Nuforce Icon S-1 Speakers

DZetye

Nuforce Icon S-1 Speakers
« on: 28 May 2008, 08:13 pm »
When will the matching speakers for the Icon (S-1) be available to order?  I thought the date was after May 25th on Amazon but i checked and still nothing there yet.

Toka

Re: Nuforce Icon S-1 Speakers
« Reply #1 on: 29 May 2008, 02:01 pm »
Good question! I would also like to see pics of the other color schemes (assuming they are available).

rustydoglim

• Industry Contributor
    • www.nuprimeaudio.com
« Reply #2 on: 8 Jun 2008, 11:18 am »
We'll publish pics next week.  The speakers are heavy and we have to ship by sea, still waiting to confirm production date.

rustydoglim

• Industry Contributor
    • www.nuprimeaudio.com
« Reply #3 on: 10 Jun 2008, 10:43 am »
We are under tremendous amount of pressure from everyone to deliver these speakers. Yes, they are coming out of production!!!
But it will take some time to scale up the production as the initial 300 pairs will be ready for shipping 1st week of July (a small quantity will be shipped around end of June). Note that silver/blue S-1 will not be ready until mid July.

Same list price as Icon, $249 per pair.  Sorry, no bundle price, it is already a bargain at this price point! :thumb:

budbrew

« Reply #4 on: 13 Jun 2008, 02:18 pm »
Will the S-1s be available for pre-order soon? I'd like to get in line. I have the red Icon and so far really like it, but I'd like to hear it with the Nuforce speakers.

rustydoglim

• Industry Contributor
    • www.nuprimeaudio.com
« Reply #5 on: 17 Jun 2008, 07:40 am »
We can start to take pre-order this Friday or next Monday.  I need to confirm the production schedule.
4 pairs of S-1 have already been shipped to Wired (for the website), TheStreet.com, 6moons.com, and The Courant for review.
That's all the S-1 production samples we managed to get.  Mass production speaker factory don't make them a few at a time. After the samples, we get everything in one lot. That's why it took us so long to get the production going.

ooheadsoo

« Reply #6 on: 17 Jun 2008, 08:09 am »
Is there a crossover in the speaker or is it run "naked" like many of the full range guys like?

Srajan Ebaen

• Industry Participant
« Reply #7 on: 17 Jun 2008, 09:08 am »
We have a little preview up on 6moons as of an hour ago which might explain some of these questions. The only "active crossover" on the speaker is actually built into the Icon as a presence-region EQ. It gets activated with the RJ45 cables where one conductor is used to recognize the S-1 and then link 1 and 8 of the CAT5 wire are connected to close a circuit and invoke the EQ. That's centered at 1.5kHz with a -6dB attenuation value. (The waveguide/horn-loading creates a 6dB lift which needs to be shelved down).

Whether NuForce runs a high-pass on the driver to protect it from LF info it couldn't reproduce in the first place but might try is a good question to which I don't get know the answer  :duh:

slwiser

« Reply #8 on: 17 Jun 2008, 11:42 pm »
Let us have a link to the preview of the S-1.  I just check the front page and could not locate one.

PhishPhan

saisunil

« Reply #10 on: 18 Jun 2008, 01:47 am »
Srajan - you have a way with words - nice preview indeed.
Jason, in time, could indeed turn out to be a savior of audiophile industry ...

Cheers

rustydoglim

• Industry Contributor
    • www.nuprimeaudio.com
« Reply #11 on: 26 Jun 2008, 08:07 pm »
We are accepting pre-order for S-1 now!

budbrew

« Reply #12 on: 26 Jun 2008, 11:20 pm »
I assume the S-1s can be used with the current 2 meter speaker cable that I just bought for the Icon?

DavidS

« Reply #13 on: 27 Jun 2008, 05:04 am »
if I pre-order a pair now what does the delivery date look like?

rustydoglim

• Industry Contributor
    • www.nuprimeaudio.com
« Reply #14 on: 27 Jun 2008, 10:17 am »
S-1 uses standard Cat5 or Cat6 (better quality) ethernet cable.  The 2m RJ45 to banana speaker wire is for "normal" speaker.
S-1 is custom designed to work with Icon systems only.

We can ship black/silver and black/red S-1 around July 15.
Silver/blue S-1 shipment is around July 30 to August 3
We are trying to confirm the ship date for black/black S-1, probably around July 20 to 25.

budbrew

« Reply #15 on: 27 Jun 2008, 05:12 pm »
I had wishlisted the S-1s in black/black on Amazon yesterday. I was going to order today after my annual review but it does not look like I can order them now?

You need to update the S-1 product page because there is no mention of the cat5 cable requirement. I purchased the current 2 meter cable assuming I could use it with the S-1s.

Toka

« Reply #16 on: 27 Jun 2008, 08:54 pm »
I placed an order for the silver/black yesterday (along with the CAT6 cable and 42W PSU)...can't wait for them to show up, especially since I have this Icon sitting here with nothing to do.  :cry:

I'll be sure to post my detailed impressions once it all arrives...hope others do the same!

SLT Tech

« Reply #17 on: 2 Jul 2008, 12:37 am »
A mini-review of the S-1 from one of our customers:- http://www.xtremeplace.com/yabbse/index.php?topic=55194.0  :thumb:

Matoo

« Reply #18 on: 3 Jul 2008, 12:19 pm »
Very nice review. But still nothing on how S-1 + Icon perform at filling a medium room (let's say 15x15 feet, at low/medium volume most of the time). Any thoughts about that ?

I know S-1 are designed to be desktop speakers, maybe I should simply buy bigger speakers and pair them with a 45W PSU powered Icon (if the 45W PSU actually is of any help), but I can only afford < $300 speakers and the quality would probably take a dive compared to S-1.

Any input about this would be hugely appreciated since it's basically the only thing keeping me from ordering right now. ^^

Edit : Nevermind, I've ordered the full package, Icon + S-1 + 42W PSU + 2m cable. :green:
« Last Edit: 4 Jul 2008, 01:39 pm by Matoo »

rustydoglim

• Industry Contributor
    • www.nuprimeaudio.com
« Reply #19 on: 13 Jul 2008, 07:41 pm »
Since S-1 has no pot, you can place it very close to the wall to get much better bass.