Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull

Bigfish

Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull
« on: 26 May 2008, 12:40 am »
My wife, my son and I saw the new Indiana Jones Movie this afternoon.  It was good but I think we all left the theater feeling it was not as good as the third Indiana Jones Movie.  Should you chose to go see this one I do not feel you will leave disappointed but I don't think it deserves all of the hype it is getting.  I think I will rate it at 6.5 stars out of 10.

Ken

ctviggen

Re: Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull
« Reply #1 on: 26 May 2008, 01:37 am »
How would you rate the original three?  I remember liking the first and the third.  I couldn't stand the second one.

ajzepp

« Reply #2 on: 26 May 2008, 02:12 am »
How would you rate the original three?  I remember liking the first and the third.  I couldn't stand the second one.

Best thing about the second one was Kate Capshaw's cleavage  :thumb:

HumanMedia

« Reply #3 on: 26 May 2008, 02:54 am »
I went in with very low expectations as a description I read described the new film as being to to Indiana Jones what Phantom Menace was to Star Wars.

But I was pleasantly surprised and would rate 'Skull' as second after Raiders of the Lost Ark.  Crystal Skull has some terribly silly and corny bits, but the whole series does and people often remember the older films as being better than they are.  Maybe we were more forgiving when the previous films first came out...

S Clark

• a riot is the language of the unheard- Dr. King
« Reply #4 on: 26 May 2008, 04:00 am »
Wife and I agree that it was the weakest of the set.  Still, it's worth seeing if your a fan

Rob Babcock

• Volunteer
« Reply #5 on: 26 May 2008, 04:28 am »
I'm on the fence- most of the reviews peg it as mediocre, but Ebert raved it up.  I suppose it'll be a must-see on DVD but I'm not sure if I'll catch it at the theater or not.  Maybe I'll just watch Iron Man again instead! 8)

Cacophonix

« Reply #6 on: 26 May 2008, 05:30 am »
Saw this movie a couple of days back.

It was okay, i thought. Doesn't break any new ground ... I'd rate it a 7/10 for the simple reason that it didn't suck.

goldlizsts

• Let Music Flow!
« Reply #7 on: 26 May 2008, 11:12 am »
I'm on the fence- most of the reviews peg it as mediocre, but Ebert raved it up.  I suppose it'll be a must-see on DVD but I'm not sure if I'll catch it at the theater or not.  Maybe I'll just watch Iron Man again instead! 8)

Go for Iron Man, hands down.  This 4th Indy flick is for the only reason of "milking" it, or paving the way for Indy Jr. to take over?  The Ford of 19 years ago has turned into a Model T. 

bz79

• cz photography
« Reply #8 on: 27 May 2008, 09:16 pm »
I plan on waiting till hit's DVD based on what I keep hearing about it.  :|

ajzepp

« Reply #9 on: 27 May 2008, 10:28 pm »
Saw it yesterday...was very disappointed. Seemed like it was two hours of, "Indy gets caught by Russians, Indy escapes. Indy gets caught by Russians again, Indy escapes. Indy ALMOST gets caught by Russians, Indy escapes. The end." 

Those stupid beaver scenes were screaming George Lucas, too. No don't get me wrong, I'm a total Lucas mark and the guy can pretty much do no wrong in my eyes...but he did this sort of thing in Phantom Menace, too, and it got annoying quick.

I hate to say it, but they need to put Indy to bed. Either that or make sure they have an EXCEPTIONAL screenplay before making another film. I know it's doing very well at the box office, but they're messing with a legacy here!  :nono:

klh

« Reply #10 on: 27 May 2008, 10:33 pm »
I saw it over the weekend. Parts were no doubt over the top, and the CG was annoying, but overall I think it's worth seeing. Some movies are more fun to see in a theater and I think this is one of them... especially if you keep your expectations in check. I thought the corny lines were funny... much better than Brosnan's in his Bond roles. I'd say the most disappointing parts of the movie were the abundant use of CG and the dismal score. They didn't bring back the old theme music nearly enough. BTW, Ford looked older than dirt in the film (pun intended ;))... but they did a good job of making fun of it.

edit: those stupid animal things were hilarious, but they had no place in this film. Lucas' input was appearant throughout the film... and I think it was to the film's detriment.

goldlizsts

• Let Music Flow!
« Reply #11 on: 28 May 2008, 12:51 am »
I saw it over the weekend. Parts were no doubt over the top, and the CG was annoying, but overall I think it's worth seeing. Some movies are more fun to see in a theater and I think this is one of them... especially if you keep your expectations in check. I thought the corny lines were funny... much better than Brosnan's in his Bond roles. I'd say the most disappointing parts of the movie were the abundant use of CG and the dismal score. They didn't bring back the old theme music nearly enough. BTW, Ford looked older than dirt in the film (pun intended ;))... but they did a good job of making fun of it.

edit: those stupid animal things were hilarious, but they had no place in this film. Lucas' input was appearant throughout the film... and I think it was to the film's detriment.

The fast-moving action scenes are the only reason to see an Indy movies in the movie house, unless you have a mansion with a sound room equipped anywhere close to the sound effects like in a theater.  Other than that, Indy should claim no merits.  Anyone who wants to see a movie of substance should see Redbelt.  This movie's got action too, but with substance :thumb:.  It is a gem of a movie from David Mamet.  Sadly, it's passing like under the radar.  Indy is another illustration of how box office receipts doesn't equate to quality achievement. :rotflmao:

launche

• ...on being an audiophile...no.
« Reply #12 on: 28 May 2008, 01:21 am »
Saw this one today, kinda took me back to when I could get wrapped up in a Jones film.  I enjoyed seeing this sytle of movie making again but wish it would have dug a little deeper.  But then again what is to be expected, the series is well past its prime.

