned in, I don't claim to know what all dacs sound like but i've had enough digital to say the Valab is an absoute steal.  It is clear, open, dynamic, has great depth and detail, is vibrant and transparant and it sells for $180.00 shipped and has USB.  It takes about 175-200 hours to smooth out and get rid of the chalky dry edgy recessed sound but when it does you will be very suprised that a dac at this price can perform at this level.  It is not a warm mushy sounding dac, it has great leading edge detail which gives it a vibrant engaging character.

pardales

« Reply #48 on: 15 Nov 2008, 01:16 am »
Thanks for the word on the Valab DAC.

santacore

« Reply #49 on: 15 Nov 2008, 03:09 am »
Anyone with experience using Stello DA220 mrkII?I

Yep, I've owned one for a year or so. It beats the MKI, Lavry, Apogee, Lite DAC60, and Monarchy M24 and NM 24 that I previously have owned. I've been using the USB input exclusively and think it sounds fantastic. That said, I'm considering selling it as I found a tube DAC that I like just a tiny bit more.

musicman06

« Reply #50 on: 15 Nov 2008, 05:41 am »
Anyone with experience using Stello DA220 mrkII?I

Yep, I've owned one for a year or so. It beats the MKI, Lavry, Apogee, Lite DAC60, and Monarchy M24 and NM 24 that I previously have owned. I've been using the USB input exclusively and think it sounds fantastic. That said, I'm considering selling it as I found a tube DAC that I like just a tiny bit more.

And that tube DAC would be?

santacore

« Reply #51 on: 15 Nov 2008, 05:57 am »
The Xindak DAC-8. I've had it for about a month and have really enjoyed it. I haven't done a head to head with the Stello, but it certainly is making me happy. Shortly one of them will have to go as I can't afford to keep both. Fun times in audio!

Kane Williams

So pleased to hear that your Xindak is kicking butt. I have the DAC-5, which is very similar to the DAC-8 (not in looks). The DAC-8 just improved on a few things and added USB. I think the DAC-5 sounds great, but I've not had many DAC's to compare it too. Wish it had USB though.

I think anyone looking for a USB only DAC should check out the JAVS UHF-1, or their DAC-1 Overture for something with more bells and whistles. No English reviews or distributers that I can find outside of Korea, but it does look very good. The Overture will will do 24/96 USB to SPDIF for use with other DAC's as well. It uses latest USB 2 Audio standard and has some unusual parts in it etc. Great prices.

Cheers

jrebman

John,

Can you tell me about the xindak 8 -- their web page is terrible and I don't see any real information anywhere.  Price, technology, inputs., etc.?

Thanks,

Jim

tcsubwoofer

I was in the same boat as you and it seems like when I thought I settled on a DAC then somebody would recommend another DAC or I would find one via more extensive internet searches.  I thought that perhaps there were a couple DACs on the market - boy was I wrong!

I had shortlisted a used Benchmark DAC1, new Xindak, new Cambridge Audio Dac Magic, or new CityPulse DAC.  In the end I bought a TADAC from tube audio design.  Sorry - no USB input, but Paul Grzybek suggests using a Creative SoundBlaster X-Fi USB to toslink converter which I also bought.  The TADAC is a tube based design with a "tube" volume to bring more or less of the tubes in the analogue output circuit - set at your choice.  Has balanced XLR out, Burr Brown input circuitry to correct for jitter, remote, front volume control, and looks fantastically retro.  Couldn't be happier with my choice so far though I will admit I just had it delivered today and am listening to it late at night.  Lists for $899, but I got a better deal by buying a new one off ebay that Paul had listed and taking advantage of some specials that had been going on.

I recommend you add to your list.  I haven't found a single negative review yet.  Numerous reviews at audioreview and a scattering at other sites.  So for so good. :D  Here is a link: http://www.angelfire.com/biz/bizzyb/TADAC.html

rms

Something else for you to consider - If I were to buy another DAC at this point I would look for something with the flexibility of both s/pdif and usb inputs. My experience led me from a usb based output back to s/pdif. I had been using Win XP>foobar 0.8.3 playing .flac>usb out to Emu 0404> AVA Omegastar DAC >Hafler DH-500 Musical Concepts upgrades > SP Tech Continuums. I was noticing a bit of "edginess" (hard to describe exactly, and subtle, but not quite right sounding). At the recommendation of someone much more knowledgeable I acquired a RME 9652 soundcard and use the s/pdif out direct to the AVA DAC.

There is no longer any "edginess" and I believe I am much closer to hearing what the mastering engineer(s) wanted. It is now very close to my vinyl (if not better in some ways) but with none of the problems. It is the most musical, live, dynamic sound I have ever experienced.

So my suggestion is if you're going to spend a bunch of money on your new DAC, try to find one that will leave you options. As was mentioned before usb does have some technical limitations. It would be nice if the AVA had a usb in so I could do direct A/B without the Emu. However, I suspect it would not make a difference, the RME is truly an outstanding product.