Pocket sized point & shoot digital, with zoom

giantsteps

Re: Pocket sized point & shoot digital, with zoom
« Reply #20 on: 2 Jun 2008, 02:43 pm »

BobM

All I can say is that the biggest complaint I always hear is " why doesn't this camera fit more in?"...alluding to a limited wide angle lens.
 The 2nd biggest? You guessed it..."I wish I could zoom in on that little bird!"

Frank

BobM

« Reply #21 on: 2 Jun 2008, 03:35 pm »
Well I took a ride up to Circuit City with the wife and the Panasonic TZ5 is definitely too big. They didn't even have it sitting with the other compacts, but over with the bigger boys. Even the Canon's looked big compared to some others.

Se did like the Sony DSC-W300, but it's on the expensive side and has 13mp's which is way overkill. I need to do more research to see if there is a model with about 8mp and this size. Looking at the following now:

Olympus Stylus
Sony's
Nikon S210
Panasonic DMC-FS3
Casio's

Yes, I would still like something that goes wide to 28mm and has at least a 5x-6x zoom on it too, and auto red eye correction.

Bob

Thebiker

« Reply #22 on: 2 Jun 2008, 03:50 pm »
Oops, my bad.  I was thinking of the Lumix DMC-FX35K.  The TZ-5 is a bit larger than that, mainly thicker I think.

Walt

boead

« Reply #23 on: 3 Jun 2008, 01:30 pm »
Here are some samples of the Panasonic LUMIX FX07.
click on images to see hi res.

These are some of the good ones, they were few and far between. I'll post some of the others if you want to see them but they are just bad! Camera is good in bright light with ISO set at 100. Horrible indoors with flash and in poor lighting.

Link to some shots with my Nikon DX40
http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=54776.new#new

BobM

« Reply #24 on: 3 Jun 2008, 02:22 pm »
Decision made between finalists:

Sony DSC-150
Canon SD1100 IS

And the winner is ... Cannon SD1100

Sony battery life was better and it had a 5x lens, but the Canon seemed to do better in the photo comparisons, plus it has automatic red eye correction at the time of the shot. Then the idea of having to get yet a different memory card type (MemStick Pro Duo) plus a reader turned me off.

Picking up extra batteries and a 4GB SD card on e-bay for it. So I guess I'm all set (or my wife is all set) for our July vacation. Hey, maybe I'll actually appear in some photos this time around since she will have the camera!

Enjoy,
Bob

Levi

« Reply #25 on: 3 Jun 2008, 03:50 pm »
Yup.  I like the Canon better.

It's too bad, you have to pay taxes now for all online (out-of-state) purchases.  Lucky you, not much taxes for $250 purchase.

-Levi
« Last Edit: 3 Jun 2008, 04:57 pm by Levi »

BobM

« Reply #26 on: 3 Jun 2008, 04:23 pm »
I don't think all of the vendors have instituted that policy yet. At least I didn't see it at checkout time.

Enjoy,
Bob

brj

« Reply #27 on: 3 Jun 2008, 05:22 pm »
Quote from: Levi
It's too bad, you have to pay taxes now for all online (out-of-state) purchases.

Sorry for the OT comment, but I thought the states were all still bickering about how to implement this?  Did something finally pass?

nathanm

« Reply #28 on: 3 Jun 2008, 05:29 pm »
Folks, please don't get started on taxes, I will have to lock my own thread and reprimand myself!  My blood pressure is already high enough as is! Cameras, cameras, think cameras!

brj

« Reply #29 on: 3 Jun 2008, 05:34 pm »
No worries, Nathan, I didn't plan to discuss the issues at all... just wanted to know if I was about to have to comply with a new law!

nathanm

« Reply #30 on: 3 Jun 2008, 06:32 pm »
Hopefully Amazon sells buckets of tar, feather pillows, torches, pitchforks and plane tickets to Washington DC! :thumb:

BobM

« Reply #31 on: 3 Jun 2008, 06:38 pm »
Hey, I'd like to get a picture of that event, for sure. Reminds me of Huckelberry Finn ... being ridden out of town on a rail.

Then we would have to get a whole new batch of currupt (hmmm maybe not the right word, but maybe it is come to think of it) representatives.

Bob

PS: Camera, Camera, Camera ... just to keep this on topic

Levi

« Reply #32 on: 3 Jun 2008, 06:42 pm »
I just had to throw that in there (tax).  Lol.

Yeah so I think you will be happy with the Canon SD1100.  My wife loves her SD1000 because it is small enough to carry in her purse.  Battery lasts aswell.

-Levi

boead

« Reply #33 on: 3 Jun 2008, 07:14 pm »
Folks, please don't get started on taxes, I will have to lock my own thread and reprimand myself!  My blood pressure is already high enough as is! Cameras, cameras, think cameras!

I like the SD870IS better, very similar to the SD1100. I compared the lenses on may review sites and the 870’s not only wider but slightly softer and more pleasant in my opinion.

craig223

« Reply #34 on: 3 Jun 2008, 08:38 pm »
I got a Canon SD 1000 last year.  It is a great little camera, especially for traveling.  It's biggest flaw is shutter lag.  If you shoot a lot of fast moving subjects, like children, you may be happier with a SLR.

lazydays

« Reply #35 on: 23 Jun 2008, 05:14 am »
before you run out and buy another point & shoot camera take a good look at the little Samsung NV24. Uses Schineder lenses, and has a large buffer in it. Plus it's all metal and glass (no plastics). Next best one is the 12 meg Fuji point & shoot camera.
gary