Pocket sized point & shoot digital, with zoom

BobM

Pocket sized point & shoot digital, with zoom
« on: 1 Jun 2008, 01:17 am »
I have a Nikon Coolshot 4300 that I've been using for a pocket camera for several years now, but it's just way too slow and not flat enough to just stick in a pocket. This will be the main camera for my wife and kids so the shooting will be almost completely automatic, with no manual overriding that I can imagine.

So I'm looking for something new that has the following features:

- non digital zoom lens (it can  digitize on the extreme zooms)
- quick shutter response, like an SLR
- both a digital display and an eye viewfinder (so I can see my subject in bright light)
- built in flash
- point & shoot autofocus
- reasonable pixel size - but doesn't need to be 10mp
- flat enough to fit in a pocket or purse easily

Thanks for your recommendations,
Bob

giantsteps

Re: Pocket sized point & shoot digital, with zoom
« Reply #1 on: 1 Jun 2008, 01:25 am »

I like the Panasonic DMC-TZ5. I think it fits your needs ...AND .. it has wide angle - 28mm equivalent. A fun camera with respectable optics, light and fits in your pocket. Read the reviews.

Frank

Danberg

« Reply #2 on: 1 Jun 2008, 02:25 am »
I liked the reviews of Canon Power Shot SD870 IS.  I plan on getting one, as I have always had good luck with Canon products.  I also like the 28mm wide angle feature, a little difficult to find but quite practical for a point & shoot camera.  The image stabilization feature could be helpful, as the smaller cameras are difficult to hold still at times, giving blurred photos.

I'd suggest that you do research at "Digital Camera Resource Page".  They give very through reviews, show actual images (both still & video) taken with the cameras, give detailed specs, etc.  If you are not into all of that, they give a "summary" at the end of the review, listing the what they "liked" and "disliked" about the camera reviewed.

Looks like the Panasonic DMC-TZ5 is a good choice for you also, as previously suggested.  Only drawback that I see is it's "slow focusing" in low light.  Control buttons may be a bit small also.  I'd check both the Canon and Panasonic in a retail store, to make sure they both feel comfortable to you.

SET Man

« Reply #3 on: 1 Jun 2008, 02:29 am »
Hey!

This is tough... there are so many out there to choose from. It is really mind boggling. I find that choosing a P&S digicam harder than choosing DSLR  :icon_lol:

Well, good luck Bob and keep us posted on which one you ended up with :D

Take care,
Buddy :thumb:

BobM

« Reply #4 on: 1 Jun 2008, 04:01 am »
Looking through the reviews the Panasonic DMC-TZ5 looks very nice. A Leica lens and some nice picture quality, but no manual viewfinder.

As for the others they compare it to ...

Canon SX100 - bad red eye problems, weak/slow flash
Fuji S1000Fd - wrong body type
Olympus 1020 - don't like the look of this
Ricoh R8 - no stabilization, not a good review
Pentax Z10 - wrong body type
Sony DSC H10 - wrong body type
Kodak Z812 - wrong body type

Others that look interesting:

Canon A590 - seems to have fixed their red eye problems with the 2008 models, less zoom than the Panasonic (which also has a Leica lens), but it has a regular viewfinder - cheaper (@$150) than the Panasonic (@$275) (but I like that Leica lens and the 10x zoom)

Also, there's no Nikon point and shoot's reviewed on the website.

Need more suggestions please ...

« Last Edit: 1 Jun 2008, 12:48 pm by BobM »

giantsteps

« Reply #5 on: 1 Jun 2008, 04:19 am »

Screw the manual viewfinder! :D :thumb:

Frank

ooheadsoo

« Reply #6 on: 1 Jun 2008, 06:03 am »
That depends on if you want to shoot maybe 80 shots at most or a few hundred if you use the regular viewfinder.  The lcd is a huge battery draw.  IIRC, the a590 is not the ultra compact type.

brj

« Reply #7 on: 1 Jun 2008, 09:23 am »
I read something once that indicated that the "Leica" lens in most point-n-shoots is not actually manufactured by Leica.  I don't recall the exact relationship, and could be wrong, but it is probably worth double checking if it weighs heavily in your decision.