Now this film will mak a ton of money based off it's lineage and name recognition.  Which makes it hard for the players involved to not make this film even though I imagine they knew they have a substandard film by its own accounts.

nodiak

« Reply #13 on: 28 May 2008, 01:56 am »
I saw it in the local old theatre. It's fun to go there as it has decades old lumpy reclining seats and is pretty small. It was Sunday and I sat up in the balcony. Both levels were full of families, lotsa pre pubescent boys, little girls, moms and dads. Lotsa popcorn and snacks in the air. It was the perfect crowd and setting. Everyone laughed at any opportunity, like the prairie dogs, a few whoo hoo's here and there. They even applauded at the end!
I appreciated the crowd, and the picnic atmosphere they brought to it. It made it more fun for me. Otherwise I would've gotten bogged down by the unfortunate blahness of much of the actual movie. They followed the formula but lost the freshness. Couldn't help myself, kept getting urges to laugh at Blanchett's Natasha-like character. Looks like they want to keep it going with Indy jr., maybe that will work out.
Don

ecramer

• Volunteer
  • In time whats deserved always get served.
« Reply #14 on: 28 May 2008, 05:31 am »
I went Monday to see this movie real early in the morning so there was not much of a crowd. I enjoyed it. I really liked all the little nods to other Lucas Spelberg(s) films.\\ed

satfrat

• Restricted
  • Boston Red Sox!! 2004 / 2007 / 2013
« Reply #15 on: 5 Jun 2008, 11:07 am »
I just took my first opportunity to go to a not so local stadium type theater to watch a matinee doubleheader, Indiana & Ironman. I wasn't expecting Indiana to be as entertaining as it actually was, partially from what I had read here and the fact it's been so many years since the last sequel. I was pleasently surprised to find Indiana hadn't lost a beat. I thought the plot was supurb as were the special effects and the action was nonstop,,,, it was pure Indiana w/o the age discrimination.  :icon_lol:

4.5 out of 5 stars,,,,, just beat out Ironman.  :thumb:

Cheers,
Robin

PhilNYC

« Reply #16 on: 5 Jun 2008, 11:53 am »
I saw this last night and was very disappointed.  IMHO, it was very much in the same class as Spiderman 3...rushed, corny, over-produced, completely unbelievable and overall just not very engaging.  The fact that they used so much CGI and studio sets was annoying...part of what made Raiders and Indy 3 so great was how they actually took you places, using real locations, but in this film, I don't think they left the Paramount lot.  Overall, this just seemed like a really lazy effort by Spielberg and Lucas.

I must go out of my way to point out that the jungle vine-swinging scene was absolutely ridiculous.

goldlizsts

• Let Music Flow!
« Reply #17 on: 5 Jun 2008, 01:52 pm »
I saw this last night and was very disappointed.  IMHO, it was very much in the same class as Spiderman 3...rushed, corny, over-produced, completely unbelievable and overall just not very engaging.  The fact that they used so much CGI and studio sets was annoying...part of what made Raiders and Indy 3 so great was how they actually took you places, using real locations, but in this film, I don't think they left the Paramount lot.  Overall, this just seemed like a really lazy effort by Spielberg and Lucas.

I must go out of my way to point out that the jungle vine-swinging scene was absolutely ridiculous.

IMHO Messrs. Lucas and Spielberg are just taking the fans for a ride, assuming they'll flock to see the movie just because it's got the "Indy" name, putting out a story beyond credibility, played by a Model T Ford.  Messrs. Lucas and Spielberg don't have any standard in what they do anymore :duh:?  (Purely based on this Indy movie!).  Perhaps, perhaps, they made this movie like what some "renowned" authors do these days, just by rendering their names to the book, while the author is actually some other devil :icon_twisted:.

launche

• ...on being an audiophile...no.
« Reply #18 on: 5 Jun 2008, 03:38 pm »
I just took my first opportunity to go to a not so local stadium type theater to watch a matinee doubleheader, Indiana & Ironman. I wasn't expecting Indiana to be as entertaining as it actually was, partially from what I had read here and the fact it's been so many years since the last sequel. I was pleasently surprised to find Indiana hadn't lost a beat. I thought the plot was supurb as were the special effects and the action was nonstop,,,, it was pure Indiana w/o the age discrimination.  :icon_lol:

4.5 out of 5 stars,,,,, just beat out Ironman.  :thumb:

Cheers,
Robin

Very interesting...4.5 out of 5 stars.

I'm always very interested in how we mentally approach a movie and what role that plays in our perception of the film.  We can have different moods, levels of info., hx about the actors etc... that wildly shape how we perceive a film beyond it's own merit, obviously there's alot involved...very natural of course.  But with movies it seems it doesn't take much to shape our perception and have that affect the way we view the film.

In many cases I might try not to even see the trailers anymore or read the press for the film.  Many film I go and see just by the movie name, movie poster and sometimes actors.

I rushed this post as I'm in a hurry but hopefully it makes some sense.

Now if I were rating INDY I would give it 2.5 of out 5 stars.  I admit to some bias in my rating as I share some of the negative sentiments expressed by others here.  I felt a bit insulted by the whole affair.

stlblue

« Reply #19 on: 5 Jun 2008, 03:58 pm »
The first words that I said to my wife after this movie was, "It took almost 20 years to for this?" To think they said they had a hard time agreeing on the script...imagine what got scrapped.  :roll: Wait for the video or network TV.