Doublej

« Reply #8 on: 1 Jun 2008, 02:00 pm »
Canon G9?

Tons of information about cameras can be found at:

www.dpreview.com

Good luck

BobM

« Reply #9 on: 1 Jun 2008, 04:03 pm »
I reviewed the Panasonic TZ5 with the wife, who would be the primary user, and she wants to find something smaller (damn, I was really starting to like this camera). Small enough to fit into a belly pouch on vacation and leave room for her lipstick and such. So it's an ultra-compact I'm looking for.

In this category the best ones I see on the review sites seem to be:

Canon DS850
Canon SD1100
Sony W130
Panasonic FS3

Any other recommendations here? I won't be getting as nice a zoom, and the flash seems to be weak all around. Battery life is also not as good and redeye seems to be more of an issue.

Bob
« Last Edit: 1 Jun 2008, 04:34 pm by BobM »

JohnR

« Reply #10 on: 1 Jun 2008, 04:40 pm »
- quick shutter response, like an SLR

If this is important, you can get actual timings from the reviews on dpreview.com. I doubt you will find a P&S that responds like an SLR though.

Nikon D60
Power Off to Shot  0.1

Canon SD1100 IS Digital ELPH
Full-press Lag (0->S2)     LCD live view, wide angle     ~0.5
Off to Shot Taken     LCD live view     ~1.2

Canon PowerShot SD850 IS Digital ELPH
Full-press Lag (0->S2)     LCD live view, wide angle     ~0.6
Off to Shot Taken    LCD live view    ~1.8

Panasonic Lumix DMC-TZ5
Full-press Lag (0->S2)     LCD live view, wide angle, High Speed AF     ~0.5
Off to Shot Taken    LCD live view    ~2.4

(Numbers are in seconds)

DaveC113

• Industry Contributor
  • ZenWaveAudio.com
« Reply #11 on: 1 Jun 2008, 06:11 pm »
I'm a big fan of Fuji's F series. Especially if low light performance and image quality are top priorities. This camera has a better CCD than anything on the market. The image doesn't come out quite as polished as a Canon, IMO, but its more neutral and detailed, so it surpasses Canon if you do post processing. I thought I might (post-process), but I just set the camera to the "fujichrome" setting most of the time and don't post process. Yes, I am far too lazy for photoshop, even though its on my computer.  :green:

Another bonus is the price. I paid $150 with a 1 gig memory card on ebay. Also, battery life is spectacular. You can take hundreds of shots on one charge, with the LCD and flash blazing away.

http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/fujifilmf50fd/page17.asp

http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/fujifilmf31fd/page17.asp

Edit: looking closer, the f50 has traded most of its low light advantage for a 12mp ccd, and the battery life is about 1/2 of what it was. The f30 cameras look like they have appreciated considerably and are very expensive, but the f20 is still super cheap on ebay. You are giving up full manual control, which isn't used by many on a p&s. Also, the f20's battery will last hundreds of shots, even though the f30 is an upgraded battery over the f20.
« Last Edit: 1 Jun 2008, 06:33 pm by DaveC113 »

BobM

« Reply #12 on: 2 Jun 2008, 11:34 am »
OK I think I've narrowed it down to one of these 2:

Mostly leaning toward the SD1100 because of its automatic red eye correction. It doesn't have as many ready controls as the SD850, but it really is only going to be used as a point and shoot. Wish the lens went down to 28mm wide though.

Any last minute comments, suggestions or items of interest before I pick one of these for my wife? Amazon has them for sale with free shipping, and I figure I can get a 4GB SD card on e-bay for less than $10. Probably pick up an extra battery there also, just in case.

Thanks,
Bob
« Last Edit: 2 Jun 2008, 12:41 pm by BobM »

JohnR

« Reply #13 on: 2 Jun 2008, 12:22 pm »
Any last minute comments, suggestions or items of interest before I pick one of these for my wife?

Yes - please post some pictures taken with it. We don't get enough of that ;)

goldlizsts

• Let Music Flow!
« Reply #14 on: 2 Jun 2008, 12:54 pm »
OK I think I've narrowed it down to one of these 2:

Mostly leaning toward the SD1100 because of its automatic red eye correction. It doesn't have as many ready controls as the SD850, but it really is only going to be used as a point and shoot. Wish the lens went down to 28mm wide though.

Any last minute comments, suggestions or items of interest before I pick one of these for my wife? Amazon has them for sale with free shipping, and I figure I can get a 4GB SD card on e-bay for less than $10. Probably pick up an extra battery there also, just in case.

Thanks,
Bob

Canon is not known for red-eye reduction (in fact, most P&S's), so the feature you're emphasizing here is good. 

The one thing I have, sort of, against (bad word) the Canons is the lack of a longer zoom.  Typically 3X.  Being able to pull in a subject, thus improving the picture's presentation (being less busy and distracting) is so desirable, with a bigger zoom.  Most P&S camera users just, really, point and shoot and take in 10 thousand items into the picture, very undesirable.  Also, a long zoom is so much more desirable for outdoor/travel picture taking.  With a larger zoom (say at least 6X optical zoom), when one can pull in the little animal at the zoo, is so much better than having all the surrounding empty space around the subject (with just a 3X zoom).

The Canons here used SD card, that's desirable too, 'cos SD cards are so much cheaper ($10 for 2 GB from Buy.com, $15 for 4 GB, here and there.) than say a CF.  Of course, CF cards are more rugged, and more visible if misplaced (hard to lose).

Thebiker

« Reply #15 on: 2 Jun 2008, 01:03 pm »
I like the Panasonic Lumix.  My wife carries hers everywhere with her and you just can't beat Leica optics.  It may not be the fastest, but it is reliable with good quality images.  Fits in a shirt pocket and is always on the bike with us, in her pocket or in her hand with the wrist strap utilized.

Walt

BobM

« Reply #16 on: 2 Jun 2008, 01:16 pm »
Yeah, if I had my choice the Panasonic TZ5 would be on the way right now, but this is for my wife and she is emphasizing a small size (to fit in a belly pouch or pocketbook). I know, there's not too much difference here, but apparently there is enough to her eyes.

I have a Yashica 35mm with a nice Leica lens on it also that is the same size as the TZ5. That's my point and shoot film camera. The pictures are truly great on this little gem, but holding it in her hand she said "too big". Go figure.

Bob

Thebiker

« Reply #17 on: 2 Jun 2008, 01:25 pm »
Too big :scratch:.  Its no bigger than that pack of cigarettes I uses to carry, but if she doesn't like it, she won't use it.  I am so glad mine listens to reason.  If I tell her something is superior and tell her why, she will generally go that way.  But when it comes to cameras, she used to use a Mamaiya, which makes the pocket Panasonic tiny.

Walt

boead

« Reply #18 on: 2 Jun 2008, 01:38 pm »
I tried a couple of point and shoots recently, bought the Panasonic FX07 and I don’t’ like it at all. Poor ratio of good to bad photos. The Canon SD8xx IS is the absolute best! I’m buying one soon. I owned the 800IS for some time, it got stolen -  9 out of 10 shots were great.

Tubes 4 Ever

« Reply #19 on: 2 Jun 2008, 01:44 pm »
I use the panasonic tz5 and find it on the size scale to be about perfect for pocketable p&s cams. My only real complaint is a long standing one with the panasonics and that is noise at low light, pretty obvious. But in most lighting situations for fast use I really like it. The image I posted on pic of the day was with my TZ, image was doctored up a bit but you can get the idea.
Tubes